The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, when he wrote it was never an interest to me. It’s that he traced the family history to a much earlier time that got my attention.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I just read that the name is suspected to derive from Middle German, meaning “branch or seedling”.
'Branch' would be "ast" (plural "este"), while seedling was "setzelinc" or "sätzling" [as it still is today] in Middle High German. (A "sätzling" means a cut branch, used for getting a new tree.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They suspect the surname is an alternate spelling of a German surname, translated in Middle Low German.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:42 am
I owe the thread an apology. I’m leaving this here and starting another thread with a title aligned to this Brit genealogy conversation. It’s been quite fascinating, and renewed my interest.

Old Saxon, also known as Old Low German, is a West Germanic language. It is documented from the 9th century until the 12th century, when it evolved into Middle Low German. It was spoken on the north-west coast of Germany and in Denmark by Saxon peoples.

0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 07:26 am
I am so tired of hearing about it which is kinda sad really. Its been a week & there is still press about her dad, his ex etc. I mean come on its over!!! Di was "hounded" by the media, let it go guys!! Not everyone wants to know what kind of milk they eat on there Wheaties!!!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 08:14 am
@Agent1741,
Well go to a different thread then? Nobody's forcing you to contribute to this one. I'm not interested in the Royal wedding either, but plenty of my American friends derive great pleasure from it, and I'm not some bloody killjoy.

If you'd actually read the thread you'd find we're not talking about the Royal wedding but the attractions that the beautiful counties on the South Coast have to offer.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:28 am
I'm spending this morning watching the Royal Ascot. What a treat!

I don't know that it has been televised here before. I've never seen a racetrack quite like this before--so plush and green---and the entire setting and ambience is so attractive and elegant. The Queen, and other Royals,
certaiinly add to that.

I'm really enjoying it all--the men in morning attire with their top hats, the women in lovely dresses and festive hats, and, of course, the magnificent horses and the races. The first race winner, a horse named Arthur Kitt, even has a moving backstory.

I'm an unabashed Anglophile, and i'm happy I'm able to enjoy a bit of the Royal Ascot today. Got to go now, the Royal Diamond Jubilee Sweepstakes are about to get underway.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:33 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I'm really enjoying it all--the men in morning attire with their top hats, the women in lovely dresses and festive hats, and, of course, the magnificant. horses and the races. The first race winner, a horse namef Arthur Kitt, even has a moving backstory.

There's been a lot of trouble at the races recently.

Quote:
The Racecourse Association is confident that it can prevent fighting at venues from becoming an endemic problem after two weekends of violence at Goodwood and Ascot.

A mass brawl at Goodwood on Bank Holiday weekend was followed by similarly vicious scenes at Ascot on Saturday, albeit on a smaller scale.

With footage of both fights widely available on social media, the worry for racing is that it becomes the ‘in’ place for a scrap when it aims to be a family-friendly sport.

While at the moment they are two small camp fires the concern is that, fanned by the wind of publicity on social media, it becomes an out-of-control bushfire and begins to undo all the good done by racecourses in the past few years.

Officials have worked to make venues civilised places where you can take children and grandparents and worry about neither.

The protagonists at both incidents appeared to be fit young men in smart suits clearly well-off enough to buy the best tickets and plenty of drink. Racecourses find themselves on the horns of a dilemma; promoting themselves as safe yet well aware that the sale of alcohol is a useful income stream.

In that respect, the RCA is not coming at this issue from a standing start. It has had the Pace Yourself campaign in place for four years and, a beefed-up version, Pace Yourself Plus, has been introduced this year to tackle the issue of recreational drugs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2018/05/14/racing-confident-can-halt-spectator-violence-fighting-atgoodwood/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:26 pm
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/87D5/production/_102637743_georgebday.jpg
Quote:
A new official picture of Prince George has been released as he turns five.

The eldest child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was photographed in the garden of Clarence House.

The picture, showing the prince grinning at something - or someone - off camera, was taken after the christening of Prince Louis.

The photographer, Matt Porteous, had also taken private pictures for William and Kate at the christening of two-month-old Louis earlier this month.

More at link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44912065
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 12:47 am
I feel pretty sorry for Megan. Her father’s side of the family is trash.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/07/samantha-markle-meghan-celebrity-big-brother/amp
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 01:10 pm
Quote:
Princess Eugenie has married her long-term partner Jack Brooksbank at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.

The ninth in line to the throne was watched by her grandmother, the Queen, and Prince Philip, along with other members of her family.

Among 850 guests were celebrities such as Cara Delevingne and Robbie Williams, while 1,200 people chosen by ballot followed proceedings from the grounds.

They cheered as the newlyweds kissed twice on the chapel steps.

Guests laid out picnic blankets and quaffed champagne but had umbrellas at the ready and often had to fix their fascinators in the blustery conditions.

There were huge cheers when the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh arrived.

The service was also attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Mother of the bride Sarah, Duchess of York, wore a vibrant green outfit and sat alongside her eldest daughter, Eugenie's sister, Princess Beatrice.

However, the Duchess of Cornwall missed the service to attend engagements including a display of Highland dancing near the Royal Family's home at Balmoral.

Princess Eugenie, the 28-year-old daughter of Prince Andrew, kept breaking into a broad smile during the ceremony.

Her dress - with full-length train - was designed by Peter Pilotto and Christopher De Vos, who founded British label Peter Pilotto.

It featured a neckline folding around the shoulders to a low back at the request of the bride, who wanted to show a scar from surgery to correct scoliosis when she was 12.

She wore the Queen's Greville Emerald Kokoshnik Tiara, made by Boucheron in 1919, featuring brilliant and rose-cut diamonds, pave set in platinum, with six emeralds on either side.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, acted as pageboy and bridesmaid.

Charlotte waved enthusiastically at the crowds as they approached the chapel, though negotiating the steps in the high winds proved tricky.

Charlotte struggled to keep balance, while pageboy Louis de Givenchy - son of family friends - took a tumble.

Some of the youngsters were seen giggling and joking before walking down the aisle, appearing to imitate the royal trumpeters.

However, George held his hand over his ear as the musicians heralded Eugenie's arrival.

Eugenie's sister, Princess Beatrice, was maid of honour. Mr Brooksbank chose his brother, Thomas, as best man.

Numerous celebrities braved the weather, including singer Robbie Williams and his fellow X Factor judge Ayda Field, whose daughter Theodora, six, was a bridesmaid.

Singer Ellie Goulding, comedians Stephen Fry and Jack Whitehall and supermodels Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell were in the congregation. Cara Delevingne grabbed the attention of social media commentators with a dashing top hat and tails combination.

Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli performed two pieces during the ceremony, which also featured members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Dean of Windsor David Conner officiated.

The couple travelled by carriage from St George's Chapel into Windsor, before heading for an afternoon reception hosted by the Queen in St George's Hall at the castle.

It was estimated about 3,000 people gathered to cheer Princess Eugenie and her new husband.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45827183
Lash

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 03:57 pm
I have ridiculously inexplicable ‘feelings’ about these girls and their mom. When Fergie arrived on the scene, goading Diana into doing things I wouldn’t do if I were repping for the crown, I liked her. But later, her attempts to cash in on her ‘in’ with the royal family really turned me against her in a big way.

Of course, then she’s ostracized—and dammit, I feel sorry for her. Confounding to have any feelings at all about people I don’t know...

So, now I look at the girls and their mom. Something about those wide smiles, big teefs, and garish eyes and fascinators make them seem out of place. Like the trailer contingent of the Windsors.

Like I said: Ridiculous.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 04:41 pm
@izzythepush,
I couldn't resist the hello mag coverage. I've been a fan of royal coverage since I was a little kid sitting on the library floor looking at tiny books with pictures of Charles and Ann as tinies.

https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/52.jpg

just one link

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/brides/02018101247761/princess-eugenie-meghan-markle-wedding-dress-comparison

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2018/10/12/000/631/449/body_5_3.jpg

ok 2
they're cute

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02018101247864/princess-eugenie-bridal-party-outfits-gift-bags

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2018/10/12/000/632/367/body_5_3.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Princess Eugenie has married her long-term partner Jack Brooksbank at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.

The ninth in line to the throne was watched by her grandmother, the Queen, and Prince Philip, along with other members of her family.

This made me a little sad. Isn't Philip her grandfather?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 02:49 am
@engineer,
Yes he is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 02:51 am
@Lash,
I don't think they look any more peculiar than the other royals. They're all a bit horsey.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 03:30 am
Quote:
A number of gift bags given to wedding guests of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank are being sold online.

Around a dozen bags are up for sale on the website eBay, with asking prices of up to £1,000.

The bags were given to the 1,200 members of the public chosen by ballot to follow proceedings from the grounds of Windsor Castle.

The bags contain items such as orders of service, fridge magnets, ponchos, shortbread and chocolate coins.

One online listing says it offers the "chance to buy your very own piece of British royal history".

Friday's wedding was also attended by 850 private guests, who were not given gift bags.

Among those 850 were celebrities such as model Cara Delevingne and singer Robbie Williams.

Gift bags were also given to the 2,640 members of the public invited into the grounds of Windsor Castle for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's wedding in May.

A number of those gift bags were also sold online, with many auctions fetching more than £1,000.

Guests invited into the grounds of Windsor Castle for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank's wedding received:

A burgundy tote bag bearing the date of the wedding
An order of service
A fridge magnet
A poncho
A tube of shortbread
A can of water
A chocolate coin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45846188
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 03:54 am
@izzythepush,
hope there wont be a"wedding swag" riot like occured at Tzar Nicholas's big barbecue. Hundreds of people were killed at that one and kinda messed up the weekend
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 03:59 am
@farmerman,
I doubt it. The wedding is over, everyone has gone home.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 04:39 am
@izzythepush,
oooh, I was out of touch unless we had wifi at the hotels.