The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:48 am
@Linkat,
Yeah, I thought they had already gotten married.
aidan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:56 am
It's supposed to rain here.
I'm going out to lunch with a friend in Bristol. He's Welsh, so I won't mention the royal wedding unless he does- I don't want to put him in a bad mood.

I'm sort of torn - I think she's pretty and I'd like to see her dress and flowers, but that's what I like about any wedding or bride.

Even if I were invited, I wouldn't go. At work they were saying that if you are a guest you have to arrive by 9:00 so everyone is seated and ready when she walks down the aisle at 11:00?!
Everyone in the room said - forget that - who'd sit for two hours waiting for a bride to walk down the aisle?

I was talking to two guys in the pub last night and asked them what they, as British people thought about this whole royal wedding thing and it was really funny. At the exact same time one said 'Absolute Rubbish' while the other answered 'I think it's wonderful.'

We all just laughed.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to the royal wedding disco at the village pub. That'll be fun.

Honestly - I don't have an opinion on it either way. It doesn't bother me, but it doesn't particularly interest me - except for the parties - those will be fun.
fresco

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:08 pm
One factor this time is the scepticism about the duration of British Royal marriages.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/article864780.ece/Brits-bet-royal-marriage-wont-last

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:18 pm
I'll tape it instead of getting up in the middle of the night. I think it's kind of fun...reminds me of how happy/nervous/anxious we were leading up to (and including) the big day. They look so happy. That makes me happy.

(I'm glad it's over there, though, and not here)
firefly

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:37 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Even if I were invited, I wouldn't go. At work they were saying that if you are a guest you have to arrive by 9:00 so everyone is seated and ready when she walks down the aisle at 11:00?!
Everyone in the room said - forget that - who'd sit for two hours waiting for a bride to walk down the aisle?

Oh, if I were invited, aidan, I'd definitely go. It is an historic occasion, and I think it would be fun to glimpse the other attendees and see it all first hand. But I hate to think about the lines in the ladies restroom during that two hour wait. Laughing
Quote:
One factor this time is the scepticism about the duration of British Royal marriages.

They do have an awful track record when it comes to marriage, don't they, fresco? But this couple have known each other for a long time (like 8 or 9 years), and they have been living together for some time, so hopefully, their relationship is solid and this union will last.

They certainly are a tall and attractive couple.

Some of the souvenirs are so tacky--everything from Pez dispensers, to tea bags, to condoms. But, I'm sure there are people scooping those things up as collectibles.
yup, condoms.
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2011/01/500x_0128-royal-condomsz1.jpg

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:38 pm
@aidan,
I've heard that you have to stop eating when the Queen puts her fork down.

Now that would piss me off. You go to this nice wedding with I am sure awesome food and because the high and mighty Queen is no longer hungry and puts her fork down, you can't finish eating.

Screw that - I'd keep eating.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:40 pm
@firefly,
OH, my.

Now what would you bring as a present for the couple?
0 Replies

James4683

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@firefly,
why should other people be more wealthy than us by siiting on their ass all day while we work we get less money then them and they cant wed to catholics it is all sick if you follow that shower your mental people!!!!! oh and we Irish want the north back that will be all!!!!
0 Replies

James4683

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:10 pm
@Irishk,
same
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 05:44 am
so now that there is a real king and queen in waiting, how long before the royal family plans a "paris tunnel trip" (wink wink) for chuck and camilla

i'm guessing within a year
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 05:58 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'll bet they've been fuckin' like minks for months now, maybe longer . . .
LionTamerX

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
chai2 wrote:

I'll bet they've been fuckin' like minks for months now, maybe longer . . .

I thought that the royal bride had to show proof of unsullied escutcheon before nuptials could take place. Well, in either case, there will be kinky, regal, rumpy-pumpy commencing forthwith.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:14 am
@LionTamerX,
They rode off in a Conestoga wagon convertible. What, did we send some lwft over piece of Civil War carriage to the royal garage?

I believe that That her Royal Swellness will have Charlie whacked by some button man then she will retire so Bill can take over.

You herad it here first, .
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:54 am
@farmerman,
nope they heard it here first
http://able2know.org/topic/171330-2#post-4590572
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:13 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
so now that there is a real king and queen in waiting, how long before the royal family plans a "paris tunnel trip" (wink wink) for chuck and camilla
No need, chuck was raised to be a good boy. Mom will tell him to give up the right to the crown and he will agree.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:19 am
@firefly,
"We're having a wedding, you're paying. You're not invited. Now run along and organise a street party in our honour. There's a good peasant." - Omar Abu Omar

"Arabs take to the streets to protest inherited power and privilege. Brits take to the streets to celebrate it." - Tony Karon
rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:10 am
I was annoyed this morning because every time I changed the channel to get away from this thing, there it was again. I finally had to turn off the TV. When I got in the car I had the same problem on the radio, so I turned it off as well. It was actually kind of nice to have a morning without any chatter from the media.
Irishk

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:33 am
@rosborne979,
You missed a beautiful rendition of My Country Tis of Thee by the congregation and choir. Smile
rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:37 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

You missed a beautiful rendition of My Country Tis of Thee by the congregation and choir. Smile

Darn. Now my whole day is ruined. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:46 am
Nice hats...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2011/04/29/r1__1304071165_7667.jpg