The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

chai2

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Prince Diana was as thick as mince. Her CSE grades were those kids on sink estates who don't even bother going to school, yet she went to an exclusive Swiss finishing school with class sizes of about 3 or 4.

The abject poverty comment was part of the youtube video. I thought the video was funny.

I have no opinion at all on the actually event.

My favorite part of the video was him saying gingers are the vampires of society and roam from shadow to shadow sucking human souls.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 10:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

but hell. They're free to do as they please.

Not really, they're both bound up in protocol.
firefly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Not really, they're both bound up in protocol.

But protocol does change with the times.

I remember when Princess Margaret--the Queen's sister--really couldn't marry the man she loved because he was divorced.

Now, 3 of the 4 children of the Queen have been divorced, including the future King, Prince Charles, and his current wife was also a divorcee.

These alleged "fairy tale" Royal weddings tend not to have happy endings.

At least Harry and Meghan aren't getting into an arranged marriage, and, since she is already the age Diana was at her death, she (hopefully) likely has a better understanding of the life she is getting into, and what she is giving up. And Harry is far enough down the line of succession to have some greater leeway in his choice and yet retain his popularity. So this wedding does seem like a truly happy event. They do seem like a very happy couple.
chai2

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 02:17 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I remember when Princess Margaret--the Queen's sister--really couldn't marry the man she loved because he was divorced.

Not to mention Edward who abducated because of Wallis Simpson.

I can't help think that behind closed doors more than one person in the royal family has said "**** this ****"
firefly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 02:38 pm
@chai2,
I think that is what Edward said by his abdication. I don't think he wanted to be King.

And, unfortunately for him, the woman he allegedly loved didn.t love him. I recently read Andrew Morton's book, "Wallis in Love" which made that abundantly clear.

Harry and. Meghan at least seem like a love match.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 08:40 pm
I fully realize I’m ridiculous in my dotage, but when I see these boys walking around together on the eve of Harry’s wedding, I feel too much like their removed mom, tearing up because they’re famous among the barns together alone.

I just see one of them steal a glance at the other when they’re being photographed, and I think I’m seeing them for their mom. They take care of each other, and I don’t care how much money they have; they’re two boys forever, to me, whose mom was wrenched from them, and who hold close to each other.

They are the ages of my children. Their mom was born the day after me; married the year after me.... Very oddly, she felt like a contemporary.

Silly. I love those boys.

Must be a name for that illness.

May they be happy.

roger

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 08:42 pm
@izzythepush,
If I had time set aside to watch the royal family, she would have my attention.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 08:44 pm
@izzythepush,
But, don’t you think Harry, marrying a biracial American divorcée with the gracious support of the Queen, is a dramatic advance for liberty in the royal family?
chai2

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 09:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I fully realize I’m ridiculous in my dotage, but when I see these boys walking around together on the eve of Harry’s wedding, I feel too much like their removed mom, tearing up because they’re famous among the barns together alone.

I just see one of them steal a glance at the other when they’re being photographed, and I think I’m seeing them for their mom. They take care of each other, and I don’t care how much money they have; they’re two boys forever, to me, whose mom was wrenched from them, and who hold close to each other.

They are the ages of my children. Their mom was born the day after me; married the year after me.... Very oddly, she felt like a contemporary.

Silly. I love those boys.

Must be a name for that illness.

May they be happy.

but.....but.....you don't know them. They don't know you. You will never know each other. They don't know you exist, and will never know of your existence. You don't know any more about them than some passerby on the street that you've never seen before, and will never see again. Actually, you know that passerby more, as you have actually been in each others physical presence.

Why would you care so much about 2 complete strangers engaging in some ceremony that doesn't effect you, or 99.9999999+% of the population in any way?

Just because there is some coincidental and not at all specific dot on the time space continuum that is randomly chosen by you to mean something?

This is really puzzling to me.

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 11:08 pm
@chai2,
I completely understand your opinion about this.

My opinion is unusual. I won’t even defend it.

I thought of them as orphaned contemporaries of my children. I was horrified for them , and oddly, felt protective of them my whole life—like I was caretaking them for their mum.

Can’t explain it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 01:20 am
@Lash,
Are things moving on, becoming more modern? Well yes, obviously, but that doesn't mean there's still not loads of procedural stuff they have to follow. There are certain avenues expected of junior Royals, and Harry has strode right down the centre of one with his very public association with the Invictus Games and disabled soldiers in general.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 01:23 am
@chai2,
Those who are into the Royals are really into them, it's like Beatlemania only more enduring. You only have to look at the bunch of weirdos lining the streets of Windsor at the moment.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 03:44 am
@chai2,
try not to overthink stuff. I love Dilophosaurii and theyre extinct.
Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 06:42 am
Seems to have gone off nicely.

Amal Clooney walked up like she thought *she* might be the princess. Heh.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 06:46 am
Picture perfect weather set the backdrop for a very, very, beautiful wedding.

Wishing the newlyweds a long and happy marriage.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 07:42 am
@firefly,
Today's FA Cup will be presented by Jackie Wilkins who is the widow of Ray who died at the beginning of April. Ray was one of the England squad who won the World Cup back in '66 and during his career played for both Manchester United and Chelsea, today's finalists. This is a change of form because the FA Cup is normally presented by the FA chairman Prince William.

That's right Prince William, who is neglecting his duties; people get married all the time, but the FA Cup is only once a year. Wills needs to get his bloody priorities sorted out, it's not like Windsor's not just down the road from Wembley. He could best man it, get a motorcade, watch the final, miss all the boring speeches then get back in time for the disco. Harry could probably do with a break as well.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Those who are into the Royals are really into them, it's like Beatlemania only more enduring. You only have to look at the bunch of weirdos lining the streets of Windsor at the moment.

Beatlemania was stupid too.

They're singers FFS.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:33 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Can’t explain it.

Really? You can't?

I can. Because it makes you feel good.

Regardless of even if it harms the intended beneficiary/victim.

No one, ever, does anything unless there is something in it for them.
chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

try not to overthink stuff. I love Dilophosaurii and theyre extinct.

Well, I love 'em too.
But I don't openly discuss it. Or pretend somehow I was/am involved in their existence or extinction.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:37 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Wishing the newlyweds a long and happy marriage.

See? You're not really wishing the newlyweds anything. They will never know about your "wishes"

You did this so others could read your thoughts.

Just like I'm getting something out of pointing out to some that it has nothing to do with the object of their words, but the fact it's about making yourself in your mind part of something you have nothing to do with.