News of the World shuts amid hacking scandal
Updated 1 hour 0 minutes ago
Britain's biggest-selling (tabloid) newspaper the News of the World is being shut down following a scandal over phone hacking, owner Rupert Murdoch's son James Murdoch said.
As allegations multiplied that its journalists hacked the voicemails of thousands of people, from child murder victims to the families of Britain's war dead, the tabloid had haemorrhaged advertising, alienated millions of readers, and posed a growing threat to Rupert Murdoch's hopes of buying broadcaster BSkyB. ........
The death blow for the tabloid came on Thursday, when veterans' charity the Royal British Legion and a flood of businesses joined a boycott of the newspaper. .......
Supermarket giant Sainsbury's, mobile phone operator O2, energy supplier Npower and high street stores Dixons, Boots and Specsavers became the latest companies to pull advertising from the paper.
They joined major brands such as Ford, Vauxhall and Mitsubishi, the Halifax bank and Virgin Holidays.
The British government also said it was urgently reviewing its own advertising contracts with the News of the World......
But this is a huge blow to Rupert Murdoch's reputation & ambitions.
Most reports I am seeing have closing down the paper being another Murdock masterstroke.
Damage Control: James Murdoch and the Family Business
Britain's phone-hacking scandal has already closed a 167-year-old paper, wounded the British prime minister, and may yet cause Rupert Murdoch to jettison a favored lieutenant. But could it split the Murdoch family?
Succession seemed settled after James was elevated to News Corp.'s deputy chief operating officer and the chairman of News International. But that was before the current scandal gained its full momentum, with the revelation that the company's reporters had hacked the voice mail of a teenage murder victim and committed other acts of journalistic mayhem. ..... Cont
Which reports have you read, hawkeye?
Move to block TV bid
July 4, 2011/the AGE
Blocked: the government recoiled from Rupert Murdoch's plans to set up a new Australian Network channel for China.
Rupert Murdoch at the launch of a Chinese TV station earlier this year. Photo: Reuters
THE Gillard government has made an extraordinary intervention in an official tender process to stop Rupert Murdoch's part-owned Sky News Australia winning a $223 million contract to broadcast Australia's overseas television service.
An aggressive bid to expand Australia's presence in China helped push Sky News over the line in a fierce contest with the ABC to win the rights to the station, known as Australia Network.
An independent panel of public servants set up to evaluate the competing tenders saw Sky's as the better bid, only for the government to baulk at the prospect of stripping the contract from the publicly funded ABC to hand it to a company part-owned by Mr Murdoch's News Ltd, Channel Seven and the Nine Network. Labor then made late changes to the tender rules, sidelining the role of the independent panel and throwing the legitimacy of the process into doubt.
Australia Network broadcasts news, drama and sport to 44 countries in Asia and the Pacific, as well as programs to teach English-language skills, targeting the emerging middle-class audience in the region.
At present the ABC holds the rights to broadcast the network, but the government put a new 10-year deal out to competitive tender in February with an outcome originally set for May 2.
It is understood Sky News proposed setting up a dedicated channel for China to run separately from the rest of the network as a way of expanding Australia's reach in the Asian powerhouse, where censorship limits foreign news broadcasts.
No licences to broadcast into China have been granted in recent years but the Foreign Affairs Department has said it is keen to gain access for Australia's public diplomacy channel.
The China proposal was only part of the reason Sky was favoured, with the full tender details still secret.
The winner of the contract remains in doubt after the government used the cover of recent upheaval in the Middle East and Africa to request more information from the ABC and Sky News. Canberra has also asked the bidders to explain their operations ''in light of the increasing influence of key emerging markets on the global economy'' - a phrase often used to describe China. ...<cont>
... the bath he took on MySpace was an embarisment and the hate that he generates is starting to effect his ability to do deals.
World exclusive: Hugh Grant turns the tables on the phone-hackers
The bugger, bugged.
Posted by New Statesman - 06 April 2011 22:11
Hugh Grant. Credit: Getty Images
In this week's New Statesman, the actor Hugh Grant secretly records the former News of the World journalist Paul McMullan discussing phone-hacking and David Cameron's relationship with the Murdochs and News International. ......
Phone hacking: full list of the victims identified so far
Who was targeted by the News of the World?