The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

firefly

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 05:54 am
The Royals do know how to throw a classy wedding.

I enjoyed the little snippets I got to see and I'll try to hunt down more.

Her tiara was gorgeous--nice to have a grandma who can loan you something like that. And her gown was quite flattering and regal. She looked very attractive and very much like a princess.

Her mom, Fergie, seems to lack a good sense of what is becoming on her--and today's outfit was no exception.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 06:04 am
@farmerman,
It wasn't as big as the last one. I was only vaguely aware of it until BBC news said it had happened, and because I'm such a lovely chap I posted it here for the benefit of American Royal watchers.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 08:17 am
Part of a much longer article.

Quote:
For her wedding, Princess Eugenie made a point of wearing a dress that showed off - rather than hid - a scar left over from a childhood operation.

Her declaration that "you can change the way beauty is" has proven an inspiration to many. Readers told us how they, too, are proud of their scars:

'My dress had a low back too'
Christine told us: "I'm really happy the word is getting out there and that there are people in those positions to be advocates for this."

Like the princess, she had major surgery on her back to treat scoliosis, a condition that causes the spine to bend to one side.

"Celebrities are showing off the fact that they're not bothered by their scoliosis, it helps those younger people who might be struggling with it," says Christine, who preferred not to give her surname.

The Queen's granddaughter, who had her surgery to treat a curvature of the spine at the age of 12, said she was wearing this particular dress as a way of "standing up for young people who also go through this."

Christine also showed off her scar at her recent wedding.

But she remembers how it felt as a teenager. Having been diagnosed with scoliosis at 14, she underwent surgery five times between the ages of 15 and 17.

"It was quite frightening as I didn't even know what it was, or anyone else who had the condition. I was going through puberty and a lot of changes.

"Your friends are going through expected milestones and you have to play catch up later. It felt like the end of the world... but it's worked out perfectly fine."

Christine missed Year 11 at school and had to retake some GCSEs in college. But she was grateful for the support of her friends.

"At one point I was wearing a full-body plaster cast, from my chin to my hip. School friends all came to sign it."

She still suffers back pain but says yoga and pilates help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45835377
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 09:43 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The Queen's granddaughter, who had her surgery to treat a curvature of the spine at the age of 12, said she was wearing this particular dress as a way of "standing up for young people who also go through this."

"At one point I was wearing a full-body plaster cast, from my chin to my hip. School friends all came to sign it."

my real life best friend, and occasional a2k poster had this surgery and cast about 45 years ago

a lot of people at school learned about it when our home ec teacher looked at a sweater she was knitting and said it would never fit her "just look at you" and poked her with a knitting needle - which clunked when it hit the cast. teacher was mortified and apologized but too late - the word was out.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
Your friend probably didn't have a royal security detail to deal with stuff like that.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 09:57 am
@izzythepush,
I recall it said that Al Capone used his scar as a physical statement as well
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
Funny that you say that. One of her grandmother's best friends from childhood was the Queen Mother - the summer after the surgery my friend and her Gran went to stay with the QM and then visited a bunch of literary sites. There was royal security for some of that.

You've brought back some great memories of her Gran - we're now chatting on FB about her. Thanks for that Smile

which leads to this memory of being in her top floor room watching old movies late at night

thank you for the memory
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 03:41 am
@ehBeth,
Glad to be of some use. Photos and rest of article at link.

Quote:
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank have released four official photographs from their wedding day.

The pictures, taken by photographer Alex Bramall, include a black and white image of the couple sharing a kiss during the carriage procession.

Another shot captures the ninth in line to the throne in a Zac Posen silk gown as she heads to the evening reception with her new husband.

The couple are said to be "delighted" to share the images.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-45852684
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 02:50 am
Not wedding news but this is as good a place as any.

Quote:
The Duchess of Sussex is pregnant and is due to give birth next spring, Kensington Palace has revealed.

The news has been announced as she and Prince Harry begin a tour of Australia.

Kensington Palace said the couple "appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public".

The baby will be seventh in line to the throne.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45861683
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 02:54 am
Yippee.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 06:53 am
Quote:
US and the British royals: A long-distance love affair

A special exhibition of British royal portraiture has come to Texas from London, just as a Netflix show documenting the life of Elizabeth II, The Crown, sweeps the Emmys. How has the US fascination with the royals endured?

A very long article at link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45801895
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 07:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote:
Princess Eugenie has married her long-term partner Jack Brooksbank at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.

The ninth in line to the throne was watched by her grandmother, the Queen, and Prince Philip, along with other members of her family.

This made me a little sad. Isn't Philip her grandfather?

Is this a stylistic thing with the press? Why wouldn't they say "watched by her grandparents, the Queen and Prince Philip, ..." Is Philip kind of persona non grata with the press?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 08:55 am
@engineer,
I don't know, but the Queen is head of state. Phillip is just the Royal consort, maybe that's why.

I must admit I hadn't spotted it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:55 am
I'll just keep posting these, as always more at link.

Quote:
Royal tour: First glimpse of Meghan's baby bump

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have begun their first overseas tour as news of Meghan's pregnancy made headlines across the globe.

The royal couple arrived in Sydney and were given the first of many gifts for their baby.

Australia's Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove and his wife Lynn presented them with a toy kangaroo, complete with joey, as well as a little pair of Ugg boots.

The baby is due in the spring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45871342
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:18 pm
Quote:
Pippa Middleton, the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge, has given birth to a boy.

The baby was born on Monday at 13:58 BST weighing 8lb 9oz, a spokeswoman for Pippa and her husband James Matthews said.

"Everyone is delighted and mother and baby are doing well," she added.

A Kensington Palace spokesman said Prince William and Kate Middleton were "thrilled" for the couple.

Pippa's last major public outing was at the wedding of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on Friday.

The arrival comes just a day after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle revealed they are expecting a baby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45875535
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:32 pm
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/10/17/17990298/meghan-markle-pregnancy-style-australia-karen-gee

Quote:
What royals like the Duchess of Sussex and Kate Middleton wear might seem inconsequential to people disinterested in the British monarchy, fashion, or both. But their attire has a significant economic impact. Middleton drives an estimated $1 billion to the British apparel industry annually, and Business Insider predicted that Markle will have a $677 million impact on the sector this year. The fact that Markle has ties beyond Great Britain uniquely positions her to be a fashion influencer as well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 01:13 am
More about Meghan and Harry's tour of Oz.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45898324
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 02:04 am
I had to re read this headline.

Quote:
Meghan shows off welly-wanging skills in New Zealand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46027266
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 01:47 am
Not about the Royal wedding but interesting, lots more at link.

Quote:
Queen Victoria's fourth daughter died owing 15 shillings to a London tobacconist, documents have revealed.

Princess Louise died in 1939, aged 91, with an unpaid cigarettes bill at R Lewis Limited, located near Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace.

The National Archives in Kew released details of Princess Louise's estate earlier this year.

Historians say it's "very unusual" for such personal documents to be released, as they are usually sealed.

The princess, a renowned artist, was the sixth child and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She was known for her unconventional lifestyle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46647820<br />
0 Replies

diyflowerarranging

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 02:13 am
Media Overkill
0 Replies