The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:03 am
@chai2,
I disagree.

Something doesn’t have to be received to be extended.

I meditate. No one hears it, but I get a real benefit for extending feelings and thoughts to different people in my life, to the greater collective spirit. A real energy was created and extended outward to people who will never know.

Firefly did extend a feeling. The recipients don’t have to know.

This type of exchange happens in different forms all the time. No acknowledgement is required.
Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:28 am
@chai2,
That’s such a sad viewpoint.
It’s also not true.
Do you never do anything for other people unless it benefits you?

Maybe you’re just having a bad day.
chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 11:20 am
@Lash,
If you do something for someone, if you look, it always benefits you.

It doesn't make you feel good to do something for others?
That's what it does for you.

You don't want to do something for others, but you do?
You get to be the person who does something for others, even if it puts you out.

You don't do something for someone?
You get something out of that too.

You live your life in self sacrifice to others, and say, either out loud or to yourself, they don't appeciate it.
You get to be the martyr.

You say "that's such a sad viewpoint"?
What does that do for you?
You get to tell me I'm a sad person who is having a bad day.

There's nothing wrong with the fact that we do nothing without getting something back, even if it's a negative.

Altruism does not exist. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It was a concept made up to disguise the fact we get something out of our every action.

Question.
Did you not/do you not feel good in some way describing yourself as a kind of surrogate mother to 2 boys, now men, that woke up one morning and found out they no longer had a living mother?

You felt good that you felt so bad for these boys that you could imagine comforting them, and made sure you found one or more connections to the situation, so you could believe you were somehow part of it all.

This, despite the fact that their family and others did everything possible to keep the boys from knowing what the world at large was twittering about it. (was twitter even around then?)

Multiple you by some really large number of people whose hearts were so broken, and saying things like you felt you were a surrogate mother/father/sister/brother/etc. How much satisfaction was gained by all of you by being so overflowing with compassion? How shocked, angry, enraged might these boys have been if they knew that random strangers were taking it upon themselves to claim a part of them as their own, stating in so many words that they could replace their mother, even in some way?
Thank heavens they were protected from knowing you and others were using them to publicly announce you were connected to them in any way. Even if the connection was simply feeling bad for them.

There's nothing wrong with saying you feel like a surrogate mother to these 2 strangers, because it made you feel good.

If you felt that way, but never said it, you get the feeling that you are keeping something in your heart.

What am I getting out of this post?
The satisfaction of saying that, indeed, you do know why you feel that way, but you think it would make you look bad if you admitted it.

That's fine too. If you need to tell others you just can't figure out why, and can't defend yourself, that's cool.

C'mon though...you know why.

Wow. At least we're not talking about some wedding anymore.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 11:23 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I disagree.

Something doesn’t have to be received to be extended.

I meditate. No one hears it, but I get a real benefit for extending feelings and thoughts to different people in my life, to the greater collective spirit. A real energy was created and extended outward to people who will never know.

Firefly did extend a feeling. The recipients don’t have to know.

This type of exchange happens in different forms all the time. No acknowledgement is required.

Exactly!!!
you get a real benefit from meditation.
firefly gets a benefit from expressing a feeling.

Expressing the recipients don't even have to know they are being talking about, thought about, considered is blatantly using them to further the person making good feelings about themselves.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 11:27 am
BTW, I haven't been doing any of the thumbs down.

What did I gain from that?

Letting others know I'm not a douchebag.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 11:46 am
@firefly,
Day before - Mass chemtrailing over 'Swansea' (S.Wales) - Day of 'clearest skies EVER!.
Rebooting the 'brand' for the latest, ignorant, genre?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:11 pm
If anyone's interested Chelsea beat United 1-0, not what I thought would happen.
Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:15 pm
@chai2,
We’ll just disagree.
You can wish someone happiness with no ulterior motive. You can do positive things for other people with no thought of a return.

I don’t want to get bogged down in negativity, so I’ll just agree to disagree.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:18 pm
Quote:
Prince Harry has been given the title of Duke of Sussex - a title last used 175 years ago - and his predecessor has a colourful past.

The first Duke of Sussex, Prince Augustus Frederick, son of King George III, had two marriages, one to a former mistress, and both were deemed illegal.

In both cases, the eccentric prince did not win the approval of his father.

A rift had also developed in the family because Prince Augustus had what were seen as progressive political views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44180674

Lots more at link.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
That's been the highlight of my day.
mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:35 pm
@izzythepush,
What's a 'chelsea', please?
chai2

@Lash,
You're not listening to what I'm saying, or you're making the choice to misinterpret it for reasons I can certainly guess at.

I'm not talking about ulterior movtives, or thought of a return. It is a natural thing to think and do things in a way that we gain something, whether it be good or bad, as a result of our thoughts or actions.

Also, the negativity is your perception.

You're taking it that I'm saying it's a bad/negative thing to gain something (whether it's a good or bad thing) as a result of anything a person says or does.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I asked the following question in a post above....
Question.
Did you not/do you not feel good in some way describing yourself as a kind of surrogate mother to 2 boys, now men, that woke up one morning and found out they no longer had a living mother?

Well, did you not feel some sort of return on your investment when imagining yourself as some sort of surrogate mother?

When you tell me you want to "just agree to disagree", aren't you gaining something from that?

If I persist in asking you to think a bit about your motives for your thoughts/actions, don't you then get the benefit of being able to show to yourself, or to others that "that chai just won't leave me alone, see everyone, how well and politely I can put up with her?" or if you choose not to respond, you can now believe you have such self control? Or if (unlikely) you get mad, you can now blow off steam or some other benefit. In the worst case, "see what a martyr I am?"

We do or think nothing, share or keep to ourselves, without getting back something in return.

You want to feel you could be a surrogate mother to 2 members of the royal family, and share that, even if they were to find out would tell you that is something they would never want.

In fact, you would never want them to know, as that would blow your idea of being the kind of person who would care for them.
If they ever did tell you they had no need or desire for you to even think about them, you could now garner pity at how you were rebuked.

That's why fantasies are usually so much better than acting them out. You get to control the benefit, even if what you desire is punishment or being misunderstood.

izzythepush

@lmur,
Really? As a Liverpool fan you favour Chelsea over United. I'm fairly ambivalent, especially as we were knocked out in the semis. I just thought United's form was more consistent.
firefly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:37 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
See? You're not really wishing the newlyweds anything. They will never know about your "wishes"

You did this so others could read your thoughts.

My wishes, a reflection of my feelings, are valid regardless of whether they are expressed or known to anyone.

In this instance I chose to express my hopes for this couple, just as I might express an opinion on any subject I might post on. I m wishing them a long and happy marriage--and it makes no difference whether or not they know that--it is simply my hope for them, and something that neither of their parents had.

I think that public figures become part of our shared cultural experience, and we can develop all sorts of feelings toward them. I think that was true with Princess Diana and it is also true with Prince Harry, a child we sadly watched somberly march behind her coffin after her tragically untimely death. In part these feelings arise because of our capacity for empathy, which can make us feel closer or connected to people who are not part of our everyday, or actual, lives. That's an enormous gift in terms of our social complexity--it makes us uniquely human..

Without this empathic capacity we would be very limited in terms of our social connectedness, and those who lack such inherent ability are generally seen as deviant, sociopathic, or mentally disturbed. I find it puzzling that you try to devalue these feelings--or attach them to selfish or self-serving motives--when, in fact, they promote greater human connectedness despite all types of diversity between us as individuals.

You're certainly entitled not to care about these particular people, or this wedding, but I'm sure you experience empathic responses to others in your cultural sphere--public figures, celebrities, even fictional characters-- who are not "actually part of" your life, yet who move you in all sorts of ways, and with whom you can feel a resonance of some sort.
lmur

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm a diehard ABU. In this part of the world, you don't find many supporters of other teams. Many of my social circle support United so, if nothing else, it gives me an opportunity to be a pain in their butt for the next week or so. Of course, if Liverpool lose next week I'll expect to get it back in spades.
chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:44 pm
@firefly,
I never said your feelings aren't valid firefly.

You do though gain from expressing your wishes, even though they will never know of them.

You now are officially someone who wishes them well.

Although why someone would want to wish another well without them knowing about it is beyond me.
Well, no, I take that back. Whether you really wish it or not, you've gotten to be someone who has said it.

Kind of like when someone says "I'm pray for you."

No way of knowing if they will or not. But, they're out there as someone who said they will.

What am I getting from this?

The emperors naked.

0 Replies

mark noble

@chai2,
Can't blame Lash for not listening to you - She's maturing - You.... nah.
izzythepush

@lmur,
I support anyone outside of the top (usual) five. I was well chuffed when Leicester won the premiership. I used to be quite friendly towards Liverpool until they took all our bloody players.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:51 pm
I love the dress for the evening reception.

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/livestory/w_600/fa58d8ad-933c-4357-83e9-8354d0b2cbad.jpg

And the car they drove to the reception isn't bad either.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdlHS4tXcAAQlkO.jpg

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex depart Windsor Castle for a reception hosted by The Prince of Wales at Frogmore House, in a silver blue Jaguar E-Type Concept Zero. This vehicle was originally manufactured in 1968, and has since been converted to electric power #RoyalWedding
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 01:11 pm
@mark noble,
Says Mr pooey pants.