The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 01:13 pm
@izzythepush,
CHELSEAAAAAAAAA!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 02:09 pm
@firefly,
That evening dress is a lot better than her wedding dress. It cost $300,000. and was so boring.

Lash

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 02:11 pm
@mark noble,
Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 02:48 pm
just watching bits of it now

appears to be a lovely wedding for a couple who seem to care deeply for each other

I'd definitely rather watch a wedding on the computer than spend the time and $ to go to one in real life

the gospel choir's take on Stand By Me is brilliant

cars/horses/men in uniform/beautiful music - I like it
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 03:08 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Can't blame Lash for not listening to you - She's maturing - You.... nah.

Well, if maturing means not being insightful as to why you do or don't do things, and being offended (or not) by being presented with reality, then I guess she is.

However, I'm quite sure she is listening to me. Not liking what I have to say, but she hears me.

In fact, anyone who is choosing to thumb me down is gaining the self satisfaction of "showing me".

Glad I can be of service in that regard. What I get out of it.

Every thumb down is an indication I've made someone think, and be uncomfortable with the fantasy that they are "doing something"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 03:50 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Is Charles Harry's Dad though Razz

in addition to Harry looking so much like Anne and her children ...

as I'm watching the service I'm thinking Harry's got that mpb that Phillip, Charles and William share. I was NOT expecting to see Harry's scalp shining through like that at the top/back. and why why why did he crop his beard so tight? boooooo
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 04:03 pm
not a great diversity in the audience, but wonderful diversity in the celebrants - the Coptic Archbishop was nice and brief Smile

the young cellist is marvellous
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:32 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That evening dress is a lot better than her wedding dress. It cost $300,000. and was so boring.

"Boring" can be worth $300k in these paparazzi infested times.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If anyone's interested Chelsea beat United 1-0, not what I thought would happen.

This week's cup featured the best in the country.

Next week's final features the best on the entire continent of Europe.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 03:49 am
@Kolyo,
we sheared all the sheep ysterday . It was a terrible drizzly cold day and we hadda keep the sheep in the big barn and then ran em over to a loafing shed when they ere shorn and hooves trimmed. Our shearers were Amish and I had help from the neighbor kids. Wed load about 6 ewes into a trailer and run em to the loafing area and let em off .We keptem in with water and hay and they seemed content (wxcept the lambs were going nuts trying to identify their mothers)

Somebody get married?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 06:15 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I completely understand your opinion about this.

My opinion is unusual. I won’t even defend it.

I thought of them as orphaned contemporaries of my children. I was horrified for them , and oddly, felt protective of them my whole life—like I was caretaking them for their mum.

Can’t explain it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 06:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I completely understand your opinion about this.

My opinion is unusual. I won’t even defend it.

I thought of them as orphaned contemporaries of my children. I was horrified for them , and oddly, felt protective of them my whole life—like I was caretaking them for their mum.

Can’t explain it.

Lash you are a mom and you feel an instinctive protective feeling towards those boys that probably resulted from seeing them looking so alone at their mom's passing. Those pictures of them so young and seeing their emotion and sadness .... you can easily see how a mom can feel so protective even without really knowing these boys.

Then upon seeing them in the media growing up without her ... how could one not feel towards them. You do not need to personally know someone without feeling towards them and your personal circumstances probably makes you feel...these could be my boys if something happened to me.

I can understand and I see nothing wrong with it. It just shows that you are a caring person that can empathic towards others. Some people just do not have the same capacity for empathy and some are just significantly more emphatic .

I remember once when I witnessed an accident while it happened and I saw the woman's face as her car got hit...I screamed out loud just like I saw her. Nothing touched my car and I was never in a position of being hit. I told my husband about it and how I screamed and what I felt. He could not understand how I would feel that way.

Just some people feel more towards others even complete strangers.

Just your make up.
chai2

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 09:42 am
@Linkat,
It has nothing to do with empathy, if what you are indicating is that I have less of it in a particular situation.

I have no idea why people are interpreting anything I had to say as a negative.

No. I’m lying. I do have an idea. Many people just can’t look at the fact that whether they are more or less empathetic than the next person, they cannot admit, even To themselves that a prime reason why we do anything is because we gain a benefit from it.

I’ve said multiple times there’s nothing wrong with any of this. However, the fact that you’ve now said the exact same words as me felt necessary, and good to you.

It’s interesting to me how for whatever reason, so many feel they must suppress admitting that, when it’s the most natural thing.

Even the alternate posts of talking about sports, or “ignoring” unpleasant to them comments, instead discussing the safe subjects of a dress or guests or whatever, is done because it’s of some benefit to the poster.

Linkat, you felt a positive effect from explaining how empathy works, and making reassuring sounds to another. That’s great. But don’t pretend it was all about the other, and you got nothing out of it.

People have every option to discuss whatever about this event. It’s because it makes them feel good.
Linkat

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 02:29 pm
@chai2,
I was not saying anything negative about having less empathy . Just that your make up is different in that way. There is nothing negative about it. Actually in many cases it is more positive. Often times being more empathic clods your judgement ...your feeling can take over being objective.

The whole world of humans do not react in such a way that they do what will bring them happiness or satisfaction . You are assuming we assuming are all wired that way. That they do what will benefit themselves. Why would some one jump in front of a moving car to save a complete stranger? How does that benefit one? You can claim that is the pride or happiness to save another person. But you are dead. There is no benefit. It seems more likely that one's instinct kicked in.

We can argue examples both way but you have it in your mind that is the way it is so no used arguing or providing examples.

You are built one way. You believe all people think and react for one purpose. I believe otherwise. My reaction to screaming while that woman was getting hit wasn't to provide any benefit to me...it was a simple reaction. I did not get any relief, self satisfaction or anything from screaming.
Linkat

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 02:53 pm
@Linkat,
And as far as Lash feeling more towards these boys...initially at least I would doubt feeling so sad from them gave her any benefit. It actually more likely did the opposite . ..making her feel sad and helpless she couldn't do anything to ease their pain. Now however it is likely see is getting some benefit ...feeling happy for Harry and the famiy.

And if you do doubt about thoak being more emphatic than others there are scientific studies that show different brain reactions due to this sensitivity. I guess previously when I couldn't understand my husband's what looked like to me lack if caring in various situations..I did a little research.

Yes there was a benefit to me understanding his reaction or lack of reaction...makes our marriage better to understand his build vs mine. And realizing he isn't a cold fish just not wired to react the same way I am.
chai2

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 04:09 pm
@Linkat,
I have to say linkat, I admire how you could take every single thing I have said, turn it completely around, and then indicate that is what I've been getting at.

I especially like how you repeat my own words, as if I never said them, and make it like they were yours. I also admire how you can, after reading me say "this has nothing to do with empathy" you can then hold forth at length about that very thing, discussing how people are hard wired differently.

It's really interesting to me how firmly one can clutch onto one's idea that they are somehow personally involved in something, when all it is really is a feel good thing because they like what is going on, or feel badly for another. The fear of appearing selfish by admitting certain thoughts just make them feel good, because if that were true, they must somehow be bad, is very strong.

Of course empathy is involved when feeling one would like to take care of someone.....that's part of the reward. It feels good to be empathetic.

And one more time.....there's nothing wrong with that.

Linkat

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 04:57 pm
@chai2,
Huh?? I didn't repeat any of your words at least intentially.

And I am completely confused on what you mean by my saying it has nothing to do with empathy...what has nothing to do with empathy? Seriously I do not know what you mean by this?

Some of what I said obviously meant and discussed empathy. Some did not.

The only thing I can gather of not having to do with empathy is that is not necessarily a positive or negative. Having empathy at certain times is a positive and at others not so much. And the side I was disagreeing is having emphany is not always a reward. What is rewarding about sharing grief with someone...feeling grief hurts.

But sorry to the original poster I am not going to high jack this any longer. All I wanted to let Lash know is that I do understand how she feels and it is not weird to feel towards people whether in grief or in celebration or to wish someone well you do not even know. It is just a certain type of caring that some people do not understand or appreciate .

This is also not a dig at others that think this whole royal wedding stuff is rubbish...to each their own. I was just more trying to point out not to make someone feel odd because they feel differently than you.
chai2

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 05:33 pm
@Linkat,
Then you might want to go back and read my posts, and yours.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 10:28 am
I love hats. But I really can't understand why a woman would choose to wear one of those saucer shaped jobs perched on one side of her head. They seem universally unflattering and, because they are somewhat unbalanced on the head, they can't be very comfortable.

At the Royal Wedding, these 2 stood out for me (although there were many others).

Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, had some sort of huge feathered nest tacked on the side of her head.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pqakIXKc106zxaZvk8XCj1tIjHgAu9EjQUe-FWrAFV7qNXOzGdnUqq5k6qdjcVdH_FIL7a_XB4SO1C5PcZrtlA=s750
Camilla's hat was also compared to a King Prawn platter.
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/106/590x/Camilla-parker-bowles-royal-wedding-hat-963476.jpg

And Amal Clooney was wearing a sort of pot cover that seemed to be at half mast.
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/amal-clooney-royal-wedding-1526723820.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

Meghan has definitely begun blending into the Royal family--look what she was wearing on the side of her head today.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/22/16/1527002514082_lc_galleryImage_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by.JPG

The fascinators are sort of cute, but these side perched saucer jobs just look ridiculous to me.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 10:37 am
@firefly,
awwww I love those big sideways hats. I wish I had a gift for putting those on properly. I tend to get it just exactly wrong and end up looking like a giant thumb tack.

___

Best story (IMNSHO) was about Guy - who was already a local celebrity

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33045760_10157486025594465_3074796937229107200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGpo5K2oAtfwCZZWO7l7HzJcVTHuhecV6iCrxk8V2n7z_KgwnUgr-3qcaBXLcgC7zCH9ZSK71tqseY_6L_nM9oNYDSZPxwgO1gcmDtP60JBzw&oh=3303255372006eb0386220991e4fb941&oe=5B8C5924

Quote:

-In 2015 a Beagle was found alone in the woods in Kentucky
-The Beagle was found by a good samaritan and brought to a shelter
-No one wanted to adopt the Beagle who unfortunately was at a kill shelter and put on the euthanasia list.
-Days before the Beagle was to be put down, a Beagle rescue group in Canada was contacted by the shelter and decided to take him in....to Canada.
-Groups of dog lovers took turns driving the Beagle in one hour shifts from Kentucky to Toronto.
-At a normal run of the mill adoption event a woman who was temporarily working in Toronto saw the Beagle and decided he was for her.
-The woman named the Beagle... Guy.
-That woman was an actress named Meghan Markle.
-Meghan Markle ended up marrying Prince Harry.
-On his owners wedding day, Guy the Beagle rode in a car to the wedding reception with the Queen of England.
-Guy, the stray beagle from Kentucky now lives at Kensington Palace.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32838616_2117798484896990_4844030314483286016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGV8qbUgo5j10hYeFj_uve-fc8BJjC0Isc-Bpdu2Zk94MpZqEBSzgFEXJVU1AY8waVQumhSuTV5kVdvhqg7sFketGsq_pSftSMd6ypMeeNbnw&oh=0b6059468edbf0b647836cc7d7cb6cd1&oe=5B8AFD43

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a20744463/queen-elizabeth-meghan-markles-dog-guy-ride-to-royal-wedding-windsor/
0 Replies