The Communist Origin of the Modern Conservative Movement VI

Zardoz

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 08:48 pm
@coldjoint,
I can appreciate that you and the rightwing press think you can make it up as you go along because people would rather believe lie than the truth but I gave you the actual figures reported from the health departments that show that what ever lie you got from Putin is just that. Despite what the facts show you cannot get past common sense, the disease does not fall from the heavens like rain, it spreads person to person. The more people you put together the more the disease spreads and you cannot get around that fact. That is why China is entering it second lock down now and remember China did much better than we did on the first round.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 09:05 pm
@Zardoz,
Quote:
China did much better than we did on the first round.

China infected the world. I see, the Chinese are Communists. So it doesn't count.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 02:34 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
China infected the world.

No. The coronavirus infected the world. China has only infected your brain.
Quote:
I see, the Chinese are Communists.

Only because it's a one-party state and that party labels itself "Communist". The country ceased even attempting something like "communism" in the '80s. It's simply another authoritarian state, only it contains 1.3 billion people. Because of its large population it was important to curb the spread of the disease and because of its top-down rule it was able to control the spread of the virus in the country pretty successfully. No, it wasn't able to control the spread of the disease in the USA — but that's Trump's job, not China's.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 08:46 am
@hightor,
You wanna talk about people red baiting? Then stopped offending Communist China if you can do that maybe you won't be so easily red baited and labeled a Communist, even though you are a Communist. And it's funny to see you try and claim that China is not a Communist country again, did they suddenly become democratic and their leaders are elected? It's more likely you want to see the spread of communism and therefore are spreading the myth that "no one has done it right".
hightor

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 11:46 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Then stopped offending Communist China if you can do that maybe you won't be so easily red baited and labeled a Communist...

Where did I offend China? I didn't even defend the country. I condemn them for the occupation and cultural destruction of Tibet, I support the independence of Taiwan, and I oppose "state capitalism" as it is practiced in China.
Quote:
...even though you are a Communist

Oh, really? I suppose this is another one of your charges for which you won't provide any evidence. Where have I claimed to be a communist? I think Marx was a brilliant economist but I'm not a Marxist either.
Quote:
And it's funny to see you try and claim that China is not a Communist country again, did they suddenly become democratic and their leaders are elected?

Baldimo, I didn't say China was a democracy. I see "China, China, China" has infected your brain as well as coldjoint's. "Communist" (small "c") is not a synonym for "authoritarian dictatorship". Workers don't own and control the means of production in China. Labor unions are forbidden. Welfare is funded by payroll deduction, it's not provided by a benevolent government. Their leaders are elected but since the country is a one-party state it's more of a pro forma arrangement. It just happens to be the case that some social problems are more easily dealt with when a dictator can virtually rule by decree. That's one of the reasons Trump admires rulers like Putin, Erdoğan, Orbán, and Duterte.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 01:11 pm
@hightor,
Posting from my cell phone, that should have said defending China. You are a defender of China.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 01:52 pm
@Baldimo,
Okay, how did I "defend China"?
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 09:10 pm
We now have 1,399,905 cases of coronavirus in America today, yesterday we had 1,381,150. The disease marches on aided by the stupid. We now have another 18,705 Americans came down with coronavirus today.

The Trump administration has now upped the death toll estimate to a 143,000 by August. Today the death toll stands at 83,019, yesterday the death toll was 80,562. That means another 2,457 Americans died today.

It is now clear that Republicans no longer believe in the law of the land they believe America should be ruled like Iraq by armed mobs. Trump has done everything in his power to encourage armed groups to take over the government. They come dressed in their Trump uniforms, Trump hats and sweat shirts, waving Trump flags. They should take an armored car and do like they did in Kent State, their actions will ultimately result in the death of others. They should treat them as if they had a gun to someone else’s head and pulling the trigger because in effect they do. When armed groups of Trump supporters are allowed to overrule our laws the end of America is in site.
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 09:16 pm
@coldjoint,
It is not China job to protect the world it is China's job to protect their population and they did a far better job by a factor of 30 than America did. China could not stop the number of infected Americans that Trump sent planes for and spread them all across America. The 1918 pandemic started in Kanas and killed 50 million and America didn't protect the world from it.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 09:36 pm
Quote:
The 1918 pandemic started in Kanas and killed 50 million and America didn't protect the world from it.

I see, that is why it was called the Spanish flu. That did not help your credibility one bit.
hightor

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 03:39 am
@coldjoint,
While it was common to name epidemics after the location where they first emerged, since SARS scientists have been using more descriptive names based on the particular virus itself. With a little research you could have learned the origin of the name "Spanish flu", even though it first emerged in Fort Riley, Kansas. In this case, as in many others, you lack credibility.

Quote:
In ancient times, before epidemiology science, people believed the stars and “heavenly bodies” flowed into us and dictated our lives and health—influenza means “to influence” in Italian, and the word stems from the Latin for “flow in.” Sickness, like other unexplainable events, was attributed to the influence of the stars—and they gave the name influenza to one of the most common ailments, according to Isaac Asimov’s Words of Science. But the name for the infamous 1918 outbreak, the Spanish flu, is actually a misnomer.

On May 22, 1918, Madrid’s ABC newspaper published news of the spread of a strange illness that had begun infecting the people of Spain. The virus was mild, but sudden. People collapsed in the street; a week later, even King Alfonso XIII grew sick.

One month later, the poet Wilfred Owen was stationed across the continent in Scarborough army camp. While he was huddled in a tent, waiting to see if he would be sent back to the front lines of World War I, Owen wrote his mother a letter. “‘STAND BACK FROM THE PAGE! and disinfect yourself,’” the letter begins. “Quite 1/3 of the Batt and about 30 officers are smitten with the Spanish Flu. The hospital overflowed on Friday, then the Gymnasium was filled, and now all the place seems carpeted with huddled blanketed forms…. The boys are dropping on parade like flies in number.”

It’s tough to exaggerate the devastation of the 1918 influenza pandemic. An estimated one-third of the world’s population became infected over its course; at least 50 million people died. In some cases, there was simply no time to build enough coffins to house the dead, so people were buried directly in the ground, a process one survivor referred to as “plantings.” In one Pennsylvania town, the death rate was was so high that a high school functioned as a funeral home—bodies would be displayed in a window so loved ones could attend the viewings from the safety of the sidewalk.

In a Times of London editorial that forecasted the impending end of the “mild” illness, the devastating outbreak was dubbed the “Spanish flu.” But that name was a misnomer that would endure for a century.

By the time the “Spanish flu” broke out in the spring of 1918, the United States, France, and Germany (among other countries) were embroiled in World War I. “WWI undoubtedly added to the horrors of Spanish flu,” Catharine Arnold, author of the book Pandemic 1918, wrote in an email to Science Friday. “Global mobilization of millions of troops meant that the flu spread swiftly, carried from the New World to the old on troopships, and fanning out from ports as far apart as India, Africa and Russia. The war turned the world into a giant petri dish in which the virus could spread AND evolve.”

One country that wasn’t involved in that worldwide exchange? Spain.

The American, French, and German press were most likely reluctant to let the cat out of the bag about the pandemic sweeping the country and causing their troops to drop like flies, according to an article from Clinical Infectious Diseases. In the United Kingdom, newspapers were forbidden from discussing the outbreak in detail under the Defence of the Realm Act of 1914. High-ranking British civil servant Sir Arthur Newsholme refused to take measures like instituting quarantine and shutting down public transport because he believed focusing on the war effort should claim top priority, says Arnold.

Spain remained neutral in the war, and, as a result, wasn’t subject to wartime precautions and censorship rules. The Spaniards had no reason to keep mum, and ABC, one of the national Spanish newspapers, was one of the first, if not the first, to report on the illness snaking through the country. The pandemic didn’t originate in Spain—in fact, it wasn’t nearly as bad there as it was for other countries. Even today, experts aren’t certain where the outbreak originated. Some say China, some say the American Midwest, and others suggest France. But one thing’s for certain—it wasn’t Spain.

“Nobody calls it the Spanish flu,” says Albert Bosch, president of the Spanish Society for Virology. “It just happened to be the place where it was reported, and that’s it.” Arnold says the Spaniards themselves had different names for the virus—sometimes “the French flu” for their historic rival, sometimes “Naples Soldier” after a popular musical—but it was the name in the Times that would stick.

source
coldjoint

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:57 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
In this case, as in many others, you lack credibility.

Just call me the NYT.
Zardoz

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 08:37 pm
Today we have 1,421,061 cases of coronavirus, yesterday we had 1,399,905 cases of coronavirus. By next week we will have a million and a half cases of coronavirus. We now have another 21,156 Americans who came down with coronavirus today.

The death toll now stands at 84,763, yesterday the death toll was 83,019. That means an additional 1,744 Americans died today of coronavirus.
I still remembered how horrified the country was after 9/11 but the coronavirus has already killed 28 times as many people as were killed on 9/11. Those that died on 9/11 died instantly but those dying of coronavirus die a horrify death alone that often drags out over 30 days.
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 08:43 pm
@coldjoint,
When you read the history of 1918 pandemic the out break in Spain was not nearly as bad and mortality rate was far less than other places. The source of the 1918 pandemic was traced and it did not come from Spain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 12:11 am
In fact, phylogenetic studies show that the 1918-19 influenza pandemic began in North America. Some people say Kansas, although I can't say for certain. There is, however, evidence of an outbreak in Kansas in January, 1918.
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:42 pm
It looks like we will make it to one million five hundred thousand cases this week. If people had just followed Trump’s advice and drank a cup bleach, we would have far more dead people. Today we have 1,448,245 cases of coronavirus, yesterday we had 1,421,061. That means an additional 27,184 American became infected today.

The death toll now stands 86,541 dead Americans, yesterday we had 84,763 dead Americans. That means another 1,778 Americans died today.

To show just how far one protestor can spread the coronavirus the local health department traced the outbreak at a local nursing home. One of the employees decided that he was not going to let coronavirus spoil his vacation. He got coronavirus in Florida and spread it. Thirty residents came down with it and 39 members of the staff came down with it. Seven people died needlessly.
Zardoz

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:45 pm
@coldjoint,
I have an extremely good reference book that details the 1918 pandemic from its very beginning.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 09:50 pm
@Zardoz,
How many elderly have also died because mayors and/or governors mandated and put infected people in retirement homes?

Stuck behind a NYT paywall, is an article reporting 1/3rd of all covid deaths were from people in retirement homes.

Also to let you know, the numbers are only those tested, antibody testing continues to show the virus is more wide spread then being reported, vast majority of people are asymptomatic. Mortality rate is still well below 1%, even the beloved Coumo said it was likely below half a percent. The curve is flattened hospital won't be overrun, we need to continue to open the country in phases.

Wash your hands, wear a mask, stay home if you are part of the endangered demographic, everything will be ok.
Zardoz

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 08:40 pm
The number of coronavirus cases is now going up 650% in some areas even in New York did not see that fast a spread. Today we have 1,472,743 cases of coronavirus in America, yesterday we had 1,448,245 cases of coronavirus. That means an additional 24,498 Americans came down with coronavirus today.

The death toll now stands at 88,199, yesterday it was 86,541. Another 1,658 Americans died today from coronavirus.

0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 09:03 pm
@Baldimo,
The nursing homes were these peoples homes where do you think people go to after they are discharged from the hospital? The coronavirus has run its course by the time they were discharged from hospital. If your child was discharged from the hospital after having been treated from coronavirus would you put him on the street? You go home after you are discharged from the hospital that is simply what happens. It is unlikely that a patient has any live virus if they survived. The nursing homes can't take the elderly money, homes, farms, and bank accounts and then throw them into the street because they got sick.

If you divide the number of deaths by the number of coronavirus cases you get 5.9% preliminary mortality rate which will get higher after many others die. In Palm Beach, Florida the mortality rate is closer to 10%.