The Communist Origin of the Modern Conservative Movement VI

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 09:47 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
There was some question at the time of how the video of the inside of the hotel room in Las Vegas was obtained but news outlets would be willing to pay major bucks and not all policemen are honest.

Neither are the civilian employees who work with them...

Quote:
The arms dealer was charged with manufacture and sale of armor piercing bullets because that ammunition is illegal I think this will make him an accessory to crime even though he was unaware what the bullets were going to be used for. There were also tracer bullets and none of the ammunition was used by the shooter. It is likely that he will make a deal and take a plea to a lesser charge.

They will likely charge him that way, so they have someone to charge, since the shooter killed himself. It doesn't look good for the agencies involved if they don't find someone involved, no matter how peripheral that person is.

Quote:
Many policemen have taken a stand against assault weapons and especially those who have been involved shooting where the criminals had assault weapons.

I also know many many cops, and they don't agree with you. A majority of them were in the military prior to being LEO and they still don't agree with you. When CO passed their new stupid gun laws a few years ago, 60 out of 63 Sheriff's in the state joined a lawsuit against the state to stop the new laws. Think about that, 60 our 63 were against the new proposed gun laws. A majority of LEO are freedom and liberty minded people who do not share your views.

Quote:
The subject of carrying a gun had come up and the Fire Marshalls did actually start carrying guns but I was against carrying a gun. I would often shut down a construction site with 50 angry men on the site. I couldn’t shoot all of them without an assault weapon. As cop, imagine yourself in a dark alley facing criminals with assault weapons.

I would be thankful if my dept was forward thinking enough to issue me my own rifle. Even the odd's.

Quote:
Evil is more of a biblical concept where the devil made you do it. We have to get away from that concept that absolves the criminal of responsibility somewhat.

Biblical or not, there is evil in this world, just as there is good in this world. Do I think the devil made anyone do anything? Nope, people made choices and didn't care about the actual consequences to others, yeah psychopath.

Quote:
Quote:
Some killer even climax while they are the act of killing and they take trophies from their victims so they can relive the kill. They are born to kill. A mass murder would continue to kill also but they don’t generally get away. Statues, high heels and hammers are the exception, guns are the rule.

You can't compare a serial killer to a mass shooter, they don't fit the same profiles, except for the fact they killed people. Their reasons and methods are dissimilar not to mention their mental states.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/health/mass-murderers-mental-illness.html
Quote:
“The majority of the killers were disgruntled workers or jilted lovers who were acting on a deep sense of injustice,” and not mentally ill, Dr. Stone said of his research.
In a 2016 analysis of 71 lone-actor terrorists and 115 mass killers, researchers convened by the Department of Justice found the rate of psychotic disorders to be about what Dr. Stone had discovered: roughly 20 percent.
The overall rate of any psychiatric history among mass killers — including such probable diagnoses as depression, learning disabilities or A.D.H.D. — was 48 percent.

Quote:
Without impulse control those under the age of 25 are far more likely to draw their weapon and shoot someone. They simply don’t think ahead to consequences.

With or without a gun, they are more likely to assault someone. Have you seen any of the "WorldStar" video's? It's mostly people early teens to mid 20's fighting and being little assholes, oh and it doesn't matter their color either, you can find these types of video's with those age groups of all colors, kids being assholes.

Quote:
The founding fathers after 25 were as good as they would ever be.

Meaning?

Quote:
The gun control regulations put in place in cities like New York and Chicago are undermined by the fact that guns can obtained out of their jurisdiction so we don’t they would work if they were in effect across the country.

You are proving that guns aren't the issue. Why don't the area's outside Chicago have the same problems Chicago does if they don't have the same gun laws? It shows it has nothing to do with the weapons and everything to do with the people who obtain the weapons. I'll say it again, if gun owners were as violent you anti-gun people think, the murder rate with guns would be much higher than 11,000-12,000 per year.

Quote:
The 1994 Assault weapon ban defined a high capacity magazine as any magazine that held more than 10 rounds.

You can't tell me what they based that calculation on, they just said so and you agreed with them?

Quote:
If someone broke in your house you should be able to take him down with ten rounds.

You know this from experience? Studies have shown this to be true or you are just stating your own uninformed opinion?

Quote:
Police officers only carried six round revolvers for years.

That was true 30 years ago, but not since then. Don't try and make things up, my dad was a cop, my father-in-law was a cop, I know what police have carried and neither one had carried a pistol since the mid-80's. Those that continued to carry pistols only did so because they didn't trust the reliability of semi-auto handguns, early versions had a bad habit of jamming due to bad ammo feeds and lots of old cops didn't trust them.

Quote:
All of law comes down to what would a reasonable man do. I think they looked at what they thought would be reasonable.

BS. They did no such thing, they picked a number they thought sounded good and made it a law.

Quote:
This did not apply to hand guns it is the assault weapons it applies to.

You would be wrong for current magazine restriction laws. They apply to all guns that have removable magazines, not just what you call assault rifles.

Quote:
More Monday morning quarterbacking it is easy to step forward after the fact. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Talk about Monday morning QB'ing. This entire section is nothing but guess work based on the cops not having done their jobs and picking this kid up for questioning. They failed but you and the other gun grabbers can't accept that. That liberal sheriff wants to take guns, so you forgive him for failing to do what he should have. I'm surprised he still has a job, I bet he won't have one by the end of the year.

Quote:
The NRA is simply a front for the gun manufacturers and it is such a nice racket that the cigarette manufacturers tried to copy it by setting up a smoker’s association to defend the cigarette manufacturers. The gun manufacturer own the NRA just like they own the politicians if you take their money they own you. The NSSF doesn’t get a fraction of the $100s of million that go to the NRA. How many politicians did the NSSF give $50 million to in the last election?

Do you actually have something to back up this smear piece? It seems you didn't even know about the NSSF until I mentioned them.
The NRA has never given anyone that much money, stop lying. When the records are looked at, and they are available, the most they have given to a single candidate was just $9,000.

Quote:
There is nothing more truthful. If I said I retired from the fire department it would be a lie.

I already explained what you tried to do, don't make excuses for lying by omission.

Quote:
I also enforced zoning laws and it is illegal to put bill board signs up on the side of residential buildings no matter what they advertise. Laws are made for reason signs are very tightly regulated by size and placement. Imagine a town with 400 sq ft signs on the side of every house.

Yes, imagine a town where people were free to do what they wished with their own property. I couldn't imagine helping to pay my mortgage with an extra pay check for doing nothing but letting someone paint an ad on the side of my house... sounds like Liberty to me.

Quote:
Sorry a dead person killed with a gun is a dead person killed with a gun no matter who shoots them.

Shot, stabbed or beat to death with an object, the person is still dead. Why is the gun a problem? It's the only time we blame an object for someone's death. You don't blame the car when someone is drunk driving.

Zardoz

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo

You do have a point the guy that processed the crime scene in town was at one time a civilian. We had a police sergeant here years ago that when he arrived at the scene of burglary he would steal anything the burglar didn’t. The honest policeman would try to beat him to the crime scene to keep him from stealing. One day the Sargent found a broken-down Volkswagen Beetle that belonged to a woman from a city a hundred miles away. The sergeant and another policeman decided they needed some parts and called the foreman at the garage who had a car hauler. The car was taken and striped but when the woman’s son came looking for the car and found out Policemen took the car the sh** hit the fan and the sergeant “retired” and the patrolman was later found handcuffed and dead on a local lover’s lane. Henry Lee Lucas later "confessed" to his murder but most believed that it was a suicide but the confession meant that his widow got a pension and the life insurance.
Policemen fear armor-piercing bullets because they make bullet proof vests useless. Criminals use them to kill policemen. If this guy has been selling armor-piercing bullets to the criminal element the police would like to see him “disappear.”
They don’t agree because they have not been in a shootout with criminals with assault weapons. Law enforcement officials were one of the key groups that pushed for the 1994 assault weapon ban. There were several attacks on law enforcement with assault weapons just prior to the passage of the 1994 assault weapon ban. One other notable person that supported the assault weapon ban, Ronald Reagan who a sent a letter to support the passage of the assault weapon ban that was signed by two other former presidents.
One of the fire marshals who just had to have a gun had decided he was going to shoot a woman’s dog one day. The problem was that the woman was a US Marshall and was also packing. He thought better of shooting her dog at the last minute he would have been dead before the dog. Most fireman said that he was the last person in the world that should have a gun.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
I don’t think there is evil in the world there are just psychopaths who lack empathy. By just saying it is evil it precludes a solution. Psychopaths make up only 4% of general population but 40% of the prison population. There are now innovative programs that are showing some success with psychopaths. Psychopaths can be identified early in life before they do significant damage if they are treated early in life we might make a difference in their life and those they would kill.
Mass murders and serial killers have the mot important thing in common they kill because they want to. Most murders in our society are done out of anger, jealously, rage, or for monetary gain but mass murders and serial killers kill for enjoyment. They alone stand out among murders. It is only the end result that matters. There are serial killers who have been known to kill more than one person at a time and more important both mass murders and serial killers are psychopaths. The article was interesting but did you read the last paragraph? It explained the cause of the steep rise in the number killed in mass murder since 1960s as the easily availability of assault weapons.

Being a psychopath is not listed as a mental illness and a normal person sense of empathy keeps them from murdering others for enjoyment but mass murderer or a serial killer don’t have to overcome that bar.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
No, I have not seen any of the WorldsStar videos but fights were common when I grew up but when the fight ended no one pulled a gun and shot the other one a fight was just a fight. The generation before nine was big on switch blade knives. I had a foreman when I first started that cut someone in a bar fight bad enough that his guts spilled out. The killings in town was so bad last year they had to bring in the National Guard. Now most bar fights end up with someone shot down. When I grew up I only knew of one bar fight that ended up in death and I don’t know whether it was the fist or he hit something on the way down. They guy that killed him lived around the corner.
No, I am saying gun control laws have to be national in scope. West Virginia sells all kinds of guns that go to New York. Gun laws have to be national to work. If you ban a gun in New York city they will simply buy it somewhere else.
____________________________________________________________________________________
The vast majority of gun owners will only kill themselves or their families those are not the problem. In my lifetime last year was the only time the national guard had to be called up to stop the murders.
In our town most policemen carried pistols up until 2000 but the town was usually broke and replacing all the guns would have been really expensive. I don’t know exact date but I can find out.
To start with the sheriff was not the one that went on the calls and he was not the one that made the judgement calls his deputies did. Do you think that they could keep Cruz in jail for life for making remarks? Sorry it would never happen and it will not happen to next mass murder either. Any excuse will do in a bind. No amount of could have, should have, would of ever changes reality.
Yes, I can back that up 100% I have posted the article before. I don’t do hyperlinks but the article is: “How the Gun Industry Funnels Tens of Millions of Dollars to the NRA” I had run across the NSSF in that article I believe. Have you ever heard one single politician say he was endorsed by the NSSF? There is a reason the campaign contribution comes from the NRA and the NRA money comes from the gun manufacturers. Trump got $50,000 from the NRA in the last election.
I had a solution for drunk drivers hook a shot gun to the breathalyzer and point it at the person being tested head if he blew over a .08 the gun would automatically fire one way or the other drunk driving would soon end. Once the subject blew over .08 make a loud noise and even though the shot gun was not loaded it would make a lasting impression. It is the mass murders that we are trying to stop and your own article places the blame on assault weapons. The longest journey starts with the first step.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:44 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
You do have a point the guy that processed the crime scene in town was at one time a civilian.

So why the bias in calling out a crooked cop? The one instance you knew of was done by a civilian not a cop.

Quote:
Policemen fear armor-piercing bullets because they make bullet proof vests useless. Criminals use them to kill policemen.

Depending on what someone is shot with and the type of body armor worn, rounds will penetrate armor. Most police body armor is rated to stop handgun rounds, most rifle ammo will go through it. If you will notice, LEO who do entry into homes wear a different type of vest with trauma plates, like those I wore in Afghanistan, standard LEO don't wear trauma plates.

Quote:
If this guy has been selling armor-piercing bullets to the criminal element the police would like to see him “disappear.”

I guess that is why I said we will have to wait for the trial.

Quote:
They don’t agree because they have not been in a shootout with criminals with assault weapons.

Well you haven't either, so you being able to speak for them isn't wise. I've known a lot of cops, and not a single one of them has ever voiced support for the assault weapons ban.

Quote:
Law enforcement officials were one of the key groups that pushed for the 1994 assault weapon ban.

It depends on who you support. I don't think there was overwhelming support for it by the police. The politicians always choose the most left leaning police support groups who agree with them and say the police agree. Do you think the FOP supported such a ban?

Quote:
There were several attacks on law enforcement with assault weapons just prior to the passage of the 1994 assault weapon ban.

You might be thinking of the North Hollywood Shootout. It actually happened after the passage of the 94 AWB. In fact it was that shootout that got the police depts to start asking for and started receiving the AR platform as standard issue.

Quote:
One other notable person that supported the assault weapon ban, Ronald Reagan who a sent a letter to support the passage of the assault weapon ban that was signed by two other former presidents.

It's funny how you leftists choose to support Reagan. When he is against the things you want, he suffered from Alzheimer's and shouldn't be listened to. When it's something you agree with though it's like your earlier comments didn't exist. I honestly think of Reagan wanted them banned, he would have done so when they heavily restricted full automatic guns.

Quote:
I don’t think there is evil in the world there are just psychopaths who lack empathy.

I don't think evil is some nebulous thing floating around in the ether that infects people. I just think there are evil people who are exactly as you describe them, I just choose to give them an obvious name, nothing metaphysical about it.

Quote:
Mass murders and serial killers have the mot important thing in common they kill because they want to.

True... although saying they kill because they want to is simplistic and wrong. Something unknown drives serial killers, mass shooters are acting out of some sense of being wronged, they are striking out at a specific target in their rage, the people they are shooting at.

Quote:
No, I am saying gun control laws have to be national in scope.

I'm saying that is BS. The Constitution grants the right of the people to be armed and that should really be the only involvement with "gun control". The states should have the right to change their laws as long as they don't violate the supreme law of the land. People forget the Constitution doesn't limit the power of the people, it was meant to limit the power of the federal govt.

Quote:
West Virginia sells all kinds of guns that go to New York. Gun laws have to be national to work. If you ban a gun in New York city they will simply buy it somewhere else.

So. West Virginia doesn't have the same types of problems that New York does. Why should the people of West Virginia have their rights limited because the people of New York can't control themselves? Same thing goes for Wisconsin and Indiana, they don't have the same types of problems Chicago does. Let's be honest, most of IL doesn't have the problems with crime and murder that Chicago does.

Quote:
The vast majority of gun owners will only kill themselves or their families those are not the problem.

More BS scare tactics and nothing you said here disproves what I said. If gun owners were a violent as you and your ilk think they are, there would be more than 11-12,000 people murdered per year. The stats are not in your favor.

Quote:
In my lifetime last year was the only time the national guard had to be called up to stop the murders.

Which **** hole do you live in that had to have the National Guard called in? The only place I can find any stories on is Chicago and it looks like they never did it.

Quote:
I guess they just decided that ten people should be the maximum number of people murdered with one magazine.
No, ten just sounded like a reasonable number.

So with no facts or logic behind their decision they just picked a number they liked? Sounds like a perfect way to craft legislation...

Quote:
In our town most policemen carried pistols up until 2000 but the town was usually broke and replacing all the guns would have been really expensive. I don’t know exact date but I can find out.

The only reason they would have been stuck with pistols is if the city had restrictions on using only what they supplied and issued. I'll bet if they allowed them to pick their own weapons, the semi-auto's would have been carried much sooner.

Quote:
To start with the sheriff was not the one that went on the calls and he was not the one that made the judgement calls his deputies did.

I wonder what the depts protocol was for such an event? From everything I have seen and read, the policy was to engage the shooter, not wait outside. It will be interesting to see what comes of violating policy and protocol.

Quote:
Do you think that they could keep Cruz in jail for life for making remarks?

It wouldn't have to be for life. The laws were in place but people dropped the ball. There have been kids picked up for less evidence of planning a shooting, and they were put in jail for a few years, they will never be able to buy a legal gun for the rest of their lives. The police didn't investigate and they had enough evidence to pick him up for questioning and search his residence. Instead they did nothing.

Quote:
Sorry it would never happen and it will not happen to next mass murder either. Any excuse will do in a bind. No amount of could have, should have, would of ever changes reality.

Do a basic google search for students arrested after making threats against the school, add a year to it and look at all the stories of those kids who were arrested for doing the same thing as Cruz but had less reports. I think you are being naive on purpose.

Quote:
Yes, I can back that up 100% I have posted the article before. I don’t do hyperlinks but the article is: “How the Gun Industry Funnels Tens of Millions of Dollars to the NRA” I had run across the NSSF in that article I believe. Have you ever heard one single politician say he was endorsed by the NSSF? There is a reason the campaign contribution comes from the NRA and the NRA money comes from the gun manufacturers. Trump got $50,000 from the NRA in the last election.

Yeah, I read that article and it's interesting choice of phrases. Funneling is the key phrase. I wonder if they think big pharma is funneling money into Planned Parenthood? It's the same type of association and shell game. Of course big pharma funnels money into PP, someone has to keep all those abortion and birth-control pills flowing, don't forget about the condom makers and all the other none drug options for birth-control...

Let me see if I can help you figure this out. The NRA is a 2nd Amendment rights group, the 2nd Amendment is about the right of the people to own guns. If the 2nd Amendment is abolished the gun makers are out of business, so of course they have an interest in keeping the guns legal. It's the reason, as the article pointed out that some companies pay for an NRA membership when you get a gun. It's seems to me that if someone wants to make your legal business illegal, you would support a group that supports the Constitutional Right to actually make your business legal and Constitutional. The problem is the NRA existed as a guns right group long before there was a NSSF, in fact the NRA was around for about 100 years before the NSSF. NRA founding: 1871 NSSF: 1961. After all, how can you have the right to own a gun if no one has the right to produce a gun?

Quote:
If you move outside the city limits you can paint sign all over your house but those who live in the city live there for a reason.

I don't think the ability to be "signage" free was one of the reasons people moved to the city. You sound like you would make a perfect president of an HOA.

Quote:
I had a solution for drunk drivers hook a shot gun to the breathalyzer and point it at the person being tested head if he blew over a .08 the gun would automatically fire one way or the other drunk driving would soon end. Once the subject blew over .08 make a loud noise and even though the shot gun was not loaded it would make a lasting impression.

Wow, I'm speechless. Do you believe in the death penalty?

Quote:
It is the mass murders that we are trying to stop and your own article places the blame on assault weapons. The longest journey starts with the first step.

It places the blame for mass shootings on the weapons or says they can be deadlier because of semi-auto rifles? I think having an unarmed populace leads to more deaths in a mass shooting. As I've pointed out in different threads here, the vast majority of mass shootings take place in "gun free zones", deranged people are bringing guns into places where people are restricted from having guns on their person and unloading. In these cases you could say they are deadly because there is no one else there to stop them. These cowards don't get into prolonged gun battles, in almost every case they run when confronted.

By our discussion, I'm going to guess that the long journey is the total repeal of the 2nd Amendment and the first step is banning semi-auto rifles.

Zardoz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:56 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo

The video was taken shortly after the shooting and at that time the crime scene would have been guarded by policemen not civilians for someone to shoot the video someone would have had to turn their head.
When I first started with the city I worked as a mechanic for the Police Department. The cars would often come in splattered with blood. They would arrest someone put them in the back seat with no seat belt on and slam the brakes on throwing them into shield. There were even rumors that they killed someone and put him in the river. They made him disappear. I could never confirm the rumor but I would not be surprised if it was true. Policemen are just people and there are good ones and bad ones.
I have watched a few race cars with their throttle stuck hit the wall wide open I never had to do that to know I would not want to that. One of the drivers actually broke the shoulder harnesses in two. I always kept double springs on the throttle. Like a struck throttle I don’t need to experience being in a shootout with hood with an assault weapon to know what it would be like. There is an article that details the position of several policemen on assault weapons. “What Law Enforcement Says About Assault weapons” to put it mildly “they don’t have a good word to say.”
If you were a policeman would you really want every criminal you faced to be armed with an assault weapon? Be truthful would you want to deal with that? Every criminal isn’t armed wit an assault weapon yet but with 8 million on the streets it is just a matter of time. I know there was considerable police support because they have the most to lose but I don’t know if the FOP officially supported it. There were 13 police organizations that supported an assault weapon ban in 2013 these were the urban area where assault weapon attacks on police were common. Rural Sheriffs that had never been attacked with assault weapons were against the ban.
There were several shootings with assault weapons prior to the passage of the 1994 assault weapon ban but one of the key shootings that led to the ban was a shooting in a San Francisco law firm. The shooter used three pistols with a trigger modification called HelsFire trigger system for his TEC 9 pistols. The shooter cleared three floors. Most legislators are lawyers and an attack on a law firm hits close to home. They are like me they don’t have to shot to know what it is like.
Reagan was senile when he wanted to be. When faced with his gun running to South America was responsible for flooding America with drugs, guns went down drugs came back Reagan pretended that he could not even remember any of his speeches.
I see that you agree with the article you posted. But the article is a long search for excuses that somebody somewhere must have wronged them. The psychologist that wrote the article can’t come to terms with the fact that everybody is not just like him there are real differences between people and some people are wired completely different than he is. Most people can’t not get beyond the “just world concept.” If the world is just if someone does something wrong somebody must have done something wrong to him. If we programed two robots one to kill and one not to kill we would not say that the robot that was programed to kill did anything wrong because it was programed to kill. We know psychopaths are wired differently because we can see it on an fMRI.
Like it or not America is not fifty different countries it is one country with local subdivisions. It is a ridiculous assumption that the second amendment is unlimited. A 1791 law can only grant you what definition of arms was in 1791. Who placed the limit on the right to free speech that you cannot yell fire in crowded theater? It would it be the government arresting that person.
You have to decide whether we live in fifty different countries or one country. That is like saying that murder is legal in WV so all you need to is bring your victim to WV and you could legally kill them.
You are right, there are far more than 11,000 to 12,000 killed each year it is more like 36,000. Your stats are made up out of whole NRA cloth.
I live in WV and the National Guard was called in to try and slow down the murder rate. You might have to access the local paper in the December 2017 issues. This week over 200 DEA, State Police, local police raided houses in town. I don’t live in town.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Somebody had to pick a number and I suspect it was one that was common before the age of assault weapons.
I don’t think you have any idea how many nuts are on the streets. Fifty percent of the calls come from about 5% of the people. If everybody that said they were going to kill people actually did the population of America would be a whole lot less. But would it have been nice if assault weapons were illegal and they could have taken Cruz's assault weapon.
All Cruz need do was go to a gun show and buy an AR-15. Even the red flag gun laws allow the subject to get his guns back after a year. Under the current law it is impossible to stop a determined mass murderer.
At one time it was bomb threats now it is shooting threats and most of those making threats don’t even own a gun. They just want a day out of school. Do you know what here say is? Just because he says something to someone that is not proof that he actually said it. While a lot people will say he said this or that when you ask them to come court they refuse. I would have to think about testifying against someone with an AR-15. If they don’t lock him up he might use them for target practice.
The gun manufacturers use the NRA to launder their money so the public won’t realize where it coming from. The NRA gets a percentage of some manufacturer sales. The NRA is a front. Planned parenthood has to buy supplies the NRA doesn’t. You seem to miss the point that gun manufacturers could make political contributions directly to politicians and cut out the middle man but they want to pretend that they don’t make political contributions.
People move to the city because they want rules to protect their property. I had friend who lived out in the country the property had been in his family for years. One day they built an asphalt plant next door to his house. It ruined his property in town zoning laws prohibit industrial business in residential areas.
I take it you drink. I am in favor of the death penalty for certain crimes. I might consider drunk driving as one of them. When you drink and drive you decide to take a chance with somebody else's life. Maybe their should be lottery for those convicted.
If I was digging a ditch and you wanted to stop me the easiest way would be to take my shovel. If I was headed into a school to murder school children taking my assault weapon would be the easiest way to stop me. Both are necessary tools to do the job. All of these gun free zones are going to be absolutely full of guns in two minutes. Do you think these school shooters don’t know that there will be guns all over the place in a few minutes? Did it stop even one them? There is no such thing as a gun free zone. If school shooters were afraid of being shot they would not do it. They fully intend to die.

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 08:04 am
@Zardoz,
Policemen fear armor-piercing bullets because they make bullet proof vests useless. Criminals use them to kill policemen. If this guy has been selling armor-piercing bullets to the criminal element the police would like to see him “disappear.”
This is not true. Police wear ballistic resistant vests, that will not stop any centerfire rifle bullet as they are pointed. Same way a ballistic vest will not stop a knife because it is pointed. They may or may not stop a pistol bullet, depending on the vest rating and the type of ammo used. Many myths here.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:40 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
The video was taken shortly after the shooting and at that time the crime scene would have been guarded by policemen not civilians for someone to shoot the video someone would have had to turn their head.

You might be right, but there are more than just police at the scene when things like this happen. CSI techs and Coroners are 2 groups that come to mind. If I remember correctly the body was already removed from the scene, so that would prove there was more than LEO and Detectives on the scene.
I'm not saying you are wrong, I just wouldn't jump to conclusions and assume it was the police.

Quote:
In your mind what would be the justification for needing armor-piercing ammunition on the streets?

You should really quote some of the text if you are going to ask me questions about my comments. Notice how I do so, makes it easier to follow these long ass posts.
What do you define as armor piercing? As I noted in my post, different types of armor are effect against different types of ammo. Most police body armor isn't rated to stop a rifle round. If we are going to ban guns based on what will go through LEO body armor, then just about every hunting rifle in the US has got to go.

Quote:
If you were a policeman would you really want every criminal you faced to be armed with an assault weapon? Be truthful would you want to deal with that? Every criminal isn’t armed wit an assault weapon yet but with 8 million on the streets it is just a matter of time.

Sorry, I'm not going to play your game of pretend to be a cop. I have a few cops in my family and I've talked to them. Guess what rifle they just about all personally own? If you guessed the AR-15, then you would be correct. In fact I bet if you took an actual poll of the LEO, you would find that a majority of them do indeed own one of their own. You can play guessing games based on your own personal fears, but I actually know LEO, so I can tell you exactly what their feelings are. The likely hood of them facing someone with an AR is small. You can look at the list of most common gun used in crime and murder, it isn't an AR.

Quote:
I see that you agree with the article you posted. But the article is a long search for excuses that somebody somewhere must have wronged them.

Of course, most the people who do these mass shootings are not right in the head and have "perceived" wrongs against them. No one said they were right, it's what they perceive.

Quote:
The psychologist that wrote the article can’t come to terms with the fact that everybody is not just like him there are real differences between people and some people are wired completely different than he is.

It sounds like you can't come to terms with reality and the fact that not everyone shares your point of view on what motivates mass shooters.

Quote:
Like it or not America is not fifty different countries it is one country with local subdivisions.

We are one country with a single Constitution, we are also 50 different States with their own Constitutions. The US Constitution lays out the responsibilities and restrictions of the Federal govt, not the individual. I'm sure you've heard of the 10th Amendment and what it says?

Quote:
It is a ridiculous assumption that the second amendment is unlimited.

This is where quoting me helps, I never said it was unlimited and I wouldn't argue as such, don't put words in my mouth to try and prove a point.

Quote:
A 1791 law can only grant you what definition of arms was in 1791.

Where does it say that in the 2nd Amendment or any place else in the Constitution? Based on that, your 1st Amendment right doesn't extend to modern technology either. The govt should be allowed to censor the internet.

Quote:
Who placed the limit on the right to free speech that you cannot yell fire in crowded theater? It would it be the government arresting that person.

The fact you are using that overturned court case as your justification for restricting the 2nd Amendment proves you don't understand the original case or what Liberty actually is. That case actually had nothing to do with fires or theaters.

Quote:
You have to decide whether we live in fifty different countries or one country.

You should read your Constitution again.

Quote:
That is like saying that murder is legal in WV so all you need to is bring your victim to WV and you could legally kill them.

You really don't understand how this nation works do you? You need to not only read the Constitution, you should also read the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers.

Quote:
You are right, there are far more than 11,000 to 12,000 killed each year it is more like 36,000. Your stats are made up out of whole NRA cloth.

Stop the lies, a majority of those gun deaths, 60%, were suicides and not murders. Murder by gun is exactly the numbers I gave, they come from the FBI crime stats and not the NRA.
Just like a typical leftist, you can't fight the facts so you try to smear who provides them.

Quote:
I live in WV and the National Guard was called in to try and slow down the murder rate. You might have to access the local paper in the December 2017 issues. This week over 200 DEA, State Police, local police raided houses in town. I don’t live in town.

It sounds like it is more concerned with the drug issue than the murder issue. These types of people they are going after don't sound like either the serial killer or mass shooter type you have shown such concern over. How many of those killings were done with an AR type gun? I'm willing to bet 1 or 2, the rest would have been done with hand guns.

Quote:
Somebody had to pick a number and I suspect it was one that was common before the age of assault weapons.

Yep, just picked out of thin air with no logic or facts to back their decision. Just a bunch of bureaucrats, passing laws to make themselves look like they are doing something.

Quote:
I don’t think you have any idea how many nuts are on the streets.

I do. There are a few nuts on the internet as well.

Quote:
If everybody that said they were going to kill people actually did the population of America would be a whole lot less.

What does that have to do with your perceived view of people with guns?

Quote:
But would it have been nice if assault weapons were illegal and they could have taken Cruz's assault weapon.

Yeah, because no one ever committed a mass shooting with a hand gun. The only way to prevent a mass shooting with an AR would be to take all the AR's in the US and get rid of them. Are you going to do it?

Quote:
All Cruz need do was go to a gun show and buy an AR-15.

I can tell you have never been to a gun show. To sell a gun at a gun show, you NEED an FFL, Federal Firearms License, and you HAVE to run people through a background check. That's the law.

Quote:
Under the current law it is impossible to stop a determined mass murderer.

Under any future laws it is impossible to stop such a person. Banning a rifle won't stop them and you know it.

Quote:
The gun manufacturers use the NRA to launder their money so the public won’t realize where it coming from. The NRA gets a percentage of some manufacturer sales. The NRA is a front. Planned parenthood has to buy supplies the NRA doesn’t. You seem to miss the point that gun manufacturers could make political contributions directly to politicians and cut out the middle man but they want to pretend that they don’t make political contributions.

I'm going to ignore this entire thing as garbage, your personal feelings about the NRA are known. Nothing the NRA or the NSSF have done are illegal, you don't like companies that support the 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
People move to the city because they want rules to protect their property.

Bullshit! People moved to the cities for jobs, it had nothing to do with protecting their property. You really need to stop making things up.

Quote:
I take it you drink.

I don't drink. I use beer to start my brats though...

Quote:
If I was digging a ditch and you wanted to stop me the easiest way would be to take my shovel.

That wouldn't stop you, you could use a stick. I'd have to cut off your hands to make sure you didn't use them either.

Quote:
If I was headed into a school to murder school children taking my assault weapon would be the easiest way to stop me. Both are necessary tools to do the job.

No it wouldn't, it would only stop you from using a semi-auto rifle. If you were determined you could use any number of different types of guns. You guys are hung up on the AR because it is scary looking. Look at all the fear based language you have used in this entire debate, very little facts but lots of scary language and images.

Quote:
All of these gun free zones are going to be absolutely full of guns in two minutes. Do you think these school shooters don’t know that there will be guns all over the place in a few minutes?

Really full of guns in 2 minutes? Tell that to the kids at Parkland who were shot at for 10 minutes and the shooter still got away.

Quote:
Did it stop even one them?

It didn't stop them because there was no guns onsite when the shooting started, that's the problem.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a gun free zone. If school shooters were afraid of being shot they would not do it. They fully intend to die.

Now you have told the big lie. If the public is prohibited from carrying a gun in a public place, that is a gun free zone. You are getting desperate now.

Quote:
There is no chance the second amendment will ever be repealed the goal is that reasonable limits be put in place that it is no longer unlimited.

You are right, as long as the NRA is around, they will prevent your ilk from disarming the general public. The problem is the "reasonable limits" are not based on reason. You proved it yourself, 10 round magazines were selected because it was number they liked, no reason or logic applied.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 01:33 pm
This guy is projecting his communist beliefs on others. I think you could be wasting your time.
Zardoz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 07:33 pm
@salbt,
Salbt

You are probably right for some large police departments with unlimited budgets but after Reagan bankrupted smaller cities across America by eliminating Federal Revenue Sharing money they are lucky to have any vests let alone the latest technology. Do you have enough faith to ware one of the new vests and let someone fire armor piercing bullets at you?
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 09:28 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo

Detectives would come an go and the corner would be allowed in but generally patrolmen would be used to guard the crime scene. By now no doubt someone has been disciplined and you are right it could have been anybody because there would be a lot of confusion but I think that there is a high probability that it was a policeman.
At one time I use to post the comment that I was replying to but once they changed to a different version of Windows I could no longer copy and paste on anything but word. Someone tried to explain that it could be done with keys on key board but I never master it. For years I posted with few if any replies. As you get older you don’t learn new things as quickly. The Police Department issued me a state of the art smart phone but I preferred to use my old flip phone. If you will post how to copy and paste from Able2Know I will try.

“The listed definition is of armor-piercing projectile: A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely ( excluding the presence of other traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium or (II) full jacketed projectiles larger than 22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25% of the total weight of the projectile.”
Empathy is what makes us human beings able to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes. This is the foundation that civilization is built on. Policemen don’t always have the best judgement. I have been to FOP meetings where some of the policemen were so drunk they had trouble standing. The meeting was held far out in the country on a long and winding 2 lane road. Foresight is often difficult but hindsight is 20-20 and I suspect that as more and more assault weapons kill more and more policemen many of your friends will tell people they were always against assault weapons. This situation doesn’t get any better it only gets far worse.

Most people believe in the just world hypothesis. Two groups of college students shown the pictures of the same people but one group was told a number of positive things about the people in the pictures, like they were rich. The second group were told negative things like they had cancer. When the college students rated the same people the people who they had been told had cancer or negative troubles were rated far worse than the same picture that had been given positive qualities. In other words if you had cancer it was because you were a bad person. If we live in a just world and someone kills other people it must be because something bad happened to them and the mass murder is pay back.

Humans long for a just world and our first attempt to impose a just world was the imposition of law. We call it justice. When we realized that the world was still not just so we invented God the avenger who would avenge all wrongs in the afterlife. What we need to realize is we are trying to impose a just world on a world full of random events. The world will never be just but when we look through the just world lens at mass murders it obscures the truth. We should not worry about looking for a motive and what is wrong with the world but try to understand what is wrong with the shooters.

I have never been a herd animal and I am proud of it. I always had the ability to think outside the box even before it was cool. I could argue with the whole class about the existence of god in high school. I never let other people’s opinions rule me. Other people’s opinions are often self-serving. I have always been an army of one and it never bothered me. The solutions to problems almost always come from thinking out of the box.

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo

I never think of myself as a citizen of WV I am a citizen of America. Laws across America are for the most part standardized. Murder is illegal in all 50 states. We cross state line without even thinking about it. If you chose to think that the constitution limits the federal government instead of granting rights to individuals how can the government police those rights. In other words, how can the government arrest the guy yelling fire! In a crowded theater? The government places limits on rights. You’re saying that the 10th amendment gave Mississippi the right to kill the civil rights worker. How did that work out the Federal Government simply made a law that they could prosecute the Mississippi sheriff for violation of civil rights.
Placing limits on the second amendment lies at the heart of the assault weapon ban. Those that argue assault weapons cannot be banned cite the second amendment.
There are both bad and good court decisions just because it is a court decision means that it can be overturned. The government decides what limits will be placed on rights. I have read thousands of court decisions and been involved in hundreds. That decision does not pass the common-sense test it will be over turned sooner or later. Yelling fire in a theater shows that limits can be placed on any right.
If you drive in America you know that there is a posted speed limit and a enforced speed limit. The separates states are like that we know they are supposed to be separate but we treat them like one country. I can be in three different states in 20 minutes and laws are basically the same. I have read the Federalist papers and they are way overrated.

It does not matter how many are suicides we are talking about it is how many people actually die by gun. Many suicides turn out to be murders when investigated. Many automobile accidents are suicides also but when they count the number of people killed in car accidents they don’t subtract the 20,000 people that committed suicide by car. Those are the facts when they list the number of people killed by gun fire nothing will change that.
The drugs have been here for years but record murder rate was the problem and the stated reason for calling in the National Guard. All murders were done with guns except one woman who was beat to death. Drugs go along without much of a problem until one gang tries to move on another gang’s territory than you have a problem. As far as I know there were no AR-15 involved these were not mass murders. They were not personal just business. AR-15s make way too much noise and would attract police attention. These are professionals who want to get away with murder.
___________________________________________________________________________________
How do you think that they should pick the maximum number of rounds in a magazine? Let somebody shoot at a target and if they missed the bull’s eye 29 times they make it 30. I think the Barney Fife rule should apply one bullet in your pocket.
There are a lot more nuts than you can imagine that Police deal with every day. We had one woman that owned a trailer park. When you would go to her residence she would claim that someone was coming into trailer and tying her up and pulling her teeth. It sounded like such a ridiculous tale. She died shortly after that. When she was found she had been tied to kitchen chair and died that way. I suspect you will find some aspiring mass murderers on the Internet.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Every time gun control comes up the first thing mention is the gun show loophole that gun manufacturers have tried to stop from being closed. If there is no loophole why are the gun manufacturers fighting closing it. I was recently in a pawn shop where a woman was trying to purchase some guns she was told it would be a week before her background check could be completed a gun show only lasts a couple of days. The loophole is that a private seller can sell to an individual without a background check. So if you were at a gun show selling your AR-15 Cruz or an other mass murder could buy it without a background check. That was not the law.
You never stop anything but you can significantly cut down on the number of children murdered. According to article you posted the mass murders are in fact a product of assault weapons. You can go back to 1960 and there were few mass murders and few assault weapons as the assault weapons increased so did the number of mass murders. That is called cause and effect.
You know next to nothing about city government. Have you heard the statement a government of the people, by the people and for the people? Citizens make the laws they live under when a law is considered the citizens are notified and two public meetings are held. The public can speak and laws that are opposed by the public are rejected. The public can petition to repeal any law they don’t like.
I don’t have a problem with people drinking as long as they don’t drive. I have followed people so drunk they can’t stay in road. They will go off the right side until they see headlights and then they drive toward the headlights. We had a supervisor that was drunk and on the radio the cops were all over town trying to find him I don’t how many cars he hit before they found him.
Parkland was not a gun free zone they had an armed sheriff’s deputy on site. We all know how that worked out don’t we.

All it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Really? There was a good guy with a gun at Parkland and it made no difference.
If it is a gun free zone there are no guns at all. It can’t be free of guns if there are guns there.

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:23 pm
@coldjoint,
Coldjoint

I don't think you have a clue to what a communist is. You should study some of the actual card carrying communist who founded the Modern Conservative Movement like Whitaker Chambers, James Burnham, and Frank S Meyer.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:48 pm
@Zardoz,

Quote:
I don't think you have a clue to what a communist is.

That makes us even, since you don't know you sound just like one. Cool
Baldimo

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 09:15 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
“The listed definition is of armor-piercing projectile: A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely ( excluding the presence of other traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium or (II) full jacketed projectiles larger than 22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25% of the total weight of the projectile.”

I don't have a problem with certain types of bullets being restricted due to specific characteristics like thin cores of hardened dense metal, those are designed to piece armor. The last part of the definition is the part I struggle with.

Quote:
Empathy is what makes us human beings able to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes.

A certain amount of empathy is a good thing. The problem comes from certain elements in our society use it as a weapon. It's used to guilt people into doing things that are against their best interests, take the tax code and govt spending as a perfect example.

The rest of that section was pointless. You first talked about drunk cops and then went onto how none of them would ever admit to supporting civilians owning types of guns when "more cops start dying".

Quote:
Most people believe in the just world hypothesis. Two groups of college students shown the pictures of the same people but one group was told a number of positive things about the people in the pictures, like they were rich. The second group were told negative things like they had cancer. When the college students rated the same people the people who they had been told had cancer or negative troubles were rated far worse than the same picture that had been given positive qualities. In other words if you had cancer it was because you were a bad person. If we live in a just world and someone kills other people it must be because something bad happened to them and the mass murder is pay back.

More incoherent thought masked as wisdom to restrict a Constitutional Right.

Quote:
Humans long for a just world and our first attempt to impose a just world was the imposition of law. We call it justice. When we realized that the world was still not just so we invented God the avenger who would avenge all wrongs in the afterlife. What we need to realize is we are trying to impose a just world on a world full of random events. The world will never be just but when we look through the just world lens at mass murders it obscures the truth. We should not worry about looking for a motive and what is wrong with the world but try to understand what is wrong with the shooters.

You think people created laws first and then religion? Looking at anything through a "just world lens" will cloud your perception and leads to people thinking we can just stop these people if we ban their tools. You won't stop them, as has been proven by enough mass shootings used with hang guns. It isn't the tool, it's the person.

Baldimo

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 11:29 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
I never think of myself as a citizen of WV I am a citizen of America. Laws across America are for the most part standardized. Murder is illegal in all 50 states. We cross state line without even thinking about it.

You are a citizen of the US, you are a resident of WV. If you commit a crime in your state, it will be the state and not the Federal govt who charges you for most things. We have a US Constitution and State Constitutions, do you propose we throw away the State Constitutions and submit only to the US Constitution?

Quote:
If you chose to think that the constitution limits the federal government instead of granting rights to individuals how can the government police those rights.

I don't choose to think that way, that is the way our Constitution was written, that was the whole purpose of it. The Constitution was written to restrict the govt and grant maximum individual liberty, they were rebelling against a King, why would they write a Constitution that grants maximum power to the govt, when that was the very thing they were fighting.

Quote:
In other words, how can the government arrest the guy yelling fire! In a crowded theater? The government places limits on rights.

They can't, you didn't pay attention to my post where I mentioned that SCOTUS ruling was overturned by a later SCOTUS decision.

Quote:
You’re saying that the 10th amendment gave Mississippi the right to kill the civil rights worker. How did that work out the Federal Government simply made a law that they could prosecute the Mississippi sheriff for violation of civil rights.

Is this the best you can do? Isn't there laws against murder?

Quote:
Placing limits on the second amendment lies at the heart of the assault weapon ban. Those that argue assault weapons cannot be banned cite the second amendment.

It's funny how hard you leftists try to restrict the one and only Amendment that says "shall not be infringed". Do you think that was by accident or on purpose. I mean they had just finished fighting against a more powerful and better supplied military...
I think we should be allowed to be armed as well as the standard ground soldier, and having been one, I have a good understanding what what a regular soldier carries.

Quote:
The first amendment does not control modern technology subsequent laws were adopted to cover advancements in technology and that is the way it should be.

Only idiots think we need to make excuses to hold on to our Constitutional Rights in modern times. The whole point of the Constitution is to grant individual liberty and freedom and the only way to do that is with a limited govt, by of and for the people.
Tell me, where in the PreAmble does it talk about this powerful govt and limited individuals?
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[note 1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Quote:
The government decides what limits will be placed on rights. I have read thousands of court decisions and been involved in hundreds. That decision does not pass the common-sense test it will be over turned sooner or later. Yelling fire in a theater shows that limits can be placed on any right.

It was overturned! Until it is overturned again, your "shouting fire" nonsense is just that, nonsense, not law or precedent. Stop using it to try and restrict the 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
I have read the Federalist papers and they are way overrated.

Ha ha ha. Seeing as how you are in favor of a strong federal govt and a weak US populace, I'm not surprised you think this. You want to talk about the GOP and their communist crap, it seems you are the Communist and don't like individual liberty.

Quote:
It does not matter how many are suicides we are talking about it is how many people actually die by gun.

When you use mass shootings as your reasons, it makes all the difference.

Quote:
Many suicides turn out to be murders when investigated. Many automobile accidents are suicides also but when they count the number of people killed in car accidents they don’t subtract the 20,000 people that committed suicide by car.

How much BS can you peddle in one post. You have ZERO facts to back up that statement.

The rest of that section is also pointless with no real logic. Who commits the majority of the gun murders in this country? It's not your average gun owner unless you think the average gun owner is a psychopath, which I think you do.

Quote:
How do you think that they should pick the maximum number of rounds in a magazine?

I think you should look at what the average magazine count is per type of gun. The standard for the AR platform is 30, and has been this way since it was first created and sold to the public. The standard for handguns is based on the size of the gun, meaning a compact handgun will hold less that a full size handgun. That is logic and not arbitrary.

Quote:
Let somebody shoot at a target and if they missed the bull’s eye 29 times they make it 30. I think the Barney Fife rule should apply one bullet in your pocket.

You know nothing about guns, so your opinion on what I should be allowed to own should be zero.

Quote:
There are a lot more nuts than you can imagine that Police deal with every day.

I'm dealing with one right now.

Quote:
Why do you think people want guns in the first place?

People own guns for many different reasons, using your own bias idea's on why is the problem with your thinking.

Quote:
Do you not think that owning a gun tells you something about a person’s character?

It tells me they are a gun owner. I wouldn't know anything else about them until I actually talked to them.

Quote:
I think that is reason for the assault weapon ban is to take every assault style weapon in America.

I figured, at least you are honest. I wonder how that is going to go, would it be a Federal action or the States?

Quote:
While a few mass murders are done with pistol the major mass murders are done with assault weapons.

The stats don't back your claim. The most publicized mass shootings have been done with those guns, they fit the MSM's anti-gun narrative. I think if you look at the numbers, your "theories" don't match the facts.

Quote:
Every time gun control comes up the first thing mention is the gun show loophole that gun manufacturers have tried to stop from being closed.

You mean the "gun show loophole" myth. There is no such thing as a gun show loop hole. I already explained that someone has to have an FFL to sell a gun at a gun show, and that includes doing a background check.

Quote:
The loophole is that a private seller can sell to an individual without a background check. So if you were at a gun show selling your AR-15 Cruz or an other mass murder could buy it without a background check. That was not the law.

This is the problem with you guys. You are mixing up the difference between a private sale and a gun show sale. You can't sell a gun at a gun show without an FFL, that is the law. I can tell you have never been to a gun show.

Quote:
I was recently in a pawn shop where a woman was trying to purchase some guns she was told it would be a week before her background check could be completed

They must not have wanted to sell her a gun, because background checks don't take a week unless your state has a waiting period. Background checks take less than an hour.

Quote:
You never stop anything but you can significantly cut down on the number of children murdered.

Is there no cause you guys won't push in the name of children?

Quote:
According to article you posted the mass murders are in fact a product of assault weapons.

You are now making things up, it never said any such thing. It did say that the deadliness of such events were greater due to the AR but it did not gun for the reason of the events. Inanimate objects don't make people do things, that's crazy people talk.

Quote:
That is called cause and effect.

No, it's called causation vs correlation.

Quote:
I don’t like the merchants of death buying our political system.

Your bias is clear. PP is ok, NRA is bad.

Quote:
Have you heard the statement a government of the people, by the people and for the people?

Yeah I have, the problem is you think the govt should be telling the people what to do, not the other way around.

Quote:
Citizens make the laws they live under when a law is considered the citizens are notified and two public meetings are held. The public can speak and laws that are opposed by the public are rejected. The public can petition to repeal any law they don’t like.

Citizens do not make the laws, our elected officials pass laws they think we want. Govt officials will do what they want, they don't care about what the people want. Those "hearings" are usually just for public show, those elected people already have their minds made up. We don't know any better, so they have to protect us from our own ignorance.

Quote:
Assault weapons were designed to kill large numbers of people.

Every time you say this, you prove you know nothing about these guns or their history.

Quote:
Parkland was not a gun free zone they had an armed sheriff’s deputy on site. We all know how that worked out don’t we.

Yes it was. If the general public is restricted from open carry or conceal carry by law, it is a "gun free zone". Don't talk to me about the meaning, I'm using the left's own language against them. You can't change it when it doesn't meet your own personal definition.

Quote:
All it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Really? There was a good guy with a gun at Parkland and it made no difference.

It made no difference because that cop failed to do his job. One month later there was a school shooting that was stopped by a cop who actually did his job.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/great-mills-high-school-shooting/index.html
Don't cherry pick.

Quote:
If it is a gun free zone there are no guns at all. It can’t be free of guns if there are guns there.

Wrong, "gun free zones" are places the general public are prevented from legally carrying guns.
Quote:
The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Quote:
The NRA is just 5 million people out of 330 million and they are losing ground every day. It is not reasonable to have weapons of war on the streets of America.

Since the Parkland shooting and the push by anti-gun radicals to restrict the 2nd Amendment, the NRA has seen a surge in membership. Do you think there are only 5 million gun owners in the US? They say about 25% to 50% of US citizens own guns, so on the low end 75 million gun owners.

Zardoz

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 07:37 pm
@coldjoint,
There was a time in United States when the communist party was very active and many people belonged to the communist party. In the 30s there was a real chance that the communist party had a chance to actually start electing members to elected office. Only Roosevelt's creation of social security, workers compensation and favorably labor kept the American communist party from getting much stronger. Calling someone a communist is just a typical red neck right slur and tells you much more about the ignorance of the one using the slur than anything else.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 08:22 pm
@Zardoz,
Quote:
Calling someone a communist is just a typical red neck right slur and tells you much more about the ignorance of the one using the slur than anything else.

If that is what you think, it does not change how I feel. You know the duck story, right?
Zardoz

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 08:36 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo

The page that had the definition of armor-piercing ammunition had a picture of quarter inch thick boiler plate steal that had been pierced by armor-piercing ammunition I can see why they say it will go through a car or a house.
There was sure no empathy in the tax changes this year as the poorest will pay more and the mega rich will get hundreds of millions in tax cuts. Many people will have to pay more taxes under the “republican tax cut.” A ninety year old widow I know was told they will need to take more taxes from her small pension. Welfare is a real problem but it is Welfare for rich that cost hundreds of times more than the tiny fraction that is spent on feeding the poor. All societies have provided a minimum standard to poor but we are the first to put the richest among us on “welfare.” The rich have brainwashed the country that the poor are public enemy #1. In the twenties it was the rich robber barrens that were the enemy.

By now I am sure you know yet another mass murder was committed in Tennessee with an AR-15 this is just going to get worse. You made some reference to gun debate being a bout. I think you might have something there but not quite the way you think. It is the power that attracts men to the AR-15 it is a masculinity symbol. Assault weapons serve no purpose but you know what they say the bigger the gun the smaller the equipment. It makes you feel more powerful than you are. You might not like it but “the times are changing.”

Do you not realize that law predates religion and that religion copied the existing laws? Do you think that was coincidence? Do you think that god was not invented by man to create a just world? Religion is all about a just world. We have a genetic drive toward a just world and it can be demonstrated even with monkeys. Two monkeys that are doing the same task for a reward will become upset if one monkey is given better rewards than other. The monkey that is given a lesser reward will become angry and refuse to continue doing the task.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Zardoz

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 11:01 pm
@Baldimo,
It depends what law you break, you can be arrested on Federal charges, state charges, or local charges. Unions also have constitution and many other organizations also have constitution. If I had to have a passport to get into Ohio and was stopped at the border I might be more inclined to think that I lived in a country named West Virginia. To be sure there are legal subdivisions but no one ever says I live in the country of West Virginia.
That is a particularly rotten court decision if the amendments limit the government power than it would be impossible for the government to limit someone from yelling fire in a crowded theater plus the other limits that have been put in place on amendments. Someone has to decide what limits will be imposed. In the end someone has to be in charge and that is government you might not want a king but you still have to have a government. ____________________________________________________

Let’s try a little experiment you go in a theater and start yelling fire! And see how long it is before you are arrested. Are you saying you can now yell fire in a crowded theater and watch as people are killed an injured trying to escape and it is perfectly legal?
There is a law against murder but the murders in Mississippi were done by law enforcement and they were found innocent and people in Mississippi thought the civil rights workers had it coming. The murders were prosecuted under federal law for breaking their civil rights. The federal government is the father the state government the child. There is a good fact-based movie on the incident I believe it is called “Mississippi Burning”
The second amendment is not the only amendment that limits have been placed. Free speech does not give you the right liable someone that is another way free speech is limited.
You should know that if you have a government that it is powerful one otherwise it could not exist. The Heller decision that was upheld by supreme court was very clear in stating limits can be put on the second amendment. And that was the big pro-gun decision cited by the NRA.
I guarantee that you the law that allows the police to arrest you for yelling fire in a theater is still on the books you might fight it all the way to Supreme court but you would still be jailed.
There are two books that are required reading if you are a conservative and all 1168 pages of “Atlas Shrugged.” It was written by Alisia Zinovyevna Rosenbaum, screen name Ayn Rand. She saw America an she told the rabid right how to improve America and soon as her cult got power America has gone straight downhill. Only the right would believe that the Russian know better.
Sorry there is a large study of car accidents and suicides that links automobile accidents not only to suicides but murder suicides. When there is a highly publicized suicide the number of singe car fatalities goes up for the six days following the suicide. When there is a highly publicized murder suicide the accident where there are multi-fatalities, goes up for a period of time. I have seen accidents where a car was driven deliberately in a rock wall at 80 miles an hour. If people will commit suicide there is no reason to believe they would not commit suicide by car. The next time you see headlights on your side the rode remember he may be aiming for you.
There was another mass murder with an AR-15 today and the only reason there are not 50 people dead is someone took the gun away from the shooter and threw it over the counter. This can’t go on the large capacity magazines have to go. There was also another shooting at a FL high school in this case it wasn’t a psychopath because after shooting one person he looked into the eyes of a girl and his empathy took over and he dropped the gun. We all have mirror neurons these neurons allow us to look into someone else’s face and read their emotions whether it is fear, anger or other emotions. If you have ever watched a bad movie where the actors just read lines you can tell that good actors convey the correct emotions also.
That is exactly why we have a record number of mass murders now it is easy to just say everybody that doesn’t agree with you is a nut. By saying all the mass murders are nuts it justifies doing absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

I have talked to a lot of gun owners. I had one that would come into the office all the time to complain. He was like Tweak on South Park he was wound up tighter than a watch spring. One day he came in and told me his doctor saw his gun and refused to treat him. I thought now he has a gun and no drugs. When a couple of guys went to his house to mark some junk cars he came out on the porch with his rifle and said the NRA had given him premission to shoot them. There was another owner I dealt with for 20 years he had shot three people and recently shot another and then chopped her up and threw her in the river. I know a lot of gun owners like that.
I believe any assault weapon ban has to be at the federal level.
I had this discussion before and when the mass murders done with pistols in the last fifteen years were compared to the last year and half done with assault weapons it was only a small fraction of the mass murders. There was only one mass murder with pistols that was over 30 and the shooter chained the doors shut before he started shooting.
I don’t know how you missed the gun loophole it has got more publicity than any other part of the gun debate. If I am a gun dealer and sell you a gun you must get a background check but if I am an individual at the gun show and sell you a gun there is no background check. The NRA has fought tooth and nail. The shooter in FL this week could not own a gun he went on line and bought one from an individual with no background check.
___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are an individual it doesn’t mater whether you are at a gun show or not.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Tools are what makes progress possible. Take the tools away and civilization would disappear. Assault weapons are just tools that make mass murder possible. The article stated that mass murder were almost unknow until the spread of assault weapons. You should be able to draw a graph showing the increase in number of assault weapons on the streets and the number of people killed in mass murders.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 06:43 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
The page that had the definition of armor-piercing ammunition had a picture of quarter inch thick boiler plate steal that had been pierced by armor-piercing ammunition I can see why they say it will go through a car or a house.

And...

Quote:
There was sure no empathy in the tax changes this year as the poorest will pay more and the mega rich will get hundreds of millions in tax cuts.

More untruths. The only people who won't see a tax decrease are those upper middle class people who pay more than 10k a year in state taxes in high tax states like CA IL and NY, they don't get the Federal write off any longer. Everyone else is getting a tax cut.

Quote:
It is the power that attracts men to the AR-15 it is a masculinity symbol. Assault weapons serve no purpose but you know what they say the bigger the gun the smaller the equipment. It makes you feel more powerful than you are. You might not like it but “the times are changing.”

The weakest of anti-gun arguments, "You like guns because you have a small dick..."

Quote:
To you bullets are what pass for rational thought.

You haven't presented a rational thought here yet, mostly proven lies.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 07:58 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
It depends what law you break, you can be arrested on Federal charges, state charges, or local charges.

That's true. I think a majority of people run afoul of local laws before they do Federal laws. But then again, that depends on what you are doing. Seeing as how this topic has been about guns and murder, the State usually is the first in line for prosecution.

Quote:
Unions also have constitution and many other organizations also have constitution.

Really? You are going to compare the State and Federal Constitutions to a Constitution for a Union? They aren't even close to the same thing, apples and oranges.

Quote:
If I had to have a passport to get into Ohio and was stopped at the border I might be more inclined to think that I lived in a country named West Virginia. To be sure there are legal subdivisions but no one ever says I live in the country of West Virginia.

Isn't the Interstate Commerce Clause a great thing? It forced Reciprocity for traveling between states, forced states to accept other states drives and marriage license.

Quote:
That is a particularly rotten court decision if the amendments limit the government power than it would be impossible for the government to limit someone from yelling fire in a crowded theater plus the other limits that have been put in place on amendments.

It was actually a victory for Free Speech as put forth by our First Amendment.

Quote:
Someone has to decide what limits will be imposed. In the end someone has to be in charge and that is government you might not want a king but you still have to have a government.

That's the problem with you big govt types, you think our Constitutional Rights need to be limited in favor of govt power. Our govt was never meant to be run that way.

Quote:
Let’s try a little experiment you go in a theater and start yelling fire! And see how long it is before you are arrested. Are you saying you can now yell fire in a crowded theater and watch as people are killed an injured trying to escape and it is perfectly legal?

This situation never happened, so your experiment is pointless.

Quote:
I guarantee that you the law that allows the police to arrest you for yelling fire in a theater is still on the books you might fight it all the way to Supreme court but you would still be jailed.

There is no law on the books about such a thing, unless you can prove that it exists. Sure, I can be jailed but would a DA prosecute and if the DA doesn't prosecute, I can then sue for a Rights violation and likely win.

Quote:
There are two books that are required reading if you are a conservative and all 1168 pages of “Atlas Shrugged.” It was written by Alisia Zinovyevna Rosenbaum, screen name Ayn Rand. She saw America an she told the rabid right how to improve America and soon as her cult got power America has gone straight downhill. Only the right would believe that the Russian know better.

She was a Russian who had lived under Communism, warning the US about Communism. Who better to explain that evil then someone who lived under it? You remind me of Ellsworth Toohey.
P.S. Her ideas are more Libertarian than Conservative, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
The gun statistic are one thing but mass murders are the current problem and we are now currently averaging one mass murder everyday many of smaller mass murders are only reported locally.

Stats?

Quote:
Sorry there is a large study of car accidents and suicides that links automobile accidents not only to suicides but murder suicides.

Links to the study?

Quote:
Sorry you don’t get to subdivide gun death statistics.

Yes we do. The reason you don't want the stats "subdivided" is because it destroys your whole argument of gun violence.
Out of that 30k many are suicides, 60%. The other 40% are made up specific categories, like justified homicide, none justified homicide. Of the justified homicides, you have self-defense shootings by civilian and police.
One thing that is under-counted is self-defense uses of guns, a majority of those don't involve the gun actually being fired.

Quote:
I don’t think the average gun owner is psychopath but they do have certain character flaws in common.

Your personal opinion is noted but your bias is clear. You've already stated people with guns have small dicks...

Quote:
There was another mass murder with an AR-15 today and the only reason there are not 50 people dead is someone took the gun away from the shooter and threw it over the counter. This can’t go on the large capacity magazines have to go.

Are you pushing the "high capacity" magazine theory again with no proof?

Quote:
That is exactly why we have a record number of mass murders now it is easy to just say everybody that doesn’t agree with you is a nut. By saying all the mass murders are nuts it justifies doing absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

I'm pretty sure you are the one pointing out that those who don't agree with you are nuts, oh and they have small dicks.

Quote:
I have talked to a lot of gun owners.

I don't think you have talked to a lot of gun owners.

Quote:
I believe any assault weapon ban has to be at the federal level.

Of course you do, you are a big govt supporter.

Quote:
I had this discussion before and when the mass murders done with pistols in the last fifteen years were compared to the last year and half done with assault weapons it was only a small fraction of the mass murders. There was only one mass murder with pistols that was over 30 and the shooter chained the doors shut before he started shooting.

Links?

Quote:
I don’t know how you missed the gun loophole it has got more publicity than any other part of the gun debate.

It's a myth pushed by the anti-gun left.

Quote:
If I am a gun dealer and sell you a gun you must get a background check but if I am an individual at the gun show and sell you a gun there is no background check.

That is not a loophole. That is the actual law, private sellers do not have to perform a background check, there is no regulation on private sales. Apples and Oranges. Besides, go to a gun show and walk around the floor trying to sell a gun, you will be asked to leave. Now what you do outside of the building is a different matter.

Quote:
The NRA has fought tooth and nail. The shooter in FL this week could not own a gun he went on line and bought one from an individual with no background check.

He used a shotgun, doesn't fit your AR narrative. Facts? I've read numerous stories this morning and haven't found anything on how he got the gun.

Quote:
Assault weapons are just tools that make mass murder possible. The article stated that mass murder were almost unknow until the spread of assault weapons. You should be able to draw a graph showing the increase in number of assault weapons on the streets and the number of people killed in mass murders.

The AR platform has been around since the 1960's... mass shootings are a new thing. You once again have no facts to back your statements.

Quote:
I have never been a big fan of Planed Parenthood but the NRA has the blood of millions on their hands.

You don't like the NRA, that's why you feel this way. In reality, PP has been directly involved in the deaths of MILLIONS of babies where the NRA has been involved in none. You can't find one NRA member who has been involved in a mass shooting.