How would you fix the U.S Government?

Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:46 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

If we stick with the constitution your concern evaporates.
I would love to witness you telling a crowd of black folks that they are now entitled to pull a plow; but you would likely get us both hanged...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:52 pm
@Fido,
Why do you hate black Americans?
What have they ever done to you?
Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:57 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Why do you hate black Americans?
What have they ever done to you?
I only told them we should go back to the old constitution that made them slaves, and they hated me for being so stupid, so I hated them right back...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:03 pm
@Fido,

We realize you hate black Americans - that is who you are, but you
need to show proof that the the constitution made blacks slaves.
Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

How better could it make them slaves then to keep them slaves, and even to give the south representation based upon 3/5th of a slave, and allow children to be born into slavery, and to recognize that status as chattels... If the government could not protect the slave from slavery it could not protect the free from competition with slaves, and this was one of the causes of the civil war...
hamilton

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 01:18 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

How better could it make them slaves then to keep them slaves, and even to give the south representation based upon 3/5th of a slave, and allow children to be born into slavery, and to recognize that status as chattels... If the government could not protect the slave from slavery it could not protect the free from competition with slaves, and this was one of the causes of the civil war...

for once, im able to correct you.
the civil war was not caused because of slavery. or at least not directly because of slavery. the south had put it simply. if abe was elected, then they would secede. Abraham had gone through alot of the war before he even decided on giving the emancipation proclamation. his first duty was to the union, not to the slaves.
Fido

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:07 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

for once, im able to correct you.
the civil war was not caused because of slavery. or at least not directly because of slavery. the south had put it simply. if abe was elected, then they would secede. Abraham had gone through alot of the war before he even decided on giving the emancipation proclamation. his first duty was to the union, not to the slaves.
Oh ya!!! They divided themselves, that is, the Democrat party over the issue of Slavery, and then when they did not elect their candidate they said it was the Republican's fault they were going to war... What Lincoln said was: That is cool... Like a highwayman saying give me your money or I will be forced to shoot you, and then you will be guilty of murder....

By what right did they dictate to the North who would be president when they lost it on their own??? I will tell you that slavery had everything to do with it, morally and financially... Slavery took the honor out of free labor to the point where white farmers in the South would barely lift a finger to help themselves... Slavery lowered the price of labor everywhere, and just as in Rome, it drove free men from their land because they could not support themselves on it... With the threat that all free soil, that free men wanted for free men would be opened up to slavery, the move for succession began first in the North, and only as the Republicans became a majority was the idea quietly discarded... Lincoln was correct, that we have no natural boundries between North and South, and that we could no more than split than we would become enemeies... Lincoln was correct the the South was no place for poor white men to remove to, but to remove from... Though the South had won every important victory against the Northern Abolitionists in the political field, they had not won any victory in the moral field... What one observer concluded, that bad morals mean bad roads is equally true today... The South lagged behind the North in every social indicator... They had not the libraries, not the people who could read or write, not the roads nor the industry to support war, and not the free population the defense of liberty demands... In fact, New York City considered for a time secceeding from the North in Sympathy to the South because it had so much money invested in the South, but just as now, that interest kept the slaves in slavery, and bled the whole society of its profits... It was the price of replacing slaves that set the price of Cotton, and they were devalued as machinery is now, and their life expectancy was only ten years once they had been sold down the river into the gulf cotton producing states... Oh Suzanna with all its contrary talk is an invitation to cry for the slave going to Louisianna and to his death... That land swallowed up human beings, and no one survived to tell of it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:10 pm
Keep one thing in mind, there has never been a 'civil war' in these United States of America.
We have had a war between the north and the south, no civil war.
Fido

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:16 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Keep one thing in mind, there has never been a 'civil war' in these United States of America.
We have had a war between the north and the south, no civil war.
Except for the fact that is what a civil war is, I would agree with you... I think the proper name for the Civil War is the War of the Rebellion, but what ever you call it, a civil war was what it was...
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:20 pm
@Fido,
Fido, you're barking up the wrong tree.

There has never been a civil war in the USA.
Fido

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Fido, you're barking up the wrong tree.

There has never been a civil war in the USA.
I would believe you better if I had not read so many books on the civil war... They must have been talking about some other civil war...
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:46 pm
@Fido,
How did you come to learn what you have learned?

I have lived in many of the states the battles took place and know the real American
history, not the crap taught in government schools over the past 40 years or so.

My parents were born in states that once made up the original
colonies. I was also born in a state that was an original colony.

http://www.joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/PIX/PATRIOTISM/betsy_ross_flag_and_flintlock2.jpg
Fido

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:46 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

How did you come to learn what you have learned?

I have lived in many of the states the battles took place and know the real American
history, not the crap taught in government schools over the past 40 years or so.

My parents were born in states that once made up the original
colonies. I was also born in a state that was an original colony.

http://www.joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/PIX/PATRIOTISM/betsy_ross_flag_and_flintlock2.jpg

I have several feet of books on Lincoln, and at least two to three on the American Civil War... Reading is the source of my entire education excluding mandatory highschool and a year at MSU... I had a relative in the 55th Pennsylvannia Volunteers, a Great Great Grandfather, who was on the safe end of Little Round Top, and in nearly every major battle against Lee... I almost always have a book going about the War... Now, I am reading another on the great General N B Forrest... I have another volume on the confederate states I am nearly half way through that paints a picture of the South as nearly what America is today, as a people who will not pay taxes when they can to support their own independence and which expect the government to pull money out of their butts to defend their property... I have two books just purchaced at the MSU surplus store: Industrial Slavery in the Old South, by Starobin, and Slavery and the Southern Economy, Sources and Readings compiled and edited by Woodman... The volume mentioned above without title goes into some detail about the use of slaves to replace white labor in factories, for a price; but it appears that the war only expedited a trend well under way...

BTW, a Grandfther of the GGF I mentioned above also fought in our revolutionary war against Britain, though I believe he began fighting as a Hessian against our cause...
Old Goat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:59 am
I think that all American politicians should go through the same rigorous training that the British MP's go through.

They should all attend Public schools as children, and learn to endure a good sound thrashing at least once a week, secretly wear women's clothing and have freezing cold showers whenever an improper urge invades their thoughts.

The UK didn't become the mighty power that it is today by having normal people legislating on it's behalf.

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:05 am
@Fido,
Keep reading...
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:06 am
@Old Goat,
What should we do with all of the orthodontist and dentist we have here?
hamilton

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:09 am
@H2O MAN,
keep em. if it hurts, its healthy.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:19 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Keep reading...
Why not??? If you advised me to shut what is almost my only door unto the world; do you think I would follow it???
You might want to try it yourself..
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:25 am
when we fixed our dog and cat, we spayed and neutered them

so i suggest we start by taking a spade to the back of newts head (and then continue on through the ranks of all parties (repeat as necessary every two years))
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:46 am
@Fido,
I shut doors behind me and open them for the ladies, have you tried that?