How would you fix the U.S Government?

Fido

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:28 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
There is nothing that we do in this life that is not subject to law

My dreams and thoughts are my very own and are not subject to any law of either God or of man.
Dreams and thoughts are not things... Things are Res, a Latin word from which we get our Re(s)ality....Cool???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:12 pm
@Fido,
Our criminal justice system is broken. Money is still what speaks the language of "getting away with murder." Our prisons are filled with people because they were caught with illegal drugs. Many are in prison, because they couldn't hire a good lawyer.

The republicans are in the middle of class warfare; they want to help the rich get richer, and destroy unions and government programs that supports all Americans - including republicans.

I'm not sure what the future holds for this country, but with our infrastructure needing maintenance and repair and government services being reduced, it doesn't look good for the majority.

Fido

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Our criminal justice system is broken. Money is still what speaks the language of "getting away with murder." Our prisons are filled with people because they were caught with illegal drugs. Many are in prison, because they couldn't hire a good lawyer.

The republicans are in the middle of class warfare; they want to help the rich get richer, and destroy unions and government programs that supports all Americans - including republicans.

I'm not sure what the future holds for this country, but with our infrastructure needing maintenance and repair and government services being reduced, it doesn't look good for the majority.

People are in prison to scare the rest... We all belong there.... Rich and poor belong there... Those who stand up for their rights belong there as do those who let others walk all over them... Because law does not achieve justice, and is not intended to achieve justice it teaches a universal contempt of law... People cheat on their taxes, or exceed the speed limit because every body does it... That is the essential justification for all illegality, and when the rich do what is not right, make laws to legalize what is not right when everyone, even they know it is not right, then they justify all behavior where right and justice is not the goal...

We have a universal contempt for human rights, and the rights of future humanity.... We care nothing about the world or the people in it; and what we do care for, and find meaning in: Money, is a thing by itself meaningless and empty... And that is how our lives are digested, in the pursuit of some meningless empty form -all the while trampling on human life and life of all sorts....

Prisons are just places we send bad people to be made worse... There is no true difference between the inside and the outside... Those in prison cannot trust society to show them any humanity, we cannot trust them, and we can trust no one... This is life in a demoralized society... Morals were all that separated primitives from wild and fearful nature, and now we have not even that...
hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:56 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

People cheat on their taxes, or exceed the speed limit because every body does it...
[/quote]not because they think they can save money or get somewhere faster???
Fido

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:52 am
@hamilton,
Quote:
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

People cheat on their taxes, or exceed the speed limit because every body does it...
not because they think they can save money or get somewhere faster???
[/quote]If robbing the government of revenue which should lay an equal burden on each is saving money, then what of robbing banks, or little old ladies, or children of their lunch money??? It does not matter to me how people want to justify their lawlessness, but when they see everyone doing it, they feel positively stupid not taking the same advantage for themselves... Well; in the Constitution people set themselves up with an unfair advantage that has only grown worse though it has cost us a civil war and millions of lives... If stealing the country from king was not a large enough crime, then stealing the whole country nice and legal like through the organization of government was worse... Every day the number of victims multiplies, not only here, but around the world as the unjustice we must suffer we make others suffer in our stead...

Law should be, like government, something we do by common consent... Isn't that what the constitution admits, that it gets its authority from the consent of the governed... Well that consent is being fast eroded, but what is there to replace it with: Doubt and mutual suspician, perhaps??? The society should reflect some basic acceptence of equality... Even under Feudalism, the kings were not above the law... In our system of goverment we consider all people by different standards, and it was once worse... It makes a great difference in law whether a person owns property or does not... Wealth is the price of equality under the law... People respond to that basic injustice with injustice... They see the rich have rules for themselves, and different rules for everyone else... This inequality teaches people to take advantage, and this breach of faith, beginning first with the rich and leading to all parts of society is the demoralization and destruction of society... So what if each man is a law unto himself... This is not law, first; and second, it is not justice because justice is something determined by both society and the individual together... And it is not smart, because some bad actions simply have no natural limits... We have speed limits, usually far below what the machines and roads can handle... In Germany there is no speed limit, but God help you if you kill some one while driving too fast... If we drive beyond the speed limit we are also driving beyond our limits, beyond the limits of our natures and of the machines we drive which are all of various quality and state of repair... Not one of them has brakes equal to the speed to which they may be pushed.... For us to set ourselves up as judges of our own behavior because we trust no other means we may be commiting suicide, or murder by car...

I do not pretend to be any better than any other in regard to driving... Only fortune saved me... I was once on a verge of losing my licence just for speeding... I changed lanes at eighty miles an hour through spaces between cars that no one could park a car in... I had a hot rod that I was entirely certain of, and I drove it like a gd maniac... But in the process I learned something about human behavior... I cannot count on my understanding to motivate any one... The essential moral understanding, which is a real connectedness between members of any community is lacking in most people... We are demoralized, and without morals we have no law, or justice.... The reason people do not speed is that they are literally terrified of the police or the process of driving... The reason they do speed is that they are immoral, and put self before all others no matter what the risk to them or to others...
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:40 am
@Fido,
Fido, Good post; it shows your understanding of the human psyche with all our flaws and misdeeds. We humans are not always honest with others or ourselves.
Fido

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido, Good post; it shows your understanding of the human psyche with all our flaws and misdeeds. We humans are not always honest with others or ourselves.
You know; when I was still working for a living, I always drove fast, usually because I was running late due to poor organizational abilities... I had no points on my licence using a simple technique... I waited until some one passed me and tried to keep them in sight.... When I used to drive real fast, I found some one would always pass me anyway.... When it comes to exceeding the speed limit, there is no limit... If you are going to bust it by 20 mph, then some one will go for 30... Once I was pulled over, half asleep from too many hours contracting, and it was all for driving in the passing lane... Was I going too fast; I asked... No, said the trooper... I never pull anyone over going less than ten miles over... Off with a warning...
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:44 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

The reason they do speed is that they are immoral, and put self before all others no matter what the risk to them or to others...
not because their drunk, scared of getting caught by something scary (think zombies, or something like that in a movie)?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 03:22 pm
Quote:
How would you fix the U.S Government?

Start by setting a good example... I guess we will have to wait until Obama is out of office though.

Limousine Liberals? Number of Government-Owned Limos Has Soared Under Obama
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:04 pm
ummm... it just occured to me that unless we actually do something, then this discussion is a waste of time. what would you DO to fix the U.S government?
Fido

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:10 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

ummm... it just occured to me that unless we actually do something, then this discussion is a waste of time. what would you DO to fix the U.S government?
Wise people think before they act, and thought when every other is engaged in the madness of the same old pointless activity is an act of revolution... The constitution can be re-written, saving the Preamble... This needs to be followed up with forming new relationships outside of the government... The old form has nearly destroyed itself and its power over the people... It can hurt us, but it cannot help itself... We need to form a nation, and withdraw our essential trust from the old form to see it finally fall... We, and our trust, and hope is all that is keeping it going... We need to find common ground, and invest our hope in each other...
hamilton

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 11:33 am
@Fido,
ok. i invest my hope in other people, and have done so since birth (thanks mom!), but really, nothing happened to the government. besides, isnt that what people do when we elect presidents? are you saying we should reform the government? personally, i think we should...
0 Replies

op

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 01:11 am
@Food For Thought,
After long hours of research I think I may have found a way to restore democracy through the simple constitutional repeal of an act passed in 1929 for the purpose of "controling the house of representatives". By repealing the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 and reinstating the rules put in place by the founding fathers to apportion our house at 1 representative to 15,000 voters, not to exceed 15,000 representatives we could restore our democratic-republic. The use of a vertual meeting envirnment for congress would be advisable to save money. Note: this would end the electoral college system corruption as we know it. High/Low apportionment as of the 1999 census were around 1/480,000 and 1/720,000 representative/voter ratios.

Lets take back our country in the ballot boxes!
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 05:52 am
@op,
op wrote:

After long hours of research I think I may have found a way to restore democracy through the simple constitutional repeal of an act passed in 1929 for the purpose of "controling the house of representatives". By repealing the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 and reinstating the rules put in place by the founding fathers to apportion our house at 1 representative to 15,000 voters, not to exceed 15,000 representatives we could restore our democratic-republic. The use of a vertual meeting envirnment for congress would be advisable to save money. Note: this would end the electoral college system corruption as we know it. High/Low apportionment as of the 1999 census were around 1/480,000 and 1/720,000 representative/voter ratios.

Lets take back our country in the ballot boxes!
True enough... Now try to get any of those assholes to give up personal or party power for the power of the institution.... That is our democracy, as much democracy as we were allowed,,, If we sent an army there, their physical presence would be enough to bring the Court and the Senate into line... And it will never happen... The parties were behind fixing the number and are behind all the Gerrymandering and they will never let the house go to the people...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm

The very first step is to make sure Obama is not elected for a 2nd term.
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

The very first step is to make sure Obama is not elected for a 2nd term.
Easily done; just find a viable Republican candidate... I know; if you could breed those has been was beens you might get the pick of the litter to run against Obamam but short of that happening the Repubs is doomed... You can't beat something with nothin... As much a nothin as GW was, he still couldn't be beat by nothing.... People need a reason to change from the known to the unknown, and all the unknowns running against Mr. Obama have so many negatives that they are less than nothing... Some people, like your self, will vote for who ever the republicans nominate... That ain't everybody... People need a better reason than hate to embrace the unknown...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 05:23 pm
@Fido,
They no longer know how to think for themselves, so any candidate the GOP plans to choose will have their 100% support.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 08:04 pm
The best way to fix our government is to only elect people who believe government can work.We keep electing people who believe government can never work and then they go about making it ineffective to prove they are right. If you had a business would you only hire people who believed it was doomed to failure? Why don't we see this is the same in our political system? I want politicians who have faith in the power of effective government and who want to create a system that proves it.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 05:15 am
@Green Witch,
A politician with integrity? Honor? Courage? Wisdom? People like that don't run for office because we're all to busy posting our view on A2K Wink
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 05:23 am
@Fido,
The only 'hate' I see comes from the left.