Hospice vs Palliative care

dlowan

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:38 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

yeah, doc said today "by doing this I am saying you are expected to die within 6 months" to which I replied "If I'm still alive, am I required to suicide?" She said "no, it will mean I have to do more paperwork to reinstate you, or you could just suicide, I hate paperwork"

True? If so I love her!
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:38 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Doc asked me today if I get out much, I told her "last time I was out was when Debbie Lowen was here from Oz. Doc said "suicide ain't so bad."

Oy!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:43 pm
What was the doc's name: Phibes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:17 pm
@dyslexia,
In two weeks time, you'll have a lot of opportunities to go out again!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:52 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
I think about you a lot old friend and wish you and Diane well.
georgeob, I suppose you and I have agreed on little yet we have remained friends, I don't suppose I can ask for much more. At this point I am sad that others have declined that friendship/compassion due to political ideology.

Well Dys, it's not too late to reform your views, but I don't think you will .... crankiness and all that. As I recall we found there was actually quite a lot about which we agreed during a very pleasant dinner.
0 Replies

Roberta

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:21 am
Palliative shmalliative. Don't like amounts of time. You'll live as long as you live. And you should live as long as you wanna live.
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 03:56 am
@dyslexia,
Dear Bob, to this day I wouldn't even have heard of Chaco Canyon if it wasn't for you. Thanks for telling me, and thanks for lending me the truck to get there!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:01 pm
should be an interesting day, the Hospice staff is coming to our home to meet me and Diane this afternoon. I assume this means that soon they will be coming and doing their Hospice stuff, should I ask for good drugs right away or work that in over time? (any suggestions for "good drugs?) What happens i they think I'm too cranky/elitist?
sozobe

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:14 pm
@dyslexia,
Ask away, that's a big part of their job and I don't think you can shock 'em.

Might be different in Albaturkey of course but the hospice nurses I grew up with (my mom but also she'd take me in fairly often and most of her friends were hospice nurses) were a fairly unshockable bunch. Being able to really ease pain, sometimes for the first time in a long time, is one of the better parts of their job.
dyslexia

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:11 pm
@sozobe,
I just phoned my cousin, gave her the lowdown, she's the only one outside a2k with an inkling. no other friends/relatives.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:27 pm
@dyslexia,
What soz said, and they're probably used to cranky, too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 03:20 pm
I signed a bunch of papers about use of body parts and not holding Hospice responsible. Morphine starts arriving next thursday.
dyslexia

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 03:46 pm
Quote:
Morphine starts arriving next thursday.
actually this seems to be a good thing as there is a new drug for "rescue inhalers" that is many x more effective than what I'm taking now. Also, the regular inhalers plus O2 are covered FREE under hospice so I now will only pay $ for my hypertension meds. this alone will save me $100's per month.
ehBeth

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 03:54 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
Morphine starts arriving next thursday.

Good. Comfort is important.

Take the $ from meds and get some of the good booze you like.
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:15 pm
@dyslexia,
Next Thursday! <hmph>. I guess that's better than next Friday.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 30 Apr, 2011 04:09 am
@dyslexia,
That sounds very good. I think that you will notice an appreciable difference right away. Be careful though, about taking narcotics with booze. You might not care for the effects! Shocked Maybe the hospice nurses can give you an idea about just how much you can indulge, w/o causing any problems.

I take hydrocodone for my bad back. The difference in my frame of mind is amazing. I go from being a testy bitch, to an adorable, sweet natured doll. (Well, maybe I AM exaggerating a bit!) Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:02 am
actually, several staff were here yesterday afternoon, they went over lots of issues including meds. About 6 last evening I got a call from Hospice, many of my meds are the current popular ones but they have much newer not available to the public meds. They will be here monday morning 9 a.m. with the meds (FREE) also they measured our shower and are bringing a shower chair to fit, I will be getting steroids my reg doc can't prescribe, the nurse will be here 2 x weekly plus the hospice doc as needed and other staff (social worker-etc) as well.
Roberta

Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
@dyslexia,
Sounds excellent. Looks like they're on top of things and doing what's right. Free meds. Shower chair (I have one). Steroids! Miss them. Not only did they help with my breathing, but they also gave me energy.

Bon chance, mon ami.
0 Replies

mags314772

Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:37 am
@dyslexia,
dys...the hospice pople will probably tell you this, but when you take morphine, vicodine or the like, it can be very constipating. Be sure to take some stool softener. Spoken from one who had to go to the emergency room with a fecal impaction. That's the last thing you need
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:44 am
I'm feeling quite ambivalent this morning, looking forward to relief, physical and emotional relief, less pain, greater mobility, hopefully spend time sitting on the patio enjoying garden but then there's loss of hope, the nearness of finality, the end of days. I think all this must be very difficult for Diane; she cancelled her trip to colorado to visit her cousins today because of her concern for me. that alone makes me sad. if anyone has some kind words for Diane please sent them to her.
bob