wine to go with turkey dinner

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:47 pm
I got a couple bottles of Aveleta Vinho Verde for our upcoming turkey dinner to be enjoyed with Roger and Osso. I'm thinking it's a good match for turkey dinner and it's cheap. To be served very cold.

roger

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Ripple is just fine. I'm driving, anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:57 pm
Lone Star is dandy, but wine is quicker.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
@dyslexia,
I do hope it comes in a carton. You don't want any broken glass lying about.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
well Mr Andrew, I have no problem with box wines but then I'm not a snob. I'm pretty sure I had you on ignore, must be an error to get your post.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
So here's Fredy Girardet's lemon tart recipe. We'll see how many ways from sunday I can mess up -

http://www.yum-recipes.com/Recipe/Uncategorized/104551_Fredy_Girardets_Lemon_Tart.html

The other is Apple Pie. I can screw that up too.

Let's figure nobody will care by then..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:06 pm
@dyslexia,
I see that posted as a non sequitur - but I wrote another post first, all about the wine being fine and then segueing to that I'd be bringing pie.
Oh well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:13 pm
Quote:
Critics agree that this gently effervescent Portuguese white wine is an excellent value and a perfect choice for hot summer days. Its high acidity makes it refreshing, and a bit of spiciness tempers the melon, green apple and peach flavors. This is a fairly straightforward, light wine, so reviews say it's best served with light fish preparations, including sushi and salads. If you're looking for a more complex wine, reviews point to Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc 2007 (*est. $11), which is said to have more minerals, tropical fruits and spice.

http://www.consumersearch.com/wine/aveleda-vinho-verde-quinta-da-aveleda

Here are some suggestions for wine with a turkey dinner
http://www.cellarnotes.net/wine_with_turkey.htm
dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
when it comes to wines I tend to drink what I like, what tastes good be it Chilean Cabs or Portuguese whites even aussie Rosemount (Roxburgh Chardonnay). I perfer common table wines and generally avoid "fine" desert wines.
Mame

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:27 pm
Shee-it... wish I was there for that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:30 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes of course, you can drink whatever you want dys. The thing is that turkey
has a high acidity level (ph 5+) and the wine you have chosen has also a high
acidity level. There might be some heartburn....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:33 pm
we are making enough food for an army as squinney tends to do.. but there are only 5 this year. The grocery store had loss leaderturkeys for 40 cents a pound so we bought a couple of 15 pounders and we'll be freezing all different kinds of turkey dishes and eating them all winter.

I like the Pinot Noir idea and we are fans of sterling vinyards cab already so I think we'll try that.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:36 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
sterling vinyards cab
man bear, I don't if anyone has pointed this out to you but YOU are a barbarian. why not just have a diet pepsi and a t-bone steak.
jjorge

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:53 pm
@dyslexia,
Back in the fifties when most people didn't drink wine, my Boston Irish parents used to buy a bottle of inexpensive port to go with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. (I think they believed it was very sophisticated)

It was the only kind of wine I ever saw them drink and it was the only two days in the year when there was wine in the house . (although there was always whiskey!)

On those days my siblings and I were given parental dispensation to drink a glass of the port because they were: 'special occasions.'

Americans, including me, have grown more knowledgeable about wines since those days but now, with both parents gone, I find myself craving the strong sweet taste of red port for Thanksgiving.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:09 pm
@dyslexia,
why not indeed? I'd prefer a shot of everclear strained through Halle Berry's panties and a fish sandwich though.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:09 pm
@jjorge,
tawny port... heaven in a bottle.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:14 pm
@jjorge,
You see, those are the traditions everyone loves, no matter what it is and
how tacky it is. The fact that it's repeated year after year and becomes a tradition gives us the feeling of comfort and good memories.

That's also the reason we have goose for Thanksgiving and not turkey. Wink
It reminds me of my family holidays (although we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving).
dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:16 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

why not indeed? I'd prefer a shot of everclear strained through Halle Berry's panties and a fish sandwich though.
well, good taste is timeless.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes indeed.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:26 pm
I prefer a merlot or a shiraz.