Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
I suppose I over use blasphemy here on a2k as I use a very broad brush when I infact mean to direct it towards those individuals whose actions and words exhibit the polar opposite of the religious values they espouse. I personally know many religious people who uphold the humanitarian values of their professed religious beliefs and they get my total respect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:18 pm
@dyslexia,
Blasphemy seems to have lost effect. I'm now more inclined towards obscenity and scatology.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:42 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
... I personally know many religious people who uphold the humanitarian values of their professed religious beliefs...

I know a lot of religious people, mostly relatives, yet I don't know ANY people "who uphold... humanitarian values..."

WTF?

My Totally-Atheist morality is, shall I say, more... thoughtful, and thorough.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
I've been meaning to look up what eschatology means..

We are all learning and often refiguring.

Or, maybe not all of us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:55 pm
@BorisKitten,
Carry on, BorisK.

I have bunches of people who uphold humanitarian values in my life, several with religion, many without.

I lack theism, but there are often some commonalities between them that they mostly don't discern.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:57 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I personally know many religious people who uphold the humanitarian values of their professed religious beliefs and they get my total respect.

I believe that you and i both have mentioned Catholic Social Services and Lutheran Social Services, two organization which practice genuine Christian charity without preening themselves on or trumpeting their virtue.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:00 pm
@Setanta,
yeah, that was my experience.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:18 pm
Just when I become disgusted with it all, I encounter someone like that. They help to keep me sane.
0 Replies