Hospice vs Palliative care

dyslexia

Wed 4 May, 2011 10:30 am
@dlowan,
dear Miss Debbie, I am in a general sense, feeling much better. chest pain is now minimal, breathing is easier, (still a cranky elitist) and yes the team is advocating increased usage of morphine and Lorazepam; It is solely my judgment to take less than allowed for a few days, (to see/feel effects) should I feel I need further relief from distress I will increase my dosage. at this point, I don't feel the need. ( a week from now might be different so that's why the med nurse is coming 2 x weekly) for me, a key is my sleeping comfortably which I am doing. re the steroids, I read that 3-4 days is needed for increase in appetite. I will continue to assess and may ask for changes when the nurse comes this friday. So far, I am satisfied with my current medical state but constant change is here to stay. My medical chart which remains beside my chair I have written/titled "NOT DEAD YET"
dlowan

Wed 4 May, 2011 10:53 am
@dyslexia,
Fantastic!

Especially the not dead bit
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 4 May, 2011 10:59 am
@dyslexia,
my main hope is that when Herr Walter (and Missus Walter) arrive in 2 weeks I will be able to join them for dinner at my favorite diner for garlic grilled scallops/shrimp and a petite T-bone steak followed the next evening by alaskan King crab with a loaded baked potato,followed by by quiet conversation on my patio. there are others I would live to invite but it wouldn't be a reasonable trip for them. (plenty of ice cold Dos X's for LittleK and a bottle of George Dickel for those so inclined especially for the ash toss. There's quite a list of others but I shall not mention them for it might ruin their reputation by association.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 4 May, 2011 11:13 am
@dyslexia,
Due to the fact that I had been on your patio (and in the garage, because that's the place where the world is being changed!) more than once ... my reputation is already down as down can be.

[And in two weeks, we already should already reminisce about that meal: we'll arrive in A on Sunday (I don't think that we'll get lost in the Rockies, because a) I have your plan, b) I did the very same tour already in September Wink )
0 Replies

littlek

Wed 4 May, 2011 07:40 pm
@dyslexia,
What about MY reputation!? I guess it's either nontarnishable or already ruined. <grin>.

I am happy to see that you are feeling somewhat better (it seems to me, anyway).
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 6 May, 2011 05:13 am
@dyslexia,
Sounds fun! I hope you get to enjoy those meals and times too. Thinking of you and Lady Diane and keeping you both in my heart.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 6 May, 2011 05:57 am
@dyslexia,
A consummation devoutly to be wished.
0 Replies

Izzie

Sat 7 May, 2011 03:32 am
Hey Bob - how's the pain management today? Hoping you had a good sleep last night.
x
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 7 May, 2011 08:11 am
@dyslexia,
feeling pretty good this morning, thinking to combo the combo of drugs (morphine/steroids/loarzepamam) has eased the chest pain/breathing) nurse was here yesterday, she said the drugs increase my lethargy/sleeping but that's a good thing. This coming monday I'm having my head shaved (mjor change in image)--heaing system gets turned on monday and cooler gets turning on. no real changed in appetite---front and rear doors get repainted red on monday. still having problems keeping track of meds. may have over-dosed yesteray. gave away all my tools yerterday as I have no ability to use them (when to my best friend) BP is good but O2 is low so nurse turned up flow rate. plan to sell my truck. morphine/predneznone/lorazepam some powerful drugs. anticipate increases in dosages as time passages. concentration decreasing, having difficulty staying on task/posting/reading posts.
Hospice team are all local people (New Mexico) which are very, nice. Nurse has arm tatooed, I like that, no political correctness. I will keep posting as long as I can but vision is declining .
JPB

Sat 7 May, 2011 08:57 am
@dyslexia,
Thumbs up to feeling better and getting more sleep. Thumbs down to difficulties in keeping your meds straight. That's not good. Did they give you any suggestions on how to get a better handle on that?

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty reading and writing. Maybe as time goes on we can keep typing and someone can read our thoughts to you and transcribe yours to us.

I'm glad you like your hospice team.

Continued hugs to you both.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 7 May, 2011 09:11 am
@dyslexia,
I am very sorry to hear that you are having trouble reading...maybe due to overdose? Hope so.
0 Replies

George

Sat 7 May, 2011 09:13 am
@dyslexia,
We can read your posts just fine. Write what you can when you can.

I approve the shaved-head look. More aerodynamic.

Hang in there.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 7 May, 2011 09:18 am
@dyslexia,
It probably will take a while until the dosage is adjusted and you'll feel the
side effects of it - lethargy, staying focused and reading/writing. Once your
medication is adjusted you should be more alert. Hang in there!
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 7 May, 2011 09:24 am
Big print for Dys! I hope it is just the lethargy from the medicines that is making it hard to concentrate, post and read. Why are you getting your head shaved? I am very happy you feel good about your nurses. Having a good relationship with them makes a huge difference.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 7 May, 2011 09:33 am
@dyslexia,
dunno that the mini-me look is gonna work for you.

you got a rather craggy dome.

hope your hat still fits...
0 Replies

Eva

Sat 7 May, 2011 10:17 am
Yeah, I'm curious about the head shaving thing, too. I'm VERY glad to hear you're feeling better, getting rest, and taking care of stuff around the house! Major improvement! I hope the fuzziness decreases when they get the meds adjusted.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 8 May, 2011 12:52 pm
doors are painted red front and back, makes me smile.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 May, 2011 12:55 pm
@dyslexia,
We'll inspect that Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 9 May, 2011 12:23 am
@dyslexia,
Lovely! (Might do that myself!)

Glad it made you smile, Bob.

http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/28259/28259-3/preview.jpg

0 Replies

msolga

Mon 9 May, 2011 12:38 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
This coming monday I'm having my head shaved (mjor change in image)

That certainly will be a big change in image! Surprised
Would you like a Beanie (something like this one, perhaps?) to keep your head warm?
If yes & it can be arranged. Smile
You might really feel the cold for a bit.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/BaKonNGritz/Paul/Paul%202/65goodnumberny.jpg
0 Replies