Hospice vs Palliative care

roger

Sun 1 May, 2011 06:21 pm
@High Seas,
I can't disagree, and anything beats the image of flying dachshunds.
ossobuco

Sun 1 May, 2011 06:23 pm
@High Seas,
Yikes! Seems like an exceptionally dumb move.

Was it geese that got the plane that went down in the Hudson?
High Seas

Sun 1 May, 2011 06:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, these were geese, but that flight was out of LaGuardia, not out of JFK. LaGuardia never had any adjacent bird sanctuaries and patrolling falcons.
roger

Sun 1 May, 2011 06:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Sure hope it wasn't falcons.

Geeze. Enough digression.
ossobuco

Sun 1 May, 2011 07:28 pm
@High Seas,
Ah, so.... that makes sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 1 May, 2011 07:29 pm
@roger,
You're right, I goofed.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 1 May, 2011 07:38 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
People haven't changed very much; ****-heads are still ****-heads and the others are still as compassionate as they ever were, no change there.

You're sounding much more like your old self again, Bob.
Very good to see!
More, more, I say! Very Happy Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 1 May, 2011 08:40 pm
@roger,
Have you seen truly enormous gulls? It's almost frightening. They weren't meant to be this size, I'm guessing, but a few generations of dumpster diving can change the world... like a pack of yappy, elitist dogs, I say.
0 Replies

Diane

Sun 1 May, 2011 10:26 pm
The many words of caring and kindness are very meaningful to Bob and I. We are so greatful to our friends.

The trip to Colorado Springs can easily be postponed and since Bob hadn't been doing well, I couldn't have enjoyed myself anyway.

It amazes me that someone brought morphine for Bob on Saturday so that he could get relief as soon as possible, and the relief was immediate.

I feel relief that Bob is now under the care of Hospice. It simply means that he will be as comfortable as possible, not that he will die any sooner than he would have without hospice; in fact, it could prolong his life now that he is no longer under the terrible stress of intense pain most of the time.

We are both realistic about death, there have been many deaths of friends and family in our lives, so none of this is foriegn to us. We understand that Bob is dying and we both know that the love we have for each other will never die.

Our lives have come to depend on love and friendship from each other and from our friends. I can't imagine how lonely it might have been without our a2k friends.
msolga

Sun 1 May, 2011 10:30 pm
@Diane,
How are you doing, Diane?
This has been a very intense time for you.
I hope you're taking good care of yourself, too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 1 May, 2011 10:40 pm
@Diane,
There are many ironies in life Diane. In loving we find love, in caring for others we find peace, and in grasping for our own satisfactions we usually find only frustration. I sincerely hope you are getting these deserved benefits in full measure.

Whatever his present state I still find Bob to be an amiable, interesting guy who brings an interesting perspective to things; considers other points of view; thinks; and stays true to his convictions. He and you were very good company indeed, and I hope each passing day brings you both some joy, pleasure and rest.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 2 May, 2011 01:03 pm
case management nurse just left after a 3 hour visit. I'm tired. bottom line is she will have delivered immediately any medication I want/need for comfort. This is not the medical model I am used to. My comfort is now the primary focus, I really need to rethink medical intervention and to ask for what I need/want.
Thomas

Mon 2 May, 2011 01:22 pm
@dyslexia,
So how are you feeling about this change?
0 Replies

jjorge

Tue 3 May, 2011 04:44 am
@Diane,
Glad that dys is receiving hospice care and it is working well.
My late fiancee' was a hospice client and, at a certain point had an aide come each morning to help her bath, dress etc. I didn't usually leave for work until the aid arrived, and I remember each morning the last thing I'd hear as I was going out the door was the two of them laughing and joking together.
Hospice not only vastly improves the client's quality of life, but apparently hospice patients on average live longer as a result of that improvement.
Sending warm thoughts to you both, Diane.
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 3 May, 2011 04:59 am
@Diane,
Glad to read your encouraging updates, Diane. Will be leaving for Europe, then the Middle East again, back in NY on the 15th. All good wishes to you both Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Tue 3 May, 2011 08:57 am
somewhat confused, the morphine doesn't seem to actually do very much so I googled it thinking I'm on a minimum dosage but I can't find any info as to dosage. what I have is
"morphine sulfate-oral solution-100 mg per 5 ml, take 0.25 mg every 12 hours up to 0.25 mg every 4 hours.'
CalamityJane

Tue 3 May, 2011 09:00 am
@dyslexia,
What? You wanted a psychedelic experience, dys?
dyslexia

Tue 3 May, 2011 09:14 am
@CalamityJane,
I really don't know what I expected but I don't notice much, if any, lessening of pain.
George

Tue 3 May, 2011 09:19 am
We were walking through Times Square last week (more like broken-field
running than walking) and saw the famous Naked Cowboy. I thought of
you, Dys.

It was not an especially appealling mental image.

Regards to Sister Diane from Brother George.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 3 May, 2011 09:38 am
@dyslexia,
Oy that's not good - you should be pain free with morphine. When the
hospice personnel arrives I'd mention it to them, you probably need a higher
dosage.
0 Replies