Your personal A2K experience. Tell us about it.

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 07:52 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I saw that Reyn.
You are a very good person to respond to my entreaties ... even if you if it was guilt which motivated you! Smile Razz

It's a shame that certain personalities spoil the experience on this site.

I do a lot of scrolling and thumbing down of threads these days.
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 07:55 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
It's a shame that certain personalities spoil the experience on this site.

i'm sorry Crying or Very sad
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:47 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
What has been your experience here? It doesn't matter when you joined.

I was a member of another online community but was disappointed at the level of the discussions. I stumbled across A2K during a Google search and thought it looked interesting. That was in August, 2003. I was immediately met with a surprising level of snottiness from a certain coterie of posters, who all assumed that I was some kind of troll or something. I later learned that it was nothing personal -- that sort of hazing of new members is pretty common around here, which is something that still bothers me. Anyway, the number of genuinely nice people around here exceeds the number of dicks, and I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting a number of A2Kers in person.

msolga wrote:
What have been your A2K high points, including threads you participated in. Are there any threads that you particularly valued? Post the link, remind us of it!

I start threads that evidently are of very little interest to most people. The only thread I've ever started that had over 500 responses was my "I want the US to lost the war in Iraq" thread. I have fond memories of other posters telling me that, while I might not be a traitor, I was acting traitorously. That's still a logical knot that I can't quite unravel. On the other hand, I think this thread remains my best contribution to the politics discussions.

msolga wrote:
What have you gained (or what have you regretted Wink ) from your participation here?

I've learned a lot from A2K -- some of it even useful. As I said before, I've met some really great people. As for the great people I haven't met yet, you're time will come.

The only thing I regret is that posters here continue to overuse the quote function.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:11 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The only thread I've ever started that had over 500 responses was my "I want the US to lost the war in Iraq" thread. I have fond memories of other posters telling me that, while I might not be a traitor, I was acting traitorously. That's still a logical knot that I can't quite unravel. ...

Ah, yes ... I remember that thread well. I believe I may have argued with every member of A2K on that thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:44 am
@djjd62,
Laughing

Just to set your mind at ease, you're NOT one of them.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:46 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I later learned that it was nothing personal -- that sort of hazing of new members is pretty common around here, which is something that still bothers me.

Now I feel either privileged or dissed. I was never hazed.

joefromchicago wrote:
I start threads that evidently are of very little interest to most people.

I can sympathize with that. I don't think I've ever posted a thread with 500 responses. I did get close to 200 with a gun post, but 150 of the responses were from David (jk). One of my most posted to threads was a chess game.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:54 am
I joined A2K in 2006 after being pressured by both Chai and Gustavratzenhofer.

This was my first post:
http://able2know.org/topic/83487-2#post-2284963
panzade

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:35 am
@Wally Tea,
Wow!What an entrance!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:46 am
@msolga,
It started in Paris as does everything.

Yeah that's a lie; but it was close at the truth, it started July 14, 2005 whch is Bastille Day, hence the Parisian connect.

An early post (was it my first?) that day reveals where I was. http://www.able2know.org/topic/55149-1#post-1454445 in a thread regarding the death of Ed McBain. We all get here somehow I suppose. Walter Hinteler had begun the thread a few days earlier which means I may have been searching for data regarding McBain.

Since then the planets have realigned, I've seen good and bad here, my health has been strapped into a broken seat on a roller coaster, people have left and many have died (which is leaving as well I guess).

There was different format in the pages then, and they were friendler in usage. I've adusted these pages to but they are still awkward in form. Had a sgnature back then as well which was quite telling (ain't good looking but I'm hard to kill...credit=Head Inspector; Dave Van Ronk)

Still a nice place usually and nice seeing certain people still here.

High point? I haven't any idea there are far too many pleasant spaces to select any in particular.

11,700+ entries, many in the games area. 8 topics begun.

Now where's my bowl of borscht and plate stacked high with brown bread that I was sure I'd get for posting here thread in this thread.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 12:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe, you rank among my favorite posters. I read much of what you post, but often don't have time or, more often, expertise to help the threads.
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 12:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
The only thing I regret is that posters here continue to overuse the quote function.

me too
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 12:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:

me too

Particularly when they quote people I am trying to avoid.
Ceili

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 12:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Then there are the ones that quote everything and never seem to address that which they've quoted in the first place. Makes for dreary reading...
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 12:41 pm
@Ceili,
Yep-a-rooty
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Joe, you rank among my favorite posters. I read much of what you post, but often don't have time or, more often, expertise to help the threads.

You're one of the good guys, edgar. Come out to Chicago and the local A2K contingent will be sure to show you a good time.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Quote:

me too

Yeah, that's getting out of hand.
Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Quote:

me too

Yeah, that's getting out of hand.

Does this nesting make any sense? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
Can't make it, Joe.
Ionus

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:50 pm
@Wally Tea,
You ought to be ashamed of yourself.....banging someone else's girlfriend. And to seek help on your first post.....then to criticise on your second post.... everyone knows you criticise on your first post, seek help on your second and never mention banging anyone else's girlfriend . There are exceptions of course, for inst...oh look....a possum !....hehehehehe....funny looking.......
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's a pity.
0 Replies