What have you learned from Able2Know?

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:44 pm
What have you learned from A2K? I'm not talking about touchy-feely "I've learned to respect different peoples and cultures" type of thing. I'm talking about solid factual information that you didn't know before.

For instance, I've learned:

About French rhyme schemes, grâce à Setanta;
Various new insights into German words and phrases from Walter, hamburger, und so weiter;
All about eighteenth- and nineteenth-century field artillery (very useful knowledge to have these days) in this thread.

In addition, after getting involved in several drug legalization threads, I've had to learn far more about marijuana than I've ever wanted to. And, as a result of my run-ins with the non-dualists (fresco, JLNobody and twyvel) I've read some books that I never would have read otherwise.

So, what have you learned?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,808 • Replies: 60
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:04 am
I learned just about everything there is to know about spyware through helping people get rid of it.

Hell there's too much to list. In every single argument I have had I have learned something, either from the other person ramming it into my head or from fact checking on my own positions.

I've learned all I know about programming through early trial and error in building A2K.

I've learned a godawful number of facts that I won't even try to list.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:23 am
Words to many songs, on Letty's radio station thread.

And to disregard your stipulation above, I have learned on various politics threads that contributors come in with preconceptions that they will defend to the point of absurdity and illogic rather than give any up.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:38 am
Many things about Mexico (thanks to fbaezer) and the US (thanks to Grand Duke's thread).

A little more about adult relationships, at least while on the internet.

Why I couldn't put a server on my other PC.

And most importantly: which way I look the best.

I keep coming here because of what I learn everyday, so there are countless other things I have learned.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:37 am
I'm beginning to get glimmerings of the extent of my ignorance.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
Not to argue with Craven.

Or tell him to ki -- never mind.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:58 am
What some people's pubic hair grooming habits are.

And for that, I'd really like to thank you all.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Even though I'm still an 'end user', I've learned a ton about computers, viruses, spyware, and simply how things work. I have learned a ton of history from Setanta's posts, lots about Buddhism from Asherman, JL and twyvel, the list goes on. I also learned that once in a while Slappy can be serious. I would like to say that I learned that toilet humour is funny, but I knew that already before I joined A2K. I've also learned to avoid the political threads, except for gungasnake's posts, which amuse me greatly.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:29 am
I've learned way too much to list - from all sortsa folks. What I don't seem to be able to learn is to use "Preview" and "Spellcheck" Embarrassed

Oh, yeah ... and wabbits is wicked evil.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:30 am
I learned today from gungasnake that Alexander Pushkin's great-grandfather was black (I know that's going to win me some bar wagers -- "hey buddy, whadaya wanna bet I can name at least one nineteenth-century Russian poet who was one-eighth black?").

Also, I learned on this thread about the wonder that is the smoked meat sandwich and the best delis in Montréal to get one. Thanks ehBeth!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:33 am
JoeFX wrote:

Is the unibrow gone?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:52 am
I could never list all the things I've learned here, so of course I won't. I will mention some things that come to mind though.

I've learned a sh!t load of stuff about my computer from Craven, Timber, Monger, and many others. I've also learned new recipes and cooking tips from Cav, JerryR, and others. I've learned that some men like to shave down below from Kicky. I've learned that you can have friends without ever even meeting them. I've learned that I'm better off staying far away from political and religious threads. Not that I always do, mind you. I've learned a lot of home improvment stuff.

There is just so much to learn here :-D
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
I've learned not to make wild guesses.

Learned how to do the color and big stuff courtesy of Roger

Learned that English is classified as low German from Walter.

Learned that the floss on the moss is a man.

Learned quite a bit about Manchester from McTag; Fresco; Sarah Morgan and others.

Learned about cockney from oldandknew

Learned about the art of arranging fruit and vegetables from Montana.

Learned a zillion things from Raggedyaggie.

Learned about the six counties in Northern Ireland still owned by the Queen.

Learned not to frequent the political category.

and on; and on; and on.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:06 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm beginning to get glimmerings of the extent of my ignorance.

Now, I was going to write something almost identical to this----^.

But Joe stated he only wanted "factual information" bla-bla-bla, what ever he said.

Another thought that came to mind is, how much I like the diversity of people that are on A2K. There are so many talented, intelligent, funny and witty individuals here, I absolutley love this site.

<bows to Craven, oops, I've fallen and I can't get UP!, oh scuse me>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:16 am
I've learned a shitload about American politics this past year - from the system's intricacies that now allow me to specify what exact adaptation of the electoral college system that works exactly how and was rejected last year in which state to details of Iowan geography and society. Not to mention of course all the intricacies about opinion polls.

Which was interesting enough, especially the Iowan bit.

I've also got to look a lot of things (back) up that I would otherwise not have (re)read or researched - from the differences in AIDS policy in different African countries to the origin and progress of the "Rose Revolution" in Georgia; from the exact stipulations of the International Criminal Court to those of the UN resolutions on Iraq; from the history of Urfa, Turkey to short stories I didn't know yet by Soviet Dadaist (of sorts) Daniil Kharms.

Plus, I downloaded some music that I otherwise wouldnt have discovered on some tips here.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
To name A FEW:

I learned that there are people you can disagree with in almost everything, but have great musical taste (Ticomaya).

I learned that Slovaks call Czechs "dumplings" (Dagmaraka).

I learned that there's a computer virus with a condom branch name (Bibliophile).

I learned almost everything I know about Iceland, including their tax system (thanks to Laeknir Scrat).

I learned that the Beach Boys were much much more than the great "Good Vibrations" (Panzade, and others).

I learned about what happens if two candidates get the same electoral votes (Joe from Chicago)

I learned how the Australian electoral system works (dlowan, wilso).

I learned a lot more about Ludlow (dyslexia and others), and the history of the working class in the USA (here I can add BBB).

Plus I get some NEWS here.
This was the first place I ever heard about the Fab 5 (lightwizard) or the "Yugoslavian" Big Brother (MyOwnUsername).
I hadn't read about Ibarretxe and the Basque quasi-independentist attempt until I found an unanswered thread (by Walter Hinteler).

I found a much-sought link about Struwwel Peter (Walter, again, or maybe Thomas).

I got to know a lot about Peru, by trying to make the Copa America thread a little more interesting.

Plus I got an unpaid aide, in the US election poll-thread. Thanks, nimh.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:27 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
JoeFX wrote:

Is the unibrow gone?

Can't touch this.

Great thread, by the way.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
I learned TINSTAAFL.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
I missed all these threads. Where are they? I want to learn that stuff too.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
...learned how to sex a goldfish! Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What have you learned from Able2Know?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:56:08