Your personal A2K experience. Tell us about it.

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
You can use your name "farmerman" on facebook
FB is allegedly cracking down on pseudonyms, or maybe just threatening to.

to be on the safe side, it's better to make an account called Farmer Man, because it has the appearance of a real name...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
Some of my dance friends have recently had their accounts pulled because of their semi-fake names.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:44 pm
I never liked FB much. I like it less now that it is of very little use to my restaurant unless I pay them. There is the whole business of them monetizing the data they collect from me, constantly changing the platform, that it revolves around popularity and easily becomes an echo chamber, that it is not good for talking about any ideas that require more than 200 words to outline.....It does not serve much purpose for me.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I am still there, so Calamity Jane is legit Smile
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 06:20 am
@CalamityJane,
sounds like the jury is still out on FB. So if they are "cracking down" on "handles" what do they replace that with?
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 06:32 am
FB is caught between a rock and a hard place. The subscribers are not the customers, they're product. The customers are the advertisers. If FB closes accounts because of alleged pseudonyms, they reduce the amount of product for sale to their customers--they reduce the number of people who will potentially see the advertising.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 10:13 am
@Setanta,
That's definitely true!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
I marvel every day that Penny's account is still hanging in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 10:48 am
@farmerman,
A couple of my friends were able to explain, to FB's satisfaction, why they were using those names and were able to retain them. Others modified their user names.

Another friend's real family name has Coyote as part of it. FB does not allow anyone in their family to use it. When I tried searching for names like Dave Coyote on FB, all kinds of interesting variants came up - but no Dave Coyote.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 11:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I never liked FB much.

it is not good for talking about any ideas that require more than 200 words to outline....

interesting

one of the things I like most is following discussions between people like Alias and Thomas, pdiddie, Lola and others. Dagmaraka continues to be an interesting poster as is nimh. I read more than I post in the political discussions - and continue to learn a lot through them. Robert's current life adventures make me smile pretty much every day. I marvel sometimes that some of us have known him online since he was a teenager.
panzade

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 01:00 pm
@ehBeth,
uh huh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 01:25 pm
I am on facebook daily, but I don't express myself as freely there, since I have a mix of relatives and online friends. I have lost a few pretty good (I thought) friends on facebook, because they cannot tolerate my posts. So I hold back on many things I would like to say there.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
I went on face-book to keep in touch with my "kids" as they are overseas as well as long lost family and watching my niece and nephews grow up as they live a fair distance away from me. Then came A2K, there Smile And I enjoy seeing their reality of life and being a part of it. I've befriended or visa versa a few from here that I "don't know" as in who the heck they are here and one in particular who answers me here I'm convinced is over there but I'm too embarrassed to ask him haha. True.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 06:36 pm
One nice thing about FB is that when Dashenka, or the Wabbit or someone else posts here, it's not immediately overwhelmed by trolls.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 06:48 pm
@Setanta,
here?

I haven't seen Dag's posts anywhere for a long time (miss her large).
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 07:04 pm
@ossobuco,
There? She posts on FB. Of course, a lot of it isn't in English.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes osso, dag and littlek are there too. You'd be busy for weeks just looking at their pictures they post from travels and surroundings.
0 Replies