Pierced out of work

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
BPB
BPB, oh my gwad. I hear clinking from all directions as A2Kers by the hundreds are having their toungues pierced, both front and back. I knew we shouldn't have divulged the real reason for tongue piercing. I shudder to think what the religious among us must sound like while sitting in their churches and temples, lisping as their balls clatter against their teeth.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:55 pm
Slappy
Slappy, you rubbing your head and patting your tummy may really turn me on, but kill the song or issue ear plugs. Razz

BBB
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:58 pm
BBB if I could clatter my balls against my teeth, I'd be out on tour for the big bucks on the college circuit, not to mention fairs and festivals. :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:00 pm
BBB if I could clatter my balls against my teeth, I'd be out on tour for the big bucks on the college circuit, not to mention fairs and festivals. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:07 pm
Bill's quote, "....a girl who on a whim died her short blonde hair ....." She killed her hair, heh? LOL
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:28 pm
Just thought I'd mention my girlfriend has a pierced tounge. Really sucks...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:18 pm
How can this be not considered discrimination? You can't discriminate against any different genders, orientations, skin colors.... those may not be self-inflicted, but you also can't discriminate against religion (or lack thereof).

Farmerman, what would you do if someone you worked for felt that a black person would be less than qualified to do a job simply because he was black?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:21 pm
Sorry, I flaked and responded to the first page of this thread without reading the rest. Still pertains I guess, but maybe my previous post will be more clear with this disclaimer.....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bill's quote, "....a girl who on a whim died her short blonde hair ....." She killed her hair, heh? LOL
Okay, I'm a lousy speller, LOL...But in fact: she did kill her hair... Between the bleaching and the dyeing it turned into straw, and all had to be removed when she decided to grow it out in her natural color again.

farmerman- As I've already pointed out; I maintain the same, if not more restrictive, standards for my employees, with less justification than you to boot. You will notice BPB ceased his attacks on me as soon as he understood my reaction to piercing is a gut-reaction rather than a feeling of superiority. He, himself, admitted to having similar reactions to certain piercing. There is a difference between finding an appearance unacceptable in an employee and suggesting that those who maintain this appearance are less of a person.

BPB, insisting on a particular look makes sense in other ways you may not have considered. In any company, where it is my money at risk, there are additional considerations beyond being qualified for the job. I expect every employee to understand that there is only one right way to do a thing and that's my way. I don't think I've ever met a sales person who didn't believe he could do my job better than I do. I choose not to spend my time listing to dozens of people's ideas, advice and suggestions on how a job should be done. I, no doubt, miss hearing a good idea now and then, but value my time more than that input. I expect my instructions to be followed to the letter, and obeyed without question, regardless of an individual's point of view. You have indicated that you enjoy the feeling of defiance, and/or the reaction to your deviation from the norm, and I respect you for personifying your beliefs. It is that very quality about you, however, that I have no room for in my management philosophy. I don't have a God complex; I simply believe that every one of my employees should be an extension of me. Those uncomfortable with this level of submissiveness are not well suited to work for me. In essence, at the end of the day, the guy signing the checks is always right. I'm quite sure no subordinate in your company has veto power over you, either. Although you and I place very different values on various attributes of a potential employee; we are both well within our right to do so.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:40 pm
littlek wrote:
How can this be not considered discrimination? You can't discriminate against any different genders, orientations, skin colors.... those may not be self-inflicted, but you also can't discriminate against religion (or lack thereof).

Farmerman, what would you do if someone you worked for felt that a black person would be less than qualified to do a job simply because he was black?
littlek, any person in charge of recruitment who says he doesn't discriminate is a liar. I discriminate against people who display defiance, stupidity, ignorance and a hundred other characteristics that don't fit the description of what I'm looking for. My instincts equate Mohawks, piercing, loud clothing, etc to be representative of defiance. This is not the same thing as saying I don't hire blacks, Protestants or women. Being discriminate doesn't necessarily equal violation of Discrimination Laws.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:43 pm
why is it not the same thing?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 03:46 pm
Not wanting to hire someone if their appearance doesn't fit is definitely not "discrimination." If your company has a sales force that sells to white collar execs, you hire someone who looks the part. At the same time, you don't hire a male to be a waiter at Hooters.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
OCCOM BILL- Agree. Each company has their own "culture", and personnel managers hire staff that fit in with that "culture". And that is how it needs to be.

In order to help a company thrive, the person who hires needs to understand the market that the firm wants to attract. By hiring staff that are complementary to that market, potential customers will identify, and feel comfortable with doing business with that firm.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 04:58 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Okay, I'm a lousy speller, LOL...But in fact: she did kill her hair... Between the bleaching and the dyeing it turned into straw, and all had to be removed when she decided to grow it out in her natural color again.

farmerman- As I've already pointed out; I maintain the same, if not more restrictive, standards for my employees, with less justification than you to boot. You will notice BPB ceased his attacks on me as soon as he understood my reaction to piercing is a gut-reaction rather than a feeling of superiority. He, himself, admitted to having similar reactions to certain piercing. There is a difference between finding an appearance unacceptable in an employee and suggesting that those who maintain this appearance are less of a person.

BPB, insisting on a particular look makes sense in other ways you may not have considered. In any company, where it is my money at risk, there are additional considerations beyond being qualified for the job. I expect every employee to understand that there is only one right way to do a thing and that's my way. I don't think I've ever met a sales person who didn't believe he could do my job better than I do. I choose not to spend my time listing to dozens of people's ideas, advice and suggestions on how a job should be done. I, no doubt, miss hearing a good idea now and then, but value my time more than that input. I expect my instructions to be followed to the letter, and obeyed without question, regardless of an individual's point of view. You have indicated that you enjoy the feeling of defiance, and/or the reaction to your deviation from the norm, and I respect you for personifying your beliefs. It is that very quality about you, however, that I have no room for in my management philosophy. I don't have a God complex; I simply believe that every one of my employees should be an extension of me. Those uncomfortable with this level of submissiveness are not well suited to work for me. In essence, at the end of the day, the guy signing the checks is always right. I'm quite sure no subordinate in your company has veto power over you, either. Although you and I place very different values on various attributes of a potential employee; we are both well within our right to do so.

Unbelievably arrogant. You'd have made a great slave owner. Good luck with your turnover. You're young yet and may learn that people have a nasty habit of not being Stepford employees, not the quality ones anyway, for any length of time. The guy signing the checks is NOT always right. He is however the guy signing the checks and can to an extent do as he pleases.

I wonder how appreciated and respected your employees would feel if they read this post? Not very I'm betting, and above everything, employees want to feel respected and as though what they think matters. Obviously this is not the case with you. I would say based on this post that you are a Tres Shitty employer. Sorry.

Let's take a poll. Post this as a new thread and see how many people on A2K, based on this two paragraph statement you've made would consider working for you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 05:04 pm
Bi-i never took a moral , or any other kind of high ground, you sir, just like to read selectively. you started by referring to anyone who imposes a no-piercing rule as McCarthys, then you followed up by a few expletives. i expect, from the outset and your tone that people will disagree with you. I disagree passionately and Ive given a number of reasons, all of which are based upon the level of credibility I expect from employees in their dealings with clients, or they deal with actuarial statistics wrt safety in the field.

Slappy started dropping the moron bombs on mE i didnt, to that point call anyone here names. so please keep the sequence of name calling accurate . He showed the initial disrespect that Idid not deserve. He had no point at all except to sling names. His name calling added nothing . If we were all in a bunch , following his diatribe, there would have been silence. Then we would have continued

littlek-i dont get your analogy at all, are you saying that pierced people have a moral right to be hired over non pierced people?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 05:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
Bi-i never took a moral , or any other kind of high ground, you sir, just like to read selectively. you started by referring to anyone who imposes a no-piercing rule as McCarthys, then you followed up by a few expletives. i expect, from the outset and your tone that people will disagree with you. I disagree passionately and i've given a number of reasons, all of which are based upon the level of credibility I expect from employees in their dealings with clients, or they deal with actuarial statistics wrt safety in the field.

I expect many will disagree with me as well, but sans the second hand cd store, clueless about the professional world, somebody has to be a grown up remarks which obviously put you, in your mind anyway , on a higher level. Anyone not sharing my view is a second class citizen is the message you're sending out, whether you mean to or not, but I expect that's what you mean. It's pretty plain what you're inferring, and quite frankly I could care less, but I'm going to call you or anyone else on it anytime I see it.

As for my remarks about the Eisenhower/McCarthy years, I grew up in them, and saw first hand the "only cookie cutter,Pleasant Valley Sunday types" welcome here national dynamic of the time in full bloom. It's undeniable.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 05:23 pm
farmerman said.......
Slappy started dropping the moron bombs on mE i didnt, to that point call anyone here names. so please keep the sequence of name calling accurate . He showed the initial disrespect that Idid not deserve. He had no point at all except to sling names. His name calling added nothing . If we were all in a bunch , following his diatribe, there would have been silence. Then we would have continued

farmerman old boy by the time slappy chimed in you had already called me clueless, indicated that I wasn't a grown up and disrespected me utterly. It's right here in black and white on the screen. Too late to backpedal now. If you're going to be disrespectful to others someone may be disrespectful to you. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Kindergarten rules bud.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 06:03 pm
Occom Bill Said:
Quote:
I don't have a God complex; I simply believe that every one of my employees should be an extension of me. Those uncomfortable with this level of submissiveness are not well suited to work for me.

Bill- I would never work for you. IMO, although at the end of the day, the boss is the BOSS, a little more collegiality and respect for your staff WOULD ultimately reap benefits for your company.

Bi-Polar said
-
Quote:
Unbelievably arrogant. You'd have made a great slave owner. Good luck with your turnover. You're young yet and may learn that people have a nasty habit of not being Stepford employees, not the quality ones anyway, for any length of time

Bill's employees are not slaves. If his management style does not suit them, they are always free to find other work. I do agree that independent thinkers would not do well in the atmosphere that Bill describes, but some people do better with a lot of structure and direction. We also do not know the nature of Bill's business, so making suppositions would not be very valuable.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 06:24 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Occom Bill Said:
Quote:
I don't have a God complex; I simply believe that every one of my employees should be an extension of me. Those uncomfortable with this level of submissiveness are not well suited to work for me.

Bill- I would never work for you. IMO, although at the end of the day, the boss is the BOSS, a little more collegiality and respect for your staff WOULD ultimately reap benefits for your company.

Bi-Polar said
-
Quote:
Unbelievably arrogant. You'd have made a great slave owner. Good luck with your turnover. You're young yet and may learn that people have a nasty habit of not being Stepford employees, not the quality ones anyway, for any length of time

Bill's employees are not slaves. If his management style does not suit them, they are always free to find other work. I do agree that independent thinkers would not do well in the atmosphere that Bill describes, but some people do better with a lot of structure and direction. We also do not know the nature of Bill's business, so making suppositions would not be very valuable.

No they're not phoenix, but he certainly comes on like someone who treats them that way.

You said you'd never work for him based on his post phoenix but if you don't know his business how can you make that supposition? :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 06:25 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Occom Bill Said:
Quote:

Bi-Polar said
-
Quote:

No they're not phoenix, but he certainly comes on like someone who treats them that way.

You said you'd never work for him based on his post phoenix but if you don't know his business how can you make that supposition? :wink:
0 Replies