Pierced out of work

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:03 pm
Bi- Aw........((((((((HUG)))))))
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:20 pm
run your company as you please farmerman but lose the goth android insults why don't you, not to mention the insinuation the pierced people can only work in the second hand retail sector. That's a remark that radiates so much ignorance I find it hard to believe it came from you.

that would be like me walking into your company and saying you all look like fraternity pukes. unecessary generalizations you know.

there are plenty of bright hard working sucessful people that are pierced visibly and not just in the entertainment sector.

Those who can't abide anything but miltary precision and uniformity in their appearance and the appearance of their employees could easily be called the constipated uptight sector. Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:40 pm
Interesting thread on what normally is a very liberal (ie tolerant) site.

A throwaway story: when I got home from VN I went back to work for the CPA firm I had been with in Atlanta. I let my hair grow and grow. Long and
blond (I looked for the word rivolets in the dictionary but couldn't find it). Eventually my boss, a good man, with a great deal of hemming and hawing, said my hair was not appropriate. I went home and had my girl friend cut much of it off.

Farmerman, like my then boss, signs the paychecks
and has the right to impose standards.

I would agree with Dys though, that the Orlando Gov't Office is wrong. If the general population has, say 25% of the customers with multiple piercings, what's wrong with 25% of the clerks looking like that? I'll leave cross-dressing etc up to Bi-Polar. As for "Goth androids..."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:43 pm
gosh realjohnboy I'm not a crossdresser but if you enjoy thinking so bon appetit.

farmerman as a private employer (I assume) has the right to impose rules and dress codes, but I wouldn't call that setting a standard, I'd call it using my authority to force people to look the way I want them to, because for some reason just getting a good days work for a good days pay doesn't satisfy me, but aparently dress like I say or you don't work does on some level. Farmerman is not unique in this respect.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
Sorry Bi, my company rules are the same as farmerman's. I also require reasonable hair styles, appropriate business attire and manicured nails for any employee that deals with the public. I subscribe to the old school of thinking: If you look professional, you're more likely to feel professional and consequently you're more likely to act professional. (Go ahead and put me on the "rack" next to Abercrombie & Fitch).
I hope this doesn't offend you, but personally, looking at that type of mutilation turns my stomach. The neck stretching custom of the Padaung, has the same effect on me. I've barely been able to get used to girls piercing their belly buttons. I don't much care what people do on their own time, and I try not to judge people based on their appearance outside of business, but I won't intentionally set my self up to be grossed out on a daily basis either.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:01 pm
Hey Al you think you're gonna build bombs for me, you better get that hair cut.
http://www.marcspiegel.com/images/einstein.gif
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:01 pm
That's okay OCCOMBILL you're a product of your raisings.

What is appropriate business attire? I have a closet full of suits, business shirts and ties, a couple pairs of Florsheim shoes. When I am making a call on a potential customer that's what I wear. I also have multiple piercings, long hair and one visible tattoo.

So am I a deviant trying to dress like professional or a professional with a couple of deviant faux pas in my appearance.

At the end of the day, if one has the ability to look at people and not their uniforms it doesn't really matter. Some people are burdened with an incredibly small comfort zone. It's a shame, but it will always be so, just as though there will always be those of us who have what it takes to make out okay without having to bow and scrape to useless ideas of appropriateness in dress and appearance.

btw to slip in a comparison of a pierced individual to a neck stretcher from some "primitive" tribe and throw in the manicured nails thing is petty and smug, but that is also your privilege.

I could easily judge you by your avatar picture, because quite frankly you look like a hungover frat boy who just slept in his clothes after a mixer with the Chi Omegas, and I find that pretty gross and disgusting, but if you applied for a job with my company I'd put you to work based on your ability to do the job, period.

but let's don't fight about it. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
Ain't tolerance grand!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:11 pm
I, for one, hope that youth will again revolt and again demoralize the dead weight of conformity that now lies upon us. But I will turn 60 next year and probably get as tight-assed as most 40 yr olds I run into these days. (I will blame that on senility)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:16 pm
It'll happen soon dyslexia....I predict shortly after the draft is reinstated......for myself I will soon be 55 and it's too late to change now....I was one of the first five people to grow their hair in 1965 in Lynchburg Va. home of Jerry Falwell. I see and feel the mood of those days today. My feelings now are as they were then...joke 'em if they can't take a f**k. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:21 pm
When I grew my first beard in the 60s I felt threatened daily by hostiles. At one point I lost my nerve in a Texas town; I shaved it off.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
There's no fight Bi: Everything you said was either true or an opinion you're well with in your rights to have. At thirty five, I'd be hard pressed to be insulted by a suggestion I look like a drunken frat boy... Bring on the Chi Omegas! :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
ALMOST CUT MY HAIR
David Crosby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It was getting kind of long
I could have said it was in my way

But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
And I feel like I owe it to someone

Must be because I had the flu for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like looking into a mirror and seeing a police car

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
Cos I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone

When I finally get myself together
I'm gonna get down in some of that sweet summer weather
I'm going to find a space inside to laugh
Separate the wheat from the chaff

Cos I feel like I owe it, yeah
Said I feel like I owe it, yeah
You know I feel---- like I owe it yeah to someone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:30 pm
In that same part of Texas the rednecks are now as scruffy as I was.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:31 pm
may the circle be unbroken.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:40 pm
interesting for me to note that the peeps on A2k that I the most respect for, I also have no idea about such things as their piercings, length of hair, tattoos, obesity, age, car they drive, house they live in or other meanlingless drival. I seem to zone in on their humanity, compassion and integrity. (their sense of humour included)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
very interesting comment and observation there dys. Also very sad that it is a real statement about our general maturity level as human beings.

In the end, we're still on the playground breaking up into cliques. That is one thing the internet does for us, it removes the suerficial.

I wonder if we all got together in a room and could all finally see one another if we would tend to congegrate in person with those we relate to here, or those who were on our approved appearance list?

I also wonder if that dynamic would change through the evening as people dranks smoked and whatever and loosened up a bit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:47 pm
What if we were all stalkers, 'n' killers? Hee hee.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:48 pm
now that would be a helluva party.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:54 pm
This thread, which i posted just out of curiosity, has sparked a number of thoughts. Just now I am thinking about what others on a2k would think re my posts if my avatar was not a pic of the real me. How many judgements are made of my posts not by what I say but what I honestly look like. Its a poser for sure. Any one care to be honest about this?
0 Replies