House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:44 pm
@failures art,
failures art I allways value your view points as you seem to be way ahead of most of us! You are well educated, however you became that way is only known by you, but none the less I have never seen where you replied without a well thought out idea!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:14 pm
@failures art,
How appropriate of you.
You use 22 seconds of a video, without context, to try and make your point.
Isnt that what you condemn the right for?

Now I am no fan of Glen Beck, but here is the ENTIRE video you used 22 seconds of, IN CONTEXT.
Notice he is saying something entirely different then what you want to get everyone to think he is saying...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-glenn-beck-really-tell-his-audience-to-shoot-people-in-the-head/
okie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:43 pm
@mysteryman,
And how is Becks analogy any different or worse than the president himself suggesting if the Democrats opposition "bring a knife," they should "bring a gun?"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:24 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
It just came over the news that some guy was being very non-pc and wrote a column/blog where he stated that the congresswoman shooting was only a beginning as there was 532 or so to go and as a result got raided by the police with his firearms seized.

With the added comment that killings others is wrong when going after a politician.

All in very bad taste and sickening but somehow I question if the police was of the opinion that he was about to go on a killing spree so short of that they have zero rights to raid his home and seized his legal firearms.

I hope they get their asses sue off.
Did thay have a search warrant ?
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It did no say and I got the impression right or wrong that you need a damn license of some kind in that state to keep arms and they suspend that license and then seize the weapons.

The pictures showed some high power rifles with one the might be a 50 cal sniper rifle.

Here is one link to the story.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/01/mass-comic-book-dealer-/1

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I came across this Dave in reading Frank Harris's biography of George Bernard Shaw--

Quote:
When Ibsen's plays first invaded London, Shaw proposed to give some publicity to the movement by interviewing an American actress who was with the company. To his astonishment she replied, if he wrote a word about her she would shoot him.

"You may not believe here in England that such things are possible," she said, " but in America we think differently, and I will do it. I have the pistol ready."

If words be but inchoate bullets, as they needs must in A2K intercourse, the response I often get on certain threads is wholly in keeping with the lady's reaction and the thought, if not the deed, are still alive and well in American discourse.

It isn't really a question of being a traditional true American however laudable that might seem to some. To many even. It is a question of whether such a concept is valid in 2011 and has economic utility.

You need to prove it has that validity and utility because if it hasn't it's subversive. Which is unAmerican. And I mean validity and utility to the general weal rather than any interest group or individual attitude. And in the present circumstances and those of the near future.

If a congresswoman had been shot like this at the time Shaw was chatting the actress up she would probably have died and the shooter lynched. (If I may be allowed to exaggerate a little to make the point). Total cost of clean up and disposals maybe £1000 and a footnote in the history books.

Now an industry has arisen around such events. And what economic benefit does it bring? On the bottom line I mean. We have seen a very great deal of expensive facilities and there are a lot more to come.

I gather you were part of that industry. And what industry would not encourage activities which got it into high demand mode? The bloggers comments have been given a greater public airing by the publicity they generate than was given on the blog. Which translated into plain English means they have been given a chance to resonate in more minds than would have been the case with the original.

How traditional are you when push comes to shove?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
After 'flawless' transfer to Texas, Giffords faces arduous work

Quote:
Giffords will remain in intensive care until doctors are sure that they have relieved fluid in her brain that caused swelling several days ago. That swelling led doctors, shortly after she was hospitalized in Tucson, to remove a portion of her skull to ease the cranial pressure. They said they will replace that piece of skull once they see no more threat of swelling - a process that could take several weeks.
ad_icon

Even so, doctors stressed that they expected her to begin physical therapy Friday afternoon. Eventually, she will be transferred to the nearby TIRR Memorial Hermann rehabilitation center, where a treatment plan is being discussed.

Quote:
Giffords (D-Ariz.) was shot above the left eye during the Jan. 8 shooting rampage in Tucson that killed six and injured 13. Kim said the congresswoman has good movement on the left side of her body and "good tone in her leg, which is a precursor to a more full recovery." Her right leg, however, is in worse condition and might not be able to support her body weight, he said. Her arms also have less movement.

Overall, Giffords "has great rehab potential. She will keep us busy and we will keep her busy," said Gerard Francisco, the rehabilitation center's chief medical officer.

Quote:
In addition to physical therapy, staff members will help Giffords with speech and language, her cognitive ability and the skills needed to perform daily activities such as brushing her teeth and getting dressed, Francisco said.

The facility has a special kitchen and a washer and dryer - spaces and equipment where patients can practice basic household chores that help assess their readiness to reenter ordinary life.

Francisco acknowledged that there is no guarantee that Giffords, or any patient who has suffered a severe brain injury, will return to full health.

"It's a function of what part of brain is damaged and the extent of the injury," he said. "Some with brain injury like this lose the ability to speak, lose the ability to understand. Their personality changes, they have problems with memory. It changes how they relate to people."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:12 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I came across this Dave in reading Frank Harris's biography of George Bernard Shaw--
Quote:
When Ibsen's plays first invaded London, Shaw proposed to give some publicity to the movement by interviewing an American actress who was with the company. [What year??]
To his astonishment she replied, if he wrote a word about her she would shoot him.

"You may not believe here in England that such things are possible," she said, " but in America we think differently, and I will do it. I have the pistol ready."

spendius wrote:
If words be but inchoate bullets,
Thay r devoid of biological effect.

spendius wrote:
as they needs must in A2K intercourse,
the response I often get on certain threads is
wholly in keeping with the lady's reaction and the thought,
if not the deed, are still alive and well in American discourse.
I chanced to glimpse an entertainment news item,
wherein it was attributed to a youthful actress
(of whose name, I am not sure) that backstage at
the Golden Globes Awards a few days ago,
she threatened the life of a miscreant English
Master of Ceremonies, if he spoke ill of her in public.
It is alleged that she subsequently asserted that she
and her husband woud beat him up in the parking lot,
if he did. That purportedly had the desired effect.

spendius wrote:
It isn't really a question of being a traditional true American however laudable that might seem to some. To many even. It is a question of whether such a concept is valid in 2011 and has economic utility.
See my last response.

spendius wrote:
You need to prove it has that validity and utility
because if it hasn't it's subversive.
I doubt that (daout that).

spendius wrote:
Which is unAmerican. And I mean validity and utility to the general weal rather than any interest group or individual attitude.
I don 't think so.

spendius wrote:
And in the present circumstances and those of the near future.

If a congresswoman had been shot like this at the
time Shaw was chatting the actress
What time was that ?

spendius wrote:
up she would probably have died and the shooter lynched.
In England ?

spendius wrote:
(If I may be allowed to exaggerate a little to make the point).
OK

spendius wrote:
Total cost of clean up and disposals maybe £1000 and a footnote in the history books.
U think ?

spendius wrote:
Now an industry has arisen around such events.
And what economic benefit does it bring?
On the bottom line I mean. We have seen a very
great deal of expensive facilities and there are
a lot more to come.
Sells newspapers ?

spendius wrote:
I gather you were part of that industry.
And what industry would not encourage activities
which got it into high demand mode? The bloggers
comments have been given a greater public airing
by the publicity they generate than was given on the blog.
Which translated into plain English means they
have been given a chance to resonate in more
minds than would have been the case with the original.

How traditional are you when push comes to shove?
I can be eclectic qua my chosen traditions.

David
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

You've missed the point Dave.

Are you saying that Ricky Gervais has no guts and was cowed into inhibiting his free speech by a "youthful actress"?

Quote:
What time was that ?

Around 1900. Maybe a bit later.

Quote:
In England ?

Try not to be obtuse Dave. You know what I mean. I requested poetic licence.

Quote:
Sells newspapers ?

They are not the half of it.

But I don't know why you bother when all your post really says is that you have no answer to the points I raised.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:57 am
@spendius,
Quote:

spendius wrote:
You've missed the point Dave.

Are you saying that Ricky Gervais has no guts and was cowed into inhibiting his free speech by a "youthful actress"?
So it was reported.

Quote:
What time was that ?

Around 1900. Maybe a bit later.

Quote:
In England ?

Try not to be obtuse Dave. You know what I mean. I requested poetic licence.

Quote:
Sells newspapers ?

spendius wrote:
They are not the half of it.

But I don't know why you bother when all your post really says is that you have no answer to the points I raised.
I considered disregarding your post,
but I wondered about the year.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I considered disregarding your post.

It's the best thing to do actually Dave rather than exposing the fact that you had no answers to the points.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:39 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
I considered disregarding your post.

It's the best thing to do actually Dave rather than exposing the fact
that you had no answers to the points.
That bothers me not,
but I wanted to know the year; maybe u forgot that.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:37 pm
This stew is a little flat, so I will add some salt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-vf7bCybQ
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 02:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What do you want to know the year for Dave? Is it just to give you something to say. Everybody knows the period it was in who has an interest in the matter. The source is a collection of stories about Shaw by Frank Harris and he gives no precise date. It's one reminisence in a collection of them.

Be in the 1890s I guess.

pom--I knew a lady who talked like that. She lived alone the bitter ex of a pal of mine (geddit?). The song is dire. Put salt in your own dishes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:58 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What do you want to know the year for Dave? Is it just to give you something to say. Everybody knows the period it was in who has an interest in the matter. The source is a collection of stories about Shaw by Frank Harris and he gives no precise date. It's one reminisence in a collection of them.

Be in the 1890s I guess.
I was curious qua the legal environment of possession of the pistol in your quote.
Until around 1920, England was still a free country.

My grandfather emigrated from a place called: "Devon Shire" in the 1800s.

David
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

It just came over the news that some guy was being very non-pc and wrote a column/blog where he stated that the congresswoman shooting was only a beginning as there was 532 or so to go and as a result got raided by the police with his firearms seized.

With the added comment that killings others is wrong when going after a politician.

All in very bad taste and sickening but somehow I question if the police was of the opinion that he was about to go on a killing spree so short of that they have zero rights to raid his home and seized his legal firearms.

I hope they get their asses sue off.

If some one seems to have the desire and the ability to assasinate people in the government you can expect people in government to pay attention, and others can sue them; but it will go no where...I do not think we need less representatives but more, and many more... If we had what the constitution seemed to provide for we might have as many as 7K... Clearly, if every district that now sends one were to send two, each having the proportion of their party's vote, and each able to speak on every issue it is likely government would be better... What would be best is for small numbers to send a single rep with overwhelming support, no party ties, and a mandate to only act for the benefit of his own district, not to horse trade, and not to vote on any issue not directly concerning his own district.... It would not be better than direct democracy... All the people should have the vote; but now those who have no new ideas, who demonstrate little kindness or understanding can control government with obstruction... They are like the storm troopers who spawned violence in order to justify taking government...
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:16 pm
@Fido,
That's a bit fanciful Fido. I can't see an assembly of 7000 ever passing anything except higher salaries for themselves.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:17 pm
@spendius,
Laughs, nodding.

I've read Canticle for Liebowitz but am presently forgetting all about it. Will have to look it up.

I'm usually more interested in David Lebovitz - http://www.davidlebovitz.com/ - but not always. Sometimes I read about Fran and alternately rail at and sympathize with her (and that's as close as I get to Sontag, who was/is indecipherable to me). On Fran - http://cityfile.com/profiles/fran-lebowitz

I see these folks are/were all gay. Now I'll have to find more Liebowitzes to link for balance.

Ok, back to Giffords. There is a pleasant article here -
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iCagxhiUr8GzsfG9y4jEtiAGtNRQ?docId=46b3d001521448d090072b643010ec0b

I was glad to read the damage seemed minimal (given the assault to the brain), even though they are careful to say things aren't all rosy.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:24 pm
@spendius,
Who was the actress? that's interesting. My ex wrote a screenplay about Fanny Butler.. who lived in an earlier time if I remember.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know. Harris gives no other details. He was just out to prove that Shaw was not as manly as himself. As Shaw was him.

Shaw began one letter to him ""You are a daisy". It's an interesting dispute.
0 Replies