House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I
Quote:
don't disagree with your assessment, but it's important for the city to protect everyone - not just people who own houses.

I think the city would argue that there is food available through city resources and food banks for those who need it. You'd have to be able to show that this was somehow inadequate - not just inconvenient - to be able to prove that the city was somehow neglecting its' duty.

Somehow protecting people from getting food to eat when hungry under the theory that there a small chance of a bad outcome is an odd way of helping hungry people.

Now my judgment is that food poisoning is such a tiny risk that I would have zero problem myself eating such foods and somehow I question you can tell me that you would have any concerns about eating such foods either for yourself.

Having seems local governments in my area using such means as a tool of forcing homeless people out of downtown Miami and others areas , I question it the city fathers are being at all honest over their stated concerns.

To me their actions on their face is unethical and the law should be challenge by feeding the homeless as similar laws was indeed challenge successfully in the South Florida area.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
WE have a free country; u don't.

No? We can stand still to protest and picket.
You have to march up & down.

Ain't no damn policeman going to tell us to march up & down.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:01 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

No? We can stand still to protest and picket.
You have to march up & down.

Ain't no damn policeman going to tell us to march up & down.

Question
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And he was referring to acts of civil disobedience as a means of protesting unjust laws--he never advocated acts of violence
Are you under the impression that MLK would have viewed Fox News as a promoter of violence? I dont see it. As I understood him he approved of resolving differences and addressing injustice through political struggle....it was only after the political system failed to work that civil disobedience was called for.

Quote:
Does every topic have to be about you?
Of course, as I can only speak for myself. I don't suffer from your character flaw of needing to decide for others what they should do, think and say.
okie

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Are you under the impression that MLK would have viewed Fox News as a promoter of violence? I dont see it.
Facts agree with you, hawkeye. There is evidence that MLK was a Republican. For other historical facts regarding black history, here is a page from the National Black Republicans Association website, which lists some questions as part of a history lesson, such as the following:

http://www.nbra.info/DYK-HistoryTest

"13. What was the Party of President Lyndon Johnson, who called Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “that [N-word] preacher” because he opposed the Viet Nam War; and President John F. Kennedy who voted against the 1957 Civil Rights law as a Senator, then as president opposed the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after becoming president and the FBI investigate Dr. King on suspicion of being a communist?
[ ] a. Republican Party
[ ] b. Democratic Party"

Correct answer for this question is "b."
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:57 pm
@okie,
MLK was the guy, Okie, who told us that the USA was, and nothing has really changed, "the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today".

Being the honest guy that you are, we know that MLK is the kind of guy that you can embrace, his ideas too are things that you embrace and believe in. He knew that "the U.S. was "on the wrong side of a world revolution." King questioned "our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America," and asked why the U.S. was suppressing revolutions "of the shirtless and barefoot people" in the Third World, instead of supporting them".

MLK was shunned by the US "liberal" new media after he started to point out the serious deficiencies in the US political system.

Quote:
The Martin Luther King You Don't See on TV

Media Beat (1/4/95)

By Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon

It's become a TV ritual: Every year in mid-January, around the time of Martin Luther King's birthday, we get perfunctory network news reports about "the slain civil rights leader."

The remarkable thing about this annual review of King's life is that several years — his last years — are totally missing, as if flushed down a memory hole.

What TV viewers see is a closed loop of familiar file footage: King battling desegregation in Birmingham (1963); reciting his dream of racial harmony at the rally in Washington (1963); marching for voting rights in Selma, Alabama (1965); and finally, lying dead on the motel balcony in Memphis (1968).

An alert viewer might notice that the chronology jumps from 1965 to 1968. Yet King didn't take a sabbatical near the end of his life. In fact, he was speaking and organizing as diligently as ever.

Almost all of those speeches were filmed or taped. But they're not shown today on TV.

Why?

It's because national news media have never come to terms with what Martin Luther King Jr. stood for during his final years.

In the early 1960s, when King focused his challenge on legalized racial discrimination in the South, most major media were his allies. Network TV and national publications graphically showed the police dogs and bullwhips and cattle prods used against Southern blacks who sought the right to vote or to eat at a public lunch counter.

But after passage of civil rights acts in 1964 and 1965, King began challenging the nation's fundamental priorities. He maintained that civil rights laws were empty without "human rights" — including economic rights. For people too poor to eat at a restaurant or afford a decent home, King said, anti-discrimination laws were hollow.

Noting that a majority of Americans below the poverty line were white, King developed a class perspective. He decried the huge income gaps between rich and poor, and called for "radical changes in the structure of our society" to redistribute wealth and power.

"True compassion," King declared, "is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring."

By 1967, King had also become the country's most prominent opponent of the Vietnam War, and a staunch critic of overall U.S. foreign policy, which he deemed militaristic. In his "Beyond Vietnam" speech delivered at New York's Riverside Church on April 4, 1967 — a year to the day before he was murdered — King called the United States "the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today."

From Vietnam to South Africa to Latin America, King said, the U.S. was "on the wrong side of a world revolution." King questioned "our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America," and asked why the U.S. was suppressing revolutions "of the shirtless and barefoot people" in the Third World, instead of supporting them.

In foreign policy, King also offered an economic critique, complaining about "capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries."

You haven't heard the "Beyond Vietnam" speech on network news retrospectives, but national media heard it loud and clear back in 1967 — and loudly denounced it. Life magazine called it "demagogic slander that sounded like a script for Radio Hanoi." The Washington Post patronized that "King has diminished his usefulness to his cause, his country, his people."

In his last months, King was organizing the most militant project of his life: the Poor People's Campaign. He crisscrossed the country to assemble "a multiracial army of the poor" that would descend on Washington — engaging in nonviolent civil disobedience at the Capitol, if need be — until Congress enacted a poor people's bill of rights. Reader's Digest warned of an "insurrection."

King's economic bill of rights called for massive government jobs programs to rebuild America's cities. He saw a crying need to confront a Congress that had demonstrated its "hostility to the poor" — appropriating "military funds with alacrity and generosity," but providing "poverty funds with miserliness."

How familiar that sounds today, more than a quarter-century after King's efforts on behalf of the poor people's mobilization were cut short by an assassin's bullet.

As 1995 gets underway, in this nation of immense wealth, the White House and Congress continue to accept the perpetuation of poverty. And so do most mass media. Perhaps it's no surprise that they tell us little about the last years of Martin Luther King's life.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2269

Now
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:08 pm
I haven't seen this discussed openly, but it's needling in the back of my brain....

Prior to his wife being shot, husband Mark Kelly was in training for the last shuttle mission. Of course he immediately flew to Tuscon to be at her side. Of course her recovery is forefront in his and everyone's mind. She isn't able to speak or otherwise communicate directly. She doesn't know that 6 people died that day. She's making a "miraculous" recovery. The clock is ticking on whether Kelly needs to be replaced on his mission.

The dream of his lifetime. The woman of his dreams. Maybe he has no dilemma, but I have one on his behalf. Part of me wants him on that mission. Part of me thinks Gabby would want him on that mission. All of me thinks this all just sucks.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:20 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
International Space Station commander Scott Kelly said his twin brother Mark Kelly will likely decide within a few weeks whether to continue as the commander of shuttle Endeavour's final flight
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110119/NEWS02/110118027/1006/news01/Mark+Kelly+to+decide+in+few+weeks+on+shuttle+command

this should have been decided days ago, and the choice is obvious........he needs to be pulled. To put a guy who has been through this much trauma this near launch and is missing this much training time in command of a shuttle is gross irresponsibility. THis goes to show why NASA gets so little accomplished, it is not only the lack of funding, it is the lack of leadership as well.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Constant danger from lunatics is not freedom.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Twin brother, ... ?? wasn't there a movie where thereal guy died and twin brother was paralysed but they still made it work. I'm sure that they could make it work for this pair. Hollywood can do anything!
plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:06 pm
@firefly,
palins revolution means high heels and pregnant daughters for all.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Wrong, because the speaker of word is never responsible for the actions of others,

Where did you get that piece of lala from?

If you tell a person how to kill himself and he commits suicide in that manner, you can be tried for his murder.
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:43 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
If you tell a person how to kill himself and he commits suicide in that manner, you can be tried for his murder.

WRONG!!!!!

Or at least one hundred percents wrong under all US laws codes.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:15 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:

Here is a famous book with a few hundred pages of how to instructions that you can buy a copy of on Amazon for ten dollars as of this morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Final ExitFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Final Exit
200px
Book cover of the 3rd edition
Author Derek Humphry
Country United States of America
Language English
Publisher Dell
Publication date August 1, 1992
Media type Print
Pages 213
ISBN 0440504880
Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying is a controversial 1992 book by Derek Humphry, founder of the Hemlock Society in California and past president of the World Federation of Right to Die Societies.

A newspaper journalist and author who helped his wife, Jean, end her life with an intentional overdose of medication after a long and painful decline from terminal cancer, Humphry wrote the book as a how-to guide for terminally ill people who wish to end their lives. The controversy arose not only from the intense debate over whether one should have a right to end one's own life, and whether anyone, especially medical professionals, can ethically assist self-chosen euthanasia, but also because the information in the book can be used by anyone, not just the terminally ill.

The book covers many aspects of planning and carrying out "self-deliverance", from the decision of whether and when one is ready to die, to the careful protection of anyone assisting one's preparations, to the legal and financial preparations for those one leaves behind. But the bulk of the work consists of the advantages and disadvantages and the processes for a variety of suicide methods.

In 2000, a Supplement to Final Exit was published with a new chapter on a method using helium gas as an alternative not requiring controlled prescription drugs. In 2001, marking the book's 10th anniversary, this information was included in the revised 3rd edition of the book. In 2005, an electronic addendum to the 3rd edition was released, offering refinements to the helium bag technique. The addendum was updated May 2009.

Contents [hide]
1 Success of the book
2 References in pop culture
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Success of the bookIn 1991, the first edition was the number one bestselling nonfiction book in America for 18 weeks and has sold over a million copies. In 2011 it was in an updated edition from Dell, New York, and is regarded as the best handbook on hastening death when a person is terminal or hopelessly ill.[citation needed]

Final Exit has been translated into 12 languages, and is banned by law only in France. In 2011, it remained in print in English, Spanish and Italian.

In April 2007, the editors and book critics of the American national newspaper USA TODAY selected Final Exit as one of the 25 most memorable books of the last quarter century.

Humphry subsequently put the information in this book onto a VHS video (2000) and a DVD (2006), both available through ERGO.

[edit] References in pop cultureIndustrial heavy metal band Fear Factory uses quotes from Humphry's video in the last track of the album Mechanize, "Final Exit".[citation needed]
In a Christmas episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 Dr. Forrester give TV's Frank a copy of the book as a gift after he reveals that he stole Frank's blood to pay for it.
In an episode of Married With Children Al Bundy can be seen reading this book while in bed.[citation needed]
[edit] See alsoThe Complete Manual of Suicide by Wataru Tsurumi
The Peaceful Pill Handbook by Philip Nitschke
Suicide
Suicide methods
Euthanasia device
[edit] ReferencesHumphry, Derek (1991). Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying. ISBN 0-9606030-3-4.
Humphry, Derek (2000). Supplement to Final Exit. ISBN 978-0963728036
Humphry, Derek (2002). Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying, 3rd edition. ISBN 0-385-33653-5. Delta Trade Paperback. Revised and updated.
Humphry, Derek (2002). Let Me Die Before I Wake & Supplement to Final Exit. ISBN 978-1401102869
Humphry, Derek (2008) "Good Life, Good Death: Memoir of an investigative reporter and pro-choice advocate. Hardcopy and eBook. ISBN 978-0-9768283-3-4
Fear Factory (2010). The song "Final Exit" off of Mechanize.
[edit] External linksOfficial website
AssistedSuicide website
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Exit"
Categories: 1992 books | Suicide | Suicide methods | Self-help books | Euthanasia
Hidden categories: Wikipedia articles with possible conflicts of interest from January 2011 | All articles with unsourced statements | Articles with unsourced statements from May 2009 | Articles with unsourced statements from August 2010
Personal toolsLog in / create account NamespacesArticle Discussion VariantsViewsRead Edit View history ActionsSearch NavigationMain page Contents Featured content Current events Random article Donate to Wikipedia InteractionHelp About Wikipedia Community portal Recent changes Contact Wikipedia ToolboxWhat links here Related changes Upload file Special pages Permanent link Cite this page Print/exportCreate a bookDownload as PDFPrintable versionLanguages日本語 Português Русский This page was last modified on 17 January 2011 at 11:34.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:17 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
If you tell a person how to kill himself and he commits suicide in that manner,
you can be tried for his murder.
Plain, your thinking is badly confused and scrambled.

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Are you under the impression that MLK would have viewed Fox News as a promoter of violence? I dont see it. As I understood him he approved of resolving differences and addressing injustice through political struggle....it was only after the political system failed to work that civil disobedience was called for.

The political system did not fail to work. What MLK addressed was the fact that blacks, in parts of the South, were being disenfranchised from the political system--they were not being allowed to vote.
Quote:

‘‘In Selma,’’ King wrote, ‘‘we see a classic pattern of disenfranchisement typical of the Southern Black Belt areas where Negroes are in the majority’’ (King, ‘‘Selma— The Shame and the Promise’’). In addition to facing arbitrary literacy tests and poll taxes, African Americans in Selma and other southern towns were intimidated, harassed, and assaulted when they sought to register to vote.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/enc_voting_rights_act_1965/

A law is unjust if it is inflicted on a minority that, as a result of being denied the right to vote, had no part in enacting or devising the law. Who can say that the legislature of Alabama which set up the state's segregation laws was democratically elected? ~Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from Birmingham Jail," Why We Can't Wait, 1963

To the extent that Fox News is a purveyer and endorser of Sarah Palin's and the Tea Party's use of gun-themed and violent rhethoric, yes, I do believe that Martin Luther King Jr would have viewed them as a promoter of violence. And violence, as a means of effecting change, was something that he definitely rejected. His message was one of peace, love, and brotherhood, not one of diviseness, and definitely not one of violence, not even violence indirectly implied.

To the extent that Fox News provides Glenn Beck an unfettered platform to spew forth hated, conspiracy theories, and violence tinged rhetoric, yes, I do believe believe that MLK would have viewed them as a promoter of violence. Beck has already inspired violence--in the case of Byron Williams who was trying to start "a revolution" based on what he had heard from Beck.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010110002

Gun-themed violent rhetoric can have tragic consequences--as even some conservative Republicans have pointed out.
Quote:
Moving past right-wing rhetoric
By: Joe Scarborough
January 18, 2011

We get it, Sarah Palin. You’re not morally culpable for the tragic shooting in Tucson, Ariz. All of us around the “Morning Joe” table agree, even if we were stunned that you would whine about yourself on Facebook as a shattered family prepared to bury their 9-year-old girl.

The same goes for you, Glenn Beck. You’ve attacked your political opponents with words designed to inspire hatred and mind-bending conspiracy theories from fans. Calling the president a racist, Marxist and fascist may be reprehensible, but it did not lead a mentally disturbed man to take a Glock to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’s “Congress on Your Corner” event.

Good on ya, buddy. You weren’t personally responsible for the slaughter at the Safeway. Maybe you can put it on a poster at the next “Talkers” convention.

But before you and the pack of right-wing polemicists who make big bucks spewing rage on a daily basis congratulate yourselves for not being responsible for Jared Lee Loughner’s rampage, I recommend taking a deep breath. Just because the dots between violent rhetoric and violent actions don’t connect in this case doesn’t mean you can afford to ignore the possibility — or, as many fear, the inevitability — that someone else will soon draw the line between them.

Actually, someone already has. When you get a minute, Google “Byron Williams” and “Tides Foundation” to see just how thin a layer of ice Beck skates on every day...

Who, other than Palin’s most strident supporters, was not troubled by the bull’s-eye target over Giffords’s district? Or the political advertisement promoting the removal of Giffords from office with the firing of a “fully automatic M16” with her opponent? Or the gunned-down congresswoman’s own warning to NBC’s Chuck Todd that violent words have consequences?...

In Palin’s Facebook manifesto last Wednesday, she didn’t condemn extreme speech and its potential for violence. Instead, she seemed to say, “Deal with it.” Then she proved it, ineptly and offensively naming herself the victim of a “blood libel,” which generations of persecuted Jews know carries connotations much more serious than a drop in the polls.

We know Palin won’t call out irresponsible language or lead the discussion back to civility, but who will?...
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47705.html#ixzz1BQBMVtvO

Reckless and irresponsible political rhetoric is not acceptable from either the left or the right--it is reprehensible--it should not be tolerated, let alone championed under the false guise of "patriotism".

Our political system has not failed--it works just fine. Grievances, as well as support, are addressed at the ballot box. Those who encourage their followers to be "armed and dangerous" or motivate them with slogans like, "Don't retreat, reload"--are making a direct association between political action and violence that is downright dangerous. These alleged "patriots" seem to forget that what keeps our country, and our democracy, strong, is our commitment to orderly and peaceful changes of goverment, and orderly and peaceful methods of protest. We protect our Constitution, and our republic, by rejecting violence, including violence themed political messages, as a solution to political differences--and real patriots know and understand that. Civil discourse isn't just a nicety, it's a necessity--it's what allows and permits true and open debate to take place.

Hawkeye, your failure to understand the dangers of reckless and irresponsible political rhetoric, as well as your own penchant for conspiratorial thought, suggests that you have been an avid viewer of Fox News and have thoroughly and uncritically ingested all of the propaganda they serve to promote.

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:24 am
@JTT,
i believe you're thinking of Gattaca, not twins but close enough looking to pass for each other, the one uses the other identity (right down to the DNA) to secure a place on a space mission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:29 am
@firefly,
Quote:
The political system did not fail to work. What MLK addressed was the fact that blacks, in parts of the South, were being disenfranchised from the political system--they were not being allowed to vote....Our political system has not failed--it works just fine

It took over a hundred years after the civil war had ended to allow the full rights of citizenship to blacks men and women in the south that is not repeat not a success in anyone eyes but your!!!!!!!!!

To say nothing of thousands of black men hung from trees during that period.

It would had been a success if the north had not given in to the white southerns after the civil war and removed the troops and ended the freemen bureau and allow the south to in part re-slave the blacks.
djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:00 am
@hawkeye10,
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickentreeastronaut.jpg
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:17 am
@djjd62,
I think he meant Avatar.
0 Replies