House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:35 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
As far as my "constant whining attitude regarding sports" is concerned, I'm sorry that disturbs you.

Doesn't disturb me; I'm done with that conversation. Just pointing out the origin of the association.

Cycloptichorn
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you. Smile
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And your explanation for my and David's association was incomplete.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Shrug. I don't usually point out spelling errors unless they are major and repeated. But neither do I excuse poor spelling and grammar; it's a sign of laziness when it is repeatedly done, and I lose interest in the conversation quickly when reading becomes difficult due to repeated errors.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

BillW wrote:
If it weren't true, why is the entire righty nation so paranoid about it? Where there is smoke there is fire.......

This bit of illogic has been repeated often enough in this thread to be worth refuting specifically:

No, an angry response to an accusation does not make it true.

That's not the point at all. Of course, the great Conservative freak-out on this issue doesn't mean that they are to blame for the guy shooting those people up.

What it does reveal is that they are WORRIED that they will be blamed - because they know in their heart that stuff like this is what happens when your leaders go on and on with violent rhetoric and terms. Conservatives instantly and loudly began shouting that this dude wasn't one of them and that everyone was silly for even thinking he might be. It is a defense mechanism, clear as day.

And they are right to worry; because their leaders have been setting them up for this sort of fall for a long time, and none of them have done a damn thing about it. No voice on the right calls for moderation amongst other right-wing leaders and there's no popular movement to stop it either. I guarantee you that every single active Conservative's first reaction when they heard this was, 'Christ, don't let that guy have been a Tea Partier. Please.'

From Sully:

Quote:
"On Extreme Right And Left" Ctd

11 Jan 2011 11:50 am

This goes back to my debate with Pejman. David Corn insists that the difference between right and left rhetorical extremism is that the right has "institutionalized their side's craziness." Juan Cole is blunt. George Packer concedes that George W. Bush was the subject of vile liberal rhetoric, but notes the unmissable scale of the difference:

Quote:
Only one side has made the rhetoric of armed revolt against an oppressive tyranny the guiding spirit of its grassroots movement and its midterm campaign. Only one side routinely invokes the Second Amendment as a form of swagger and intimidation, not-so-coyly conflating rights with threats. Only one side’s activists bring guns to democratic political gatherings. Only one side has a popular national TV host who uses his platform to indoctrinate viewers in the conviction that the President is an alien, totalitarian menace to the country. Only one side fills the AM waves with rage and incendiary falsehoods. Only one side has an iconic leader, with a devoted grassroots following, who can’t stop using violent imagery and dividing her countrymen into us and them, real and fake. Any sentient American knows which side that is; to argue otherwise is disingenuous.

The right and the left both have intemperate voices. But here's the key: only the conservative movement counts the most vile blowhards as leading lights, embraced by the leadership. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Sarah Palin: these are among the most popular conservatives in America. Who are the folks on the left with equivalent popularity and influence?

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/01/only-one-side.html

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

And your explanation for my and David's association was incomplete.

As I'm not privy to your PMs, I had no other way of knowing - or caring.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
if his entertainment career is anything to go by, Al Franken would bore someone to death before they got a chance to kill him
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:54 pm
A tale of two newspapers:

Quote:
On Thursday, an Army psychiatrist, clad in a military uniform, allegedly sprayed bullets inside a medical building, killing 13 people and wounding at least 30. The suspected gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, has counseled scores of soldiers suffering post-traumatic stress disorder after serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. His victims on Thursday were men and women who were preparing to deploy to the battle zones or had returned from there.

In the aftermath of this unforgivable attack, it will be important to avoid drawing prejudicial conclusions from the fact that Major Hasan is an American Muslim whose parents came from the Middle East.

President Obama was right when he told Americans, “we don’t know all the answers yet” and cautioned everyone against “jumping to conclusions.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/opinion/07sat1.html?_r=1

Quote:
It is facile and mistaken to attribute this particular madman’s act directly to Republicans or Tea Party members. But it is legitimate to hold Republicans and particularly their most virulent supporters in the media responsible for the gale of anger that has produced the vast majority of these threats, setting the nation on edge. Many on the right have exploited the arguments of division, reaping political power by demonizing immigrants, or welfare recipients, or bureaucrats. They seem to have persuaded many Americans that the government is not just misguided, but the enemy of the people.

That whirlwind has touched down most forcefully in Arizona, which Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik described after the shooting as the capital of “the anger, the hatred and the bigotry that goes on in this country.” Anti-immigrant sentiment in the state, firmly opposed by Ms. Giffords, has reached the point where Latino studies programs that advocate ethnic solidarity have actually been made illegal. . . .

Now, having seen first hand the horror of political violence, Arizona should lead the nation in quieting the voices of intolerance, demanding an end to the temptations of bloodshed, and imposing sensible controls on its instruments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/opinion/10mon1.html?_r=1

So the NY Times has jumped to the conclusion (along with their columnist Paul Krugman) that this was a case of "political violence."

Interesting that they were so careful to avoid calling the Fort Hood attack "religious" or even "political" violence.

Instead they floated this possible victim excuse:

Quote:
Unverified reports, some from his family members, suggest that Major Hasan complained of harassment by fellow soldiers for being a Muslim, that he hoped to get out of a deployment to Afghanistan, that he sought a discharge from the Army and that he opposed the American military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Al Franken would bore someone to death before they got a chance to kill him

Sad, but true.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Instead they floated this possible [fill in the blank]

Did you lend them one of your boats for the task?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

It's interesting that you've referenced the LIRR Massacre. There's no reason to believe you are citing it in anyway other than its relation to gun control, but it does lead to interesting comparisons.

From what I can tell, Colin Ferguson was almost as insane as Jared Lee Loughner, and he was motivated in some way by racial paranoia.

There are some other similarities between Jared Loughner and Colin Ferguson, in terms of the behaviors they had displayed before their shootings. Like Loughner, Ferguson was also suspended from the university he attended because of disruptive incidents and some verbal threats. For several years after that, Ferguson continued to display increasing mental instability and paranoia, and appeared so menacing that many people who had contact with him were fearful of him. Yet, despite how they were acting, and affecting those around them, both Loughner and Ferguson appear to have had no contacts with the mental health system or any evaluations for dangerousness. And, consequently, they both were able to legally purchase guns with high powered ammunition clips.

Since Kunstler and Kuby never got a chance to present their "Black Rage" temporary insanity defense, we really don't know whether they would have claimed that incendiary rhetoric influenced Ferguson's actions. And Ferguson's choice of victims on that LIRR train seemed rather random and not clearly connected to racial factors or motivations. Loughner, on the other hand, specifically targeted a congresswoman--although we still don't know why he targeted her. Because his target was a political figure, people are jumping to all sorts of premature conclusions about his possible motivations and the influences that might have affected him. While that's understandable, it is somewhat premature. We really do need to wait for more information on that score. In time, we will learn what motivated him.

But, what's very clear, is the fact that two very unstable individuals, Loughner and Ferguson, both with histories of disruptive, unstable, and menacing behaviors, were able to elude the mental health system so that no red flags were raised when they legally purchased their guns with high powered ammunition clips. Maybe that's the issue we should really be focusing on now.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What a ridiculous comparison. The first line of the NYT piece says,

Quote:
It is facile and mistaken to attribute this particular madman’s act directly to Republicans or Tea Party members.

You seem to be jumping on the fact that they used the phrase 'political violence.' Well, a politician got shot at a political rally. That's political violence. You have no clue what motivated it - none of us do, really - but to quibble with that line is asinine and stupid.

Yaknow you really are batting a thousand in this thread, man. Some of the absolute dumbest posts I've ever seen from you - when posting sober. You are exactly what I'm talking about when I refer to the great right-wing freak out on this issue.

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
paranoid I tells ya, them boys are all paranoid - next thing ya knows they gonna take up guns and a start shootin'
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:20 pm
I still like Frum's advice to Palin. I think it appropriate advice to all of us on all sides of the spectrum:

Quote:
Palin failed to appreciate the question being posed to her. That question was not: “Are you culpable for the shooting?” The question was: “Having put this unfortunate image on the record, can you respond to the shooting in a way that demonstrates your larger humanity? And possibly also your potential to serve as leader of the entire nation?”

Here it seems to me are the elements of such an answer.

(1) Take the accusation seriously. That does not mean you accept the accusation, nor even that you explicitly acknowledge it. But understand why people – not all of them necessarily out to get you – might feel negatively about this past action in light of current events.

(2) Express real grief and sincere compassion. “My condolences are offered” is not the language of someone whose heart is much troubled.

(3) Be visible. They’re laying flowers at the congressional office of Gabrielle Giffords. Any reason you can’t join them?

(4) Join the conversation. You have often complained about out-of-bounds personal comments directed toward you (eg, David Letterman’s). Now try to show toward others the same empathy that you demand from others. Innocent as you feel yourself to be, try to imagine how it must have felt to be Giffords during this past campaign season: guns showing up at her rallies, her offices vandalized, death threats – and your map as the finishing touch. Imagine how her family must feel. Speak to them.

(5) Challenge your opponents. In the past hours, many people have cited President Obama’s (borrowed) line about bringing a knife to a gun fight. They have a point! At the same time as you publicly commit to raise your game, invite your political opponents to raise theirs. Instead of deflecting the blame, share it.

(6) Raise the issue of mental health. Remember how you were going to be an advocate for children with special needs? Can’t more be done to intervene to help potentially dangerous schizophrenics – and to protect society from the risk of violence? (Read this by Dr. Sally Satel to start your thinking on the subject. ) The best way to underscore that Loughner was not motivated by Tea Party ideology is to remind them of what did impel him.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
She's not gonna get it.

because her world is all about HER.

not unlike some folks on a2k...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:28 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
But, what's very clear, is the fact that two very unstable individuals, Loughner and Ferguson, both with histories of disruptive, unstable, and menacing behaviors, were able to elude the mental health system so that no red flags were raised when they legally purchased their guns with high powered ammunition clips. Maybe that's the issue we should really be focusing on now.

But how do we focus on it ff? We are talking after the events here. If you are suggesting finding ways of identifying future dangers you are getting into very deep waters and also suggesting a massive expansion of mental health services which costs enough money to endanger lives, admittedly out of sight in other places, than you might save.

BTW--One of our news channels has thought fit to report than two of the bystanders at the Tuscon incident were carrying concealed weapons.
JTT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I still like Frum's advice

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the guy who helped the neocons spin the illegal invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan?
BillW

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:30 pm
@JTT,
Yes, he was a major Bush speech writer - coining many of his famous sayings. I saw him on TV and couldn't believe he was making such sense. See, even conservatives can talk without lying.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
David's an interesting fellow. Not conservative enough for the conservatives, but definitely not a liberal. He's growing into his mother's footsteps. She challenged everyone. Awesome woman.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
More on this, from Steve Benen:

Quote:
But what's especially interesting in the wake of Saturday's events in Tucson is that much of the right is implicitly acknowledging the problem within its ranks. As Kevin Drum explained, "I don't really blame conservatives for being upset at liberals trying pin the blame for the Giffords shooting on them, but the furious defensiveness of their counterattack says all that needs to be said about how uncomfortable they are with their own recent history."

Exactly. At a certain level, conservatives are aware of the fact that they've been going too far for too long, and they seem quite concerned this week that the light will shine on them in a very unflattering way. It's why they're not only making ridiculous efforts to paint Jared Lee Loughner as some kind of liberal, they're also hoping to avoid the entire conversation about rhetorical excesses in the political discourse altogether.

On Sunday, for example, when asked about Sarah Palin's crosshairs, Senate GOP Conference Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) concluded on CNN, "I think the way to get away from it is for you not to be talking about it." For her part, Palin has practically been in hiding the past few days.

It's as if a deliberate strategy that paid electoral dividends but hurt the country is catching up with the right, all at once. It's likely the right has a justifiable fear: that the public will pause to look at a bigger picture -- of the mainstreaming of Republican extremism, of violence-related campaign rhetoric, of hate-talk in GOP media -- and see just how ugly it is.

But if they're looking for a coherent defense, "both sides" isn't going to cut it. In Democratic circles, liberal extremists can't get any establishment attention at all. Members of Congress won't return their phone calls or even be seen in public with them. On the right, however, there's practically nothing a right-wing extremist can say or do to be exiled from polite company.

There's a clear and impermeable line between the progressive mainstream and the left fringe. The line between the Republican Party/conservative movement and the far-right fringe barely exists. Whereas Dems kept the fringe at arm's length, Republicans embrace the fringe with both arms.

Both sides have nutjobs; only one side thinks their nutjobs are sane.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies