Depression - self centeredness?

chai2

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:19 pm
Before I go into any background, I'd like to get a couple of opinions (BTW, this isn't about my husband)

Do you find, or do you know if depression causes, or has the side effect of a person being more self centered than the usual person?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 8,507 • Replies: 65

View best answer, chosen by chai2
talk72000

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:26 pm
@chai2,
It could be chemical balance. There is such a thing as 'manic depression' or 'bipolar disorder'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Symptoms
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/depressive/a/0402_dpsym1.htm

It could also be a case of high expectations and the let down that could follow from non-achievement.

Certain professions are prone to depression especially those that are of a contract nature. Actors/actresses seem prone to depression when their popularity nose dive.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:27 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks

No, this person has been diagnosed with major depression, has been under care for it for many years.

Not saying depression can't be caused by a chemical imbalance.

I'm wondering if someone depressed tends to become more self centered.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:41 pm
@chai2,
FWIW, I can't see how it does as I personally don't know of a correlation. Whether or not someone else will have some sort of anecdotal evidence is another story.

I will relate this (from experience) that people who are self-centered or, let's say, have narcissistic tendencies, will be a bigger Pain in the Butt when they're depressed than someone who is not afflicted. They'll go out of their way to call your attention to their suffering 'cause in their mind's eye it's all about them.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:47 pm
@Ragman,
mmm hmmm, I can see that Ragman.

Unfortunatley, I have not known this person for long, nor do I know him that well (or want to)

What I do know is that he has been depressed, and hospitalized for it over the years.

I was thinking along the lines of; you're depressed, all you can think about is your depression, so you're thinking of yourself a lot more than someone who is not depressed is.

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:52 pm
@chai2,
For better or worse, I'll use this example (that may not help): I knew of a person who, while in clinical depression, did nothing for themselves...not eat, not bathe and, as a result, let the health and personal hygiene go. Not what I would think of when I ponder a self-centered person. The results of their behavior was ultimately self-centered because someone had to clean them up and rescue them, though.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:58 pm
@Ragman,
yes, you are making a lot of sense.

having someone else "rescue" them.

I'll be back in a while, to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this, and explain the situation.

Thanks.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 05:20 pm
I think certain personalities are prone to depression.

I have never been "surprised" about who goes into depression - the signs were always there.

Note: post-partum depression is not in this category.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 05:29 pm
@chai2,
I'm not sure what you mean by "self-centered," but I think it's safe to say that people who are depressed spend a lot more of their time looking inward than outward. I know they would prefer it otherwise. The view is hardly a pleasent one or so many of them would not resort to suicide.

Someone who feels depressed for a day or two may be simply feeling sorry for himself, but this is hardly the case with people who have clinical depression.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 05:31 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Do you find, or do you know if depression causes, or has the side effect of a person being more self centered than the usual person?

Those folks who I have seen depressed sure seem like they are more self centered than average.

btw: being your husband would depress anyone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 07:07 pm
@chai2,
I've suffered from some serious bouts of depression but never to the point where I was hospitalized for it (not to say I might not should have been hospitalized) but I think it's almost the exact opposite of self centeredness.

You don't want to pay attention to yourself and you wish that nobody else would either. I just wanted to pull the covers over my head and be invisible. When people tried to "help" you just wanted them to **** off.

I can see how from the outside looking in that it could be taken for self-centeredness.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 07:13 pm
@chai2,
From what I have seen by working in mental health, I'd say your answer is yes and no. When a person is in a major depression normally it's that they see their life or situation that is causing the depression and focus on it and feed more into the depression. It's very hard on families if someone is depressed for a long time. But I don't think they consciously are feeling more self-centered or are trying to feel self-centered. It's just hard for them to see anything outside of what has them depressed. I hope that makes sense.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:00 pm
People certainly become withdrawn when they are depressed and that may seem like self-centeredness. Lack of interest is also characteristic of depression. A lack of interest in the people around you may seem like self-centeredness, but the depressed person has also lost interest in himself.
Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:06 pm
@wandeljw,
Yes, in a sense they see no value in themselves, or to life or to keep on living, for that matter
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 11:21 pm
Ragman makes a good point. This breaks into two different approaches to analyze the situation: psychology and physiology.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 11:27 pm

I can be self-centered and exultant without getting depressed.

David
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 11:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
me too david.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 11:52 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
me too david.
I 'll drink to that. Happy New Year!!!
with plenty of self-centeredness!!!!! Don't skimp!!!

David
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:33 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

You don't want to pay attention to yourself and you wish that nobody else would either. I just wanted to pull the covers over my head and be invisible. When people tried to "help"

I understand what you write but then what? Invisibility doesn't work so don't you want help? How is anyone to give help? Is the only help to pretend you're invisible and hope for the best? How did you get out of it?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:45 am

In 1971, I felt afronted by someone 's rudeness.
I chose not to take offense.
I got damn mad, for a while (silently).

After having a very fine Italian meal,
I felt really great: terrific; it was soooooo good.
I felt wonderful.

The change in my mood
was so abrupt that I easily saw the difference:
whereas I thawt that I had gotten mad because
of external events, I then realized that I 'd been
hungry (without feeling it) with low blood sugar,
giving rise to irritability.

I 'm no expert, but I 've heard that depression
results from an insufficiency of serotonin,
as distinct from bad luck in the external world.

David