Depression - self centeredness?

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 11:07 am
Why does it remind you of this thread?
boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:08 pm
@chai2,
It just did.

Maybe because it has to do with thinking we understand the reasons for things when we don't.
Izzie

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 04:56 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

I think it's dangerous to generalize about depression this way. Anyone who's ever had a loved one suffer from it knows how much time, care, and emotional energy it takes to be there for that person, which, it goes without saying, is what you do for someone you love. When I say "be there" I mean take out the trash for them and cook them dinner, your alternative being to let them starve in their filthy apartment.

After an extended period of having to be selfless--and I would say the average human, excluding parents, goes through long stretches not having to be particularly selfless--you begin to think about the toll your efforts are taking on yourself. That is when you notice your ill loved one doesn't seem notice. Which they ******* can't, because they can't even take out the trash. And so you realize they aren't being self-centered, at least not by virtue of the fact that you are compelled, out of love, to give them attention. And you realize you need to grow up.

Because if you decide that this is one of those instances where it's important to put yourself first, and start saying stupid **** like "toxic personality," and you distance yourself from them, they will potentially distance themselves from you. And when I say distance I mean an entirely other plane of existence, or perhaps non-existence--we'll all find out someday. That's what I mean by dangerous.

yep!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 05:04 am
Sounds right

Quote:

SELF-CENTERED BEHAVIOR: A Common Characteristic Of Abusive People

This Is Part Of The AbusiveLove.com Website

In my opinion, the one common characteristic of abusive people is that they are self-centered. I have never met an abusive person who was not this way.

They see the world through a very different lens than the rest of us. Everything is colored with their own self-interest. People who can be useful to them are given more importance, yet vital matters that don't related directly to them are given little attention.

You would think that being self-centered would mean that they have a high opinion of themselves. Oddly it is just the opposite. These people have low self-esteem, but nevertheless everything revolves around them.

I believe they cannot be happy because they cannot get outside of themselves. They cannot see the world from another's perspective. They cannot belong to something larger or be a part of something bigger than themselves. They are in a sense trapped within their own selfishness. This is one of life's strange dilemmas.
This self-centeredness explains many of their contradictions. They expect a lot from others, for example, but others cannot expect much from them. They want friends and family to understand their feelings, but they do not understand the emotions of those they love.

They are abusive because they want you to do what they ask, do it immediately and not question their demands. Yet they do not want to help with things that you find important. They want you to be there for them; but they're not interested in being available for you.

Many self-centered people are depressed. When you think about it, it makes sense. Self-centered individuals live within narrow confines; they have no point of reference other than themselves; they are, in a sense, eating themselves alive.

I am reminded of the story of how monkeys can be trapped. A small hole is drilled into a coconut just large enough to insert a banana. This coconut is then attached to a tree. The monkey comes along, smells the banana, reaches in and grabs the banana and tries to withdraw it, but with his fist around the fruit, he cannot pull out his hand. Since he is unwilling to let go, he is caught.

Self-centered people are unwilling to let go of their selfishness believing that it is essential. Yet if they could let go, they could free themselves of their self-created prison
http://www.abusivelove.com/2006/08/self-centered-behavior-common.html
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

It just did.

Maybe because it has to do with thinking we understand the reasons for things when we don't.

Or maybe you wrote that because you like to think that no one ever knows the reasons for things. That everything is just so complex that we are all in this void of not understanding.

In this case, it's about the fact that one persons rights ends where my nose begins.

Quick update.

My brief conversation with my husband aroused his curiosity, and he began to observe the situation more objectively.
Since then, and especially events of yesterday, have shown us both that in this case, my original feelings were spot on.

So, as incredible as it may sound, sometimes we do understand the reasons for things.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:26 am
@chai2,
My worry is that you were using the peculiarities of your husband's friend to generalize about depression. The title of your thread implies a generalization.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:49 am
@wandeljw,
Sorry, but your worry isn't my concern.

Yes, that sounds self centered. It is to an extent. It extends to the self centeredness that protects my family unit.

I'm not depressed. Nor am I self centered in all ways. Mainly just about my family stability, which I have worked far too hard for.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
@chai2,
You missed the point. There were several excellent posts on this thread about the complexity of depression. In spite of that you seem resolved to be shallow about this subject.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:14 am
@wandeljw,
Well, since I started the thread about my particular situation, and my particular situation is now resolving itself, I got the information I needed.

I'm not missing any points, they just aren't helpful to me.

We can all go on forever about "it's so complex" "we don't know the situation" etc. etc.

A lot of people can read all that, and decide there's nothing they can do, because of the complexity, or that they daren't say or do something for fear of acting like "I know the situation"
Lately, that seems to be the mantra of a large segment of society "we don't know everything about the situation"

Well, no ****.
Sometimes a situation is not as complex as we want to make out to be, and sometimes (a lot of the time) we do know enough about the situation.
And no **** "all situations are not like this one"

I learned and figured out enough about what I was originally posting about, enough to do something, and it didn't really matter if it was more or less complex than what I, or anyone surmises.

Much as I dislike jargon, I believe much of the time we suffer from "paralysis by analysis"
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes a depressed person is self centered, sometimes they aren't. Sometimes depression leads to self centeredness, sometime it doesn't.

I think we know more than we realize we know, and need to relearn to trust our instincts about that.

Honestly? Since I've had to deal with a depressed person who was self destructing in front of my eyes, I have worn out my ability, exhaused my reserves of caring about some random depressed person that enters my parameter.
If that depressed person fucks with my dominion, they are out.

This guy, especially after yesterday, which I'm not going into here, is out.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:48 am
@chai2,
It would have been nice to give us an idea, either in the title, or in your first post that your intention was to focus on something narrow.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:21 am
@chai2,
Interesting dialogue about this (and other discussion dynamics) as relates to emotional/personal problem issues. All sides have defended and most have explained their points of view admirably. I've learned something more than prior to participating & reading this thread. Possibly the discussion about Depression itself might have gone differently, but I accept the limitations of A2K disccusions about and around personal problems.

Wandel: Sometimes people just don't know when they post their initial question that their focus is narrower about a problem than it acutally is. Then it becomes a sorting out process as the discussion plays itself out.

Chai: Based on your info here, were I in your (running) shoes, I'd rule the guy out from being at your house or social circle, too. He sounds pretty much like a soul vampire.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:12 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Wandel: Sometimes people just don't know when they post their initial question that their focus is narrower about a problem than it acutally is. Then it becomes a sorting out process as the discussion plays itself out.

You are probably correct about that, Ragman. My experience on advice threads is very limited. I should not be making harsh judgements.

Sorry about that, Chai. Will you ever forgive me?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:13 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

It would have been nice to give us an idea, either in the title, or in your first post that your intention was to focus on something narrow.

I thought I did wandel, by saying that "before I go into any background, I'd like to get opinions"

After a few responses, I provided the background, which was focused.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:18 am
@chai2,
You and Ragman have a good point, Chai. Sorry about my misjudgement.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:27 am
@wandeljw,
I think I'm depressed now, but that could be about my self-centeredness. Maybe I should attempt to focus my ADD/ADHD nature with some of these meds. OK...ok...ok...that's an inside joke about the 3 personal problem threads in which I've been involved these last few days.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@Ragman,
Focus on whatever you want. I desperately am seeking punishment from Chai.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:36 am
@wandeljw,
Farbeit from me to get in the way of a man on a masochist's mission!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:39 pm
@wandeljw,
Well, you can just wait.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
@chai2,
Thanks! Waiting prolongs the experience for me.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:59 pm
@wandeljw,
As if I'm not aware of that.

One of these days, I'm going to find you hanging from the clothes rod in the closet.