BREAKING NEWS! Senate Votes to Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell Bill 63 - 33!

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Americans aren't that different from other humans.

We are different.

Obama says we are no longer exceptional, but most Americans want to be exceptional.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Americans aren't that different from other humans.

JTT will jump all over that.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
I live in hope.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/worldview/100202/dont-ask-dont-tell

Quote:
There are about 30 countries in the world, including nearly all of the NATO members, as well as South Africa, Brazil and the Philippines, that allow gay and lesbian servicemen and women in the military, according to Aaron Belkin, a political science professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

“In just about all of these countries there is research and anecdotal evidence that illustrates there is no problem, no decrease in cohesion among units, nor a diminishing effectiveness of the troops,” said Belkin, an expert in the area of civil-military relations whose research has been published in the military publications "International Security" and "Armed Forces and Society."

In 2000, Belkin co-authored an exhaustive 44-page study on Canada, which, after a series of lawsuits in 1991, changed its policies to allow gays to openly serve in the military. Belkin’s study, which at the time was regarded as the most comprehensive academic study of homosexuality in a foreign military ever completed, concluded that the change in policy had “not led to any change in military performance, unit cohesion, or discipline.”

44 pages is exhaustive?

hmmmm, well it is about Canada

Maybe that required an emoticon, but I'm not Canadian so not to worry.

Not a bad idea and it could save time if it actually provides best practices rather than simply citing statistics for 44 pages and concludes there is no problem.

Still, given the risk it might be prudent to implement based on our own experiences than those of another army. In any case I don't think the US military, rightly or wrongly, is likely to accept the Canadian or Brazilian manual on this.

I'm not stumping for phased implementation, just for an acknowledgment that there could be problems and a reasoned plan to address them.

(I would also like a little less of bigot branding, but not much of a chance of that) Cool
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:12 pm
@ehBeth,
the whole shebang

http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2010/0610_gatesdadt/DADTReport_FINAL_20101130(secure-hires).pdf

It's the original source for

Quote:
The report published on Tuesday shows that 70 percent of respondents do not expect problems if the army's ban on open homosexuality is ended. The researchers polled 400,000 servicemen and women and 150,000 partners of service personnel.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/gays-dutch-army-no-problem

The Dutch ended their prohibition on gays in the military in 1974.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Maybe that required an emoticon, but I'm not Canadian so not to worry.

I am, so I can get away with it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Not a bad idea and it could save time if it actually provides best practices rather than simply citing statistics for 44 pages and concludes there is no problem.

I believe that there's a series of rather large best practices documents at HRDC (Human Resources Development Canada).

It'd be a shame if the U.S. started back at the beginning (in re implementation) as if this was some kind of revolutionary idea.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And the serving combat soldiers and marines, are they all souless politicians or fundamentalist Christians, or are they all just brainless bigots?

Most assuredly not the former but some are obviously of the latter two.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
where problems can cost lives and the success of important missions?

The lives that these "important missions" are costing are not those of the US. They are innocents around the world. If you had the slightest speck of honesty in your whole being you would admit what you know is the truth. When was the last time that the US was involved in any real mission, any mission that involved doing what's right?

Weigh those times against the, what, hundred to two hundred times [not even including CIA] that the US military has been used to help American business steal the resources of other countries.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
JTT will jump all over that.

No, JPB, I won't. I'll just jump on you a bit for posting yet another idiotic response.

Would it not consider it better to possess the honesty and the decency necessary to simply address the facts?
JPB

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:16 pm
@JTT,
Hello?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:18 pm
@JPB,
Ha!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:19 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
We are different.

How so? In that you've outdone other countries in brutally murdering innocents?

Quote:
Obama says we are no longer exceptional, but most Americans want to be exceptional.

You certainly qualify, h2oman.

You are exceptionally stupid, you're an exceptional liar, you are exceptional in your hatred of other people, you are exceptional in your defense of war criminals/felons, you are exceptional in your "abilities" to express yourself, you are exceptional in your ability to delude yourself, you are just one all round exceptional bit of pond scum.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:20 pm
@JPB,
Hello, this is he. You have a question?
JPB

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:25 pm
@JTT,
er... yeah.

JTT wrote:
No, JPB, I won't. I'll just jump on you a bit for posting yet another idiotic response.

Would it not consider it better to possess the honesty and the decency necessary to simply address the facts?

Being called dishonest and indecent is a new one. Ioditic, I can live with.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:29 pm
@JPB,
Sorry, JPB.
JTT: Your comment should have directed to me- realjohnboy.
Please apologize to her and make it clear that I am the one you consider idiotic, dishonest and indecent. Thank you.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:29 pm
@JTT,

My mistake. "JPB" should have read "RJB".

My apologies to JPB.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Sorry, JPB.
JTT: Your comment should have directed to me- realjohnboy.
Please apologize to her and make it clear that I am the one you consider idiotic, dishonest and indecent. Thank you.

Done before you even asked. As you wish, RJB.

RJB is the one who is idiotic, and who lacks the honesty and decency to address facts.
failures art

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:34 pm
I'm glad we got that sorted out.

A
R
T
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:34 pm
@JTT,
Smile
0 Replies