BREAKING NEWS! Senate Votes to Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell Bill 63 - 33!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:42 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Don't ask; don't tell permitted homosexuals to serve in the military if they adapted to military life and didn't make an issue of their sexuality in doing so.

This would be a more compelling argument, if not for the fact that there have been many who were booted out who weren't, in fact, 'making an issue' of their sexuality. Instead, somebody found out about it and turned them in, which lead to their subsuquent expulsion. What you describe doesn't match the reality of the situation.

Quote:
Will we see the creation of "Gay Associations" in military units bent on making military culture more acceptable to their organized advocates? I expect we will.

Oh, for Christ' sake. These people are ALREADY in the military. They just want to fit in, not to make themselves increasingly different from everyone else.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:52 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
The people who have indicated that the repeal will have an impact on combat readiness certainly have both military and combat experience: McCain, the Chiefs of Staff of the Army and Marines, and the polled soldiers and marines who currently are serving on the front lines.

McCain is a politician. He has dramatically changed his stance on this issue, and on a couple other important issues, in exchange for his 30 pieces of silver from the tea party right. James Amos is a fundamentalist Christian. Fundamentalist Christians have made fighting rights for homosexuals in any part of society one of the primary activities.

Of course there is nothing technically wrong with being a soulless politician or a fundamentalist letting your religious beliefs influence how you handle a position of authority.

But it seems like the people without one of these clear biases are OK (if not elated) with the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

And the serving combat soldiers and marines, are they all souless politicians or fundamentalist Christians, or are they all just brainless bigots?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:54 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I said "knowledge of" homosexuals, Finn. Homosexuals are already in the military, so asking people for their feelings on knowing about the situation they are already in, is pointless.

What I've never understood about the resistance on this is that if homosexuals add sexual tension to a unit, then wouldn't those people who feel the most uncomfortable have a greater amount of tension when they did not know who was homosexual in their unit? Why would tension increase with situational awareness?

A
R
T

So, you decided what gays in the miltary and especially those who might be on the front lines want? Have they been heard on this issue, and if so how?

As for the tension, you'll have to ask the people who experience it or are concerned they will.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And the serving combat soldiers and marines, are they all souless politicians or fundamentalist Christians, or are they all just brainless bigots?

The majority of them are fine, but some clearly are brainless bigots. And who amongst us finds this surprising?

The US Military has been consciously infiltrated by Fundamnetalist Christianity for a few decades now, and the result has been an increasing amount of intolerance in the force...

There's zero difference between this and other forms of discrimination in the military which are things of the past. The same exact arguments were used to claim that blacks wouldn't be able to successfully intergrate. They were wrong then and they are wrong now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:09 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Don't ask; don't tell permitted homosexuals to serve in the military if they adapted to military life and didn't make an issue of their sexuality in doing so.

This is a self defeating argument. DADT made a greater issue of soldier's sexuality. The repeal removes the emphasis on sexuality, not enhances it.

georgeob1 wrote:
What will repeal accomplish in addition?

1) It will allow for homosexual soldiers to get equal care from military therapists without fearing discharge.
2) It will close a loophole where soldiers can exit the military by claiming homosexual activity.

georgeob1 wrote:
Will we see the creation of "Gay Associations" in military units bent on making military culture more acceptable to their organized advocates? I expect we will.

So what? There are all sorts of associations in the military. Why can't homosexuals have one? Christian, Jewish, and Muslim support orgs exist in the military. These orgs are for the soldiers. Who cares?

georgeob1 wrote:
Will all this make for a better Marine Battalion or Fighter Squadron? I don't think so.

Yes it will. There is no doubt that a straight Marine will fight just as hard. There is plenty of reason to say a gay Marine will fight harder for a country that accepts him or her.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So, you decided what gays in the miltary and especially those who might be on the front lines want?

The irony here is Finn that if gay soldiers on the front lines don't want to have the option to be openly gay, they weren't able to express their opinion on this under DADT either.

Having said that, you don't really believe that this is the situation, do you?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Have they been heard on this issue, and if so how?

Outed soldiers who have been discharged have been pretty damn clear on this.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As for the tension, you'll have to ask the people who experience it or are concerned they will.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some people who experience anxiety about homosexuals, and that many are in the military. I don't however grant them some special exception. Who or what someone else is, is not excuse for your own actions, nor is it an excuse for inability to do your job. service men and women overcome great diversity to work together all the time. I don't believe for one second that this is any larger than the challenges they deal with daily. In fact, it's pretty trivial.

A
R
T
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:38 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some people who experience anxiety about homosexuals, and that many are in the military. I don't however grant them some special exception. Who or what someone else is, is not excuse for your own actions, nor is it an excuse for inability to do your job. service men and women overcome great diversity to work together all the time. I don't believe for one second that this is any larger than the challenges they deal with daily. In fact, it's pretty trivial.

A
R
T

I could refer you to Snood's question and ask you if you have military experience and if so, combat experience, but I won't because I respect your opinion as one which has been formed with consideration.

I don't know if the issue of battlefield readiness is valid or not, and unless you can answer Snood's question in the affirmative, you probably don't either.

My point is that there are people with both military and combat experience who are concerned and my sense (certainly from the discussion on this thread) is that this concern is being dismissed as mere bigotry.

I can appreciate that there may be legitimate concern in some quarters that the idea of a phased implementation seems like stalling, but if the repeal is implemented stateside and in support units, it is inevitable that it would be implemented in battle units, and hopefully after there was a chance for the institution to adjust to a major change.

Frankly, this may very well be what happens as the implementation process is up to the military, and not congress. It may also be why McCain opposed the repeal, knowing that he wouldn't win...so he could make it easier for the military to implement a phased approach.

I personally don't oppose the repeal, but I'm tired of all the overly simplistic blather about how this is exactly like the segragation of blacks in the military. It is not. A Don't Ask Don't Tell policy regarding blacks is unimaginable. I'm also disgusted by the insistence by so many of demonizing the opponents of the repeal....even after it won the day.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
personally don't oppose the repeal, but I'm tired of all the overly simplistic blather about how this is exactly like the segragation of blacks in the military. It is not. A Don't Ask Don't Tell policy regarding blacks is unimaginable. I'm also disgusted by the insistence by so many of demonizing the opponents of the repeal....even after it won the day.

My my because you could not paint black men white and tell them not to reveal that they are black that somehow made this nonsense in any real manner difference from what the military did to our black citizens until sixty years ago?

The same damn nonsense was issue at the time as to why oh why we could not grant black men the right of to serve on equal footing as is now being express so freely concerning homosexuals.

In both cases the arguments as far as I am concern was driven by bigots trying to justify them being bigots.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
personally don't oppose the repeal, but I'm tired of all the overly simplistic blather about how this is exactly like the segragation of blacks in the military. It is not. A Don't Ask Don't Tell policy regarding blacks is unimaginable. I'm also disgusted by the insistence by so many of demonizing the opponents of the repeal....even after it won the day.

My my because you could not paint black men white and tell them not to reveal that they are black that somehow made this nonsense in any real manner difference from what the military did to our black citizens until sixty years ago?

The same damn nonsense was issue at the time as to why oh why we could not grant black men the right of to serve on equal footing as is now being express so freely concerning homosexuals.

In both cases the arguments as far as I am concern was driven by bigots trying to justify them being bigots.

I know Bill. You've made this point repeatedly.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
know Bill. You've made this point repeatedly.

And as long as we have posters on this thread trying to justify being bigots with the same set of arguments that was used toward our black citizens I will keep making that point.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

This would be a more compelling argument, if not for the fact that there have been many who were booted out who weren't, in fact, 'making an issue' of their sexuality. Instead, somebody found out about it and turned them in, which lead to their subsuquent expulsion. What you describe doesn't match the reality of the situation.

Very likely both have occurred. However neither of us knows in what proportions. You are merely assuming that those "booted out" were done so for the wrong reasons. In my experience these things usually (though not always) happen only because the individual in question had made himself (or herself) a problem for the unit in major part for other, sometimes associated reasons. Military life is demanding and many folks are thrown out (= fired) for many reasons, almost all of them associated with preserving the health and combat effectiveness of the unit they serve.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Oh, for Christ' sake. These people are ALREADY in the military. They just want to fit in, not to make themselves increasingly different from everyone else.

Cycloptichorn

As I noted above, many don't really want to fit in - they instead want to alter the character of the unit they supposedly serve. An unwillingness to "fit in" was in my long experience the central reason for all administrative discharges from the military, those associated with homosexuality and all others as well. The new law will make it much harder for military units to get rid of troublemakers who happen also to be homosexual. It will, in effect, give homosexuals rights and protections in the military that are not available to others and thereby exacerbate the existing tensions.

I would be more persuaded by your opinions if you had any real experience in this area.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
As I noted above, many don't really want to fit in - they instead want to alter the character of the unit they supposedly serve. An unwillingness to "fit in" was in my long experience the central reason for all administrative discharges from the military, those associated with homosexuality and all others as well.

An unwillingness to be a heterosexual so they can fit in?

kind of the same as the unwillingness of blacks to be white so they can fit in.

I see no reason to run the military to made the bigots comfortable and it seem far fairer and better to get rid of the bigots not the men and women the bigots happen to dislike.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
know Bill. You've made this point repeatedly.

And as long as we have posters on this thread trying to justify being bigots with the same set of arguments that was used toward our black citizens I will keep making that point.

And I'm sure someone will give you a Gold Star for your heroic efforts.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And I'm sure someone will give you a Gold Star for your heroic efforts.

A gold star would be nice however not allowing bigots to pretend to be anything but bigots is even better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It may very well be the right decision to risk tension on the battlefield

Interesting. It is my experience, not in battlefield, but in another type of enforced working together situation, that there is considerably less tension once there is no guessing about is s/he or isn't s/he and does s/he know or not know.

People get over it pretty quickly once they know the facts, and it's not a matter of curiosity/anxiety.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Gob defends communism.

Quote:
As I noted above, many don't really want to fit in - they instead want to alter the character of the unit they supposedly serve. An unwillingness to "fit in" was in my long experience the central reason for all administrative discharges from the military,

You really would have made an excellent Gestapo or SS officer, Gob.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Could be.

Does it make any sense though to phase the implementation so that we have a clearer understanding of what the problems may be and how to solve them before introducing the policy to front line units, where problems can cost lives and the success of important missions?

Not as an attempt to scuttle the repeal but to mitigation a risk that many experienced people believe is real.

Again, I'll be somewhat surprised if this isn't exactly what the military will do in terms of implementation.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It would probably be easiest (I'd be surprised if it hasn't already been done) to look at the results of forces in other countries that have already gone through this process. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Americans aren't that different from other humans.

(should I add an emoticon?)
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:54 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Americans aren't that different from other humans.

JTT will jump all over that.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:56 pm
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/worldview/100202/dont-ask-dont-tell

Quote:
There are about 30 countries in the world, including nearly all of the NATO members, as well as South Africa, Brazil and the Philippines, that allow gay and lesbian servicemen and women in the military, according to Aaron Belkin, a political science professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

“In just about all of these countries there is research and anecdotal evidence that illustrates there is no problem, no decrease in cohesion among units, nor a diminishing effectiveness of the troops,” said Belkin, an expert in the area of civil-military relations whose research has been published in the military publications "International Security" and "Armed Forces and Society."

In 2000, Belkin co-authored an exhaustive 44-page study on Canada, which, after a series of lawsuits in 1991, changed its policies to allow gays to openly serve in the military. Belkin’s study, which at the time was regarded as the most comprehensive academic study of homosexuality in a foreign military ever completed, concluded that the change in policy had “not led to any change in military performance, unit cohesion, or discipline.”

44 pages is exhaustive?

hmmmm, well it is about Canada