BREAKING NEWS! Senate Votes to Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell Bill 63 - 33!

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:26 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

@benschwartzy retweeted by scharpling
Glad to see #DADT repealed for the US Military. Hoping it can be repealed next in the Republican Party.

In EVERY party!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:45 pm
I am happy that this was the outcome, though I appreciate that there are those who have concerns about whether it can be implemented.
It has been more than 40 years since I served in VN. And it was only less then a year before that that a bunch of scared kids, white/black/hispanic gathered for Basic Training at Ft Dix, NJ.
For the 1st time in my life, a black man screamed in my face, telling me that I had fucked up. But he screamed over the course of the day in everyone's face. And we became a unit. A team.
The military is good at that kind of training. I think history proves that. In VN, it mattered not at all about ethnic background after the training we got.
I think that this will turn out okay. I hope that gay/lesbian service members wont flaunt this and that straight service members wont launch some kind of bashing. I don't think that will happen. I don't think the military will let it happen.
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I think that this will turn out okay.

Me too. Only time will tell, of course, but sometimes we tend to do much ado about nothing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:14 pm
Good.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If sexual tension is detrimental to our ability to wage war on the front lines, why wouldn't a better solution be to eliminate the source of tension rather than make sure it's effects are spread evenly?

It's entirely possible and quite probable that with time, the tensions in the more open environment to which this repeal will lead will work themselves out, but what McCain was arguing is that the consequence of this tension on the battlefield is too great to rely on time and communication to sort out.

Our armed forces are already co-ed, so I think the old fashioned sexual tension between men and women already drowns out any effect from having homosexuals in uniform. If the Navy can run a co-ed ship with hundreds or thousands of sailors of both sexes in close proximity, I think the Army can have a patrol with a gay guy in it. As for McCain, his attempt to shift the goal posts just out of reach every time one of his arbitrary hurtles is breached shows that he would grasp any excuse to block homosexuals from serving. Today it is tension on the battlefield, tomorrow it would be something different. The reality is that this policy is wrong and has always been wrong. We are on a course to make it right and that is a very good thing.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

[On what experience with commanding openly gay soldiers are you basing this opinion?

Much more than you have my friend.
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:49 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

mcain should just be happy the votes aren't by a show of hands

all those in favour raise your hands
all those opposed raise your hands
senator mcain, are you abstaining? Twisted Evil

Don't care for McCain, hate his stance on DADT, but this is a repugnant comment. McCain can't raise his hands because he was tortured in the service of his country and he is permanently disabled as a result.
BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:56 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
McCain can't raise his hands because he was tortured in the service of his country and he is permanently disabled as a result.

And yet he was more then willing to throw fellow comrades under arms, many of them also bearing wounds gotten in servicing the country, under the bus for his own damn gain.
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:00 pm
@BillRM,
True, so condemn his actions. Making fun of his disability strikes he as beyond the pale.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

And yet he was more then willing to throw fellow comrades under arms, many of them also bearing wounds gotten in servicing the country, under the bus for his own damn gain.

You appear to be very confused ... unless, of course you are really talking about John Kerry.
BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You appear to be very confused ... unless, of course you are really talking about John Kerry.

Not at all confused as I was giving the engineer credit for knowing what the hell he was talking about without googling the matter.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:12 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
True, so condemn his actions. Making fun of his disability strikes he as beyond the pale.

His actions does not call for a lot of respect toward him as he does not seem to have any need to show respect to soldiers who had fought and in some cases die for their country with honor.
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:31 pm
@BillRM,
I don't have to respect McCain to not make fun of the disabled.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:51 pm
@failures art,
It took this for you to realize that John McCain is a real scumbag? You are one naive little guy, Art.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:58 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It was hard enough running a Battalion, Regiment or large ship like an aircraft carrier in operational situations: it will be much harder now.

Gob1/Finn in the 1960s:

It'll be hard enough trying to find a water fountain that hasn't been used by some dirty nigga. And now they're gonna be able to see the puny size of my pecker in swimming pool change rooms!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:09 am
@georgeob1,
Yes, you must remember that Gob1 volunteered for THREE tours in the illegal invasion of Vietnam. One tour just didn't provide him enough satisfaction in bombing the **** out of a poor defenseless little Asian country.
JTT

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:14 am
@engineer,
Quote:
he was tortured in the service of his country

How can you keep on with this drivel? The Vietnamese only wanted to be free of foreign domination. Lest you forget, that's exactly how your country came to be founded.

McCain most certainly was not in the service of his country. He was part of an illegal invasion upon a sovereign country.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:39 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If sexual tension is detrimental to our ability to wage war on the front lines, why wouldn't a better solution be to eliminate the source of tension rather than make sure it's effects are spread evenly?

It's entirely possible and quite probable that with time, the tensions in the more open environment to which this repeal will lead will work themselves out, but what McCain was arguing is that the consequence of this tension on the battlefield is too great to rely on time and communication to sort out.

Our armed forces are already co-ed, so I think the old fashioned sexual tension between men and women already drowns out any effect from having homosexuals in uniform. If the Navy can run a co-ed ship with hundreds or thousands of sailors of both sexes in close proximity, I think the Army can have a patrol with a gay guy in it. As for McCain, his attempt to shift the goal posts just out of reach every time one of his arbitrary hurtles is breached shows that he would grasp any excuse to block homosexuals from serving. Today it is tension on the battlefield, tomorrow it would be something different. The reality is that this policy is wrong and has always been wrong. We are on a course to make it right and that is a very good thing.

I could be wrong here, but I don't believe they are co-ed on the battlefield.

In any case, I am not agreeing with the argument made by McCain and the Army and Marine chiefs of staff, but defending it from charges that it necessarily signals homophobic bigotry.

Your argument that McCain is hell bent on keeping gays from serving, would be a lot stronger if you had more than one example of an "arbitrary" hurdle he has set up.

Quote:
Today it is tension on the battlefield, tomorrow it would be something different.

What was it yesterday and the day before?

The reality is that you believe that the policy is wrong and has always been wrong and there are enough legislators in Congress who agree with you.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:27 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Wow! this is huge! I hardly believe it - I guess the fence hangers finally saw the inevitability (or, more likely, the political expediency). John McCain is below despicable.

This is a fascinating post. "Fence hangers" written instead of "fence sitters". The mental association with hangers is revealing.
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:37 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Yes, you must remember that Gob1 volunteered for THREE tours in the illegal invasion of Vietnam. One tour just didn't provide him enough satisfaction in bombing the **** out of a poor defenseless little Asian country.

Defenseless?

They have the best anti-aircraft defense system at the time in the world along with their own aircrafts.

0 Replies