Christian Fundamentalism and American Politics, Part 2

Kara

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:09 pm
Scary stuff, blatham...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:08 pm
Another example:You are a slut and must bear the consequences of your actions!
Quote:
Texas Pharmacist Denies Pill to Rape Victim

DALLAS (Reuters) - Eckerd Corp. said on Tuesday it had disciplined one of its pharmacists after he refused to fill the prescription of a rape victim seeking a morning-after abortion pill.

The pharmacist considered it a violation of morals to give a rape victim, with a valid prescription, a pill that would prevent her from getting pregnant due to the sexual assault, the company said. The incident took place on Jan. 23 at an Eckerd drug store in the Dallas suburb of Denton.

Eckerd spokeswoman Joan Gallagher said she could not give details of the disciplinary actions, but said the pharmacist had violated company policy.

"A pharmacist is obliged to fill a prescription if it is a valid, legal prescription," she said. "We do not make exceptions for any moral, religious or ethical concerns with regard to filling the prescription."

Florida-based Eckerd is owned by Texas-based retailer J.C. Penney .

Protesters, carrying signs reading "Got Raped? Let someone else help you" and "Rape violates my morals," have been picketing the store this week.

The rape victim was able to have her prescription filled at a Walgreen's pharmacy in the area, they said.

But, since most fundies would say the woman "wanted it" and it was "her fault," I'm sure they see it as a way to make sure she would suffer consequences for her "fun."

Mad
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:31 pm
hobit

I bumped into that story also. To be fair, I don't think we can add in those notions you suggest as a necessary component to the worldview of these three pharmacists. Such simplistic notions are, where they arise, pretty despicable and quite easy to attack. But the abortion issue isn't so simple, and gives pause to many thoughtful and non-ideological folks. I know you know this too, just thought I'd toss my comment in for balance.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:25 pm
The world of fundamentalism gets curiouser and curiouser.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 04:14 am
Living under the rule of a president whose actions are largely informed by that most fickle of things - faith - bothers me alot. I hate the concept of faith in everyday life, and I absolutely destest it in politics.

Striking Iraq because God told you too is simply not good enough for me. On the other hand, if Bush wants to tie a rope around his neck, fasten it to the balcony, and jump out the window because God told him too, he has my full support.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:42 am
IronLionZion wrote:
Living under the rule of a president whose actions are largely informed by that most fickle of things - faith - bothers me alot. I hate the concept of faith in everyday life, and I absolutely destest it in politics.

Striking Iraq because God told you too is simply not good enough for me. On the other hand, if Bush wants to tie a rope around his neck, fasten it to the balcony, and jump out the window because God told him too, he has my full support.

Not bloody likely.

These people who have GOD talk to them very seldom hear anything from GOD that has them do anything they don't really want to do...

...or for that matter, that orders them NOT to do something they want to.

How lucky for them!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:12 pm
still, I think they're bound to shoot themselves in the foot.........it's required with this degree of masochism. I'm waiting and I'm believing it may have already happened. We shall see.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:46 pm
...and some good news, as I head off to sleep...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/04/national/04CND-MASS.html?hp
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
good night, Blatham...................
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 10:45 pm
Gay marriage is gonna be one of the big issues in the upcoming election.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:12 am
ci

It is. Rove has had meetings with Bauer and other such folks over the last few days on precisely this matter. Bush has made a predictable speech now, using the usual code-words, 'sacred institution' and 'activist judges'.

But, the christian right could easily end up losing at the federal level on this one. They have been very well organized for some years now, and their voter turnout is not likely to grow significantly simply because they'll come out to the polls anyway. On the other hand, if the more liberal part of the population continues to feel alarm at the increasing threats to liberty and democracy from such theocratic forces, their determination to fight back will flourish.

It's not a bad battleground at all, really. Either the US is going to live up to the challenges presented by it's constitution and the ideals which informed it, or the US is going to fall victim to precisely the sort of typical majoritarian and theological oppression which those founders sought to avoid.

Acknowledging that this IS one of the central political battles of your country at this time (along with a small handful of others, ie, campaign finance, military-industrial power, media control) will be, I think, critical to whether or not your country remains a good place or whether it really begins to stink up the world.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:49 am
I think the media should grill every candidate mercilessly about the details and depth of their religious convictions before the election. I don't think most people even know what Christian Fundamentalism is all about. Why do you think the media doesn't attack something so ridiculous as the belief that the bible is the exact literal word of god? Do you think that might affect how people view his leadership abilities and judgment?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:59 am
Kinda funny the Pres. is supposed to be United Methodist - ( I think they are supposed to be known as a more liberal group )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:01 pm
Has anyone told the Methodists?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:13 pm
since I'm trying a new trial avatar - I miss a lot of things looking for my posts - think I'll give it up - auction to the highest bidder???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:55 pm
kickycan, I agree with you about drilling each candidate on their "religion," and how that wil influence their presidency. I like the idea, but we all know that'll never happen.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 05:10 am
Quote:
NATIONAL PRAYER BREAKFAST

On Thursday some of the staff of the Religious Freedom Coalition were fortunate enough to attend the National Prayer Breakfast at the invitation of Congressman Joe Pitts (R-PA). The prayer breakfast was attended for the most part by 2000 Christian preachers and their wives although there were foreign guests. For fifty-two years the National Prayer Breakfast has proclaimed Jesus Christ. The honored speaker of the day, President George W. Bush, spent most of his time talking about Iraq, assuring the assembled Christians that our armed services were constructing mosques in Iraq with our tax dollars, and "showing deference" to mullahs, and that our military stationed there honors Muslim holy days in that nation. At a time when the President has lost support among evangelical Christians he probably should have mentioned the name of our Lord at least once, but he didn't. His remarks were simply given to the wrong people in the wrong place at the wrong time. The loudest applause at the prayer breakfast came for Joe Gibbs and former Congressman J.C. Watts who gave clear Gospel messages of the power of Jesus Christ. Gibbs told of how he accepted Christ at age nine and Watts talked of the "sweet fragrance of Christ's love that overcame the stench of death at Calvary."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 05:20 am
kjvtrue

Could I ask you to follow a normal protocol that we have here...when you introduce a quotation, could you please also add a link to where you got it from.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:04 pm
Quote:
Gibbs told of how he accepted Christ at age nine

See, I knew that Christ guy was up to no good, here we have evidence of him molesting the poor schmuck when he was nine years old! That Christ guy should be put to death...I know, lets nail him to a tree! Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:42 pm
hobit: funny!
0 Replies