revelette2

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 09:00 am
Outrage Mounts Over Trump’s Ridicule of Reporter's Ailment
Quote:

While most Americans are elbow-deep in Thanksgiving stuffing, Donald Trump is hip-deep in recriminations after mocking the disability of a New York Times reporter who failed to corroborate the Republican presidential candidate's claim that Muslims in New Jersey cheered the toppling of the World Trade Center.

The Times and journalists inside and outside the newspaper reacted with outrage after Politico reported Wednesday that Trump, at a South Carolina rally the day before, jerked his arms while imitating Serge Kovaleski, a journalist who suffers from arthrogryposis, a chronic condition that affects his movements. Trump is familiar with Kovaleski because Kovaleski covered the billionaire real estate mogul when he was a reporter for the New York Daily News. The story was corroborated
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 10:07 am
http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/republicans-move-dump-fascist-trump
Wondering if the mainstream Republican party is actually a thing anymore, or if the teabag types and other haters have overrun the joint.
gekko

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 01:51 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
or if the teabag types and other haters have overrun the joint.

Quote:
Liberal hate speech

Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
Liberal hate speech is hate speech, that is, widely provocative speech to denigrate a legally protected class or group of citizens defined by legislation, employed by liberals. Liberals claim to support tolerance, but their use of liberal hate speech tends to put the lie to this claim.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Liberal_hate_speech
Lash

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 02:17 pm
@gekko,
You'd need to actually point out an example of hate speech to make a claim of hate speech. Wink
hawkeye10

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 04:15 pm
Clearly Trump needs an answer for Cruz, who is surging as Carson collapses. I expect it will be some version of " this guy is a proven loser, remember those government shut downs that accomplished basically nothing? Do you want more of that? The guy is a talker not a doer, as your president I will get the deals done for America.".
hawkeye10

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 05:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
U.S. presidential hopeful Donald Trump's support among Republicans has dropped 12 points in less than a week, marking the real estate mogul's biggest decline since he vaulted to the top of the field in July, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Trump was the favorite of 31 percent of Republicans in a rolling poll in the five days ended on Nov. 27. That was down from a peak of 43 percent registered on Nov. 22.

The dip follows criticism of Trump for comments he made in the aftermath of the Nov. 13 Paris attacks that killed 130 people and wounded hundreds more.

Following the attacks, Trump told an NBC News reporter that he would support requiring all Muslims within the United States to be registered to a special database, which his critics have likened to the mandatory registration of Jews in Nazi Germany.

Trump has also been criticized for flailing his arms and distorting his speech as he mocked a New York Times reporter, Serge Kovaleski, who is disabled.

Trump mocked the reporter as he defended his unsubstantiated assertion that during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, he watched on television as "thousands and thousands" of people in New Jersey cheered while the World Trade Center fell.

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-trump-drops-12-percentage-points-poll-reuters-201902861.html

Likely at least partly tracking with reality. Trump needed to tone it down during Nov/Dec , instead he did another ramp up. I am disappointed and I would like to know what he was thinking. I am thinking this happened mostly because he is a workaholic type A who thinks of Christmas and Thanksgiving as 6 hours of two days blocked out for family, but who totally does not know about how people like to feel the warm fuzzies this time of year, often rooted in the familiar. I mean he understands the holidays enough to bring his wife, kids, and wifes parents to an event, but that he does not get the holidays on a deeper level. He did not give us what we wanted, and he will pay for that.

He can get past this but it is going to take I think his first apology, and something like " I am such a focused hard worker that I get dumb on somethings".It is unfortunate for Trump that he made this mistake just as Cruz is turning on the jets. This is the first week in a long time where I can envision a particular person beating Trump, though at this point Cruz is untested. Cruz does have that Snoopy thing going on though, the smart scrappy fella that we want to love.
0 Replies

gekko

Fri 27 Nov, 2015 07:10 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
You'd need to actually point out an example of hate speech

Read the link, you'll find a few.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:43 am
Republican Trump drops 12 percentage points in poll: Reuters/Ipsos

Finally
farmerman

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:52 am
@revelette2,
when he did that impowrsenation of the haqndicapped ppreorter my wife said that that was his HOWARD DEAN "Gone Postal" moment.
I think that he will bounce around but, as the votes get tallied from the adults, he will, once again, become a memory of something weird that could have happened in a world full of folks who have no senses of reality.
Lash

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:40 pm
@revelette2,
Oh, thank goodness!
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
I know, I don't think I was ever so disgusted in my life. My husband who seriously considered voting for him, (ugh, I know)was the one who told me about it, then I looked on the news on the internet, and sure enough...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 02:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
when he did that impowrsenation of the haqndicapped ppreorter my wife said that that was his HOWARD DEAN "Gone Postal" moment.

I do believe that is correct, at least in that was not OK. Does not mean he crashes now.
Builder

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 02:17 pm
I was originally of the opinion that the Don was only in the mix to make Hillary look good (enough) to take the prize.

She's been the perfect tool of the oligarchy in her current role/s.

And this article (from occupydemocrats) is rather damning, on the whole, if somewhat one-eyed; It does, however, highlight the extremism currently infesting the R camp, and how the Don seems to be so popular with that demographic.
Quote:
Republican presidential candidates, in their attempts to win the support of the evangelical vote, have been attacking Planned Parenthood with a ferocity that inspires violence. Disgraced ex-CEO of HP Carly Fiornia and radical Christian extremist Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) in particular have been leading a campaign of atrocious lies and vile slander against one of America’s most important healthcare providers. Using the heavily misleading videos to assert that Planned Parenthood is harvesting the organs of children is tantamount to putting out a fatwa out on them, inciting this kind of extreme reaction among the overzealous looking for an excuse to bring harm to others.

I am not anti-gun ownership, but this has a ring of truth to it;
Quote:
In case anyone was wondering how the Republican presidential candidates feel about the shooting that took place in a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood earlier today, their silence says it all. Not a single Republican candidate has made any kind of statement, ten hours after it began. No empty calls for prayers or even distasteful victim-shaming pro-gun rhetoric. Marco Rubio somehow found time to tweet about sales in his campaign shop and Donald Trump decided this was a good enough time as any to release a statement insulting a disabled journalist for asking too many questions. Democratic candidates Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have both expressed their support for Planned Parenthood and their condolences for the victims.

It’s unsurprising, unfortunately. The Republican candidates, financially beholden to the firearms lobby and the National Rifle Association, have always avoided expressing any kind of empathy or respect for the victims of mass shootings. Their usual response includes calls for looser gun regulations, vague appeals to “prayer,” and shamefully begging the left to stop “politicizing a tragedy,” as if a person murdering his fellow man in cold blood was some kind of unpreventable disaster like a landslide or a hurricane.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 02:44 pm
Trump is going to talk about this tonight. It appears his line is that he loves handicapped people and did not remember that this reporter is handicapped, which is not good enough (especially since it is highly unlikely to be the truth) . There needs to be an apology, or something very close to one.
hawkeye10

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
At a Tuesday rally in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Trump had criticized Kovaleski for walking back a story he wrote after Sept. 11, 2001, that said New Jersey police had detained people celebrating the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. During his speech, Trump waved his arms in an imitation of Kovaleski, saying "the poor guy. You ought to see this guy. 'Oh, I don't know what I said! Ah, I don't remember!'"

After later receiving flak for the mocking impression, Trump claimed that he had "no idea" who Kovaleski was and had no clue about "what he looks like or his level of intelligence."

"I don't know if he is J.J. Watt or Muhammad Ali in his prime --- or somebody of less athletic or physical ability. I know nothing about him other than I have great respect for the way he wrote the story, on September 18, 2001, and in particular the paragraph talking about Muslims and tailgate parties taking place in New Jersey," Trump said Thursday in a statement. He added, "despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him."

In an earlier statement, the business mogul demanded an apology from the New York Times after a spokesperson for the newspaper called his mocking impersonation "outrageous."

But Kovaleski, in an interview with the Times, said he and Trump "were on a first-name basis for years," when the reporter worked for the New York Daily News from 1987 to 1993.

"I've interviewed him in his office," Kovaleski said. "I've talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I've interacted with him."

Speaking with the Daily News, Kovaleski also recalled an incident from 1989, when he covered the launch of Trump's airline and spent an entire day with the billionaire businessman. Later, after Kovaleski published a report that included details of the airline's first flight delay, Trump called the journalist and "started screaming over the speakerphone about what a piece of s--- the story was."

On Friday, Trump acknowledged that he "may have met him," but he didn't remember it.

"He made no impression on me," the GOP candidate said in a statement. "I have done many day in the life stories with reporters - the entire day in the life usually last for a very short period as far as actual reporting goes."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-to-speak-out-on-disabled-americans-at-florida-rally/

A good rake or rogue can always do the walk back when then go too far so long as the spell is not broken, but Trump has well boxed himself this time. We shall see what he comes up with. I think he made a promise to himself to never apologize for anything on the trail but I dont know of another option. THen Again Trump may simply be better at this that I am, he might know a way.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 03:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I do believe that is correct, at least in that was not OK. Does not mean he crashes now.

You still are of the opinion that any person who think like Trump does in order to do what he just did in connection to the reporter should be President of the US?

Trump is a sick asshole and should never be allowed in that office or even near that office.
hawkeye10

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 03:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
You still think of the opinion that any person who think like Trump does in order to do what he just did in connection to the reporter should be President of the US?

I cant figure out what you are saying. Is that you or is it me?

I think that Trump messed up, he went to far, this is the first time that he has said something that went too far, and I was expecting him to make a correction today, which it appears he did not do. Trump seems to think that he can move on and forget it, that we will forget it, but I dont think that is right. The fact that Trump clearly thinks that he can get away with mocking the physically challenged shows I think that he is too cocooned. I am not particularly concerned with the cruelty angle, with the alledge story that this give us a window into the cruelty of Trump. I dont think he is cruel. But a guy who does not know where the line is too often cant be our leader, this incident is a problem for me. We see what the rest of America thinks this week when the polls come in.
BillRM

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 04:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think that Trump messed up, he went to far, this is the first time that he has said something that went too far

First I disagree with you that this is the first time he went too far but leaving that aside the very fact that his mental processes would resulted in such behaviors tell me, no matter how he spin it afterward, that he is unfit for office.
hawkeye10

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 04:13 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I think that Trump messed up, he went to far, this is the first time that he has said something that went too far

First I disagree with you that this is the first time he went too far but leaving that aside the very fact that his mental processes would resulted in such behaviors tell me, no matter how he spin it afterward, that he is unfit for office.

I think as far as Trump was thinking he was attacking the media, attacking that they hired a guy who is so "infirm". The fact that Trump thought this was OK is a problem. The fact that he did not understand in the first week that he had made a mistake and did not make a correction, a real one..... not another denial that rings as a lie, is another problem. So Trump made in my opinion two huge tactical mistakes in one week, and he has so painted himself into a corner that I dont see how he gets out, but I am waiting to see what he does, if anything. I doubt very much that Trump has anything against the guy, or that he is cruel, it was a means to an end for him, but he judged poorly. It it is his poor judgement here that causes me to question his fitness for the job. A good guy apologizes when the need calls, but he is not willing to do it so far.

Of course it must be noted that Hillary has the exact same problem. She did a mock apology last week saying that she will never use the term "Illegal immigrant" again, but adopting leftist language is not apologizing for a misdeed, it is a move to the left.
gekko

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
Obama survived the Special Olympic joke.
0 Replies