DrewDad

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 12:25 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Racists come in all shades - it's a state of mind. coupled with prejudgnments about classes of individual people. There are panderers on all sides of these stupid divides.

That's a pretty lame attempt to create a false equivalency....
cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 12:29 pm
@georgeob1,
The factual evidence is that Bill earned millions from speeches. That's still legal in this country.
Even George Bush earned $15 million.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/05/20/george-w-bushs-15-million-speech-payday.html
georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 01:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Who said it was illegal????

Now having a large retinue personal service employees simultaneously on the payroll of family trusts, consulting companies operated by those trusta and the federal government , occasionally all at the same time .... that's another story
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 01:43 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I don't think the equivalency is false at all. Apparently you do. On what conceivable basis do you assert that one person'r prejudices are materially any different from another?
Blickers

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Racists come in all shades - it's a state of mind. coupled with prejudgnments about classes of individual people. There are panderers on all sides of these stupid divides.

Nice defense of a Trump supporter who said it was okay for Trump not to rent apartments to blacks because a lot of people don't like blacks, so it could hurt his business.

The idea that a black person should have the right to find a place to live like anyone else does not make it onto your mental radar.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 01:57 pm
@georgeob1,
Facts and figures depress you? Glad to know that. Can't take the truth, cast aspersion on the messenger. Mature of you, Georgie Porgie.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 02:21 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160913-pence-will-bash-women-and-gays-but-not-racists_zpsmayyxg6e.jpg
DrewDad

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 02:30 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

I don't think the equivalency is false at all. Apparently you do. On what conceivable basis do you assert that one person'r prejudices are materially any different from another?

Their words and actions.

snood

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 03:16 pm
@DrewDad,
It's really something how the right tries to draw equivalence between the two parties, whenever something negative is pointed out about the GOP.

Any objective person looking at something specific like how many blatantly racist and profane things can be heard in the crowds of the respective parties' rallies would very easily see that there is more of that kind of behavior at Trump rallies than at Hillary's.

Anyone honest would admit that.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 03:33 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Nice defense of a Trump supporter who said it was okay for Trump not to rent apartments to blacks because a lot of people don't like blacks, so it could hurt his business.

The idea that a black person should have the right to find a place to live like anyone else does not make it onto your mental radar.

There are two reasons why a landlord would not rent to blacks:

1) The landlord is a bigot.
2) Black people, in general, are poor risk tenants.

Even assuming #2 can be proven to be true, it doesn't excuse discrimination on the basis of race because there are other ways to determine if a person is a high-risk tenant (credit checks for one) and it is unfair to assume that every black person attempting to rent a place in the building fits the general profile, however it is not indicative of racism. Over-reliance on anecdotal experience, but not, necessarily, racism.

Wait...the poster (whom you seem to find so deplorable) made me realize there might be a third reason

3) There are a lot of white racist tenants in the building and they might leave if a unit was rented to a black person.

Cowardly perhaps but not racist. Not standing up to racists, doesn't make you a racist.

So it's entirely possible that Trump's father was making a business decision. Perhaps a crass and ill-informed decision, but not proof of racism.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:11 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote georgeob1:
Quote:

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I have made no such assertions about Trump rentals and have no knowledge of these events or even interest in them.

You have no idea what I think or don't think.
georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:36 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I don't think it's wise to assume because people hold different views they believe they are somehow superior.
I agree it is wise not to make such an assumption. However when the words and actions of an individual or group suggest a reflexive contempt for all who see things differently from themselves then the conclusion that they somehow see themselves as superior is surely warranted.
georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:42 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Their words and actions.

Not sure what you mean here. While the prejudice of (say) an Armenaian who hates all Turks is different from that of a Turk who hates all Armenians, the facts of the prejudiced nature of both are the same - both have the same failing. That was my meaning.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

I don't think it's wise to assume because people hold different views they believe they are somehow superior.
I agree it is wise not to make such an assumption. However when the words and actions of an individual or group suggest a reflexive contempt for all who see things differently from themselves then the conclusion that they somehow see themselves as superior is surely warranted.

You are being too hard on yourself.
georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:53 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

It's really something how the right tries to draw equivalence between the two parties, whenever something negative is pointed out about the GOP.

Any objective person looking at something specific like how many blatantly racist and profane things can be heard in the crowds of the respective parties' rallies would very easily see that there is more of that kind of behavior at Trump rallies than at Hillary's.

Anyone honest would admit that.

I've never attended a rally for either and have only seen snippets of both on TV. Hillary's recent characterizations of the "deplorables" who she said constitute half of Trump's supporters sounded a bit sweepingly judgmental and prejudiced to me. How about you?

Our president appears to use the equivalence argument quite frequently himself whenever any positive statements are made about our country
georgeob1

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:55 pm
@glitterbag,
I can take it.
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:56 pm
New York attorney general has opened investigation into Trump Foundation: Politico
cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 06:00 pm
@georgeob1,
A leader like Trump who has proven he is a textbook racist bigot doesn't need any support from the public.

Ivanka just spoke for her father, and supported the idea of childcare for working mothers, but there's a huge problem with this. Her own company doesn't provide maternity leave.

Like daughter, like father.

Quote:
MPW MOST POWERFUL WOMEN
The Company That Makes Ivanka Trump Clothing Doesn't Offer Paid Maternity Leave
by Valentina Zarya @valzarya AUGUST 8, 2016, 4:28 PM EDT
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 06:52 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I've never attended a rally for either and have only seen snippets of both on TV. Hillary's recent characterizations of the "deplorables" who she said constitute half of Trump's supporters sounded a bit sweepingly judgmental and prejudiced to me. How about you?

[/quote]

Speaking as another snooty uppity over-educated female who dreams she might on some distant day be 'equal' but separate to more capable males, I think Hillary was soft on the deplorables. Her opposition actually believes they can continue to generate baseless outrage without any pushback. What a bunch of dopes. Only a moron thinks like that. The deplorables are drunk on the fumes of intolerance. Only a sissy would complain that someone hit back.
roger

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 06:57 pm
@revelette2,
Well and good, but I have to say I'm really tired of stories that repeat the headline, and nothing more.
0 Replies