bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
I loved Chicago and it was a safe place to live.
izzythepush

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:46 am
@bobsal u1553115,
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:38 am
What tRump wants to kick out of the US:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Coid4n2WgAIA_ti.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoiQyVGVYAIvb9_.jpg

Father of Fallen Muslim American War Hero to Trump: “You Have Sacrificed Nothing!”

By Jeremy Stahl
584274482-khizr-khan-father-of-deceased-muslim-u-s-soldier
Khizr Khan, father of deceased Muslim American soldier Humayun S.M. Khan, holds up a booklet of the Constitution, offering it to Donald Trump.

One of the finest and most damning addresses of the Democratic National Convention was delivered on Thursday night by one of the event’s lowest profile speakers. Khizr Khan addressed the Philadelphia crowd to recount the story of his son Humayun Khan, a Muslim American soldier who was killed while serving in Iraq in 2004.

Khizr Khan painted a portrait of heroism, patriotism, bravery, and sacrifice—one that stood in stark contrast to the invidious message Donald Trump has issued to describe American Muslims and the unconstitutional religious test he has offered to bar Muslim immigrants from entering this country. Quite simply, Khan put Donald Trump to shame.

“Our son Humayun had dreams … of being a military lawyer, but he put those dreams aside the day he sacrificed his life to save the lives of his fellow soldiers,” Khan told the convention. “Hillary Clinton was right when she called my son ‘the best of America.’ If it was up to Donald Trump, he never would have been in America.”

Humayun Khan was born in the United Arab Emirates and immigrated to the U.S. as a small child, growing up in Maryland and attending college at the University of Virginia. He was a 27-year-old Army captain when he was inspecting the gates of his camp in Baquba, Iraq, and a speeding vehicle approached. Khan told his fellow soldiers to hit the ground and he signaled at the vehicle to stop. He took 10 steps toward the vehicle, which had in it two suicide bombers and a large amount of explosives. The car exploded, injuring 10 of his fellow soldiers and killing Khan. The captain was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, and Khizr Khan believes his son’s actions saved the lives of many of his fellow soldiers.

“We still wonder what made him take those 10 steps,” Khan’s father has said in the past to the web site Vocativ. “Maybe that’s the point where all the values, all the service to country, all the things he learned in this country kicked in. It was those values that made him take those 10 steps. Those 10 steps told us we did not make [a] mistake in moving to this country.”

In the convention hall this message was pointed sharply at Trump, who has called for a full ban on Muslim immigrants (he recently said the ban would be based on specific territories, but his campaign has said his position hasn’t changed). After the Orlando attack, Trump also accused Muslim Americans broadly of refusing to expose terrorists in their midst.

Khan’s message to Trump was more damning than anything delivered by any previous speaker at the DNC thus far.

“Donald Trump, you are asking Americans to trust you with their future. Let me ask you: Have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy,” Khan said, pulling out a pocket Constitution as the crowd erupted in applause.

“In this document, look for the words liberty and equal protection of law. Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery? Go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending [the] United States of America. You’ll see, all faiths, genders, and ethnicities. You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

It was this moment that should make every Republican politician who opposes that Muslim ban and still supports Donald Trump to feel a sharp, stabbing sense of shame.

Read more Slate coverage of the 2016 campaign.

Jeremy Stahl is a Slate senior editor. You can follow him on Twitter.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:18 am
U.S. Intelligence Officials Don’t Trust Trump With Classified Briefing
Source: Mediaite

U.S. intelligence officials are preparing to deliver classified briefings to both major party presidential candidates, despite top spies’ distrust of Donald Trump, according to a report in The Washington Post.

One senior intelligence official told the Post‘s Greg Miller that he would refuse to brief Trump. “He’s been so uninterested in the truth and so reckless with it when he sees it,” he said.

<...>

The report comes days after Trump publicly encouraged the Kremlin to release hacked State Department emails. (The reality TV star later said he was being “sarcastic.”)

Intelligence officials were wary of sharing information with Trump even before he made those comments. In June, eight senior security officials told Reuters they were uneasy with delivering briefings to Trump, worried that his habit of making impulsive and erratic statements about foreign policy could imperil national security.

Read more: http://www.mediaite.com/online/u-s-intelligence-officials-dont-trust-trump-with-classified-briefing/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:01 am
This sums up the right wing to a T.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/13614957_1088467667905203_8653664126999606754_n.jpg?oh=d1b57c5488bad248d4b131b1ecc2b6dc&oe=581A79F0
blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
That's a good cartoon. Within the last couple of days, William Bennett said (paraphrasing from memory) "In America, people can are no longer at liberty to express their opinions".

This is a very interesting phenomenon, for me at least. On the right, there are countless books on the subject where the political ideas that are being suppressed are elucidated in detail.

A comparable phenomenon is the commonplace claim/belief that Christian ideas and Christian communities are under attack to the point that those faith communities and even the faith itself are threatened - right this minute - with extinction by humanists and atheists. Meanwhile, just outside these believers' eyeballs are hundreds of thousands of Christian churches with active congregations spread across every American city and town.
izzythepush

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:20 am
@blatham,
John Oliver said something similar that the Republican message is feelings are the same as facts. Homicide being a prime example, it's gone down but what's important is how people feel it's gone up.
Blickers

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:59 am
@revelette2,
Quote revellette:
Quote:
As a matter of curiosity, why would Bloomberg be the "little guy?"

Michael Bloomberg is only 5'8", (possibly less}, and Trump is 6'2". And they know each other. Compare:

https://images.newrepublic.com/95c23402fb94654750ef54f5c9435279f147ea88.jpeg?w=600&q=65&dpi=1&fm=pjpg&h=400
revelette2

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:22 am
@Blickers,
Oh, I wonder how many people knew who Trump was talking about when he said the "little guy?"
Blickers

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:26 am
@izzythepush,
Quote Izzy:
Quote:
John Oliver said something similar that the Republican message is feelings are the same as facts. Homicide being a prime example, it's gone down but what's important is how people feel it's gone up.

Yes, in all the supposed "information explosion" the internet and mass communication was supposed to be, it mostly seems to be facts that are honed and culled to push a political philosophy. I've presented a few conservatives online with the fact that we are only half as likely to get murdered as we were 30 years ago, and they wouldn't accept it.

I ran into one conservative on a message board and confronted him with the statistics, and after a few posts back and forth he was down to demanding that I tell him why he feels more unsafe now than before Obama took office, (the murder rate has gone down under Obama, not 50% down but down). He actually stuck to this position, that I had to tell him why he feels the way he does. Finally, after gathering from his posts that the guy was at least in his fifties if not older, I posted, "You feel less safe now than when Obama took office because you're seven years older now than when Obama took office and between arthritis and other stuff you can't do physically what you used to be able to do". I didn't get a return post after that.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:27 am
I read a kind of interesting piece from a conservative who doesn't support Trump.

Quote:
Perhaps the hardest thing to do in contemporary American politics is to imagine how the world looks from the other side. I’ve made no secret of why, as a Republican, I oppose Donald Trump and what he stands for. But I’ve also been talking to his supporters and advisors, trying to understand how they see and hear the same things that I do, and draw such very different conclusions. What follows isn’t a transcription—it’s a synthesis of the conversations I’ve had, and the insights I’ve gleaned, presented in the voice of an imagined Trump supporter.

David Frum: Why Trump Supporters Think He'll Win
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:30 am
@revelette2,
Quote revellette:
Quote:
Oh, I wonder how many people knew who Trump was talking about when he said the "little guy?"

Perhaps not that many. Bloomberg is famous, but unless you pay attention to New York City news, either by living near there or being involved in finance, arts or some other activity centered there, you probably wouldn't know about his being short. He's not super short, anyway.
revelette2

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:55 am
@Blickers,
Perhaps more people than I thought, apparently he referred to Bloomberg as "little" before. Robert Gentel opened the following thread:

Pence: 'Name Calling' Has No Place in Politics

Quote:
Pence has promised to run a campaign free from personal attacks. But his comments back up against Trump’s use of derogatory nicknames over the last year including: "Little Michael Bloomberg", "Crooked Hillary" [Clinton], "Corrupt [Tim] Kaine", "Liddle Marco [Rubio]", "Lyin' Ted" [Cruz], "Crazy Bernie" [Sanders], "Goofy" [Elizabeth Warren] and "Low Energy Jeb" [Bush].

I remember a quote from the Titanic, where Rose was quoting Freud about Man's obsession with size being a sign of insecurity about a part of their body.

Quote:
Molly Brown: [to the group who are dining at the same table] Hey, uh, who thought of the name Titanic? Was it you, Bruce?

Ismay: Yes, actually. I wanted to convey sheer size, and size means stability, luxury, and above all, strength.

Rose: Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Ismay? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.

Ruth: [whispering] What's gotten into you?

Rose: Excuse me.

[She rises and leaves]

Ruth: I do apologize.

Molly Brown: She's a pistol, Cal! Hope you can handle her.

Cal Hockley: Well, I may have to start minding what she reads from now on, won't I, Mrs. Brown?

Ismay: Freud? Who is he? Is he a passenger?

source
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
There is no such thing as a Gun Show loophole

Then you've never been to a Texas gun show, something I've done any number of times. You don't need to be a dealer to show. And as you well know - anything goes between private sellers and buyers whether its in a gun show, online, from a newspaper ad or word of mouth.

Wrong again I lived in Texas for many years... You have no concept of what I'm talking about therefore it's hard to respond to you let me see if I can explain it so even you can understand when they use the phrase Gun Show loophole they mean any private sale. The only one who really is in favor stopping Private Sales other than the gun grabbers are people who have federal firearms licenses so they can charge for the transfer. If I own something and it's not against the law to own it I should have the right to sell it without any restriction.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
Tell that to the close to 3,500 people that have been murdered since Obama took office.

Too bad there was no gun control laws, right?

Why are you being so disingenuous or are you admitting to being obtuse? We don't need more gun control laws we need to have the ones on the books enforced how about that
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 01:44 pm
@giujohn,
Quote giujohn:
Quote:
The 3500 people that were murdered in Chicago since Obama took office is in an area that has the strictest gun laws in the country...

Under Reagan, with fewer gun laws, almost 6,000 people were murdered in Chicago.

Murders In Chicago Under Reagan
1981: 877
1982: 668
1983: 729
1984: 741
1985: 666
1986: 744
1987: 691
1988: 660
Total: 5,776

Murders in Chicago Under Obama
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 516
2013: 441
2014: 432
2015: 488
2016: 379
Total: 3,586

cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 01:48 pm
@Blickers,
It's good to see any example that gun laws do make a difference.

About Donald Trump; any truth is this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/05/27/donald-trumps-demographic-problem-visualized/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:24 pm
Donald Trump got five deferments to stay out of active duty. He now wants to become CIC; to torture and kill families of enemies. How and why do so many Americans support this buffoon?
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/4170093-155/letter-trumps-military-record-speaks-for

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-the-military-would-not-refuse-my-orders-even-if-they-consider-them-illegal/
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:57 pm
@Blickers,
So let me see if I have this straight... You're saying that the gun laws in Chicago during the Reagan Administration were not restrictive and therefore there were close to 6000 murders but since the laws became more restrictive there are about 2,500 less murders... is that your point?
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:59 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Where do you live Giu, I got my FOID card in 20 days. Maybe they had to check you closer than normal?

You didn't answer my question is your FOID card concealed permit?