Fri 1 Apr, 2016 06:17 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 06:27 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/BeeleN/2016/BeeleN20160330_low.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 12:28 pm
This is only the beginning: Nate Silver explains how Donald Trump has “hacked the system”

This is only the beginning: Nate Silver explains how Donald Trump has “hacked the system” and created a roadmap for future political con men

by Sean Illing at Salon

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/31/this_is_only_the_beginning_nate_silver_explains_how_donald_trump_has_hacked_the_system_and_created_a_roadmap_for_future_political_con_men/

"SNIP..............

On Wednesday, Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight.com dove a little deeper into the Trump coverage, trying to understand how this happened. “Trump has been able to disrupt the news pretty much any time he wants,” Silver wrote, “whether by being newsworthy, offensive, salacious or entertaining. The media has almost always played along.”

Of course, the press has played along – it can’t do otherwise. A corporatized media has turned citizens into consumers, and politicians into products. Trump understands this and he acts accordingly – it’s really quite simple. His whole career has been about brand management, which is now all the training a national politician needs.

Trump’s media-centric strategy has been wildly successful. He’s received what amounts to $1.9 billion in TV coverage despite having spent only $10 million on paid advertising. “By contrast,” Silver notes, “Trump’s Republican rivals combined have received slightly less than $1.2 billion worth of television coverage, meaning that Trump has been the subject of the clear majority (62 percent) of candidate-focused TV coverage.”

Silver’s broader conclusion is that Trump has “hacked the system,” which is to say he’s exploited a broken process with a perverse incentive structure. He writes:

“Put another way, Trump has hacked the system and exposed the weaknesses in American political institutions. He’s uncovered profound flaws in the Republican Party. He’s demonstrated that third-rail issues like racism and nationalism can still be a potent political force. He’s exploited the media’s goodwill and taken advantage of the lack of trust the American public has in journalism. Trump may go away – he’s not assured of winning the GOP nomination, and he’ll be an underdog in November if he does – but the problems he’s exposed were years in the making, and they’ll take years to sort out.”

.................SNIP"
cicerone imposter

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
All this "other stuff" about Trump are non-issues when he's already made his bigotry clear. Building a wall and banning all Muslims will not go away no matter what else he wishes to say. Bigots has no place in our government.
The title of this thread is already true: he's president and ceo of all his companies, and it should stay that way.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bill Clinton should have let Trump and his bankster, Chase, fail.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Bigots has no place in our government

LOL you need to read some American history books.
cicerone imposter

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:00 pm
@BillRM,
You don't understand English very well. Bigots has no place in our government, but other bigots will vote them into office. If you don't understand why bigots do not belong in government, there's nothing I can say to educate you.
BillRM

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
An it would appear that none of those fifty books your had read in your lifetime concern logic.

But as long as someone can win elections he will have a place at the table.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:18 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/FellP/2016/FellP20160401_low.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:43 am
I don't think Obama can do the right thing in this case.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/01/politics/obama-nuclear-summit-isis/index.html

He has spoken out against Trump, and I agree with everything he said, but if part of Trump's strength comes from bigoted hatred of Obama - and Obama positions himself in public opposition to Trump - doesn't it strengthen Trump?

Considering this, shouldn't Obama avoid public narrowed negative focus against Trump? Or not?

Difficult spot to find himself in.

Edit: Recent polls show Trump's popularity failing. I wouldn't want Obama's efforts to boost him.

revelette2

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:07 am
@Lash,
Obama popularity has been rising, it seems the closer he gets to leaving, the more people are beginning to like him. What Obama said made a lot of sense as usual. I doubt Obama talking is going to raise Trump's standing with established republicans who are scared to death Trump is going to destroy their party. The bigoted end of GOP party which started with the Tea partiers, will love Trump and hate Obama no matter what, his speech was not directed towards them but rather the established republicans. I believe those republicans will do everything in their considerable power to stop Trump at the convention if they have to, even if it does cause a riot.

Lash

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:16 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
The bigoted end of GOP party which started with the Tea partiers, will love Trump and hate Obama no matter what, his speech was not directed towards them but rather the established republicans.

No matter who you deem Obama's speech was "directed towards," we all see it and hear it. The question was: Will Obama adding in against Trump strengthen Trump's support?

engineer

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:23 am
@Lash,
I doubt it. I think the demographic that is very anti-Obama and on the fence about Trump is very small. Those who are for Trump all the way aren't going to be swayed. Those against Trump aren't going to be swayed. It might be more of a speech to our foreign allies who are scratching their heads over the US infatuation with Trump.
Lash

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:29 am
@engineer,
I hope you're right. I was just so buoyed by Trump's recent and precipitous decline - and then opened the news this morning and saw O's comments - and cringed that it could have an undesired effect.

But, I think your reasoning makes sense.

I'm also a little demoralized that maybe his strength is in the south primarily. Maybe his decline isn't based on a falling off of popularity, but the location of the contests...?
bobsal u1553115

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:29 am
@engineer,
I agree. Trump's already rounded up his hardcore and it won't get any larger.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:31 am
@Lash,
We all need to point out Emporor Trump's naked. The President can't help or hurt Trump, but all of us need to speak out on it.
Lash

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You're right, of course. I might be more sensitive to the possible negative effect because I live among lunatic Obama haters, and know how O's anti-Trump comments will be received.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:06 am
@Lash,
Simply put, no.
cicerone imposter

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:28 am
@revelette2,
Trump and the black vote.
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-and-the-black-vote/
12%.
BillRM

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am shook that Trump could get any black votes even 12 percents of the black votes or hell even one percent for that matter.