BillRM

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 04:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The influences were many.

True but of all those many influences Rome and the Roman Republics stood high indeed.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Yes, but what do you do when the subject is forced upon you?

Ignore it. It is impossible to prove your intelligence to someone who is markedly stupider than you are.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:21 am
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:37 pm
I'm clearly a dummy, as I left the one IQ test ever given in a class of mine and skipped a whole page to go with an early finishing classmate out for a soda. So much for that.

Meantime, I have thought that I had posted this article on Trump, but I think I put off doing it to get some work done. I looked around and couldn't find it here, so....

This is fairly enlightening on the Earlier Life of Trump and its continuation:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/28/i-showered-with-donald-trump-at-military-school.html
izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:01 am
@ossobuco,
The only people I've known who go on about their high IQs are those who have no other qualifications.
BillRM

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 06:07 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
who have no other qualifications.

Such as a four years engineering degree and 33 years working in the field?
0 Replies

snood

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm
Trump doing a surprise meeting with Reince Preibus RNC Chair. First thought I had was maybe he's going to drop out.
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:17 pm
http://www.vox.com/2016/3/31/11336884/donald-trump-polls-winning

Quote:
Donald Trump loves to brag that he's ahead of Hillary Clinton in the polls. "I beat Hillary Clinton in many polls," he repeatedly insisted at a debate earlier this month.

Here on planet Earth, that isn't true or even close to true. In 33 general election polls tracked by HuffPost Pollster over the past two months, Trump has led Clinton in just one.

Quote:
Trump now trails Clinton by 9 points in the HuffPost Pollster polling average and by 11.2 points in RealClearPolitics' average — and he's behind Bernie Sanders by even more in both. Any of these showings from Trump would be the weakest performance from a major party nominee in the past 20 years.

The trendlines for the billionaire are terrible too. Back during the waning months of 2015, he regularly came within a few points of both Clinton and Sanders. But historically, polls conducted so far in advance have been essentially meaningless.

Crucially, Trump's decline has happened just when these polls actually start to mean something. In newer polls, Trump almost never comes close to either Clinton or Sanders anymore. And in past races, changes in general election polling that have occurred during this period of the campaign have often ended up sticking.

"Were this a few months ago, I'd say, 'What's the big deal?'" says Christopher Wlezien, a political science professor at the University of Texas. "But polls today are much more meaningful than they were 90 days ago. And the polls today are much less favorable for Trump."

0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:19 pm
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/the-trump-treadmill/476133/

Quote:
Trump’s unreserved defense this week of his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, after he was charged with battery against a female reporter, continues this pattern. Both in the CNN town hall Tuesday, and a Today show appearance Wednesday, Trump praised Lewandowski, belittled the reporter, and even suggested he might pursue legal action against her. Amid that torrent of words, the one thing Trump did not say in either interview was that he believed it was categorically wrong for a man to use physical force against a woman. Such an omission may help explain why Trump’s unfavorable rating among all women registered voters reached a stratospheric 73 percent in the latest CNN/ORC national poll.
maporsche

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:29 pm
Trump is catching a lot of heat (rightfully so, IMO) about his comments about women and/or doctors being punished if they perform abortions if/when they become illegal.

I get why pro-choice people would be inflamed, but I'm sort of at a loss as to why the republicans and especially those most anti-abortion are getting so pissed.

I mean, if abortion is made illegal across the land, and a woman has an abortion through a doctor or self-inflicted....wouldn't there have to be some sort of punishment??
BillRM

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
That he believed it was categorically wrong for a man to use physical force against a woman.

Interest idea in relationship to the DOD had just open all combats roles to women and two of the naval seals are women.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 01:43 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Trump doing a surprise meeting with Reince Preibus RNC Chair. First thought I had was maybe he's going to drop out.

Shoot. No such luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 02:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
but I'm sort of at a loss as to why the republicans and especially those most anti-abortion are getting so pissed.

my guess is that they don't want attention on this right now -if it revs up the pro-choice side and brings out the vote ... kaboom
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:00 pm
@maporsche,
If illegal it would be breaking a law?
snood

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:31 pm
@RABEL222,
This whole thing with Trump supposedly making a big faux pas by saying the woman who has an abortion should be punished has me a little confused.

Okay, so - the right wing Republican "pro-lifers" are for repealing Roe V. Wade. If they were to achieve that, it would make abortion illegal. If a woman then broke the law by getting an abortion, there would necessarily be, in our system of justice, a penalty or punishment if you will for the crime.

If you just follow pro-lifers' reasoning to it's very simple logical end, aren't they now, and haven't they always been, promoting the same thing that Trump is being castigated for proposing?
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:34 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Okay, so - the right wing Republican "pro-lifers" are for repealing Roe V. Wade.

I'll have to look it up but I think I just heard something about how small that group is . It's like gay marriage - no one's talking about it anymore.
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:40 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.gallup.com/poll/183434/americans-choose-pro-choice-first-time-seven-years.aspx

Quote:
, the broader liberal shift in Americans' ideology of late could mean the recent pro-choice expansion has some staying power.

Quote:
The trends by age and party ID show a similar pattern, with support for the pro-choice label dipping among all age and party groups in 2012, but subsequently returning to 2008 levels or higher.

The biggest change by age since 2001 is that middle-aged and older Americans are more likely to be pro-choice today,

from a linked poll

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183386/social-ideology-left-catches-right.aspx

Quote:
Thirty-one percent of Americans describe their views on social issues as generally liberal, matching the percentage who identify as social conservatives for the first time in Gallup records dating back to 1999.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

snood wrote:
Okay, so - the right wing Republican "pro-lifers" are for repealing Roe V. Wade.

I'll have to look it up but I think I just heard something about how small that group is . It's like gay marriage - no one's talking about it anymore.

Are you saying the pro-lifers are a small group, or that only a small group is actively talking about pro-life stuff?
ehBeth

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 08:11 pm
@snood,
It looks to be a shrinking group overall - with the loudest group shrinking most.

If it's anything like the gay rights issue, it'll be like Canada in 15 years with no one thinking it's even something to discuss (on a political level).
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 Apr, 2016 05:48 am
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160331-trump-clarifies-position-on-abortion_zpsdr3c41c1.jpg

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-0/p296x100/12512350_10106157436629568_8653090826919645279_n.jpg?oh=75ef6e1b490599e99b026b3123160948&oe=57BDF918
0 Replies