Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:14 am
@engineer,
Kasich has dark horse, convention-fighting powers, I think. He's the only one being ordained by frightened Ds and thinking Rs as a viable president.

I bet he stays in to convention no matter what happens during the primaries. Rubio had that possible patina before the robot moment - and his schoolboy antics durijg the latest debate enhanced his not-ready-for-prime time immaturity for a lot of people.

Looks like Kasich is the only hope against Trump and crazy Cruz.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:54 am
@Lash,
I had my own run in with her a while back, still haven't forgotten about it. Kind of came out of nowhere.

I have serious doubts Kasich has any dark horse convention qualities. If the big dogs in the republican convention have their way, they will get Cruz the nomination.
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:05 am
@revelette2,
To the first part of your comment, I think late night angry drinking is the culprit...

To the second, I have to admit I stopped paying attention to politics for a while during the emergence of the Tea Party phenomenon, but Cruz is their darling - and he sort of rode the crest of that wave during the government shutdown... Wasn't he Obama's primary nemesis?

So, I'd think the only thing worse than a Hitlerian blowhard like Trump might be a nutty religionist guy who's really led the crusade that has weakened the Republican party so effectively - and made them susceptible to this Trump take-over.

I think the R establishment is going to start throwing their weight behind an acceptable moderate. I think McCain came out for Kasich.

I'll try to find it.
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:13 am
@Lash,
I was mistaken. McCain's not endorsing during the primary...and although he seems like the elder statesman left standing, I'm not sure the Republican infrastructure left standing recognizes him as such.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-mccain-wont-endorse-a-candidate-in-gop-primary/
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:18 am
@Lash,
If the more conservative articles I have been reading (through left wing sites I admit it) are correct there is a concerted effort to stop Trump and get behind Cruz. Republicans don't care about doing the smart thing, they have their values and think they can manipulate and force their way to enforce them and have been largely successful with local elections and primaries until now with Trump. To top it all off, it is not his offensiveness which is the problem for them, they think he is not a true conservative from what I understand.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:44 am
@spooky24,
It is dangerous for minorities when a "charismatic leader" espouses a general disrespect for a large group of people based on their religion, nation of origin, or other identifying characteristics. Trump has done this to Mexicans, Muslims, disabled people, blacks. and Asians. As a result, his rallies have turned into mob scenes where members of these groups are physically attacked.

Here is a list of some of the things he's done and said:

It has been more than a quarter century since Trump took out ads in New York newspapers calling for the death penalty for “criminals of every age” after five black and Latino teens were implicated in the Central Park jogger case. The young men, convicted and imprisoned, were later cleared by DNA evidence and the confession of a serial rapist – and Trump called their wrongful-conviction settlement a “disgrace.” (Because he wanted them burned. He has no value for blacks and Latinos.)

Since then, Trump led the “birther” movement challenging President Obama’s standing as a natural-born American;
used various vulgar expressions to refer to women;
spoke of Mexico sending rapists and other criminals across the border;
called for rounding up and deporting 11 million illegal immigrants;
had high-profile spats with prominent Latino journalists and news outlets; (deeply insulting their culture. I was embarrassed.)
mocked Asian accents;
let stand a charge made in his presence that Obama is a Muslim and that Muslims are a “problem” in America;
embraced the notion of forcing Muslims to register in a database;
falsely claimed thousands of Muslims celebrated the 9/11 attacks in New Jersey;
tweeted bogus statistics asserting that most killings of whites are done by blacks;
approved of the roughing up of a black demonstrator at one of his events;
and publicly mocked the movements of New York Times (and former Washington Post) journalist Serge Kovaleski, who has a chronic condition limiting mobility.

Hitler didn't like these groups, either.

You can see video of Trump mocking a disabled man here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/donald-trump-is-a-bigot-and-a-racist/2015/12/01/a2a47b96-9872-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html

Here's Trump getting his Heil Hitler salute.
http://www.bustle.com/articles/146135-donald-trump-asked-his-supporters-to-do-this-incredibly-creepy-thing

Hardly "nothing."
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 09:03 am
@spooky24,
While all of these things have made a lasting impression on me, the one that got me was the protester guy at a Trump rally who had KKK supports Trump on his shirt.

Trump walked up, looked at him, strode around the stage, but never disavowed the KKK.

Because he knows they'll all vote for him.

Because he's their guy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/02/27/watch_trump_stare_down_a_protester_wearing_a_kkk_endorses_trump_shirt.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 09:31 am
@revelette2,
I love it that the GOP in playing for decades to their nuts wing of the party is in the position of now not being able to give their nomination to anyone sane enough to win the general elecition
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 09:40 am
@Lash,
Great job but you did forget how Trump expressed the wish to take citizenship away from anyone who parents was not legally in the country.

So in other word he would like to force out of the country born citizens due to the 'sins' of their parents and who have no connection to their parents homeland.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 10:00 am
I'm teaching Night and we're studying a few very basic precursors to Hitler's rise, so the bairns will have an idea of the climate the author lived in - and the very basic answer to how Hitler rose to power is unmistakably linked to current events.

It's a bit chilling, and my students (notably my black students) make the connection. There's quite an uneasy racial divide in my classes. White students are almost exclusively pro-Trump; the only political preference shared openly by my black students has been pro-Bernie, but very few of them are talking.
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 10:06 am
@glitterbag,
So, Bill lusts after you? (wrinkles nose) LOL. You really think so?

The things people say...
0 Replies

snood

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 10:10 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm teaching Night and we're studying a few very basic precursors to Hitler's rise, so the bairns will have an idea of the climate the author lived in - and the very basic answer to how Hitler rose to power is unmistakably linked to current events.

It's a bit chilling, and my students (notably my black students) make the connection. There's quite an uneasy racial divide in my classes. White students are almost exclusively pro-Trump; the only political preference shared openly by my black students has been pro-Bernie, but very few of them are talking.

And I'm sure they'd feel absolutely free to express a pro-Hillary opinion in your class, because you maintain an atmosphere of professional, dispassionate objectivity there. Do I have that right?
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 10:14 am
@snood,
Yes, you do. I think it's wrong for teachers - in public school AND college - to express their religious or political views.

You think I applauded the Trump fans?

The only thing I do is protect the rights of the minority view when it seems to get abusive.

I had to put a stop to all political talk in one class because a student took me aside and said she couldn't take it anymore.

I'm about my kids.
revelette2

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:16 am
@Lash,
If your minority students feel free to discuss their political views, wonder why a majority of them don't and the few who do express pro-Bernie views?
Lash

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:42 am
@revelette2,
I'm not sure, but these insights shape my opinion:

I live in a very rural, white-majority southern town. The overwhelming majority of white students are from very conservative families. They support the Confederate flag and regularly make negative comments about Obama when the subject of politics is raised. I think only the very bold black students hazard political comments in this social environment - and my best student, a black female, is the one who took me aside and said she couldn't tolerate political talk in class. So, that class is under very strict rules to only discuss the subject at hand - and extraneous comments will be dealt with personally.

I'm pretty sure you and Snood think I'm incapable of having negative views about Hillary Clinton without expressing those views in class.

You are incorrect.

Hillary Clinton is mentioned by students and always negatively - white and black. I've asked why and they say she's a liar and crook. I've not heard a positive comment in my classes about her. There may be Hillary fans who know the overriding belief of their peers, and like their black peers, don't want to draw criticism.

Last semester was a great success in our Socratic Seminars about race - but I think that was owing to a greater number of black students who were physically imposing and very well-read and just generally intelligent. I think white students were less inclined to insult them with throw-away lines I can't hear. The seminar centered on MLK's Letter From Birmingham Jail, so dissent from what we saw and read was pretty hard to justify. However, these few political articles we're analyzing seem to be fodder for the muttering comedians just out of earshot. I don't think we'll read these anymore.

I take my position over students who are trying to form and express their own opinions very seriously. I've been on the bad end of this stick with teachers, and I refuse to be the offender.

There's a thread here somewhere that this is discussed with the words "bigotry" and "seventh grade" in the title.
snood

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:10 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you and Snood think I'm incapable of having negative views about Hillary Clinton without expressing those views in class.

Now Lash, what could possibly have given anyone the idea that your views about Hillary Clinton are so overwhelming and exclusively negative to the point that it would surely show in your attitude toward her or preclude you from presenting subject matter involving her as objective academic discussion? Surely not your unremitting daily deluge of indiscriminate propaganda and intense insult on A2K of everything Clinton. We must really be daft, or have some irrational determination to think badly of you for no reason at all.
parados

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:37 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
the only political preference shared openly by my black students has been pro-Bernie, but very few of them are talking.

Based on the way you treat anyone here that isn't pro-Bernie I can understand why black students who understand the history of whites and blacks in the south that have you as a teacher would fail to share an opinion with you.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:58 pm
@Lash,
I really was interested in the answer. Did the minority girl give a reason she couldn't tolerate the political discussions? I live in KY, so I understand about the environment. Most of the people I know can't stand Obama or Hillary, I just avoid political discussions except on the internet.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:09 pm
@revelette2,
Why don't they like Obama?
0 Replies