engineer

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:26 am
@McGentrix,
You're engaging in a bit of misdirection here. Clinton's investigations have nothing to do with Trump's failings. There are already threads on here about people who don't trust Clinton because of her past. There are other candidates in the Republican primary that do not have Trump's history of successes and failures. He touts his successes (and I would too in his shoes), but the flip side is significant as well. For that matter, why do people ignore his tax plan that completely blows up the deficit? Trump is running completely on personality. It is a fair question to ask why his supporters ignore the substance.
Olivier5

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Ailes/Fox backing Kelly against Trump is a big deal in the American right-wing mediaverse. I didn't see anyone predicting it - everyone I could find thought Ailes would cave.

I gathered most of these rightist pundits are praising Trump, not Fox. And if the raitings of the debate are low, as they probably will be, Trump will boast victory over almighty Fox and garner more support from the media-haters out there. And yes, Fox will fold ultimately.

The debate is just a big TV show; it's about entertainment and Trump knows that. He also knows that he is a better entertainer than most in the political show business. He's better than Fox at that game of trivialising politics into some sort of shouting match. On the other side there's a channel which has relentlessly morphed politics into a show over the past decade, but is now riding the high horse of journalism integrity, pretending they are doing some sort of public interest, democratic service to the nation by hosting that debate... Rolling Eyes

They are just lying through their teeth as they always do. What they truly want is a big show with big ratings, and Trump deprived them of it. He's set to win that fight, and Fox is set to lose.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 10:17 am
@McGentrix,
Trump being bailed out by banks and people like the Saudi Prince after his failures are substantiated facts. If Trump runs the country like his businesses, who will bail the US economy out in the same fashion? The question is real and something that will affect everyday lives of ordinary people, like the very people who paid for Trump's failure in Atlantic City.

Your comparisons are either investigation that went nowhere or just rumors.
parados

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:31 am
@McGentrix,
The 90s was also rife with the Clinton's being exonerated in investigations that the GOP kept insisting be conducted.
ehBeth

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 12:01 pm
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/veterans-blast-trump-fundraiser-for-using-them-as-political-props/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3421621/Trump-s-Iowa-veterans-event-raise-money-foundation.html

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/29/donald_trump_insults_the_very_veterans_hes_speaking_to_we_dont_win_at_the_military_anymore/

what a champ
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 03:55 pm
So what's the overall take? I think Trump lost this one. His opponents took shots at him all night, Kelly got rave reviews, Fox got all their advertising dollars, I didn't see any coverage of Trump's event, vets aren't happy with him and he's been tweeting bimbo tweets at Kelly (as opposed to getting his followers to) that seriously call into question his judgment. Does anyone see this as a win for Trump? I suppose he did escape Kelly's questions unlike the other candidates.
Lash

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:01 pm
@McGentrix,
Thankful to be able to see McG's as well as Revelette's version.

0 Replies

Lash

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:05 pm
@engineer,
It's hard to believe, but he comes out on top. I was thinking the opinion stating that if Trump can't face Kelly, how will he fare with ISIS etc would humiliate him, but it looks like pundits (not FOX) are saying it was a shrewd move to show his ultimate power (example: I'm so powerful in the GOP, I can snub a major debate - and btw screw them).

Looks like a Trump win.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:14 pm
Time to renew my UK passport.
0 Replies

CostaCoffeeBob

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Trump as President, and Palin as VeeCee - oh dear. This is like Dumber and Dumber. The Village Idiot and Krusty the Clown. Or Homer Simpson and Marge Simpson in the White House. All you need then is a Mr Burns as Secretary of State.
engineer

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:49 pm
@CostaCoffeeBob,
I'd vote Marge Simpson for VP and Burns might just be the Machiavellian person we need in the State Department. Ned Flanders for President though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 06:09 pm
@CostaCoffeeBob,
Very good analysis; dumb and dumber. What more can get worse during my lifetimes?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 06:53 pm
@engineer,
You asked about others take, and all I can tell you is after watching most of the Republican debate I cannot reconcile what I watched and what the talking heads say I watched. I simply don't know what people like about Trump. He doesn't discuss issues, he just makes noise that folks can interpret as 'being on their side'. He's the salesman in the dealership who becomes your temporary best friend, and he's in your corner all the way up until you drive the car off the lot. That's when you realize he was just "nicing'' you until he completes the deal, You are the means to an end.

It's not that I can't recognize the draw he has, it is just perplexes me. What do his supporters think he is going to do? It seems like the media can't get enough of Trump, they hang on every word, they give him high marks for being magnetic and irresistible but I think he is a rhinestone ring pretending to be a diamond ring. I'll give him credit, he seems to making something out of nothing, and we love a success story. I hope his supporters can be happy with empty calories. And I also hope if he makes it into office, he will make me eat my words.
RABEL222

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:43 pm
@yiga,
Why are you injecting Bush #2 into this site?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:48 pm
@parados,
And still continues to this day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 09:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Trump thinks he's a diamond, but people who knows better see him as a zircon.
He sparkles and fools many. Americans are easy to fool.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:28 am
@engineer,
Yes, it was misdirection and glad you noticed. I was just trying to prove the point that blanket statements like that cut multiple ways.

There is no other candidate running for office that has had the success that Trump has had. Yes, he has also had many failures and he admits as much. But, he's learned from each failure.

One of the main jobs that a President of the US has is negotiating. Has to negotiate with Congress, has to negotiate with foreign powers, has to negotiate with his cabinet, has to negotiate with a lot of people and organizations.

Have you listened to anyone that has done business with Trump come from a meeting complaining about what a shitty negotiator Trump was? Ever hear about what a great deal a company has received on it's side of the table after negotiations with Trump?

Let me ask you, do you think Trump behind closed doors in metting is the same bellicose asshole you see on TV? Do you think he goes into meetings with million of dollars on the line blustering and deaf to the other side? I guarantee that he is not or would not be as successful as he has been. No one Trump has been in business with has anything bad to say about him (unless they are politically motivated) and that should tell you something.

Trump knows how to play a room. He is a charismatic guy that doesn't owe a single lobbyist a dollar. He is beholden to no one. Not even the party that tries to control him. He is a political outsider and that makes the typical politician nervous because he can come in and really blow the doors off things. He can expose politicians secrets because he has nothing for them to hold against him.
McGentrix

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:34 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Trump being bailed out by banks and people like the Saudi Prince after his failures are substantiated facts. If Trump runs the country like his businesses, who will bail the US economy out in the same fashion? The question is real and something that will affect everyday lives of ordinary people, like the very people who paid for Trump's failure in Atlantic City.

Your comparisons are either investigation that went nowhere or just rumors.

Yep. He's been bailed out many times. He admits that. But, not all of his businesses have been failures, otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford to run like he is. You can't run a country like a business. But you can lead a country from the top down. He would be a CEO that is answerable to a board of Trustees. Power, but controlled.

Do you think that any President that gets elected will just run rough shod over Congress? No, they will have to negotiate to stuff done. Of all the people running, Trump has had the most experience and most success negotiating to get stuff done.
roger

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:41 am
@McGentrix,
Well, he may not be at all the way he portrays himself in television. But what is he? I think we are entitled so some clue, and so far as he and Clinton are concerned, I don't think we're getting any.
Below viewing threshold (view)