bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:42 am
http://media.cagle.com/180/2016/01/22/174498_600.jpg
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:05 am
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/uploader/image/2016/01/26/palin-trump.jpg

Quote:
For the record, it wasn't Sarah Palin's rambling endorsement of Donald Trump last week that finally drove editors at National Review to launch the magazine's "Against Trump" push. The conservative media revolt had been in the works weeks prior to Palin's now-classic oratory display.

Still, there was something fitting about the Right Wing Noise Machine's simmering civil war over Trump breaking out into open warfare in the wake of Palin's embarrassing speech; a comeback that had lots of Republican supporters publicly cringing.

What's inescapable about the mounting GOP hand wringing is that Trump is a right-wing media creation. He's flourishing on the fertile playing field of bigotry and resentment that National Review, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and a litany of others, have helped seed for many years. There's little doubt that during President Obama's two terms they cultivated an anti-intellectual movement that now appears poised to seize control of the Republican Party.

Today, scores of conservative commentators remain utterly baffled as to what's driving the popularity of the man who, in a matter of weeks, may control the Republican Party nomination. How astonishing is that?

Not only that, but Trump's critics on the right are waging an all-out civil war with his fiercest media defenders, forcing media players to take sides in the slug fest.

For a movement that has often displayed amazing discipline in terms of targeting its cannon fire on Democrats and liberals, the Right Wing Noise Machine now finds itself stuck in circular firing mode.

On one side, Trump's denounced as a "vicious demagogue," a "con man," a "glib egomaniac," and "the very epitome of vulgarity." On the other side, Trump's army has derided National Review as out of touch, and accused the magazine of cozying up to "open border zealots," a cardinal sin on the right.

None of that disguises the fact that Trump is the monster the Noise Machine created by encouraging bigoted and dishonest forces within the conservative movement; by giving credence to the three year Benghazi cover-up charade, the two year IRS witch hunt, by fueling ugly passions about Obama wanting to take away everyone's guns, and by arguing he's uninterested in defending America's national security.

For years, lots of conservative pundits and talkers cashed large, and in some cases very large, paychecks feeding this ugly beast. Now the beast is beyond their control and they're going to whine all the way to New Hampshire?

Call it the perils of Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Conservative John Ziegler saw this media-enable crack-up coming months ago (emphasis in original):

Quote:
Thanks to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Matt Drudge, Sarah Palin, a website named "Breitbart," and certain elements of Fox News (all of whom have both pushed and ridden the Trump bandwagon for selfish commercial purposes), the conservative base is living under several important delusions which has allowed for "Trumpsanity" to foster and grow.

Fact: The only entity that could likely stop Trump at this point would be a concerted effort by Fox News. But Roger Ailes and company are reportedly struggling with how to handle the Republican frontrunner, and have shown no interest in trying to take him down.

The conservative shock and awe of a possible Trump nomination, and the long-term political implications it could unleash, is now real.

But the revolt likely arrives comically late to the game, since a September or October pushback would've made more sense. Indeed, the magazine is "telling the Republican Party to pull its ripcord long after we've hit the ground," noted GOP consultant Alex Castellanos.

That delay certainly raises questions about the competency behind the "Against Trump" endeavor. Denouncing Trump, National Review editors insist he "is a philosophically unmoored political opportunist who would trash the broad conservative ideological consensus within the GOP in favor of a free-floating populism with strong-man overtones."

But all of those things were telegraphed nearly half-a-year ago when Trump first sprinted to the head of the GOP pack. Why did it take National Review editors and nearly two-dozen writers six months to belatedly acknowledge the obvious and, most importantly, join forces to stop him? (National Review editor Rich Lowry wrote that the project was first launched in late December, but then had to be set aside because of the busy holiday season.)

And who has the conservative nation turned its lonely eyes to in its hour of common sense need? Glenn Beck (Obama's a "racist"), Dana Loesch, Katie Pavlich, Erick Erickson, and Brent Bozell, who once likened Obama to a "skinny, ghetto crackhead."

Talk about a rogues gallery of Obama Derangement Syndrome sufferers who have now banded together to preach political clarity. But when the intellectual cupboard is bare, you make due with what's still left on the shelves and hope the expiration date hasn't already passed.

The Right Wing Noise Machine was revved up to 11 during the Obama years in an effort to destroy his presidency. In the end, the Noise Machine's lasting contribution, in the form of a Trump nominee, may be assuring that Obama hands the White House over to another Democrat.

source
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 02:07 pm
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/charlie-dent-trump-over-cruz

malleable? that's a very nice way of putting it
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 02:17 pm
@engineer,
Interesting article.

I see it this way: Trump wanted to run for president and was going to fund his election himself. Now usually, a candidate needs the endorsement of a strong political party to make such a run, but Trump really didn't. The GOP saw Trump as a threat to their candidate, whomever it would be and brought him in to the tent to run as a Republican.

Once making that decision, they really need to stand behind it if they want to be seen a credible party by its members. Should they kick Trump out of the race, he will simply run on an independent ticket and will get enough Republican votes that a Dem win would certainly be guaranteed unless enough Republican voters decided to vote for trump.

The whiners in the party or more than free to leave the GOP and start a new Conservative party where they can sit around and micromanage their candidate who repeats the party mantra until they are blue in the face. Or, that can join in the fun and stand behind the candidate that the people of the party elect.

I've not heard any fat women singing so it's no over. Stranger things have happened then the front runner going into the primaries losing them.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:21 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Understanding my use of the term "repuke" yet? The "Grand Old Party" has been reduced to a bunch of lunatics trying to mudslide one another.

If you were in the US, I suppose you would be a Demokkkrat and support Killary KKKlinton.

I'm not really in favor of cute name morphing, but sometimes it is really hard to resist.
farmerman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:48 pm
@roger,
you really miss gungasnake eh? Well he was called home to mutha Russia, or maybe the Mutha SHip, I forget which.
roger

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
Well, it was a handy answer to that repuke comment.
0 Replies

pcpic

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:33 pm
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:19 am
Who would have ever believed that FOX News would be leading the fight against the GOP front runner?? Behind a chick?

The sky is falling. Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:37 am
@roger,
If you really think that Hilary is a KKK member, you need your head examined.
roger

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:48 am
@Olivier5,
Just giving you some slightly altered names, as you feel free to do. Guess you didn't like it, huh?
Olivier5

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:27 am
@roger,
I do feel free to say whatever I want to say, yes.

By using the term "repuke", I am trying to say that the republicans are by and large a pretty disgusting bunch. If you, by using the terms "demoKKKrats", are trying to say that the democrats and Hilary Clinton are by and large KKK members, you're just proving my point that republicans are disgusting people...

I'm entitled to be disgusted by Trump, Cruz, Bush, and co. You are not entitled to lie about the KKK affiliations of Hilary Clinton. So sorry but there's a difference there.
farmerman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:44 am
@Olivier5,
I dont think you understand. Roger is a well reasoned (although separated brother by embracing GOPism). He merely used an A2k "common gungaism" for describing the Democratic party.
Perhaps the humor was lost on you. Im a Dem (with some conservative tRNA), I think that your use of "Repuke" was as worn and somewhat trite as is the well paraded "Repuglican", So GUNGASNAKE (a paragon of sanity) began the use of "KKK" as an intra word insert wherever a noun referring to something Democratic contained a "hard C" or a "K" .
Claiming that its "ok" to use Repuke" to describe the GOP but not KKKlinton to describe Clinton is not letting Roger express his own POV with his normal cowpokish wry sense of humor. Your head may explode if you get all hair burning mad at Roger for reacting to you. You must learn that "give and take" works two ways.

Thats the way I see it.

Roger is definately NOT cold joint.
roger

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:59 am
@farmerman,
Thank you. I really wanted to see if he could take what he so easily dishes out.
Olivier5

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:20 am
@roger,
If you're trying to say that "repuke" is not particularly smart or useful, i agree, but it was not meant to be. Just saying it as I see it...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:35 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Claiming that its "ok" to use Repuke" to describe the GOP but not KKKlinton to describe Clinton is not letting Roger express his own POV with his normal cowpokish wry sense of humor. Your head may explode if you get all hair burning mad at Roger for reacting to you. You must learn that "give and take" works two ways.

So by using the term "repuke" i stoop to gungsnake's level? Is that the point?

For the sake of not offending anyone, i shall from now on pretend that there's nothing even vaguely disgusting in Trump and Cruz being the republican frontrunners...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:41 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If you really think that Hilary is a KKK member, you need your head examined.

You didn't get the joke? Charlie Hebdo did.

http://enlightenedliberal.com/hillary-clintons-charlie-hebdo-problem/
Olivier5

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You mean the joke about Clinton being a KKK member? Sooo funny!
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:47 am
Apparently Trump is skipping the debate tonight because Megan Kelly is going to be there. That's probably not a bad move for him since he probably has more to lose than gain and his last couple of debate performances have been lack luster.
parados

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:49 am
@engineer,
Certainly skipping the debate is going to get him more press than attending it will.
0 Replies