Lash

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:22 pm
@roger,
I read, too, that he's really serious about stringent gun control. The version I've read makes it appear that he'll only run in case Bernie is the nominee and is against Trump or Cruz.

Bloomberg has a billion dollars to put into a campaign.

I think his primary goal is to stop Bernie for financial considersations
engineer

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:24 pm
@Lash,
I think that if we end up with a far left candidate against a far right candidate, he sees both an opening and perhap an obligation for a centrist to run as an independent. There should be at least one candidate that is somewhere near where the general population is.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:37 pm
@coldjoint,
I don't know that you do, either, but your coming up with it all on your own makes most people suspect you do.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:39 pm
@engineer,
Did you ever get out of the airport?
BillRM

Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:32 am
@engineer,
A centrist???? A man who does not trust the public judgment as far as the size of the sodas they order and wish the power of government to do so is now consist a centrist?
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:53 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
from the time Jefferson sent them to kick Muslims ass.

An here is a statement of the US position at the time as far as Muslims and the US faiths contain in the Treaty of Tripoli.

Quote:
Article 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, — as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, — and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

bobsal u1553115

Sun 24 Jan, 2016 09:31 am
@BillRM,
Nice find, Bill. Keep resisting the dark side.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 24 Jan, 2016 09:32 am
Donald Trump’s supporters have one frightening personality trait in common
— here’s what it is

This finding comes courtesy of a poll of 1,800 respondents conducted through the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, by Matthew MacWilliams. “I found that education, income, gender, age, ideology and religiosity had no significant bearing on a Republican voter’s preferred candidate,” MacWilliams writes in Politico this week. “Only two of the variables I looked at were statistically significant: authoritarianism, followed by fear of terrorism, though the former was far more significant than the latter.”

That Trump himself has authoritarian impulses won’t surprise anyone at this point.

In fact, according to the New York Times Upshot, “His very best voters are self-identified Republicans who nonetheless are registered as Democrats. It’s a coalition that’s concentrated in the South, Appalachia and the industrial North.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/donald-trumps-supporters-have-one-frightening-personality-trait-in-common-heres-what-it-is/
cicerone imposter

Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:48 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Jan, 2016 01:54 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160125-trump-insults-his-own-supporters_zpsmexku1ql.jpg
glitterbag

Mon 25 Jan, 2016 02:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It's sad, they think they are the same league. It's not going to be pretty when they find out they're not.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 25 Jan, 2016 04:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That's beautiful. And probably true.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 25 Jan, 2016 05:25 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes I did, but we sat on the runway for a couple of hours waiting for de-icing. Thanks for asking. At least I wasn't flying out to the frigid wonderland that is the Northeast.
0 Replies

jcboy

Mon 25 Jan, 2016 06:12 pm
Wonderful once I got pass the part of him being a republican how any veteran especially with ptsd could vote with the party that has screwed over veterans not once but more times than they can remember?

COMBAT VETERAN: Sarah Palin Has Pissed Off The Wrong Marine With PTSD (OPEN LETTER)

Quote:
Sarah Palin is pissing people off left and right these days, and she’s not even thinking about apologizing for it. And now members of the military are speaking out against the failed vice-presidential candidate. One in particular is a former Marine with PTSD who wrote Sarah Palin a letter that really sets the tone for just how serious the subject matter is, and just how appalling Palin’s behavior has been.

US Navy officer, Chris Mark, is a registered Republican who is sick of the feeble mind that is Sarah Palin. Mark is an ACTUAL combat veteran with “service connected disabilities,” unlike Track Palin, who never saw a single day of combat. Mark doesn’t take Mrs. Palin’s words as lightly as she does, and this is what he had to say to her about it:

Dear Mrs. Palin,

I am a former US Marine and US Navy Officer with a Combat Action Ribbon as well as service connected disabilities. I am also a Republican. I have also served with, and am friends with, dozens of combat veterans who suffer daily from various injuries and wounds to include PTSD. I recently read your comments related to PTSD in which you attempted to excuse your son’s arrest on domestic abuse charges and firearm charges by referencing his supposed PTSD. Based upon your previous comments I am not surprised that you would choose to use this very serious condition as a political football and, once again, attempt to divert blame from your own family’s abhorrent, violent behavior.

In 2014 your entire family was involved in a late night ‘drunken brawl’ at a party in which Track Palin (the accused domestic abuser) was involved in a bloody fight. While you publicly stated how proud you were at your children’s violent actions, maybe this should have been a sign that Track has a problem. It is certainly curious that you did not feel the need to reference his supposed PTSD in this situation and instead stated: “…my kids’ defense of family makes my heart soar!” Maybe, instead of encouraging Track’s violence, you should have taken the opportunity to get him help. Maybe, instead of being the result of PTSD, your son was simply trying to uphold the stated Palin family values and “…make your heart soar” by abusing a woman.

PTSD is stigmatized in the media and not well understood by the general public. An estimated 22 veterans commit suicide every day in the United States. This is nearly 8,000 veterans who take their lives every year. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) stated: “Every day in the United States, 22 veterans succumb to suicide — losing their personal battle to invisible wounds of war.” Veterans who have willingly given so much in service to their country should not have to bear the burden of being further stigmatized by your ignorant and foolish statements.

While I do not propose to speak for all veterans, I am clearly not alone in my views regarding your unfortunate statements. They were unfortunate for the many veterans who face further disdain and discrimination based upon your inaccurate and ignorant portrayal of those who suffer with PTSD as well as the causes of the condition.

While I would personally prefer that you simply avoid public life and simply fade away, if you insist on trying to use your “celebrity status” for a cause, please educate yourself on the facts of PTSD and try to help veterans by using your significant influence in a more productive, and less political manner. There are a number of veteran’s organizations to which you can donate time, money and energy to make a difference.

Regards,

0 Replies

Builder

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:52 am
I know this is a trumpet thread, but should we not be considering alternatives to this firebrand arsehole?
roger

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:25 am
@Builder,
A lot of us are, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere, probably because the alternatives aren't looking so good, either.
McGentrix

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:14 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

I know this is a trumpet thread, but should we not be considering alternatives to this firebrand arsehole?

"We" who? The liberals and non-US citizens that make up the bulk of A2K?

You guys just work on finalizing your own candidate. Leave ours to us.
Olivier5

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:13 am
@roger,
Understanding my use of the term "repuke" yet? The "Grand Old Party" has been reduced to a bunch of lunatics trying to mudslide one another.
engineer

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:29 am
@McGentrix,
Nate Silver has an interesting editorial out today. He basically says the purpose of a political party (party being the large group, not just the "elite") is to nominate an electable candidate. Typically this means either someone who is generally in sync with the party's values and has cross over appeal or someone who is extremely in sync with the party's values even if their cross over appeal is dicey and ideally, someone who is both in sync and popular. Trump is neither. Republicans as a party should be generating alternatives to Trump. I think the issue to this point has been that no one is really going to Trump voters and making a case why he would better represent their interests. I think the other candidates have essentially ceded 20-30% of the party voters to Trump and that is a problem.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:39 am
http://media.cagle.com/89/2016/01/25/174570_600.jpg
0 Replies