North Korea: What to do?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:10 am
@FBM,
Quote:
DNI concluded that the "explosion yield was less than a kiloton."

Whew!

I'm glad I reread this.

For a moment there I thought it said DNI concluded that the "explosion yield was about a kiloton."

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:12 am
@FBM,
I know this will be judged insensistive by some and even racist by others but I howled when I read

Quote:
“Why do you say such a thing although you know all?” an officer said. “We don’t need good jets. Nuclear weapons are all. We can win when our General is with us.”

I can just see an agitated little North Korean officer with a hat a half-size too big for his head shouting this at the interviewer, and then adding:

"All time say we North Koreans are big time bad ass. USA think it Number One...it not Number One...it Number Ten!"

http://nkleadershipwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/riulsol.jpg?w=223&h=230
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:13 am
Hey FBM

With an army like this, maybe an invasion from the North isn't such a bad thing.

http://images.tdaxp.com/tdaxp_upload/north_korean_army_babes.jpg
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:19 am
I've always been confused about goose-stepping. It seems like an absurdly large expenditure of energy for such little forward movement.

A
R
T
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 03:07 pm
FBM: Hi. Did you participate in the civil defense exercise in SK? According to NPR, some 12M did.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 03:13 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I've always been confused about goose-stepping. It seems like an absurdly large expenditure of energy for such little forward movement.

A
R
T

It's designed to leave an impression, not to speed up travel between two points.

When lovely North Korean women in short skirts goose-step it creates a very positive impression. Perhaps not about the might of the NK army, but positive nevertheless.

When male soldiers of any uniform or age do it, it leaves the impression that the army consists of soldiers with neurological problems. Not a very favorable impression, so your original question remains unanswered: Why goosestep?

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 06:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, I snerked when I read that, too. Laughing

I've seen the photo of the goose-stepping women before, too, and others like it. If I get captured, I want to be captured by them.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 06:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
No, way out here in the rice paddies, nobody pays attention to tha sort of thing. That's fer them big-city folk.

I was talking to my gf on the phone at the time. She was in Seoul. When I got around to asking her what she was doing, she just casually replied, '아, 민방위중이다': 'Ah, in the middle of a civil defense drill. No biggie to her. There are smaller versions of that several times a year.

Again, that's for city folk. Out here, farmer Kim ain't gonna get off his tractor for that crap.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 07:34 pm
@FBM,
"That Crap."
But what does it mean when you, your gf and Kim are so complacent? Should anyone else, in some other country, fret about SK and any threat it may face?
FBM

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 08:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

"That Crap."
But what does it mean when you, your gf and Kim are so complacent? Should anyone else, in some other country, fret about SK and any threat it may face?

You should definitely fret. We're not complacent, we're powerless and desensitized. Anyway, "that crap" was meant to reflect an old farmer's point of view, not mine.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 08:55 pm
Duly noted. As a lad, after VN, I stuck out my thumb for about 5 years. I ended up traveling down Africa. There was, in many places, a sense of fatalism. That may be the wrong word or perhaps I wrongly perceived their outlook on life.
Thanks for your continuing reporting from SK.
FBM

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 09:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
There's a Korean word 한 that's really hard to define. It's an emotion or sentiment that has some element of fatalism in it, along with a sense of being a community (Koreans-only, that is) that must suffer life's inevitable sorrows together. Resignation to a sure-to-be difficult fate.

This 한 is part of the attitude towards the NK situation. Korean people haven't been truly free nor unified in over a century. Looking at it from their point of view, well...

Anyway, since the tension has abated a bit, I'll probably limit my reporting to just the big stories. Or the sound of incoming artillery, whichever comes first. Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:58 pm
@FBM,

Being re-united can be good or bad
depending on whether it is under personal freedom or communist slavery.

David
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 05:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
True that, OSD. I'd love to be free to go to the North, but not to attend a Worker's Party re-education camp.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 03:59 am
Heating up again: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101217/wl_nm/us_korea_north

Quote:
North Korea says to strike South if drill goes ahead

By Yoo Choonsik and Chris Buckley Yoo Choonsik And Chris Buckley – 42 mins ago
SEOUL/BEIJING (Reuters) – North Korea said on Friday it would strike again at the South if a live-firing drill planned by Seoul on a disputed island went ahead, with an even stronger response than last month's shelling that killed four people.

The announcement on North Korean official news agency KCNA came as South Korea readied for live-firing drills on Yeonpyeong island near a disputed maritime border with the North for the first time since November's exchange of artillery fire.

The South Korean drills will take place between December 18-21.

"The strike will play out a more serious situation than on November 23 in terms of strength and scope of the strike," KCNA said.

The North had said its November shelling was a response to South Korean "provocations."

North Korea's warning came after Seoul promised a more robust response to any further attacks on its territory. The shelling of the island was the first time since the Korean war that the North had attacked South Korean territory.

The won fell slightly in offshore forward trading against the dollar, with the 1-month non-deliverable dollar/won forwards rising to as high as 1,159 soon after the news broke from around 1,155.

China, the North's main backer, has said that Pyongyang had promised restraint and the threat of a new attack by the North came as China told visiting U.S. Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg that the two big powers should cooperate more in defusing tension on the Korean peninsula.

It also came as U.S. diplomatic troubleshooter Bill Richardson visited Pyongyang in an effort to "reduce the tension on the Korean peninsula.

China's top diplomat, Dai Bingguo, urged closer coordination over the Korean peninsula during talks with Steinberg, the second most senior official in the U.S. State Department, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Friday.

Steinberg was in Beijing for three days up to Friday to press China to do more to bring to heel its ally, North Korea, which last month sparked alarm by shelling the island and disclosing advances in uranium enrichment which could give it a new path to make nuclear weapons.

China has avoided publicly condemning its long-time ally over the deadly shelling and nuclear moves, and instead pleaded with other powers to embrace fresh talks with North Korea.

(Writing by David Chance; Editing by Andrew Marshall)

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:34 am
Russian and China weigh in further...

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea said Saturday it will go ahead with artillery drills on a border island shelled by North Korea last month despite Pyongyang's threat to retaliate again, as Russia and China expressed concerns over tension on the volatile peninsula.

The North warned on Friday it will strike even harder than before if the South went ahead with its planned drill. Four people died last month in the North's attack on Yeonpyeong Island near the tense sea border.

The U.S. supports South Korea, saying the country has a right to conduct such a military exercise. However, Russia's Foreign Ministry expressed its "extreme concern" Friday over the drills and urged South Korea to cancel them to prevent a further escalation of tension.

China, the North's key ally, also said it is firmly opposed to any acts that could worsen already-high tension on the Korean peninsula. "In regard to what could lead to worsening the situation or any escalation of acts of sabotage of regional peace and stability, China is firmly and unambiguously opposed," Chines Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Jiang Yu said in a statement Saturday. More
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:56 pm
@JPB,
What is your opinion
of the quality of South Korean leadership ??

David
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:21 am
Clear weather forecast for tomorrow. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101219/wl_nm/us_korea_north
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:42 pm
Uh, Oh.
Watching.
FBM

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 09:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yup. About 1/2 hr till the exercise starts, no telling for sure when the actual firing will commence.