failures art

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:39 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Ionus wrote:

Quote:
A partner?
Now Arty.......behave....

*scratches head* I'm missing something...

What? You mean you don't feel this chemistry? Oh, requited love! How cruel! I'm going to go listen to the Cure for the rest of the day and write on my blog. Sad

A
R
T
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:41 am
@failures art,
Never mind Arty....you and I will always have the torture thread....... Wink
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:43 am
Suicide! Wow. This is very sad. Certainly this conflict has had a dramatic effect on the national psyche. Is Korea like Japan at in terms of suicide? I mean, you said that multiple girls told you this. Is there any reporting done on increased suicide rates relating to this conflict there?

I hope that it does not come to this.

A
R
T
FBM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:49 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I had the honour of fighting a Korean in a martial arts tournament. He told me the foot patrols checking the fence regularly shoot at each other across the border. It is never clear who starts it as both sides blame the other. There is a lot of hate there.

True that. I've heard the same from my Korean friends who have served.

Do you mind if I ask which martial art you do? One of the reasons I chose to come to Korea instead of China or Japan was to learn Hapkido.
FBM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:51 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

FBM wrote:

Ionus wrote:

Quote:
A partner?
Now Arty.......behave....

*scratches head* I'm missing something...

What? You mean you don't feel this chemistry? Oh, requited love! How cruel! I'm going to go listen to the Cure for the rest of the day and write on my blog. Sad

A
R
T

I'm just going to have to pretend that I didn't read that.

cf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbx5fSge6wo
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:55 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Suicide! Wow. This is very sad. Certainly this conflict has had a dramatic effect on the national psyche. Is Korea like Japan at in terms of suicide? I mean, you said that multiple girls told you this. Is there any reporting done on increased suicide rates relating to this conflict there?

A
R
T

I haven't heard anything about an increase in suicide rates due to the current crisis. And multiple girls didn't tell me directly, my GIRLFRIEND told me what her classmates were saying about it.
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:00 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Do you mind if I ask which martial art you do?
I used to be quite good at a mix of karate (southern style-Okinawa) and Kung-fu (praying mantis style). I gave up my formal education when at the sweet old age of 40 I went into the ring against some kick-boxers half my age. I didnt have the flexibility to do their swinging elbow techniques, esp those that come down over the top.....so I retired to just practice some routines by myself and keep in shape. Then I had an army incident that left me rather beaten up. But I think I could still manage 3 secs of intense activity, and for the average self defence situation the "fight" will be over in 2. I now instruct my sons and try to smile when my back cracks.

I studied most martial arts but not Hapkido. What would I find different ?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:07 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

I haven't heard anything about an increase in suicide rates due to the current crisis. And multiple girls didn't tell me directly, my GIRLFRIEND told me what her classmates were saying about it.

Lucky girl.

Sorry I got confused when you were talking about students, and I missed the two stories in my head.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:13 am
Hapkido is some intense stuff. Created by doctors with knowledge of human anatomy. Powerful stuff.

I've done a mix of marital arts over the years. I did Taekwondo for about 8 years. I've done most recently Ki Aikido. I practiced in a gym for 3 years with many martial arts ranging from Capoeira to Kung-fu. My sparing partner for many years was a boxer, and I did Fencing (German Foil, but I wanted to learn Saber) in college.

A
R
T
FBM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:27 am
@failures art,
I've never heard that Hapkido was developed by doctors, but it is based on the dynamics of human anatomy, especially those involving joint range-of-motion (and, in particular, how to violate it with the least effort).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido

Anyway, if you've spent time in Aikido, you're probably pretty familiar with joint manipulation. Just imagine that with kicks and strikes (not with the fist, tho).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 12:37 pm
Boys, boys, hapkido, boyfriends/girfriends. What was the topic again? Did y'all not mention about the importance of staying on the topic?

Actually, that's one of Art's favorite dodges.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:42 pm
Whoa. Shocked

WikiLeaks sure is uncovering a lot of interesting stuff about NK:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/12/03/2010120300365.html

Quote:
China Told U.S. of Underwater Nuclear Plant in N.Korea
China obtained information in 2008 that North Korea has a secret underwater nuclear facility in its coastal waters, leaked U.S. diplomatic cables show.

According to a Sept. 26, 2008 cable from the U.S. Consulate in Shanghai disclosed by WikiLeaks, a North Korea expert in Shanghai announced this in a meeting about the six-party nuclear talks with Christopher Beede, the political and economic chief at the consulate.

The Chinese source said the nuclear declaration the North submitted to China, the chair of the six-party talks, in May the same year was "incomplete" and Beijing had information that the North had a secret underwater nuclear facility. "For this reason, a debate has emerged within the Chinese leadership" over the six-party talks, he added.

He said some Chinese leaders believed that "continued momentum in the six-party talks is critical to their success" and that "Washington must adopt a more flexible attitude." Others took the "incomplete nuclear declaration as evidence that the regime in Pyongyang is truly 'a ticking time bomb'" and regarded "Washington's tough stance on verification as a potential opportunity" to control the North.

But a senior South Korean Foreign Ministry official said on Thursday that the cable "is not true. If it were true, would participating nations of the six-party talks have kept quiet?"
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:39 am
@FBM,
Looks like our military support has been purchased for another five years...

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The U.S. and South Korea have reached agreement on the largest trade pact in more than a decade, a highly-coveted deal the Obama administration hopes will boost American exports and create tens of thousands of U.S. jobs.

After a week of marathon negotiations, representatives from both countries broke through a stalemate Friday on outstanding issues related to the automobile industry, which have been a sticking point in the talks.

The agreement would be the largest U.S. trade deal since the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, and would bolster U.S. economic ties with South Korea, the world's 15th largest economy. The deal is often referred to as NAFTA.

South Korea is agreeing to allow the U.S. to lift a 2.5 percent tariff on Korean cars in five years, instead of cutting the tariff immediately. The agreement also allows each U.S. automaker to export 25,000 cars to South Korea as long as they meet U.S. federal safety standards, and it allows the U.S. to continue a 25 percent tariff on trucks for eight years before phasing it out by the 10th year. South Korea would be required to eliminate its 10 percent tariff on U.S. trucks immediately. More
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:12 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Metastatic communism is intolerable, like the black plague.
Purchase is unnecessary.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
@JPB,
Is this a "take our deal or we'll leave you to deal with the North on your own"?

Sounds a little one sided considering how the US likes to trumpet that it's so big on free trade.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:42 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The U.S. and South Korea have reached agreement on the largest trade pact in more than a decade, a highly-coveted deal the Obama administration hopes will boost American exports and create tens of thousands of U.S. jobs.

After a week of marathon negotiations, representatives from both countries broke through a stalemate Friday on outstanding issues related to the automobile industry, which have been a sticking point in the talks.

The agreement would be the largest U.S. trade deal since the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, and would bolster U.S. economic ties with South Korea, the world's 15th largest economy. The deal is often referred to as NAFTA.

South Korea is agreeing to allow the U.S. to lift a 2.5 percent tariff on Korean cars in five years, instead of cutting the tariff immediately. The agreement also allows each U.S. automaker to export 25,000 cars to South Korea as long as they meet U.S. federal safety standards, and it allows the U.S. to continue a 25 percent tariff on trucks for eight years before phasing it out by the 10th year. South Korea would be required to eliminate its 10 percent tariff on U.S. trucks immediately. More

That's an interesting way to put it, and seems to reflect at least a trace of disapproval.

Putting aside the question of whether or not there would be a South Korea without American military support, how much do you think it would cost them if they had to replace the military security now provided by the US and paid for by American taxpayers?

Probably worth some economic consideration in a trade deal, don't you think?

I suppose one could take the position that it is the duty of the US to provide military support to all the free nations on earth, but not many do, and if it isn't our duty to provide them with the support they desire why should we not expect some measure of quid pro quo?

Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen (yet) assertions that somehow the US intentially instigated the NK attack in order to soften the South Koreans up on this trade deal.
JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Putting aside the question of whether or not there would be a South Korea without American military support, how much do you think it would cost them if they had to replace the military security now provided by the US and paid for by American taxpayers?

You don't know that at all, Finn. There may well be simply a Korea, just as there is now a Vietnam, which I must remind you, the US trades with, when it was finally shamed into lifting its immoral embargo. Y'all sure are hypocrites, aren't you?

Quote:

I suppose one could take the position that it is the duty of the US to provide military support to all the free nations on earth, but not many do, and if it isn't our duty to provide them with the support they desire why should we not expect some measure of quid pro quo?

Piffle, pure piffle. In all the history of the USA, the vast majority of its military incursions have been to establish a favorable position for itself to take the resources of other countries. It gets the dumb American citizenry to financially support these ventures to enrich just a tiny portion of America.

Dumb but lucky Americans though. They've only had to pay with their cash, not their lives like the millions slaughtered to feed a greedy America.

Additionally, the US does this to encourage/force the sale of its massive arms industries. Note that it sells more military hardware than what is it, I'm sure you know, Finn, the next four or five largest countries combined.

Notice that when this isn't possible, the US has no problem resorting to illegal activities to support such ventures, even drug running, even when the result is that these drugs are being sold to its own citizens.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen (yet) assertions that somehow the US intentially instigated the NK attack in order to soften the South Koreans up on this trade deal.

Given the underhanded/lying/treacherous behavior of the USA over the last century [at the least], that is certainly not out of the question.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 01:12 pm
@JTT,
I have no idea, but the timing is a bit suspicious.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 01:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Sure, especially on the heels of an attack from the north. Do you think the timing of the agreement after being in a "stalemate" is pure coincidence? I don't.

Quote:
I certainly don't take such a position, but I think we could be a little more forthcoming in our motives.

Quote:
You won't hear them from me, but we aren't above making hay from the unfortunate circumstances of others.
JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 01:34 pm
@JPB,
Quote:

Quote:
You won't hear them from me,

Notice how fair minded Finn phrased it, "assertions". Of course JPB wouldn't/couldn't make an assertion like that. Who would? Who could?

But you certainly didn't rule out the possibility.

And yet, it's not beyond Finn, and a lot of others, to make assertions that the Taliban refused to give up Osama binLaden.