DO YOU THINK THIS WOMAN DESERVED A PAT DOWN?

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
And now there's this from AOL:

(Nov. 21) -- A Michigan man who survived bladder cancer in 2007 has now been forced to survive humiliation at the hands of the TSA, whose airport screeners spilled urine on him during a recent security check at Detroit's airport.

Thomas Sawyer, 61, was flying to Orlando, Fla., on Nov. 7 with his wife to attend a wedding. Since having part of his bladder removed because of cancer, Sawyer wears a urostomy bag attached to a tube from his abdomen.

He said he asked TSA agents if he could be screened in private because of his medical condition. "One officer looked at another, rolled his eyes and said that they really didn't have any place to take me," the retired special education teacher told MSNBC. "After I said again that I'd like privacy, they took me to an office."

"I tried to warn him that he would hit the bag and break the seal on my bag, but he ignored me," Sawyer said. "Sure enough, the seal was broken and urine started dribbling down my shirt and my leg and into my pants."

"I was just so embarrassed, so humiliated," Sawyer also told The Detroit Free Press. He's filed a complaint with the Transportation Security Administration.

Read more at MSNBC and the Detroit Free Press.
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:11 am
@Mame,
Well-aidan might be worried that if you spoiled brats get your way some terrorist might get on the next plane she is on.

Although I feel it only right to say that if she wishes to see her mother so much why doesn't she live near to her as the vast majority of women do?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:19 am
@Mame,
Quote:
"I was just so embarrassed, so humiliated," Sawyer also told The Detroit Free Press.

One might have thought that if Mr Sawyer was so embarrassed and humiliated he would have kept the event between himself and the TSA officer rather than blazoning it all over the newspapers for all his friends and neighbours to peruse.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:23 am
@Mame,
Oh my god. This **** (pun not intended) has GOT to stop. I think people should rebel against this. I've always thought I should defer to law enforcement when their goal was security - but this is no way for a so-called free people to be treated.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:28 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

stories of groping and whatnot

hmmm....I'm quite sure some of these are just that....stories.

Groping.

You're right mame, perhaps these measures won't solve the problem. But why automatically assume the solution, the next step would be worse? Maybe it will be better.
Probably will be worse for some, better for others.

Getting back to this use of the word "grope"
Using that word is just way out of hand.

the definition of grope?

feel about uncertainly or blindly
search blindly or uncertainly
fondle for sexual pleasure

Is anyone feeling about randomly, in an uncertain manner?
Oh yeah, I think we covered this doing it for sexual pleasure enough.

Using the word grope conjures up the picture of the searchers waiting in anticipation, rubbing their crotches in barely contained excitement, waiting for the chance to run their fingers around nether regions lingeringly and aggressively.

The guy that got his own urine on himself?
Why didn't he empty his bag in the mens room before getting in line?

Not only did he get some piss on himself (which can be rinsed off and dried under a hand drier in the restroom), he is a victim of cancer. Oh no, a victim of cancer, being victimized again!

So, this guy got urine on himself and a handful of people saw it, and he was humiliated.
The obvious reaction would be to talk about it to the news, so thousands more can read about getting his leg wet with piss, and his humiliation. Let's not forget he had already been made a victim because of his cancer, and this is just a reminder of how victimized and helpless he is.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:05 am
Okay, I rescind the word 'grope'. But excuse me, I don't want someone's fingers up my butt, all over my boobs, and between my legs. I just don't. That's why I would opt for the scanner.

Anyway, they're not scanning at every airport yet, and even at the ones they do, they're not completely outfitted (every line), so it looks like invasive patdowns are going to happen regardless of your choice.
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:26 am
@Mame,
Oh yeah, I'd opt for the scanner too.

So they see my "naked" body.
La dee da, me and hundreds/thousands of people on the same day.

If I had to though, I wouldn't think much more of the pat down.

Good Lord, I've had enough pelvic, rectal exams, mamograms, a colonoscopy, endoscopy, D&C etc to realize no one is paying any attention to what I look like, and I realize they just doing what the procedure is. The people that have done the above were by and large complete strangers to me, and I to them. I chose to get them. Just like if I choose to fly, at this present time, subject to change, this is the procedure.

BTW, every time I've gotten a mamogram, the procedure is less and less touchy feely. Last time I said "damn, pretty soon I'll just walk by a machine with my clothes on, and that'll be it". The tech said "Probably"

The scanners/searches are today. It'll be improved.

In the meantime, for the very few who find this unbearable, well, you might be surprised what you can bear.

Off topic: Sometimes finding out what you can bear is a positive experience.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
@chai2,
Does anybody know about false breasts? Scanners can't hurt those, or the urine bag either
Quote:
Bossi, a flight attendant and breast cancer survivor, said she was forced to remove her prosthetic breast while a TSA pat-down was administered.

Why opt for pat downs if there's a choice.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:44 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail, why are you constantly thumbing up aidan's posts and Francis
down? I just played devil's advocat here for a few seconds and sure enough, aidan up - Francis down! How stupid are you??
electronicmail

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:47 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm sorry, what?

How can I be thumbing up and down the same posts, you think I'm logged in on many computers? I hardly ever bother except for the up part anyway and never on my threads. Get a grip.

I didn't even notice you were here. I wish I hadn't read your post I'm replying to either. You're too stupid for words.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:49 am
@Mame,
If I saw you standing in line Mame I would put an "Out of Order" notice on the scanner.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:49 am
@electronicmail,
A prosthetic breast is not an implant.

It's just something you have in your bra to give you the appearance of having a breast.

It's not part of her body.
I imagine they wanted it taken off to see if there was anything inside it.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:52 am
Yeah, right electronicmail - no need to play dumber than you actually are!

----

spendius, you're being silly. You hardly ever get out of your house and if you
do, it's just down the road to your beloved pub. How can you possibly know
what's going on at american airports, or any other airport for that matter, hm?

spendius

@CalamityJane,
Quote:
why are you constantly thumbing up aidan's posts and Francis down

How do you know that Cal?
electronicmail

@chai2,
So except for pacemakers everybody else is better off going through scanners?
electronicmail

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:54 am
@CalamityJane,
I can't hope to reach your rock bottom stupidity no matter how much I try.

Go away and leave me alone, I don't even remember talking to you. Ever. I'm not interested, got it??
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:54 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
How can you possibly know what's going on at american airports, or any other airport for that matter, hm?

I watch CBS and Fox main news bulletins most nights. In bed.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:56 am
For the record: I've gone through scanners at the airport, but I never was
patted down in a manner where it becomes embarrassing. In Europe they have
a handheld scanner device that is used should the metal detector sound off.
With this device the body is scanned from top to bottom, but no agent is using
their hands to touch the passenger.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:58 am
@electronicmail,
Oh no, tea party idiots like you won't be left alone here, trust me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:59 am
@spendius,
Haha, spendius, that of course gives you a very vivid picture of what's
going on around the world. Carry on!