Thomas and Joe Nation are running the New York Marathon!!!

margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 08:22 pm
Wow! Congrats all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 09:10 pm
Adds a note, the miner Edison Pena finished the race too. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/07/chilean-miner-new-york-marathon
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 10:29 pm
@Intrepid,
I'm not sure I could do a marathon with a bicycle. :-(
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:50 am
Just checking in here to the best bunch a friends a guy could ever have. I was so moved to find this thread. Thanks to all.

Thomas deserves all the kudos. He is my hero. He put in SO much work and time and effort into making this goal. WHAT A GUY! (5:19:11) which is faster than my first marathon three years ago. Really well done for someone who used to be so proud of barely beating the pick-up buses on the NYC Half Marathon!! He never gave up and mumbled something last week about wanting to do the 60K run when it comes up in a month or so. I'll keep you posted. (That would be a 37 mile trek for those of you scoring from backward countries not using the metric system. :-) ) yipes.

And Caralyn and Sophia are real wonder women. (I don't know Sophia's last name. (plz help, Izzie) To walk the distance seems to me to be a much harder task than running it. You're out there far longer, the crowds are a bit thinner and just the shear effort of staying hydrated and energized must be tripled. Wow. What an effort for a great cause! Send them some money.

No. really.

Send. them. some. money. Please.

Meanwhile, I had a wonderful day. My red-haired sweetie met me at the 23.5 mile mark midway up the Fifth Ave hill and gave me a burst of energy which rocketed me around the final two and half miles. SO funny to look at the mile times a few minutes ago. I know I must have passed 200-300 runners in that last bit, but I was doing a 12:29, 11:52, and 11:42....reality completely changes. We think we are flying, the people watching on the sides are wondering if it's possible to go that slow without falling over.

'twas a great day. Brilliant sky, just the right amount of wind to chill me down and a great cast of characters on the road to keep my mind occupied. I did my usual 'start out juuussst a little too fast, fade, but not too badly, in the final nine miles' method. Apparently, I am ten pounds heavier and five minutes slower than last year. (Official finish time : 4:56:52)
More later. Love you all.

Joe(It's not as hard as you think nor as easy as we tell it.)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:57 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
You guys all did awesome. Congratulations for running your race; finishing your race; and

being an inspiration for us couch potatoes.
SO STIPULATED.

Bearing in mind that for every debit, there must be a credit,
yin & yang, I was doing my earnest best to generate sufficient counter-lethargy
to keep the Universe in balance, so that it 'd not tip over n fall.

It looks like it worked.

I did not hear a crash.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:49 am
@Joe Nation,
Yay Joe and Thomas!!!!
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:55 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Yay Joe and Thomas!!!!

I'll second that.

(Why is there a bowflex ad at the bottom of the page?)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:42 am
@Setanta,

(now it's life insurance... go figyah)
Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

dlowan wrote:
Yay Joe and Thomas!!!!

I'll second that.

Me too. Proud of you guys.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:13 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
(now it's life insurance... go figyah)

That almost seems to make sense. I's so proud. Shniff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:27 am
Now i got an ad for skateboard equipment . . . so, if they run the marathon and get into skateboards, they're gonna need life insurance 'cause it could kill 'em?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:34 am
@Setanta,
Congratulations on finishing the marathon, set.
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Now i got an ad for skateboard equipment . . . so, if they run the marathon and get into skateboards, they're gonna need life insurance 'cause it could kill 'em?

Only if they're simultaneously also using the Bowflex.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:20 am
@edgarblythe,
I could maybe walk a marathon . . . if ya gave me a couple a days and a voucher for a motel . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:21 am
@jespah,
Use a bowflex on a skateboard ? ! ? ! ? You could put your eye out, young lady . . .
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:22 am
@dlowan,
Wabbit what about the group of local boys led by Cornsey, they raised thousands, worth a pat on the back too!
dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
@Dutchy,
Don't know nuttin' about 'em?
squinney

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:21 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Thomas deserves all the kudos. He is my hero. He put in SO much work and time and effort into making this goal. WHAT A GUY! (5:19:11) which is faster than my first marathon three years ago. Really well done for someone who used to be so proud of barely beating the pick-up buses on the NYC Half Marathon!! He never gave up and mumbled something last week about wanting to do the 60K run when it comes up in a month or so.

AND

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(It's not as hard as you think nor as easy as we tell it.)Nation

Okay, Everyone! Let's get out there and start training today. Next year we need a full A2K team! We can do it! Let's do it!

S (after my coffee) Quinney
Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:33 am
@Joe Nation,
the everyday hero

Y'all are Joe... massive achievement - good on each of ya!

not sure if I'm allowed to put this up here but a hamster can remove it if necessary and that would be coco.

...every little helps towards finding a cure for Breast Cancer

http://london.walkthewalkfundraising.org/hero_pages/view_posts/caralynandsophiadonyc
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:49 am
@squinney,
I'm up for it!
0 Replies