Thomas and Joe Nation are running the New York Marathon!!!

Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

And Caralyn and Sophia are real wonder women. (I don't know Sophia's last name. (plz help, Izzie)

Sophia Whittingham 6:47:28
(just found her on the tracker)

They must have walked across the line together. Too cool. Very Happy
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 09:05 am
@Izzie,
Hoorah! For Sophia,,,,,, she was so funny at breakfast on Saturday telling the story of she and Caralyn creating a sensation at the International Run
(Yes....they did the 5 mile race on Saturday and then did the Marathon on Sunday.)
"They all wanted to take our pictures! Our faces got tired from having to smile so much!"

So happy those two stuck together the whole way. What a team!

Joe(they're two of the good'uns)Nation
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 09:42 am
@squinney,
I'm up for it as long as I don't have to wear big bulky tennis shoes. I've always run my best with little or nothing on my feet.

Thomas is my hero. Actually, they both are, but I met Thomas 3 or 4 years ago and he's slimmed down so much since then and is so energetic and determined! I'll be running a 5k on Sunday with my baby girl and my bum knee. I hope I make it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:00 am
@squinney,
I don 't even wanna take a CAB for 26 miles.
George

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:17 am
How did this get by me?

Belated congratulations, guys!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:07 am
Thank you all for your cheers! I didn't find this thread until after the Marathon, but somehow the cheerful vibes must have come through telepathically.

Special thanks to you, Joe Nation. Without your advice and support, I don't know if I could have made it. Our run a week ago, in which we covered the last four miles of the Marathon, was especially helpful in keeping me going. I should have listened to your advice about going out too fast. The first half of my run was my fastest Half-Marathon since coming to America (2:25), then crashed and burned in the second half (2:54). I'll make sure I'm more careful next time.

Oh, and about the Knickerbocker 60K? That's next weekend. My legs say they don't think so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:08 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, that's the hard part.
well, I mean, if one can get that far..

Lesson learned: this isn't true if you have a red-haired sweetie along with you...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:30 am
Someday, someone ought to write a book, or at least a long-distance essay, about the people in and around the New York Marathon. They're amazing. Unfortunately, writing long essays makes me want to procrastinate the moment I think about it. So all I can do is a post-by-post brainstorming session.

Let me start with my favorite signs, most of them on T-shirts:
  • "'Fack, Shet, Puke, Pess"'---Running for Tourette's"
  • "We're those fast women your momma warned you about!"
  • Pick-up lines were quite common on T-shirts. Another neat one was, "Your pace or mine?"
  • Honorable mention for pure evil genius: "Think you're suffering yet? Wait till you spend eternity in hell. Find Jesus now!" (Sign carried by a spectator between miles 20 and 21, where most runners hit the wall.)
wandeljw

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:44 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks for reporting on what you saw, Thomas. I was wondering if this was your first marathon. I myself have never run more than 5K, but Jespah is my role model, as I am sure she was for you.
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:52 pm
@wandeljw,
Eek now I'm embarrassed.*

*Though secretly pleased and all, of course.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:40 pm
@jespah,
My daughter runs with an organization of elementary school girls in the Chicago area. They run two 5K's each year. Last year she asked me to be her running buddy.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4102921895_6be0fac39c.jpg

Here we are after the race at the stadium for Chicago's professional soccer team.

Annie finished a full 10 minutes ahead of me. I tearfully asked her why she did not wait for me.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:38 pm
@wandeljw,
Wonderful photo, JW.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:43 pm
@Thomas,
The book sounds like a job for both you and Joe!
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:14 pm
@wandeljw,
I bet Annie can beat the pants off me, too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6829/candace.png

Candace Jackson. I'm so proud of her!!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:34 pm
@eoe,
love it!

she's one joyous woman

congrats to Candace!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:40 pm
@eoe,
She's looking good! How can she run that fast and smile like that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:49 pm
@dlowan,
There's an idea.

I can imagine it as difficult - I love both of you, but it is hard to write a book between friends. I've some small experience in this..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:50 pm
@eoe,
Wonderful!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
You are in the forefront of recent commentary on shoes.

I'm mixed but listening, not that I run anymore, but I read.

0 Replies