Thomas and Joe Nation are running the New York Marathon!!!

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:13 pm
@Thomas,
Poor baby!!!

Have a hot buttered rum.

George

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:23 pm
@dlowan,
I recommend substituting hot apple cider for the hot water in that recipe.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:54 pm
@dlowan,
Hot buttered rum! Of course!

(One hint: At the Munich marathon, some fluid stations offer alcohol-free beer. Granted, maybe Munich is more fond of beer than other cities of the world, But I find their idea well worth emulating.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:56 am
@Thomas,
Ditto on the diss on the pacing leaders --- I never saw the 4:40:00 group at all. I did see a few people with (like me) 4:40 tags on them about mid-way (which makes sense because, at that point, I was on pace. (I have an excel chart. If someone could explain how I could post it here, that would be fun.)
==
Cold doesn't bother me, but even I had real chills, of the thermal not emotional, going over the Verrazano last Sunday. I'd like to blame the cold on me going too fast but, 'tisn't true, I was just too hyped up.

My intention this year is to do a lot more 20 mile runs in practice throughout the year but do them at a Marathon Pace. And, somebody send me a reminder, during the cool-down of running in the last weeks before the Marathon (you go from running 20-25 miles a week down to less than ten in the week before the race) I am going to run ALL those miles at the pace I want to do the Marathon in. That way, I reckon, the marathon pace will become more like my regular way of running.

Joe( it's all mind games)Nation
jespah

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Excel chart -- take a screen shot of it and post it like any other pic.
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 09:04 am
@Joe Nation,
Do you normally run faster or slower than marathon pace?

I am guessing faster.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:00 am
How did I miss this thread....one of the most uplifting threads in a long time.
Congratulations Joe and Thomas, and well deserved kudos to both of you!

I can't think of anything I would like to do for 5 hours straight, never mind
running. It definitely is a great accomplishment to run the NY Marathon!
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:07 am
@jespah,
I'll try that....
Joe([mumbles....} screenshot, wft?)Nation
Izzie

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:22 am
@Joe Nation,
hey Joe <you may have a snipping tool on your computer> Nation

Very Happy

Iz <I snip, save, photobucket and paste> zie
x

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:33 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I can't think of anything I would like to do for 5 hours straight, never mind running. It definitely is a great accomplishment to run the NY Marathon!

What ^^ she said!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6HMyVYtcgxI/TOAM1oOmD0I/AAAAAAAAWo4/hEL_iisKQEM/s640/Marathon%202010%20Averages.JPG
(Note: the Blue line is the target pace. Below the line is too fast, above the line is too slow. "Time" refers to the average pace per mile at that mile point, not the pace for that mile.)
Okay.
So, Mr. TooSpeedy dashed over the Bridge (mile 1-2) and then really tried to settle down, but was still too fast. Miles 8,9 Okay, but zoomed through 10 (There's a cheering section there...hmmm.)

I held it together pretty well until the Pulaski Bridge (Mile 13)
Then a wonky slow-down(?) before the Queensboro Bridge (Mile 15 to 16) The big bump at Mile 16 is the result of my one pee-stop (It took me about two minutes of waiting my turn and ...um, taking my turn.)

17, 18,19 and 20 is First Avenue: I thought I was cruising along, but the fatigue does odd things to your sense of how fast you are going. I have a Garmin and it was reporting I was going slower (I can see both the overall average and the current pace as well as the pace for the previous mile,) but I, for whatever reason, didn't pay much attention. I was having a really good time gawking around and talking to other runners.
I turned on whatever speed I had left at Mile 21 (I wanted to be at the Park by 3:00pm to meet up with my friend.)
Mile 22 is the roadway around Marcus Garvey Park, one of my favorite places.
Mile 23 is the long hill on Fifth, I met my sweetie in the middle of the hill, hugged and took off.

I actually ran faster every mile for the rest of the run. How about that!
(What it tells me is I could have run First Avenue a lot faster.)
I think if the race was two miles farther I could have crossed that average line. Not good, I often tell people that at the end of a race, I don't want to look good, I want to look done!
Joe(Thank you for listening)Nation
Here's the map: http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/documents/INGNYCM10_Course_Map_For_Media-4.pdf
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
My intention this year is to do a lot more 20 mile runs in practice throughout the year but do them at a Marathon Pace.

Great minds think alike. I intend to test Will Smith's motto, "Just stay ready. That way you never have to get ready." My goal is a three-hour run at pulse 140 every weekend from now until the next marathon sometime in spring. I did my first one today and ended up covering 13.4 miles. As I get fitter, I hope to work my way up to 20 miles. (Nine-minute miles strike me as a realistic if ambitious goal.) As it happens, 20 miles also is the long-run distance most authorities recommend for marathon preparation. But even if I wasn't to improve at all, a half-marathon every weekend for 20 weeks could well prove enough to prepare for a marathon.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:43 pm
I find your use of the heart rate to 'monitor' your speed fascinating.

Of the eight races I ran so far this year, six have been Half Marathons, two were 18 milers. I also did my now famous 20 mile trek through the hills of Inwood Park, Ft. Tryon and the Cloisters. The difference between 13.1 and 20 is exponential.
I think once 20 miles become a once a week norm, your body just looks at it as a norm. The extra six miles to complete a marathon then becomes a jaunt added onto the regular routine.

I'm going to do some more reading.
Joe(got my Brightroom pictures today. I look happy)Nation
Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I find your use of the heart rate to 'monitor' your speed fascinating.

It's more necessity than genius. I do much of my working-out in the gym. Time and heart rate are the only measures by which I possibly could compare the strain of biking workouts, running workouts, ellipticalling workouts, rowing workouts, skating workouts....
jespah

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 06:39 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
"Just stay ready. That way you never have to get ready."

Perfect. Love it.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 06:42 am
@Thomas,
Er...like...wow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 06:43 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Thomas wrote:
"Just stay ready. That way you never have to get ready."

Perfect. Love it.
That is reminiscent of the fellow who said to do everything right all the time.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:10 am
@Thomas,
That makes sense, but hasn't your resting heartrate gone down? (Mine's gone from mid-70s to it's present 44bpm) Does that affect your use of the 135-140 bpm because the base is lower?
Presently I have decided to get rid of the rest of this gut I packed on last December----gggrrrrr--- MHR formula say (200-63)*75 percent = about 120bpm for maximum fat burn. THAT's really slow I'll bet. I'll try it over the next several days.
Today's run is back over Inwood Mountain which I haven't done in about three weeks....So looking forward to it.

I'm writing a piece about the best marathon tip ever recieved, what was yours and why was it the best?

Joe(♪don't stop thinking about tomorrow♪)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:37 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Do you normally run faster or slower than marathon pace?

I am guessing faster.

I do a lot of miles at about 10 minutes per mile. A lot. If I am doing 20-25 miles a week (and I am), probably 80% of those miles are done loping along at that speed.
I mix in a couple of runs at higher intensity, maybe 9:30 per mile.
==
On race days I shoot for that 9:30-9:45 pace depending on how long the run is. I can run six miles at 9:30. ... Half marathons (13.1 miles, about 12km) I shoot for 10:15 per mile and hit it more times than not.
I should run all the miles of a Marathon at 10:40 per mile, so say the experts, in order to have enough energy left in the final miles to keep that pace up to the end. But ,,, that feels really slow. It's something I am going to have to work on this year.
==
All this navel-gazing!! For a guy who, at 63, still gets beaten by more than half of the other geezers in his age group! wow.
Joe(President: Wide Load Runners, Light Truck Division)Nation
jespah

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:50 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe -- did I intro you to my pal Kathy? She just ran her first (Richmond). Just over 6 hrs.