Thomas and Joe Nation are running the New York Marathon!!!

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:05 am
@Joe Nation,
You're a beautiful man, Joe.

Chiseled.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:12 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
That makes sense, but hasn't your resting heartrate gone down? (Mine's gone from mid-70s to it's present 44bpm) Does that affect your use of the 135-140 bpm because the base is lower?

Well, to the extent that this is a problem, it would still apply equally across all cardio workouts. So it wouldn't affect the measures' use as a common denominator between different types of workouts. Fortunately though, it hasn't been a problem for me, at least not so far. The major consequence of my decreased resting heart rate is that my body gets work done faster at any given workout heart rate. But the strain at this heart rate feels just the same to me as it did fifty pounds ago. (Boy it feels good to say "fifty pounds ago".)

Joe Nation wrote:
Presently I have decided to get rid of the rest of this gut I packed on last December----gggrrrrr--- MHR formula say (200-63)*75 percent = about 120bpm for maximum fat burn. THAT's really slow I'll bet.

It does sound slow to me. What was your average heart rate during the marathon? And, what heart rate corresponds to zero percent in your formula? For some books, including Fixx's classic Complete Book of Running, zero percent corresponds to your resting pulse. For others, including The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover, zero percent corresponds to a heart rate of zero. And what's even odder, authors of running books don't seem to realize that that's a rather huge difference. How can the running community talk about heart rate percentages without agreeing what the baseline is?

Joe Nation wrote:
Today's run is back over Inwood Mountain which I haven't done in about three weeks....So looking forward to it.

Have fun!

Joe Nation wrote:
I'm writing a piece about the best marathon tip ever recieved, what was yours and why was it the best?

Before a marathon, and long runs in general, always tape your nipples. It's the best tip for two reasons: First, it's annoying as hell when your T-shirt rubs your nipples sore, especially when things get sweaty or bloody. Second, this is the kind of problem you'd never anticipate until you have it. And then you'll be in the middle of the run, unable to do anything about it.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:16 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
always tape your nipples
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:25 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Before a marathon, and long runs in general, always tape your nipples. It's the best tip for two reasons: First, it's annoying as hell when your T-shirt rubs your nipples sore, especially when things get sweaty or bloody. Second, this is the kind of problem you'd never anticipate until you have it. And then you'll be in the middle of the run, unable to do anything about it.

Actually, three reasons. Third, many men, especially American men, seem to feel uneasy about the fact that they, too, have nippels on them. For example, when I change t-shirts in the locker room and my fellow gym-dwellers notice my taped nipples, they get this uhhhh-okay look on their faces---as if I was practicing some weird sexual fetish, and they had to work really hard at being open-minded about it. But there really is nothing to it but common sense. Just tape'em!
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:28 am
@Thomas,
Even I am having problems with the fetish thing....
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:33 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Even I am having problems with the fetish thing....

Problems are a matter of degree. What would you rather have on your nipples, band-aids or evil mutant blisters? Yes, that's a rhetorical question. I knew you'd opt for the fetish, too.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:39 am
@Thomas,
Indeed...but I'd choose pretty bandaids.

The locker room scene sounds very Pythonesque...."Guys...whatever you do, don't mention the nipples!!"
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Indeed...but I'd choose pretty bandaids.

Actually, you women have it much better than we men do. There are special running bras, which mostly address the bouncing-around problem, but take care of the blister problem too. (Dammit, now I'm wondering what faces my gym buddies would make if I came into the locker room with a running bra on. They're mostly rugged, culturally conservative, body-builder types (the buddies, not the bras). Their hangout next to the gym calls itself the Muscle Maker Grill, and the two TVs in it run Fox News and ESPN. Not your first choice of subculture to confront with any phenomenon involving male nipples.)
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:54 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
The locker room scene sounds very Pythonesque...."Guys...whatever you do, don't mention the nipples!!"

Ha! Good observation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:33 am
@Thomas,
You need The Bro!!!!!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:48 am

Those of us who prefer taxis r not confronted with that problem.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:02 am
@jespah,
No, introduce away!

Six hours. That's perseverance.

Joe(Once started, never stop until they hand you that medal.)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:33 am
Re: Nipples, Tape and the Surprises born in a Hot Shower.

Two years ago I was completing my first 18 mile Tune-up Run. I was perking along toward the finish, happy with the facts that:
1) I was finishing and 2) I hadn't had any real trouble throughout the run.
As I approached the finish area, I could hear the announcer chirping off people's numbers and saying cool things about them:
"Here's 4231 finishing up strong"
"Look at the smile on 5377!"
"Alright! Three more runners from TeamForKids! Looking good!"
I made the turn and headed for the line, I put a big smile on my mug....
..and .....and...
. he didn't say anything.

And the crowd was, huh?, was, was, was sort of subdued for just a second.

I crossed the line and headed for the baggage area to get my dry clothes. Got my bag, drank some water, got a bagel -munched on it- as I walked over to a favorite spot I have for changing clothes.
I got my dry shirt out of my bag, reached down to pull off the soaking wet one I had on and saw for the first time that I was covered in blood.

No, really. There were two HUGE circles of blood on the front of my shirt.

I pulled it up over my head, turned it around and looked at it.
No wonder the announcer has been silent, I looked as if I had been stabbed twice.
Ah.
I checked my nipples. Huh. Don't seem to be any worse for wear, ....so I put on my nice dry shirt, changed my socks (There is no finer feeling then nice, dry socks) and headed home.
===
I'm sure someone must have heard me, but no police came to my door. I turned on the shower water, got it to a hot-but-not-so-hot condition and climbed in the tub.
-----Two crashes on bicycles have led to two broken shoulders, my back has gone out in the past very painfully, I once hit my left index finger full on with a hammer ----nothing was like the pain of that hot water on those two sweet tender protuberances. I bit down hard on the side of my mouth, but that didn't help. The screams actually did more to relieve the condition than anything else.

Very good screams, by the way, Oscar winning level, I'm sure.

I now only use cotton t-shirts on long runs. I still don't tape anything, it always seems to come off about eight miles into a run and that makes an uncomfortable nuisance.
I no longer bleed like a stuck samurai when running.

Either I've lost enough weight to stop the motion or I have on my nipples what every guitarist wants on his fingertips.
Joe(calluses)Nation
dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
@Joe Nation,
Awwww...that story is kind of the guy equivalent of something every woman dreads....

And...finally a man who understands nipple pain!!!!!!

Brings tears to the eyes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
It
Quote:
Presently I have decided to get rid of the rest of this gut I packed on last December----gggrrrrr--- MHR formula say (200-63)*75 percent = about 120bpm for maximum fat burn. THAT's really slow I'll bet.

Thomas
Quote:
It does sound slow to me. What was your average heart rate during the marathon?

Average 145 Max 163 Resting 44
Joe(hup..hup..hup hup hup.)nation
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
Resting 44? WOW! Guess it doesn't make a big difference if you use zero or your resting heart rate as your baseline.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:38 pm
@Thomas,
Joes like a whale
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
I know. That's why I'm hunting him in every race we run. Never get him though.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:12 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Joe's like a whale
Re: farmerman (Post 4417420)
Quote:
I know. That's why I'm hunting him in every race we run. Never get him though.

I thought I saw someone dressed as Ahab in the last half marathon.

Joe(not going to wear that white t-shirt anymore.)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:54 am
I don't often get to be at the top of anything: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1000MileClub/YTDDistance
Joe(what a big grin on my chin)Nation