OmSigDAVID

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:04 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Being lazy and not overdoing it also not new.
Did I commit myself to be NEW ?
Am I in default of such a committment ?????

parados wrote:
You are nothing but a conservative David
even in your supposed attempt to be liberal you still end up being conservative.
Have I been conserving the paradime of spelling to your satisfaction ??
plainoldme

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
I particularly enjoyed the people who want those who eat dinner in the homes of others for a fee, "boarders," to be watched.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, you are conserving the image of conservatives being lazy and not very intelligent. Keep up the good work
OmSigDAVID

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:58 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Actually, you are conserving the image of conservatives being lazy and not very intelligent. Keep up the good work
Your reply is both non-responsive and false.
It also assumes facts which r not in evidence.
parados

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 12:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How can something be both false and assume facts not in evidence?
OmSigDAVID

Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:36 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
How can something be both false and assume facts not in evidence?
Well (for one thing), your assumption can be false and it IS.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 08:15 am
Does the Tea Party have staying power?

Quote:
Will the Tea Party continue to have staying power as a political force? It certainly has shown its muscle in the spending fight. And Bachmann’s potential presidential candidacy wouldn’t be possible without the Tea Party. But a new CNN poll finds that the movement’s unfavorable rating has spiked with 47% holding a negative view of the Tea Party (versus 32% positive). That’s up from 43% unfavorable rating (versus 37% positive) back in December. It’s a trend we’ve also seen in our NBC/WSJ poll. And strikingly, independents have turned against the Tea Party. In the CNN poll, the movement has a 61%-18% fav/unfav among Republicans, a 10%-71% fav/unfav among Dems, and a 31%-48% fav/unfav among indies. More

This is what I've been saying all along. The tea party movement was one thing. Indies, myself included, loved the idea. What has become the Tea Party, however, is a horse of a different color. The tea party movement was usurped by big money and has become the home of the far right. Let 'em have it, but indies are not going to support the far right in large numbers.
MrSandman

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 08:47 am
@JPB,
In my opinion, Dem, Rep, Tea Party, Indies; it doesn't matter. On the whole our political system is defunct and I believe the majority of voters will vote party lines regardless of qualification or political agendas. In the end, it's the media who decide what and how they present candidates and it's the consumers who decide how much information they'll swallow.

I disagree with a lot of what I read on these threads, politically, but I'm glad to see the majority who post have shown some effort to discuss facts to the best of their ability.

Being more conservative, I'm finding it harder and harder to find someone whom I could say "Yes, I'll be happy with him/her in office." I know liberals who feel the same way. It's sad.

I agree with JPB, I'd be surprised if the Tea Party lasts for very long - meaning over 20 years. I kind of wish they, or another party, would - just for the addition of a little chaos for the two party system we have now.
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:17 am
@MrSandman,
It's no longer chaos but a brick wall; there is no negotiating going on at all levels of government. The GOP has become the "NO" party, and do not provide solutions, and destroy the middle class. They want the upper 10% of our society to live well, while the rest of us struggle to pay for gas and food.

They want the high income earners to pay less taxes to increase the deficit that will eventually destroy our whole economy - in the same way as Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland, and Portugal. The trend is very clear.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:38 pm

Hi income earners pay TOO MUCH in taxes,
for which nothing of equal extra value is received in exchanged.

For instance, the Navy does not protect hi income earners
MORE nor BETTER than others.

Its a scandal. Nowhere in the 16th Amendment
is the government authorized to DISCRIMINATE against taxpayers who r financially successful.

This can be done only by USURPATION
of unConstitutional power.

There shoud be a maximum
beyond which no taxpayer shall pay anything,
and any payments over that in earlier years shoud be refunded by IRS, with hi (tax free) interest.

David
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Coporations shpuldnt pay a CNI but a CGI. Why isnt FICA computed on all income and not just to some artificial cap value?? Even Bill GAtes asks that question?

We are entering another gilded age and I for one am pissed off at it. I speak as a former high earner
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Of course it does. The Navy protects not only the rich man, but also his wealth.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 08:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

People whose earnings were in the same bracket in the 1950s paid more. Yet, many of your ilk look upon that period as the Golden Age of Eisenhower.

Quote:

To use the Navy as your example is a fallacy. However, were you to have used the Department of Commerce -- which is lax in controlling these people and their enterprises -- you would be answered with a resounding yes, Commerce does protect them. Had you used the EPA, the answer would be another resounding yes as the government allows these captains of industry to pollute and poison.
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:56 pm
Your numbers up! Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:58 pm
@plainoldme,
David wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
People whose earnings were in the same bracket in the 1950s paid more.
Yet, many of your ilk look upon that period as the Golden Age of Eisenhower.
YES; the 5Os were a GOLDEN AGE.
I loved them, but the high tax rates persisted from WWII.

David
plainoldme

Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
To tell me that high taxes persisted from WWII does not answer the question.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:32 am
A colleague of mine, a woman I like, thinks Donald Trump is good-looking. I find him hideous. I just wish his enormous head weren't at the bottom of most of the political threads these days.

Trump really ought to do what Rudy Giuliani did: shave off that elaborate comb over. PErhaps, Trump is cultivating a comparison to Davy Crockett's coonskin cap.
revelette

Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:30 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
A colleague of mine, a woman I like, thinks Donald Trump is good-looking. I find him hideous.

Agreed, I don't see any kind of sex appeal to him at all and don't really understand his popularity. I imagine that republican women had the same thoughts of bill clinton though.
0 Replies

revelette

Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:35 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Congressional leaders are inching closer to a deal on how much to cut federal spending for the next six months — and pretty much ignoring the spending-cut absolutists of the tea party, the grass-roots movement that's losing influence despite having helped elect dozens of Republicans last November.

Tea party activists had hoped to send a loud message Thursday to Republican lawmakers, telling them at a long-scheduled Capitol Hill rally either to stick to tough budget-slashing principles or face the movement's wrath.

Instead, only a few hundred people showed up.

Meanwhile, inside the Capitol, experienced lawmakers of both parties reported progress toward a pragmatic budget compromise.

The weak rally showing could boomerang on tea party activists by emboldening the GOP leaders who are negotiating the federal budget with Democrats and the White House.

How all this plays out in the politics of the 2012 elections is anybody's guess, but it wouldn't be the first time a populist movement sputtered after making a splash in an election. Remember the GOP's "Contract with America" success in 1994, when Republicans won control of the House of Representatives for the first time in 40 years? The GOP lost the next two elections.

Evidence is piling up that the tea party movement has passed its peak. A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll March 11-13 found that only 32 percent of Americans viewed the tea party favorably, down 5 points from December. Those who viewed it unfavorably totaled 47 percent, up 4 from December. The survey's error margin was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

More at the source
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:40 am

The T.E.A. party is made up of real Americans... demonizing them in any way = demonizing ALL Americans.