raprap

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:47 pm
Know Nothings of the 1830 to 1850 are the model of the Tea Party.

They both seem to be political parties built upon nativism, the bible, and English only. AKA a tenet of 'I don't know and I don't want to know' seems to dominate both factions.

I don't want to make predictions, but history shows the 'Know Nothings' arose when the Whigs fractionalized and collapsed back into a two party system with the rise of the antebellum Republicans.

Rap
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Thats whhy itll be symbolic and it will really have to be a repeal. Im interested in how far Boehner will assert hisself

He's truly in a tough spot. The fact that the Repubs didn't win the Senate makes his job - both in terms of politics and policy - infinitely harder over the next two years.

Just think, if he doesn't impeach Obama next year, Ican will flat give up on him. If he compromises on taxes or HC, the tea partiers will call him a 'sell-out' and give up on him. If he shuts down the government, the media and Obama will crucify him. I can't figure out the line they are going to have to walk to maintain credibility without forcing themselves into a corner.

Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I always laugh when I hear people argue that the deficit can't be brought under control without increasing taxes.
well, the continuation of the tax breaks adds an additional 2 Terrabucks. The promise for more "tax cuts" promoes fiscal instability
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:54 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
You only think that because you're ignorant of etiquette; please try to learn proper pronunciation of the name of the new Speaker:
His gross gross gross grossvater was a teller in the Fugger bank
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
They will keep the focus of the Republicans on working to reduce the size and scope of our bloated and overreaching federal government.
Laughing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:09 pm
@farmerman,
Have another drink and search for that elusive moment of clarity you seek.
plainoldme

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:34 pm
@Green Witch,
I think you nailed it with the phrase, ". . . greater government constipation." When I watched Fahrenheit 911, and saw the wreck that the city of Flint, which is so important to the history of the labor union movement, has become, I knew that both the Democrats and the Republicans are culpable.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:38 pm
@farmerman,
In Massachusetts, the black Democratic governor was challenged by a man who formerly ran Harvard Health (I may be wrong about it being HH but he did run an HMO). Somehow, the incumbent won, to the surprise of many, including me.

There were three initiatives on the ballot, including one to reduce the relatively small (6%) state sale tax by half. I had hoped if the incumbent had gone down in flames, that the sales tax would have been reduced, leaving the smarty pants with a mess. Pun intended.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:52 pm
A victorious Republican . . . I did not catch the name, because, in the morning, I am in and out of radio listening range . . . was recorded and then presented on NPR. He said government does not make jobs; private industry does. Funny, but, every time I mention the fact that the captains of American industry have exported our jobs, some wingnut tells me it is because the Democrats tax business to the extreme. Then, I point out how the top 1% . . . but . . . that story is well known.

The other interesting quote on NPR was from an exit poll which showed that more Americans think the health care reform bill was not sufficiently comprehensive than think it should be repealed.

Finally, boenher suggested that the Republicans will listen to the American people. Which American people? I am an American person who thinks Barack Obama's centrism ought to make the Republicans cheerful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:25 pm
@H2O MAN,
Dont worry spurt, you arent an intended audience of my writing. I dont have any NAscar references so that youd better understand.
farmerman

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Just think, if he doesn't impeach Obama next year, Ican will flat give up on him.

Im sorry but I didnt get a copy of the Ican Manifesto. Are you shittin me?
Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Just think, if he doesn't impeach Obama next year, Ican will flat give up on him.

Im sorry but I didnt get a copy of the Ican Manifesto. Are you shittin me?

He truly believes that the only path to America's success lies in immediately impeaching him.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:47 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
You only think that because you're ignorant of etiquette;

Could you direct me to your posts where you sought to instill in Gunga and h2oman and others the finer points of etiquette with respect to Obama's name?

Quote:
please try to learn proper pronunciation of the name of the new Speaker:

Please try to learn how the definite article is used in English.

Why did you stop your quote where you did, High Seas? Can you say misleading? Here's the paragraph that follows the one you quoted.

Quote:
The alternative, which is to pronounce it the way its spelling suggests in English, would land Mr Boehner in the much the same unfortunate position as Israel's Ophir Pines-Paz, about whom my colleague wrote a couple of months back.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/11/pronunciation

It really doesn't matter how it's pronounced in German, because he now lives in America, which, you might know this already, uses the sound system of English.

When North Americans, like Green Witch pronounce his name as 'boner', they are simply following the sound system of English. That shouldn't be all that difficult for a bright girl like you to grasp?

When words and names come into the English language, they get the sounds of English. That's how it works. No English speaker needs to "get their mouths around German's umlauted vowels" because English doesn't have German umlauted vowels.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Well, many won, several lost. A new majority is in the House adna slimmer majority for the Senate Dems.
What effect will the teaparty freshmen have in the government?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2010/11/03/krauthammer-obama-agenda-dead-he-tried-2-year-experiment-hyper-liberalism

Quote:

“I think that the message is unmistakable that the Obama agenda is dead,” Krauthammer said on the Fox News Channel’s early morning coverage on Nov 3. “The question is how much of it is going to be repealed and how much will Obama be willing to concede. It’s clear as you projected the house is going to be Republican. I think what is going to happen is the Republicans are not going to win the Senate.”

But Krauthammer explained the GOP didn’t necessarily have to control the Senate to move legislation through.

“But I think they're going to have de facto control of the Senate in the sense that there were going to be several Democratic senators that are going to be up for re-election in two years,” he continued. “I'm thinking of a Jim Webb from Virginia. I’m thinking of some of the others. There are going to be more Democrats up for re-election than Republicans in two years in the Senate, and they’re looking at the fate of those Democrats who went with the president with his agenda and walked the plank and are now gone, and they're not going to go. And I think there will be great resistance in the Senate to any advance of the Obama agenda.”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2010/11/03/krauthammer-obama-agenda-dead-he-tried-2-year-experiment-hyper-liberalism#ixzz14HbXUSX7

The most major thing I hope is dead would be cap and trade. That's the one which could start CW-II.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 03:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I believe that Ican asserts that the only path to America's very survival lies in impeachment, no?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:56 am
@farmerman,
Don't flatter yourself farm tool, you have no audience.
You are engaged in mental masturbation and nothing more.
plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:38 am
@H2O MAN,
Laughing Drunk

Sorry, but, I suspect that many people look forward to reading farmerman. Your posts are almost on par with ican's in that they repeat and repeat the same old things and they generally lack content.
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:57 am
@plainoldme,
Sorry POMade, you are mistaken once again.

On the other hand, many people look forward to seeing you get it wrong again and again.
plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:03 am
@H2O MAN,
Ooh! An attempt at a put down! Kissy-kissy!
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:43 am
@plainoldme,
you get it wrong again and again...