H2O MAN

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:27 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

ridiculous displays of plastic filled breasts

That's better than exposure to ridiculous mush filled left wing liberal progressive democrat brains.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:39 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Freedom of Las Vegas? Elvis imitators, ridiculous displays of plastic filled breasts, gambling. So, it is a sign of freedom to be sleazy in your book? Ah, the wisdom of a Mensan!
Your evidence is skillfully marshalled; well-put. U represented your point of vu deftly.
I love Las Vegas; I've been there a lot.
Fortunately, there r not too many impostors present.

I will say this,
tho I cannot characterize it as being "wisdom";
just my sense of the situtation:
sincerely, when I am in Las Vegas,
I feel that I breathe in freedom.

It is the very distinct freedom of another world
that is not present on the Eastern Seaboard, where I dwell.
Its subjective; its what I feel. I love it.
My hotel of choice is the Golden Nugget.
I have enuf credit for its use
that I can go there now and enjoy
a week in the Golden Nugget for free.

I love to fly there, at nite.
Looking down, its a beautiful sight, from that height.

David
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Fine, I have no desire to ever visit that ecological disaster.

I like things real.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:58 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Fine, I have no desire to ever visit that ecological disaster.

I like things real.
I respect your right to your own taste.

I love New Orleans, too.
Its food makes love to my mouth.
I can 't stand jazz, but I love New Orleans.

David
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I was disappointed in New Orleans. Back in the 1960s, some people said America has only three cities: San Francisco, New York, Chicago. A few added a fourth, New Orleans.

I had been to Chicago and New York and looked forward to the other two. There just wasn't a week's worth . . . or how ever long I was there . . . of things to do in New Orleans.

I love a good meal, but, I am a good cook and I often find restaurant meals disappointing.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:43 am
@plainoldme,
I found the restaurants of New Orleans to be uniquely GOOD; ineffable.
The waitressess brought me free (unexpected) food & drink,
of which thay were proud.
To MY mind: that says a lot.

I am troubled by your objections to my syntax.
It was supposed to be lucid.
Where did I go rong ??
Was it only the fonetic spelling ?
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, it was the syntax.

I went to New Orleans once, in 1977. I guess if I had simply picked up the paper and found the local clubs where the locals went to listen to music -- Cajun and Zydeco and southern roots rock -- I might have been happier, but, I was with my ex-husband who is a tad formal and who thought the only music there was Dixieland.

Would I be impressed with the food if I returned? Who knows? I remember eating crawfish at a little Cajun dinner that was highly recommended and loving it. I remember oysters for lunch. I don't remember the dinners at all.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:28 pm
@plainoldme,
Thay r ESPECIALLY good with fish in New Orleans.
I love fish. It shoud not be overcooked. Thay do it superbly.

Ever try K-Paul's ??
We were there for the Amerian Mensa Annual Gathering of 2005, just before Katrina.

Can u point to any specific problem in my syntax ?
What was the WORST of it ??

David
farmerman

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:55 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
There just wasn't a week's worth . . . or how ever long I was there . . . of things to do in New Orleans.

Obviously you didnt look too hard. Of course back in the 1960's Nawlins was still pretty gritty. Even the JAx Brewery was still in the quarter.
I lived there for half a year in the 80's Ive been down there many times since and, in my estimateion NAwlins restaurants are like those in any other city, many great, many crap. The tourist restaurants like K Paul or Antoines have outlived their time.
As far as not having anything to do, you have to slow down and walk so the heat doesnt bother you in the summer or the cold rain in the winter.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:16 pm
@farmerman,
Haven't been back to Naw-lins in many a decade, but believe they've pretty much recovered in the French Quarter where most of the clubs and restaurants are. Would like to return some day.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
K-Paul's didn't exist when I was there.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:31 pm
@farmerman,
I wasn't there in the 60s.

My ex and I went to Al Hirt's night club. He chose but he was disappointed because he had only heard of Hirt but had no idea what sort of music Hirt played.

I spent an entire day in the French Quarter antique shops, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also took the Plantation tour. All the museums were closed for some reason or other while I was there.

I agree that all cities have restaurants that are crap and others that are great.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:33 pm
@plainoldme,
pom, Did you do Laura's Plantation tour?
plainoldme

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
That was 34 years ago. I have no idea what the name of the tour was.

My ex was working the trade end of a scientific convention. He was the technical back-up to the sales staff of small company that built machines to do non-destructive testing and CAD-CAM driven printers. I just took the tour that was offered to those who accompanied their spouses.

We went to the plantation that had been used as the set for a Bette Davis movie, probably Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, which was a rather grand home, and then to what we were told was a more typical plantation that reminded me of the Tidewater region house in the Henry Ford Museum's Greenfield Village.
0 Replies

revelette

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 08:40 am
I don't know about the rest of you, but this threw me for a loop.

Extension of Patriot Act provisions fails in House
Tea Party-backed freshman Republicans among those opposed
JPB

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:14 am
@revelette,
Why did it throw you for a loop?
revelette

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:29 am
@JPB,
Merely surprised republicans voted against extending the patriot act. I am just wondering what Palin will make of it and how she will respond, given her usual pretty standard stance on security and all.

For the most part, I think some (the administration) democrats in congress have come around to thinking those measure are a necessary evil. It is like at first, it seemed unthinkable to mess with civil liberties and now they have quietly accepted it must be done without coming out and saying so. As for myself, I think some of them go too far in giving too much latitude for intelligence to make judgement calls. I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with those freshmen tea partiers.
JPB

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:19 am
@revelette,
I think Palin is one voice of the Tea Party, but hopefully those tea party movement jr Reps represent more of what the movement was about - libertarian views against large government. If the 7 tea party supported representatives had voted along party lines then it would have passed. I've long been supportive of the original concepts of the tea party movement. They lost me when folks like SP became their voice.

Quote:
From Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, Domenico Montanaro, and Ali Weinberg
*** Tea Party defiance: In a defeat last night for House Republican leaders, legislation to extend certain Patriot Act programs was unable to get the two-thirds vote needed for passage as 26 Republicans voted no, including seven freshmen who are associated with the Tea Party. Per NBC’s Luke Russert, the vote -- 277 to 148 -- represented the first insurrection against the House GOP leadership by its freshman members since it was expected to pass easily. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX) blamed Democrats for the defeat. “I am surprised that so many Democrats who supported an extension of these very same provisions last Congress suddenly changed their votes,” he said in a statement. “It’s unfortunate that partisan politics seems to have prevented so many Democrats from doing what’s best for America’s national security.” But when your party controls the House, and when 26 of your members voted against, it’s hard to pass the blame (and it was the House GOP leaders, after all, who made the decision to bring the bill to the floor under these rules). As Russert notes, had those seven Tea Party freshmen voted yes, the legislation would have passed.

*** Was the failure really surprising? Still, House Republicans can vote again on the legislation under regular procedures that would require only a simple majority. While the legislation last night was expected to pass, we probably shouldn’t be surprised that an issue like the Patriot Act was able to unite libertarian-leaning Tea Party folks and liberals. The question for House GOP leaders -- as well as the Obama White House -- is what the vote means on future matters, such as the upcoming push to raise the debt ceiling. This was the first test of the vote-counting abilities of the House GOP leadership. And either they knew this was going to go down and wanted to make a point, or they were surprised, which means their job in keeping their caucus in line is going to be as tough as the so-called "Conventional Wisdom" crowd has been predicting. Source
revelette

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:28 am
@JPB,
I guess the tea party is pretty diverse, I really didn't know that. I have only heard a certain segment who sounded an awful lot like regular republicans. It is also kind of weird like the republican pointed out that some of democrats who voted for the extension last time, voted against this time.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 9 Feb, 2011 12:19 pm

I never favored the Patriot Act.

David