MontereyJack

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:59 am
Two police officers down yesterday, one killed, one critically wounded, trying to take down a known violent criminal. Their chief described them as
"highly-trained, highly armed, and extremely protective of their own safety",( rough quote). They were also apparently backed up by a weapons squad. It didn't help. Of course if guns weren't nearly as available as chewing gum to virtually everybody, including the known violent felon, they'd still be alive and unharmed. Good work, David. Keep it up (for the sarcasm-challenged, are you paying attention, David?, that was sarcasm).
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:28 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
So, is the Republican leadership unable to see through childish logical fallacies? No.

This is the most important sentence in Krugman's editorial.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Let's face it, dave. You are just plain nuts.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:36 am
@revelette,
You are brave to state that carrying a gun would detract from your enjoyment of outdoor activities on a thread in which david is participating. He's probably going to post how a gun enhances your enjoyment.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Two police officers down yesterday, one killed, one critically wounded, trying to take down a known violent criminal. Their chief described them as
"highly-trained, highly armed, and extremely protective of their own safety",( rough quote). They were also apparently backed up by a weapons squad. It didn't help. Of course if guns weren't nearly as available as chewing gum to virtually everybody, including the known violent felon, they'd still be alive and unharmed. Good work, David. Keep it up (for the sarcasm-challenged, are you paying attention, David?, that was sarcasm).
Before Columbus discovered America, people were making their own guns,
tho thay had NO electric tools, nor any cool, modern engineering plans available
from libraries and from the Internet.

WITH the aid of electric tools,
it is much faster and easier for amateur gunsmiths
to get the job done, like bathtub gin in the 1920s,
or if thay r too lazy to do it themselves, then thay
can get guns from blackmarket gunsmiths,
the same as thay get marijuana freely.

That 's the truth,
sarcastic or not.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:27 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Let's face it, dave. You are just plain nuts.
Maybe in your psychotic delusions.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:29 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You are brave to state that carrying a gun would detract from your enjoyment of outdoor activities on a thread in which david is participating.

He's probably going to post how a gun enhances your enjoyment.
Yes, of course. Target shooting is a lot of fun and it is wise to be well armed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So was I.
OK, in that case,
lemme point out that some attacks of wild animals
have been stopped while he is charging,
by blasting him with a sufficiently powerful gun.

In this case, after the attack was in progress,
IF the woman (witnessing the ingestion event)
had a gun, she coud have put it in the lion' s ear
and blasted away. That woud have ended the
munching n nibbling faster than it did.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:10 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
You are brave to state that carrying a gun would detract from your enjoyment of outdoor activities on a thread in which david is participating.
Actually I was the one who brought the subject up based upon my own experience. While Dave and I are at separate ends of the spectrum (re guns and politics). I carry a handgun when Im in the deep woods (Not my own little 10 acre woodlot) but in Maine as an example. JTT's "numbers" are just incorrect as anyone could have seen just from the numbers in NJ for the lst decade.
When Im in the deep woods, I put a holster in my belt and carry a gun and dont even think about it until I get in my car when I take it apart and carry the ammo and the gun separately. In this one area I have to agree with DAve because you only need be threatened by a wild animal just ONCE. It is amazing how much gun religion you then acquire. The one time I was threatened I was alone in a mine area in Colorado north of Canon City where a femalel cougar was just over a rise and was playing with me by staying ahead and to one side and then she got above me on some rocks and then disappeared for a while. I was nervous to say the lest and that was the last time I did NOT carry in the deep woods or wild areas.

Maybe I just get out in the big country more than JTT or you.
edgarblythe

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:45 pm
@farmerman,
I too believe in a gun in some situations. I have owned three pistols and a rifle, in my lifetime. I just don't have the occasion to need one these days, so I don't keep any on hand.
Ragman

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Personally, I throw my bullets and ammunition manually. I find that if I use an overhand motion, it can leave a nasty bruise that lasts for days. Farmerman, it's 'speshally good as a deterrent for those nasty cougar-ladies here in retirement areas like Sarasota. Those cougars can be VERRY demanding for sex.
farmerman

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:39 pm
@Ragman,
The only problem with Merkin is that almost every word has sixteen meanings
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:41 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, I know you brought it up. Your scenario is reasonable. I have seen a bear in my yard. I am a rather small woman so I avoid the woods as a practice although my son climbs the local mountain frequently. He's never reported seeing a bear there.

Actually, I was referring back to another post made months ago, possibly by dave, possibly by okie, which I think quoted Jefferson on using a gun as a form of recreation.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:59 pm
Part of me wishes the following story is true. After all, so many of us are tired of these two.

But, another part of me is concerned that if todd has been dickie dunking, then a wave of sympathy might buoy sarah.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/todd_palin_sex_scandal_prostitute_shailey_tripp_exclusive/celebrity/70033
OmSigDAVID

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:55 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Oh, I know you brought it up. Your scenario is reasonable. I have seen a bear in my yard. I am a rather small woman so I avoid the woods as a practice although my son climbs the local mountain frequently. He's never reported seeing a bear there.

Actually, I was referring back to another post made months ago, possibly by dave, possibly by okie, which I think quoted Jefferson on using a gun as a form of recreation.
There survives a letter from The Author of the Declaration of Independence,
America 's 3rd President and the Founder of the University of Virginia
to his 12 year old nephew wherein he warns the boy to always take his gun with him
when he goes out walking, and advised him to practice with it for proficiency.
(Indeed, it was deemed reckless and irresponsible
to go around unarmed, and it was illegal, in some instances.)

Maybe Thomas Jefferson did not want his nephew
to be torn apart by bears nor cougars.

(Someone ELSE I coud mention seems LESS
concerned about that qua her own child.)

David
OmSigDAVID

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:12 am
@plainoldme,
The late raconteur, Gene Shephard,
told of going to visit an old Army pal
out west, after some years.
He lived in a forest.
When Shep arrived, his friend was absent,
but he was welcomed by his wife n 12 year old son,
who suggested that thay pass the time fishing
at a good hole he knew, so he got the fishing
equipment and threw it in his jeep
along with a .45 automatic.

When thay returned from fishing,
the boy 's mom came out of the house,
apparently upset. She yelled to the boy:
"Billy, did u take your .45 with u when u
went out?? He looked down, sheepishly,
and said: "yes, Mom."

She yelled back at him:
"Billy, how many times do I have to TELL u??
NEVER go out there with anything LESS than a .30-30!!! "
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:33 pm
Let's spice things up a bit (apologies for the length of this piece):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-vf7bCybQ
0 Replies

parados

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 02:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I find it funny that you speculate why Jefferson urged his nephew to take his gun when there is no need to speculate. Jefferson gives the reason in the letter and it has nothing to do with protection from bears or cougars.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
I find it funny that you speculate why Jefferson urged his nephew to take his gun when there is no need to speculate. Jefferson gives the reason in the letter and it has nothing to do with protection from bears or cougars.
I remember him commenting favorably upon
gunnery practice building character,
but I deny that there was anything speculative
nor inaccurate in my earlier post.

I fail to understand your objection.

Indeed, it had been illegal,
in some of the colonies, for the subjects
to go to Church in an unarmed condition.
Apparently, thay had been losing too many Christians en route.
(IRRESPONSIBLE Christians, unarmed.)

David
JTT

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The one time I was threatened I was alone in a mine area in

You've been watched more times than you'll ever know, Farmer.
0 Replies